As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel: What do you think we pay you for?

13»

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Furu wrote:
    He did most of New X-Men and that was a monthly, right?

[spoiler:7aebafc7c5]Traced the whole damn thing[/spoiler:7aebafc7c5]

Marathon on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Furu wrote:

I think he was supposed to do all, then it went from that to calling other artists to draw the thing at like five in the morning on Christmas.

august on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Guys, are you sure Greg Land has ever drawn anything decent by himself?

Because I don't think drawing=tracing. Tracing is much, much easier, isn't it? You just need a steady hand and a good eye, don't you?

Also, according to this wikipedia article on Greg Land
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Land#_note-gutter
    It says that he worked for 10 years at screen printing company.

If you're familiar with screen printing, it might explain some things.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_printing
    He was probably the guy who made stencils.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Furu wrote:

I would say that more of New X-Men was done by Not Frank Quietly than by Frank Quietly.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    august wrote:
    I think he backed off on that.
    He's obviously so busy writing ASB&R. You know when your comic is passed by Frank Quitely something is wrong.

Although I guess he might be busy with that 300 movie. Maybe.

Jim Lee said that the delays on the book are his fault, I guess.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Huh. I already didn't like his work just because every character seems to have an expression yanked from Gary's mod, but now I have even more reason to not like it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Huh. I already didn't like his work just because every character seems to have an expression yanked from Gary's mod, but now I have even more reason to not like it.

Haha

remember that Half Life 2 webcomic starring Gordon Frohman?

Good stuff.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    SA wrote:

Haha

remember that Half Life 2 webcomic starring Gordon Frohman?

Good stuff.

Concerned?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm imagining Greg Land starring in a variation of the tracer scene from Chasing Amy. Someone needs to find him at a convention and make it happen.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If i see him at a convention I'll ask him for an autograph. Or specifically i'll bring a print out of his own signature and tell him that he can just trace over it. :)

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DraXXXen wrote:
    If i see him at a convention I'll ask him for an autograph. Or specifically i'll bring a print out of his own signature and tell him that he can just trace over it. :)

That would be awesome.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Land is hopefully screwed. lol late to page one

This is certainly a good move on Marvel's part. Perhaps it will encourage creativity.

Hey hugh

frank quitely is rad

everything is straight out of his mind

the only rough spot is his faces, and he seems to be improving on that.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, Frank Quitely's faces bug me a lot. Except for Clark Kent in that last issue of All Star Superman. That was perfect

I also hate the soft shading that's usually used with his art

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Frank Miller is so fucking out of his mind.

Did he really drop out of Batman vs. Al Quaeda?

You're out of your mind.
    ASB&R is awesome.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    DraXXXen wrote:

It's easy to talk the big talk on the intertron machine, but if you ever met him at a convention you'd be more likely to quietly skulk away than insult him.
    And if you are somehow socially inept enough to actually go through with it he'd be in the right to kick your stupid ass.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    I think the only person I would yell at at a convention would be Michael Turner

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    OH man, I would probably flip shit on that guy. Him and Liefield. I just get furious at the very mention of their names.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    OH man, I would probably flip shit on that guy. Him and Liefield. I just get furious at the very mention of their names.

Rob Liefield is actually a really nice dude.
    He's the guy everyone seems to love ripping on, but I've never seen him be anything but stellar with fans.

Also, everyone saying "I would tell off creator X" is both a liar, and a shit.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I heard Michael Turner is a dick

also, manifest, if i see you at a convention i will tell you your book sucks, just for shits

(i'd probably say hi)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, Rob is like Keanu. They both know they suck.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, I do not care enough to really flip shit on anyone. I just like to get ridiculous on the internet from time to time.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I heard Michael Turner is a dick

also, manifest, if i see you at a convention i will tell you your book sucks, just for shits

(i'd probably say hi)

If you did that I'd probably high five you.
    But that's just how I roll.
    Yeah, I do not care enough to really flip shit on anyone. I just like to get ridiculous on the internet from time to time.

For admitting this you've been rewarded 10 cool points, redeemable at a later date.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    oh hey, Eric Battle is going to be at my comic shop on Saturday

all i've seen of his work is the story with Aquaman and Wonder Woman that's at the end of the Tower of Babel trade

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Manifest wrote:

For admitting this you've been rewarded 10 cool points, redeemable at a later date.

Awesome! I enjoy being bombastic from time to time, both "IRL" and on the net.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

Doug - "Where the fuck is that Liefeld? Im gunna kill that bitch!"

Rob - "Hi there, would you like a sketch?"

Doug - "Yes sir..thank you"

:rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I might take a Liefield sketch, if it was for free. Then, I would sell it some moron for as much money as I could get and go buy some good comics.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Why does everybody think I hate Quietly? He is on the shortlist for my favorite artists!

I'm just saying he's slow as mole asses.

Also on the list is JH Williams because ohmygoshsevensoldiersissueone

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Oh, ok. Was the Morrison-Quitely team-up for X-men as awesome as it was for We3? That book has some of the most amazing panels and layouts I have ever seen. Especially the stuff with Tinker moving really fast.

Man, that was a lot of hyphens!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Oh, ok. Was the Morrison-Quitely team-up for X-men as awesome as it was for We3? That book has some of the most amazing panels and layouts I have ever seen. Especially the stuff with Tinker moving really fast.

it was 3

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

It's a lot more straight-ahead, panel structure-wise. The art is awesome and weird and neat, but Quietly got really behind so there's not very much of it. New X-Men is fantastic, definitely a high-point for both Morrison and the X-Men in general.

edit: on his 2002 year-in-review, the X-Axis guy says that of the fifteen New X-Men issues he reviewed in 2002, only four of them were drawn by Quietly.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006

All-Star Superman has some really nice panel layouts. I'd say that's Quitely's continuation of experimentation into the formal qualities of comics.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg