As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn your books! [eReaders] are here!

1202122232426»

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Has anyone had any experience with the newer Kobo readers? I've got my eye on the H20 to replace my first-gen Nook Glowlight. However, at that price point I REALLY want to know I'm getting a better reading experience. Reviews seem pretty good, with the one complaint being that it's processor is a bit anemic. I don't consider that a show-stopper, however, as I have a tablet to do anything besides actually read books.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I love my Kobo Aura, but the H20 is a year newer than it. I haven't had any issues with it and Calibre lets you manage collections on the device with the proper settings.

I don't really know how to talk it up any. My Nook Touch worked just fine and after I upgraded to my Kobo Aura, it works just fine.

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Did you see any noticeable difference in terms of screen resolution? I know the newer models have higher DPI, but I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons to see if that makes a difference.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I had the Aura HD for a few months, and that had the same resolution as the H2O. Against the Paperwhite I had immediately prior, I found the resolution difference was quite stark. It was also pretty good with PDFs (I got it partly for textbooks), or at least as good as PDFs on an ereader tend to get.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I can notice a difference in resolution going from Nook Touch to Kobo Aura, but I'm pretty sure your Nook Glow has a better resolution than the Touch. You might want to look at specs to see if there's a different between the Aura and the Glow.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The Aura HD and Aura H2O have something crazy like 1440x1090 screens, whereas the Aura is 1024x758 (10 pixels off 768 for some reason).

Edit: 1440x1080, not 1090. Whoops.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with the newer Kobo readers? I've got my eye on the H20 to replace my first-gen Nook Glowlight. However, at that price point I REALLY want to know I'm getting a better reading experience. Reviews seem pretty good, with the one complaint being that it's processor is a bit anemic. I don't consider that a show-stopper, however, as I have a tablet to do anything besides actually read books.

This Xmas I upgraded from a nook simple touch to a kobo aura. The nook was great for its time but the aura is a awesome device, I love how there is no raised bezel, everything works really well. The H20 is basically the same thing but waterproof so it seems like a win to me if you need that.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be traveling a lot for work soon and will probably have more time to read. So I'd like to upgrade and get a new Kindle. Nothing against the other e-readers, but I've had Kindles in the past and am already pretty steeped in the Amazon ecosystem (for better or worse), so I'd like to stick with that.

The Paperwhite seems to be all the rage, but the Voyage also came out somewhat recently. Anyone here have any personal experience with the Voyage, and if so, how would you compare it to the Paperwhite? I've read some comparisons online, but it's tough to tell if the extra money is worth it. Personal opinions always sway me more than anything.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I'm going to be traveling a lot for work soon and will probably have more time to read. So I'd like to upgrade and get a new Kindle. Nothing against the other e-readers, but I've had Kindles in the past and am already pretty steeped in the Amazon ecosystem (for better or worse), so I'd like to stick with that.

The Paperwhite seems to be all the rage, but the Voyage also came out somewhat recently. Anyone here have any personal experience with the Voyage, and if so, how would you compare it to the Paperwhite? I've read some comparisons online, but it's tough to tell if the extra money is worth it. Personal opinions always sway me more than anything.

I've had the Voyage for a few months now, and I or my wife have had every generation of Paperwhite. I love the Voyage, but all of its advantages over the Paperwhite are nonessential. The resolution is a little higher, and while I used to think those upgrades were fairly significant, we've hit a point with modern Kindles where the upgrades just aren't that noticeable. The resolution is great no matter which one you get. Not having a bezel around the screen gives a cleaner look, which I like. But my favorite feature is the pagepress buttons or whatever they're calling it. They're not really distinct buttons. You just sort of squeeze the side of the kindle to flip pages. I prefer that immensely to tapping the screen, and it was the main feature that got me to pick up a Voyage. It really is quite convenient. But as far as best bang for your buck, I think the Paperwhite wins, hands down. Only get the Voyage if you want to splurge on some flashy stuff.

• Options
    Yeah, the page press buttons are the main things that really make me want the Voyage. I haven't bought a new Kindle since the third generation with the keyboard and physical buttons to turn the page. I don't much like the idea of having to swipe or tap for page turns. But now that one died and it was getting a bit long in the tooth anyway. I'd love to have another kindle with actual buttons to turn the page, but I don't know if that's enough to justify the extra money.

Does Best Buy or somewhere have these on display where I can look at them? Maybe the screen difference is more significant in person than it looks in videos.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Check your library. The swiping doesn't bother me anymore, it just takes a short gesture; you're not physically flipping paper.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea the tapping the screen to turn the page really is no big deal. Took me approximately 3 times to get over not having buttons. I personally don't think the Voyage is worth the $100 premium just to not have to touch the screen to turn the page.

(not that I have a choice in the matter anyway. They're only selling the Voyage in the US currently)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea the tapping the screen to turn the page really is no big deal. Took me approximately 3 times to get over not having buttons. I personally don't think the Voyage is worth the $100 premium just to not have to touch the screen to turn the page.

(not that I have a choice in the matter anyway. They're only selling the Voyage in the US currently)

That's not true. Not sure if you're referring to a physical store or what but Amazon is definitely selling paperwhites, wifi and 3g models.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8GOWU/ref=fs_kp

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »

That's not true. Not sure if you're referring to a physical store or what but Amazon is definitely selling paperwhites, wifi and 3g models.

Not sure if you misread me or I poorly worded it, but I mean that the only place that Amazon sells the Voyage is in the US. Paperwhite is sold everywhere, Voyage is sold only in the US.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »

Not sure if you misread me or I poorly worded it, but I mean that the only place that Amazon sells the Voyage is in the US. Paperwhite is sold everywhere, Voyage is sold only in the US.

Ok, I get it. I read it as only the Voyage is available in the US which is total opposite day from what you said. I make no excuses for lack of reading comprehension.

I personally upgraded from the Kindle Keyboard to the Paperwhite and thought it was the best electronic upgrade ever (coming from someone who reads before bed a lot). I upgraded from the Paperwhite 1 to the 2 because I'm me. I haven't made the leap to the Voyage because I don't see a reason to with the price difference plus a good portion of the early models had that back light gradient issue.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    I ended up getting the Voyage. Seeing and looking at it in person convinced me. The flush screen, tactile page turn buttons, auto brightness and better resolution were enough to push me over the edge. Any one of those on their own wouldn't have done it, but altogether, I couldn't pass it up.

Really liking it so far. This thing is like a revelation coming from a 3rd Gen Kindle. I just need to find a good case for it now.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I ended up getting the Voyage. Seeing and looking at it in person convinced me. The flush screen, tactile page turn buttons, auto brightness and better resolution were enough to push me over the edge. Any one of those on their own wouldn't have done it, but altogether, I couldn't pass it up.

Really liking it so far. This thing is like a revelation coming from a 3rd Gen Kindle. I just need to find a good case for it now.

As always, the Amazon cases are expensive but very nice.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ya the flush screen on my kobo aura is so great. The only thing I'm jealous about vs the Voyage is the auto brightness sensor but i mean.. that's not exactly a big deal...

I'm really curious about whatever the next kobo aura is going to be post H20, aside from resolution I mean, what else can do push into these things.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Colour or a faster refresh speed would be the next big things. But right now for reading books they're pretty much at the peak.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    http://oberondesign.com/

I keep shilling their stuff, but I've gotten Oberon Design cases for every Kindle I've owned and they are amazing.

edit: Here's my current one:
    10507130_889982414358310_892912167434146230_o.jpg

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png