As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Challenge Coin - Additional coins available

SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of DestructionRegistered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
PAX PRIME 2015 CHALLENGE COIN
fbds0.jpg

Time to start planning the one true coin (no waiting for badges this year). A challenge coin is a unique souvenir that will display your participation in this year’s event. Each Pax an unofficial coin is designed specifically for the event by this community.

HISTORY:
This will be the Twelfth Challenge Coin this community has produced. Go to the wiki page for links to all the previous threads.

DESIGN:

UPDATE: July 6, 2015

The order form is now live. Please read the following before clicking the link:

Coins are $5 each. If you live in the USA, shipping is a flat $3 for your order. If you live outside the USA, shipping is $14 for 1 - 6 coins, and $30 for 7+ coins.
Use this form as a cheat sheet to find out your total price:
Pax Prime 2015 Challenge Coin Cheat Sheet for Pricing

Once you have your total price, please send the total payment via PayPal to cointraders@gmail.com this is the PayPal account for Kiddercorp who we are using to make the coin this year. The shipping address on your PayPal account will not be used, the address you put in the order form will be the one used for shipping.

After your payment has been made, take note of your transaction ID as you will need it when filling out the order form.
Click this link and fill out your order:

PAX PRIME 2015 CHALLENGE COIN ORDER FORM

Regarding WillCall orders this year:
If you have a legitimate reason you cannot pay for shipping, I will be ordering some extra coins and will be able to drop them off at your hotel. You can PM me here and we can work out the details. I expect there will also be some extra coins from the initial run that Alex with Kindercorp will have available at Pax as well. This all depends on how many coins are ordered though.

UPDATE: July 28, 2015

Here is a look at the finished coin:
aYkK7WTl.jpg

More are shipping out every day.

7 coins remain from the initial 200 order to get yours by Pax. After they sell out we will look to see if there is enough demand for another run.

UPDATE: June 29, 2015

Here is the final artwork:
http://i.imgur.com/oJDyi4g.jpg

Unless anyone can find an error, such as spelling mistake, then I think we are good to go.

I will wait until this afternoon to give final approval, and then we can get the die made and start the ordering process.

UPDATE: April 22, 2015

Voting is now open for the face of the coin:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZCx6aBEKDgofQtoq41hK-PiWtWe29c7rnWluYg3XLj0/viewform?usp=send_form

Please feel free to campaign for your favorite and even work up a rough design.

Voting will close 1 week from today on April 29th at 9:00am Pacific.

March 26, 2015

Here is the voting page for the Seattle Landmark:

Seattle Landmark to be used

Voting will be open for one week. So the deadline is April 2nd at 9:00am Pacific.

March 10, 2015

Here are the known design elements:
Size: 1.75"
Finish: Antique bronze
Edge: Reeded

The unknowns we will figure out here:
Face of the Coin: For the face we know we will use the standard Welcome Home / pac-man (& new Ms. pac-man) / Numquam Mentula Es (Don't be a dick) encircling a design. The design is always something that relates to Pax / Gaming.
The missing piece is what will be the center design. In the past we have had a theme rotation (Handheld, Console, Tabletop, PC, Arcade) but since we have gone through the full rotation we can choose to start over at Handheld, or create a whole new theme.

Reverse of the Coin: For the reverse we always use a prominent feature of the host city. For Prime we have used the Space Needle, Convention Center, Pike Place Market, a Ferry, & the Paramount Theatre.
NOTE: Since this is an unofficial coin we cannot use any Pax logos or any images of Gabe, Tycho, & PA without prior approval.

MANUFACTURING (Big potential change here!):
In recent years we have always used Phoenix Challenge Coins and they have done great work for us. However, during the East coin planning, a forum member pitched the idea of using his families company. He felt he could get us a lower price & still offer us better service. He has been to Pax East so this is also an added benefit that our distributor shares our gaming interests.

The user is akidderz and his company is Kiddercorp. The website is www.kiddercorp.com and they do mainly military coins, bottle openers and belt buckles. akidderz sent myself & SutibunRi both sample coins to look at. They were all really well made and look great.

It will be up to the community, but I think we should try them out and see how well they do for us.

SCHEDULE:
This is a rough schedule to make sure we stay on track and we all get the coin before PAX.

Design Finalized on our end; submit to artist for any modifications needed: June 5
Final design submitted, die production started, orders placed: June 19th.
Coin production starts: July 10th.
Coins ship out: July 31st.

QUESTIONS:
If you have any questions please post them here.

IhtGIyi.png
SkeleVader on

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    First line of business is to let us know your thoughts on using a new company to make the coin.

Second, shoot out ideas for the front & back of the coin. They don't have to be well thought out at this point, just somewhere to get us started.

IhtGIyi.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Would love to see the Monorail we talked about last year on the back this year.

4lW84tnl.png

As for another company, I am down with whatever. I would love to give Phoenix our business again but if everyone is fed up with them then I will just go with the flow.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    Oh and for the front the arcade coin slot that we talked about last year would be good too:

g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

• BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    I'm new so I have no opinion on company.

But for ideas, Thornwatch seems to be big this year with the Playtests, the new Comic story, and Jerry's first chapter. So something Thornwatch/Eyrewood themed?

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Would love to see the Monorail we talked about last year on the back this year.

As for another company, I am down with whatever. I would love to give Phoenix our business again but if everyone is fed up with them then I will just go with the flow.

I do love the way that monorail & EMP look, I personally hope it wins this year.

For the company, I don't think anybody is fed up with PCC. I think PCC has done a good job, but there are areas where I have felt they are lacking. The design process always feels a little rough, and the cost feels a little high. For example, Kiddercorp does not charge a die fee.

IhtGIyi.png
  • IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    It can't hurt to try a new company once.

• Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    No opinion on company, although cheaper is good?

Just floating an idea to change the theme all together....

How about a Ramage (classic arcade) theme with the monsters climbing/destroying Seattle? huh? Huh? Am I right? or am I right?

Coat of Arms? With gaming icons on the shield? (done before? Kinda remember this...)

The TriForce co-opted for our purposes?

Dinosaurs? I'm pretty sure everyone likes dinosaurs...

• AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Any chance of seeing some pictures of the example coins from Kiddercorp?

As for ideas, I really liked some of the concept art based on the coin slot from last year. I would love to see that idea back up for consideration.

Also, in a totally unrelated sidenote...I see Kiddercorp makes poker chips, and that sure has me thinking of a spin-off thread... 8-)

Aractor on
    Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I think we should start the rotation over, but that is mostly because I can't think of a new theme.

In looking around the kidder corp site, I found this:

"If you have a quote from another coin company, and the price is comparable to Kidder Corp prices, you have a fair price. If your company's service is good and you have a nice working relationship, we recommend that you stick with your company. If you not satisfied, we would be honored to work with you."

That said, I don't have a preference one way or the other if we change companies.

And for the Seattle side of the coin, what about the museum of flight?

Edit: durrr, I can type.

DashD on

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    Personally not fussed about the company - but no die fee does take a step out of the usual process

add a +1 for the monorail design

DashD wrote: »
    And for the Seattle side of the coin, what about the museum of flight?

We went there last year for the first time and it was amazing! I would be down for this or the Monorail/EMP. Both places are great memories of Seattle for us.

DashD wrote: »
    I think we should start the rotation over, but that is mostly because I can't think of a new theme.

What about a VR category? I am seeing more and more Oculus games in the Indy areas. Might be a nice way to honor a newer genre of gaming.

Options off the top of my head:
    - Oculus
    - Virtual Boy
    - Sega VR
    - A specific game (eg keep talking and no one blows up)

• I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    My only problems with PCC was last year my coin case arrived with a huge sticker from them covering one side of the coin. It was a pain to get off. I would have payed extra for them to give me a coin case with no sticker on it.

I am fine with either option. Since kiddercorp is over on the East coast, is there going to be a shipping fee? I saw PCC doesn't charge for shipping.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • skitterbugskitterbug Registered User regular
    I personally didn't have a huge problem with PCC, a few of my coins had chipped cases last year but no big. I do however think it could be a good thing to at least try and branch out to a new company. I also would like to know about shipping.

For a landmark the Great Wheel could be awesome. For the other side maybe we could find a way to combine the gaming types. I feel like most of us fall under several categories of gamers and sharing the love is always a good thing. :biggrin:

*~o(^.^)o~*
    I like the VR idea. The technology is starting to get very competitive.

I pitched an idea in the East thread for this year that was to parody the "simulator" games and create "Line Simulator 2015".

We could also try and go back to the original roots of the coin and pick a PAX convention specific idea. For example the first coin was a DS being held up because at the concerts people hold their DS up like a lighter (or cell phone) at standard concerts.

IhtGIyi.png
    One other idea that came to mind is has retro gaming ever been talked about as a theme?

• DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    Throwing another idea into the ring for the PAX side - Cosplay.

jparp8146qaj.png
  • flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    SkeleVader if this other vendor is the same one who sent some samples for this year's East challenge coin, then I'm all for it. As the quality of the coins are much much better, imo, and at ~ the same price. So a big yes with regards to changing vendors.

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Hmmm...How about the Elephand Car wash? exo7zxwi613y.jpg

My friend had an idea for a bunch of clouds, and a label that says "Mt Rainer", which I thought was rather clever. Or the Blue Angels flying over a Hydroplane, something from SeaFair
    As for the back...Not sure.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    For the reverse image I like the monorail suggestion, but if you guys prefer to go in a different direction, I suggest the Troll. It's a fun & weird Seattle feature. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Troll)

Arcade slot sounds good for the front image.

Since it sounds like people can vouch for the quality, as long as the price is comparable or better, it doesn't hurt to give a new business a try.

• sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    Monorail! Monorail! Monorail! (aka - we should totally do the monorail!). The Elephant car wash is also cool.

As for the theme part - I think deviating from handheld etc would be good. VR or something sounds good...I have no real useful ideas for this, other than saying yes do something else :)

And for the manufacturer - Phoenix has been doing an awesome job. But I'm also OK with trying someone else once. If it goes well, we have options. If it doesn't go well, we go back to Phoenix. No big deal. I think after 12 coins (maybe not all of them were by Phoenix but I think most were) we could try and branch out. Test the waters.

• BrewtiConBrewtiCon Registered User regular
    I'd vote for the Fremont Troll on the reverse side. Cool idea, and very popular here in the area (at least it is to me during beer week).

I also want to second the VR idea for the face. That sounds great as a new theme without having to restart a pattern.

Take a look at my pins
    Well, the thing about the Monorail is that, according to my girlfriend and her friend who are hardcore Seattleites, no one who actually lives in Seattle uses the monorail. It's not a great thing, and is more of the equivalent of the "Ride the Ducks" cars. I love the idea of looking at the weirdness of the EMP, and I won't deny that the monorail looks cool, but eh...dunno. Give me a bit to get a mockup of the Car Wash back.

HLRpxno.png
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Well, the thing about the Monorail is that, according to my girlfriend and her friend who are hardcore Seattleites, no one who actually lives in Seattle uses the monorail. It's not a great thing, and is more of the equivalent of the "Ride the Ducks" cars. I love the idea of looking at the weirdness of the EMP, and I won't deny that the monorail looks cool, but eh...dunno. Give me a bit to get a mockup of the Car Wash back.

Given that most of us are tourists I could see an argument for the monorail. That said, I'd be into the Fremont troll almost as much as the monorail.

That's a fair point, and the monorail is well shown on various things about seattle. In any case, here's a rough mockup of elephant.

14pgj9mp5bf9.png

HLRpxno.png
  • PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    I'm kinda feeling the monorail, it's a fixture when tourists think of Seattle, and its time may be now. I actually do like the elephant, but I'm feeling the troll more (mostly because of the various usages of 'troll' in the world nowadays), can someone mock up the Fremont troll?

Sure thing, gimme a bit.

HLRpxno.png
  • PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    Thank you, I can haz no art skills. :sad: I also think it'll help people with their thinks on this. :smile:

Ok here ya go! And also, here's a template for anyone else to try other locations and see how they look.
    tes43ykncpv3.png

There is one problem with this, I'm not sure how well it'll come out ingraved, but the nice thing about this is it'd be easy to put some dice in the troll's hand or something.

HLRpxno.png
    The open template, you should be able to mess with it in GIMP or something.
    b0f1xpqf1egj.png

HLRpxno.png
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Another idea for the back is the Lincoln Toe Truck. I know it's living at MOHAI now, but it was a Seattle landmark for a long time.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
    Here is a blank template updated for this year:

uusVODP.png

IhtGIyi.png
  • Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    I like the idea of replacing the VW bug in the troll's hand with dice or something else gaming related.

• Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    One other idea that came to mind is has retro gaming ever been talked about as a theme?

It looks like VR is in the lead, which I'm down for, but i would take this opportunity to pitch an 8 bit backdrop for rampage with lizzy and George bashing buildings!! While i haven't done a mock up, if you look at you average screen shot, could have an easily done blocky space needle in the background and it would be Seattle!
    Also, another idea might be to incorporate all, or many of the game development and publisher companies from the region. There's a lot o_O

• skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I like the coin-op slot idea.

• brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

+1 for monorail.

I like the Rampage idea for the back, but all the suggestions have been good so far.

• jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    +1 for monorail
    +1 for coin-op slot

... Nothing else to contribute; I have no original ideas.

boTdSSK.png
  • savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    1st year for the challenge coin, as I always have come in late before. So happy to be early for once. +1 for the elephant

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
    Does anyone else have any more thoughts on back designs? It seems we have the three, Monorail, Troll and Elephant. Anyone have something new or interesting?

HLRpxno.png
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    A picture of Frasier Crane perhaps?

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.