As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Webcomics Thread: Still the Worst 1973

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Wasn't he supposed to be on a space station or something?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ha ha, it's true! birds are dumb!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    What if everybody thinks he's her father, including his old college friends, but Antimony doesn't agree?

well it would certainly explain this coming right after the chapter about soul manipulation and bodies

Ooooh! Ooooh!
    And Mr. Carver was trying to figure out a way to save Surma's life! One way to do that would be to try and extract her soul and stick it in another body!

What if he was almost there when Surma died, and in his upset after her death, decided to test the machine out on himself, but it screwed up and that's why he hasn't talked to his daughter in forever? What if that's what's been going on?

who knows, man. who knows.

(actually no, I think this is A. Carver and there's some involved explanation for why he's a jerk)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    00000292.jpg

I was doing an archive trawl of my own. While GC is a lot better now than it was when it was started, it's still neat to see some of the early conventions that got dropped (like Annie narrating).

• Options
    edited March 2015
    kat's parents would certainly disapprove of her father teaching antimony directly

they wouldn't refrain from telling kat, and kat would tell antimony

idk

something's going on here

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    Ooooh! Ooooh!
    And Mr. Carver was trying to figure out a way to save Surma's life! One way to do that would be to try and extract her flastical and stick it in another body!

• Options
    Kharnor wrote: »
    Ooooh! Ooooh!
    And Mr. Carver was trying to figure out a way to save Surma's life! One way to do that would be to try and extract her flastical and stick it in another body!

god damn it

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    flastikrigg court

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    kat's parents would certainly disapprove of her father teaching antimony directly

they wouldn't refrain from telling kat, and kat would tell antimony

idk

Unless - assuming this be actually Annie's dad - the Court arranged it entirely without their knowledge.

The Court is pretty particular about what it decides.

• Options
    Painted Into A Mourner

2015-03-13-Painted-Into-A-Mourner.jpg
    I have devised a plan to counteract the likely skin decoration discrimination. Explain calmly and clearly that the tattoo is not gang-related, and in fact, it is from the Japanese-made video game, Resident Evil 4. When you realize they don't speak English, simply point at your already-naked body and yell the Japanese title for the game, ''BIOHAZARD! BIOHAZARD!!!''

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ronnie they're not going to let a white guy in anyway.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I didn't know resident evil was called biohazard in japan

it's certainly a more thematically appropriate name

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    knitdan wrote: »
    Gee you think they could have given her a heads up or something.

"they" nothing

this is a father who is teaching a class at a school he knows his daughter is at

and doesn't even go see her before starting the class

even if we assuming he doesn't know she'll be in it, which isn't super likely

that's some real Grade A Fucker material right there

I honestly don't have much thoughts regarding Anthony.

He's clearly a terrible father, but beyond that we've seen virtually nothing of him as an adult.

It's safe to say he's a very cold, emotionally distant guy, but little more than that can be parsed from what tidbits we've been given.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

idk

But Kat's mom taught Kat, so why would they have an issue with Antimony's dad teaching her directly? Wouldn't it be more like "Why the heck are you suddenly here don't you have any sensitivity towards your daughter's emotions?

And @BahamutZERO - I'm taking that as a joke, but please don't do it again. I grew up having people assume I was an idiot because of my learning issues, so I'm sensitive about this.

Creagan on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I bet

It's a dream

• Options
    edited March 2015
    we already knew that donny, anja, and elgamore disapprove of anthony's attitude to his daughter, yes

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    It turns out Mr. Carver was the second gunman on the grassy knoll

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Gee you think they could have given her a heads up or something.

"they" nothing

this is a father who is teaching a class at a school he knows his daughter is at

and doesn't even go see her before starting the class

even if we assuming he doesn't know she'll be in it, which isn't super likely

that's some real Grade A Fucker material right there

I honestly don't have much thoughts regarding Anthony.

He's clearly a terrible father, but beyond that we've seen virtually nothing of him as an adult.

It's safe to say he's a very cold, emotionally distant guy, but little more than that can be parsed from what tidbits we've been given.

Well, there was that one time when he put his daughter in a coma.

• Options
    we don't know that he did that, do we

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I'm willing to take Zimmy's word on that one.

• Options
    I didn't realize being a bird was a learning disability, that was horrible of me and I apologize.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    That chinese star wars comic....I find it a funny coincidence that Genndy Tartakovsky's clone wars had dueling clone troopers, droids, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Durge on speeder bikes, almost like someone read this and had a majestic nerd erection.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    As am I and even if we discount this he abandoned his daughter accept the time when he used her to convey information. It would be a hell of a thing for Carver to not be a terrible father at least.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I didn't realize being a bird was a learning disability, that was horrible of me and I apologize.

Wait, were you talking about the other comic with the owl on the last page? Because although it's possible, the way your post was timed stuck it in the middle of the the Gunnerkrigg discussion, right after somebody corrected me about a mistake (which I genuinely had made.) So it looks like you're calling me dumb when you read it, and I was actually a little upset with you.

If you were talking about the owl comic, I retract my comment, apologize for the mistake and replace it with an actual joke about me "being offended" because I've got a bird avatar.

• Options
    He is a terrible father, yes. But why is that?
    PSEUDO-PSYCHOLOGICAL BULLSHIT WARNING: I think he's traumatized by his wife's awful slow death which happened because Antimony was born, and was necessary for her to live. He probably blames Antimony for Surma's death on some deep level, and conversely also recognizes that he feels that way and hates himself for blaming her because he knows it's irrational and that she isn't responsible for it. So he hasn't been able to bring himself to be a father to Antimony because of that trauma. He's not just a cartoonish deadbeat dad or something.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Wait, were you talking about the other comic with the owl on the last page? Because although it's possible, the way your post was timed stuck it in the middle of the the Gunnerkrigg discussion, right after somebody corrected me about a mistake (which I genuinely had made.) So it looks like you're calling me dumb when you read it, and I was actually a little upset with you.

If you were talking about the owl comic, I retract my comment, apologize for the mistake and replace it with an actual joke about me "being offended" because I've got a bird avatar.

I thought you were making a clever joke! Yes I was talking about the PA comic last page.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    what if it is not her father but her wacky uncle, antoine carver?

oh that crazy uncle antoine and his antics

Seriously on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I dunno why annie's dad is such a pill but as for why he's been gone my guess is he's been off looking for ways to let her have kids and not die

• Options
    also probably doesn't help that antimony looks uncannily like her mother

PBF252-Carolyn.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Etiowsa wrote: »

What word?

She threw a metaphysical fireball at him.

Giving her dad the finger is nice and all but I didn't really take away any comprehension from that chapter as to what the fuck actually happened.

There was some... weird bone thing symbolizing some connection, but beyond vague imagery she had nothing to really go on.

And I think that was the last we heard about her Dad up until now.

So I dunno!

We don't even know that he caused this. At least on purpose.

Annie's the one with the magic powers.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PSEUDO-PSYCHOLOGICAL BULLSHIT WARNING: I think he's traumatized by his wife's awful slow death which happened because Antimony was born, and was necessary for her to live. He probably blames Antimony for Surma's death on some deep level, and conversely also recognizes that he feels that way and hates himself for blaming her because he knows it's irrational and that she isn't responsible for it. So he hasn't been able to bring himself to be a father to Antimony because of that trauma. He's not just a cartoonish deadbeat dad or something.

this is already so strongly hinted to be the case

00000813.jpg

that I would be disappointed if it does turn out to be that simple

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    it can be that simple in addition to being his motivation for finding the cure for Fire Elemental Baby Syndrome (F.E.B.S.) or being a cartoonishly evil supervillain or whatever else he is

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

That just makes him an asshole of a different type

He's still emotionally and physically abandoned his daughter

The reasoning behind that being why is sound, though

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mike is killing the art for this arc

• Options
    it can be that simple in addition to being his motivation for finding the cure for Fire Elemental Baby Syndrome (F.E.B.S.) or being a cartoonishly evil supervillain or whatever else he is

that's not really separate, though

anyway, regardless, it would still be difficult to explain why anja wouldn't let kat let annie know that he'd be back, trauma or not

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Maybe the Court got some leverage on him and is forcing him to come down from space to teach this class for some nefarious purpose? I dunno. Fun to speculate.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Remember the time Annie found the Seed Bismuth, but people suspected it was a fake because the Seed's explanation for what happened was too straightforward and just confirmed everything we already knew and it turned out to be a fake?

Could be a similar thing here.

• Options
    alternately, he's here to teach a class about STEADMAN

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    alternately, he's here to teach a class about STEADMAN

Now that would be too convenient.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    sdb20150313.png
    Could these lessons in SDB cost Gary a member of his harem?

This discussion has been closed.