As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Captain American Revolution

HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Graphic Violence
CapRoss.jpg

While your New Year's Resolution will no doubt be something mundane like doing sit-ups every morning or learning French, Marvel Comics and Ed Brubaker are starting to start 2008 off right with no less than the resurrection of an American Icon. The only question is, is this a new America or the old one?

Designed by Alex Ross, this Captain America, Steve Rogers or otherwise, comes equipped with several tweaks to the familiar look. New to the costume altogether is the color black, acting as an overwhelming shade that dominates the outfit from the boot to the shoulders and frames the familiar stars and stripes, creating a triangular chest piece reminiscent of the original shield. Most notable, however, may be the apparent addition of a gun and a knife to the Captain's formerly one dimensional arsenal. Do these signal a greater emphasis on the soldier aspect of the super-soldier, or is Cap packing stun bullets and a knife that shoots sleeping gas?

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait 'til January's release of Captain America #34 before any answers are revealed. Until then, all we can be certain about is that the man under the mask is a white male, a fact that precludes former contenders Sam Wilson and Sharon Carter from the running for new Cap. Winter Soldier, however, still remains a strong possibility, as does a reborn, time displaced, alternate reality, or otherwise hastily resurrected Steve Rogers.

For more details on the new Captain America, or new, old Captain America, check with Newsarama at 10 a.m. tomorrow for interviews with Ed Brubaker and Alex Ross.

ALEX ROSS & ED BRUBAKER ON CAP'S NEW LOOK

Home-1.jpg
Hooraydiation on

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought the Ross Captain America was just an Invaders story with the original human torch and Namor? I guess this is something else.

The metallic shit looks so dumb. Scales for life, 'yo.

Mai-Kero on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gotta be Bucky

deadonthestreet on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

The metallic shit looks so dumb. Scales for life, 'yo.

Captain America's suffered through some horrific redesigns. At the very least, this is the best by far.

Still, I've always considered the traditional outfit to be the best of the patriotic hero garbs. That and the black portions keep giving me the impression that Cap is wearing a wetsuit that's he's only partially unzipped.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Um, that ... that looks fucking awful.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    35% chance it's a skrull.

If he signs on with SHRA that percentage goes up to 98%

Gaddez on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    His new suit is awfully shiny.

Slagmire on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not feeling the black at all.

For Cap redesigns, the pulp/WWII Ultimate Captain America wins, hands down.

If we had something other than the costume to talk about, I would.

DouglasDanger on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    At first glance I think I like it. I'm not sure about the gun (since his shield is sort of his gun) but the rest seems ok.
    Considering the fact that the original cap was taking down by a sniper it kind of makes sense to give the new suit some stronger armor.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only thing I don't like about the costume is that it's shiny for some reason.

Otherwise it's not too bad.

And definatly a temporary Bucky costume.

Transporter on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You could make a strong argument toward the shifting of American values in the representation of Cap's arsenal (going from only shield and protection and blah blah blah to guns and knives and violence and blah blah blah), but I'm not that analytical, so I'll just say that costume sucks.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    At first glance I think I like it. I'm not sure about the gun (since his shield is sort of his gun) but the rest seems ok.
    Considering the fact that the original cap was taking down by a sniper it kind of makes sense to give the new suit some stronger armor.
    Duders he has a gun and a sword.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't care for the slick, shiny look of his upper body, or the addition of a knife and gun, since I always liked the symbolism behind him only being equipped with a defensive device, though I suppose it's foreshadowing a more lethal, soldier-like Cap. I do like the short gloves and toned down color palette though.

Munch on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a feeling this is going to be like the "return of superman" after his death - Fakes that don't really measure up until the real one comes along. I can see this guy being a villain.

Lux on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Duders he has a gun and a sword.

But does he have a gun that -shoots swords-? I think not.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As much as I love Alex Ross, I cannot condone Captain America using a Gun. What the hell ? Please tell me that they resurrected Red Skull, who is in disguise as the new Capt, and this is all a trick he is pulling on the rest of the Marvel Universe.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
    edited October 2007
    randomguy wrote: »
    As much as I love Alex Ross, I cannot condone Captain America using a Gun. What the hell ? Please tell me that they resurrected Red Skull, who is in disguise as the new Capt, and this is all a trick he is pulling on the rest of the Marvel Universe.

How are you going to make it through WWII without a gun? At the very least, he's trained in the use of small arms.

And of course, it could be that it's a special gun that fires incapacitating rounds, like the White Tiger (Casper from the Crew) used to have.

It's also worth noting that Union Jack has a gun and knife himself.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think it makes all the sense in the world for Captain America to have weapons (I think he started out with a gun origionally). I would'nt mind seeing him in a Halo Spartan style armor suit (red,white and blue of course) with out a mask or something similar to the current ultimates mask. I'm not a fan of the little white wings on the sides.

You'd think Cap would be able to get better weapons than a lousy pistol and knife though.

Caveman Paws on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    He looks like an inverted cosmic character now.

And the black undersuit just looks so... bland.

Just absolutely standard spandex. Bleh.

Also, that gun is pathetically small and dull for someone who fights supervillains.

Incenjucar on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cap and weapons fits in my opinion. In fact, it fits really REALLY well.

However, in order for it to work, it needs to be a great deal more military.

Which pretty much solidifies ultimate Caps WWII costume as the best cap costume ever.

Transporter on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    He looks like an inverted cosmic character now.

And the black undersuit just looks so... bland.

Just absolutely standard spandex. Bleh.

Also, that gun is pathetically small and dull for someone who fights supervillains.

So basically you think his gun needs more flare? Perhaps he can give Cable a call.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So basically you think his gun needs more flare? Perhaps he can give Cable a call.

He can bedazzle that bitch. And I can't believe he still has his headwings. Those were always the thing I disliked most on Cap's costume.

Hopefully this'll lead to another round of bitchin' Project Rooftop redesigns.

Munch on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    From Major Spoilers, a Captain America-related subject...
    1582new_storyimage2051045_full.jpg
    1582new_storyimage2051114_full.jpg
    1582new_storyimage2051207_full.jpg

Diablo Fett on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hate that Marvel revealed this so early.

Even if it's not Steve Rogers.

Which in fact leads me to thinking it's Bucky what with the knife and gun and all.

Sars_Boy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd prefer it if they brought back that exoskeleton Cap had in the 90s. At least that had a decent color scheme on it.

DarkPrimus on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like it, and it makes sense that the new Cap is rolling with weapons. Not everyone can be the boy scout that Steve Rogers was. If that's Bucky under there, it makes perfect sense. I have no clue why anyone would say that Bucky couldn't serve as an acceptable replacement for Cap.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I don't hate it...so that is something.

The gun and the knife and the pants all point to Bucky. Hell the fact that the protective armor stuff is in the general shape of Caps original shield points to Bucky. If it is Bucky then I'd rather them just tell us now or have kept the whole Cap costume a secret until #34 hit. If they try and pull a big, "Who is the new Cap!?!?!" and it turns out to be Bucky that will just be terribly dull.

Accualt on
    edited October 2007
    Seriously.

I'm failing to see how it couldn't bee Bucky at this point.

Also, I just fast tracked the Cap Omnibus in my "Must Buy" list

well, more like my "Must Ask For for Christmas" list, but still

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Well, I don't hate it...so that is something.

The gun and the knife and the pants all point to Bucky. Hell the fact that the protective armor stuff is in the general shape of Caps original shield points to Bucky. If it is Bucky then I'd rather them just tell us now or have kept the whole Cap costume a secret until #34 hit. If they try and pull a big, "Who is the new Cap!?!?!" and it turns out to be Bucky that will just be terribly dull.
    Which is why I hate the fact that they came out with it so early.

Sars_Boy on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bucky would be great, but I bet it'll just be some random soldier guy that Stark gives the shield to.

Mai-Kero on
    edited October 2007
    Did anyone read the Chosen One mini-series? The title seems like it points to a successor, but nobody's mentioned it so I'm guessing it's irrelevant.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Bucky would be great, but I bet it'll just be some random soldier guy that Stark gives the shield to.

See, that would be cool because then Bucky would hunt down Stark and murder him after getting the shield back.

Accualt on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    just gross.

Maybe if I hadn't idolized it in my childhood, snapping up issues as early as number 18, I wouldn't even think twice, but Captain America was always so strongly against guns & killing.

What defined Captain America for me was his strong adherence to a personal moral compass. The Captain America who I bought 400 comics of wouldn't have used a gun. He wouldn't even kill the Red Skull! He felt sadness for enemies & friends who died in battle.

Obviously it's not intended for someone like me--hell I haven't bought a comic that wasn't on the internet in about 15 years--but I do hope it's not the original Steve Rogers brought back.

It's not like it's any skin off my nose, but I'm just not into it. I guess I wish they were announcing something I could be excited about, remembering how Cap spoke out against the American government, SHIELD, and even his own teammates when he believed that people were doing "the wrong thing." I loved the quixotian struggle for right. Even if he was slow or inefficient, he did it his way, and he slept at night.

streever on
    edited October 2007
    So basically you don't want a new character.

I also take it you're not a fan of Brubaker's depiction of Bucky?

Or what?

Sars_Boy on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007
    Alex Ross can't design costumes for shit

Garlic Bread on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Alex Ross can't design costumes for shit

The only good thing he ever did was make the yellow on Superman's logo black.

DarkPrimus on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't read any of it.

This was the first I heard of it, and it kind of surprised me.

I'm not a fan of Captain America with a gun--but my being a fan or not is pretty irrelevant--I'm completely out of the loop on any Captain America news (besides that they killed him). I didn't know Bucky had been brought back!

If Bucky wants to be Cap, I guess that's OK? I mean, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. The way I remember Bucky (and the later bucky, Nomad) was that neither had the strong core of Cap--neither could actually be him--though they both tried hard & did their best. I guess that's all that Cap ever did too... who knows, maybe Bucky with a gun is a fine Captain America :).

streever on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    now that ive seen more than the OP's first picture.

the black portions keep giving me the impression that Cap is wearing a wetsuit that's he's only partially unzipped.

the back portions seem to look fine, but the front looks like he's wearing an ugly US-themed tuxedo.

also things that will piss me off?

if its rogers under there. even the alt. reality one, or the time-travelling one. let rogers be dead for more than 5 years marvel.
    possible awesome choices? bucky, USagent, Captain Clone-merica (he sat on tony's couch once...), or hawkeye.

one thing i know for sure. this fucker better blog and post on youtube everyday!

delphinus on
    edited October 2007
    streever wrote: »
    I haven't read any of it.

This was the first I heard of it, and it kind of surprised me.

I'm not a fan of Captain America with a gun--but my being a fan or not is pretty irrelevant--I'm completely out of the loop on any Captain America news (besides that they killed him). I didn't know Bucky had been brought back!

If Bucky wants to be Cap, I guess that's OK? I mean, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. The way I remember Bucky (and the later bucky, Nomad) was that neither had the strong core of Cap--neither could actually be him--though they both tried hard & did their best. I guess that's all that Cap ever did too... who knows, maybe Bucky with a gun is a fine Captain America :).
    You should read Brubaker's stuff

it's really really great

Sars_Boy on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the black suit is just so he can absorb solar radiation faster while he's still weak

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    I think the black suit is just so he can absorb solar radiation faster while he's still weak

oh no you din't

*finger snap*

*head roll*

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562