As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Webcomics Thread: Still the Worst 1973

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    The problem is good and bad are subjective

What we need is for everyone to have their own webcomics thread and choose what to post and everyone who likes their taste comments in that thread

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Separate thread for every webcomic

Scatter us to the four winds

• Options
    I will call my webcomics thread "Dongs by Dongs"

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    We should just use the same method of thread management for webcomics that we do for anime

oh

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Terry pratchett really was alive all this time and just died? what is the first book in diskworld, or which one should I start with?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I almost always recommend starting with his first novel in the setting, The Colour of Magic

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    We should just use the same method of thread management for webcomics that we do for anime

oh

My thread will also have anime, don't tell the mods

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Much though I know some (lots?) of you don't like the suggestion, it seems relevant to mention again that everyone simply putting the comic itself behind a spoiler and leaving the name of the webcomic visible should be plenty to solve problems of not wanting to see specific webcomics that you can't adblock for whatever reason.

I still don't really see a downside to it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Terry pratchett really was alive all this time and just died? what is the first book in diskworld, or which one should I start with?

The first book was The Colour of Magic.

As far as which book to start with, there are three points I would recommend as something to try as a start:

Mort, the first book in the Death series
    Guards! Guards!, the first book in the City Watch series
    or Small Gods, which is stand-alone but still a Discworld novel

There are a lot of different "series" of books that follow different casts of characters in Discworld.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Much though I know some (lots?) of you don't like the suggestion, it seems relevant to mention again that everyone simply putting the comic itself behind a spoiler and leaving the name of the webcomic visible should be plenty to solve problems of not wanting to see specific webcomics that you can't adblock for whatever reason.

I figure people can stop being babies and just scroll past what they don't want to read.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    phd031115s.gif

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

People like to antagonize the thread pretty much.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    my favorite discworld book is Guards! Guards! and also my recommended starting point, which is the first book about Vimes and the night watch.
    the books are mostly standalone stories that don't absolutely require reading in any particular order, but even though it's not laid out clearly anywhere which books are related I recommend figuring out which stories feature a returning cast and reading those as series in order of their publication.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My first Prachett book was The Fifth Elephant which is in the latter half of the City Watch books. It's really not the best of starting points, because it has a lot of politicking in it and kind of assumes you know stuff about a number of characters already.

Like the whole thing with the talking dog and how he had an established relationship with the watch officer who had a smile that was both disarming and frightening somehow.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I liked Night Watch, The Fifth Elephant, and Going Postal

The Last Hero is a wonder, but that's less for Pratchett - it felt a bit tired to me - and more for Kidby

Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, the earlier non-Tiffany-Aching Witches books, Small Gods are all good but imo have a less personal feel - very standalone, more dependent on wordplay. A lot of Night Watch is hard to appreciate without having read the earlier Watch books, but still I prefer Vetinari at his most archetypal rather than in his earlier iterations

I think it kinda went downhill from Thud! onwards though

in non-Discworld terms, Good Omens is also really great

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Colour of Magic is good but I don't if it's really likeable until you read his other stuff

I didn't enjoy it the first time at all

It wasn't fun until I'd already put in the time with another ~20 or so discworld books

• Options
    I'd avoid the Rincewind ones entirely until you're invested in the writing style

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've always had trouble finding a way into Pratchett's books because the "suggested reading order" charts read like a West Virginia family tree.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Soon as people stop hotlinking.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I'd avoid the Rincewind ones entirely until you're invested in the writing style

I only disliked Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic originally

Sourcery is in my top 5 discworld books, and almost exclusively because of Rincewind's characterization in it

It's really good

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    00001487.jpg
    Tom wrote:
    This... guy?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mort is really good. Death talking in smallcaps is the best.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Gee you think they could have given her a heads up or something.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    00001487.jpg
    Tom wrote:
    This... guy?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

holy crap

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i feel like the best way to go with posting comics is to just continue as we have, not spoilering and not rehosting, but being respectful if someone has a negative reaction. so if you get asked by the author to rehost, do so, and if successively someone asks you to put it in spoilers, do so. anything that isn't rehosted shouldn't need to be spoilered because adblock

• Options
    holy shit

if that's her father

he's more of a prick than I ever imagined

and I already hated the guy

• Options
    wait what

if Tom goes (no relation) in the next comic imma break something

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of annoyed so much of the GC comic text is a variation of "this guy"

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Gee you think they could have given her a heads up or something.

"they" nothing

this is a father who is teaching a class at a school he knows his daughter is at

and doesn't even go see her before starting the class

even if we assuming he doesn't know she'll be in it, which isn't super likely

that's some real Grade A Fucker material right there

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    This is kinda of solidifying my opinion that Mr. Carver is a huge ass.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I feel like it's probably not her dad

siddell likes to do that kinda two comic misdirection

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I'm still holding out for a twist

On the other hand, I could also totally see him throwing such a massive curveball so early, too

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    8uf1uykkpdc1.jpg

this is the peak of the reaction system for me

• Options
    What if everybody thinks he's her father, including his old college friends, but Antimony doesn't agree?

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    If this is leading up to Eggers punching Annie's dad directly in the face, then I will be so, so happy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    8uf1uykkpdc1.jpg

this is the peak of the reaction system for me

that's a lot of awesomes

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
  • Options
    What if everybody thinks he's her father, including his old college friends, but Antimony doesn't agree?

well it would certainly explain this coming right after the chapter about soul manipulation and bodies

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    00000292.jpg

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

well it would certainly explain this coming right after the chapter about soul manipulation and bodies

Ooooh! Ooooh!
    And Mr. Carver was trying to figure out a way to save Surma's life! One way to do that would be to try and extract her soul and stick it in another body!

What if he was almost there when Surma died, and in his upset after her death, decided to test the machine out on himself, but it screwed up and that's why he hasn't talked to his daughter in forever? What if that's what's been going on?

This discussion has been closed.