As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PTSD(Pin-Traumatic Stress Disorder) or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pin

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    misskass wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

It's true. We did hug. Several times throughout the weekend. It was always glorious.

• misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

It's true. We did hug. Several times throughout the weekend. It was always glorious.
    Several times? You may have me confused with another wondrous Australian, I think I got one during the Friday morning Twitch Fight and then you disappeared from sight. I wanted to ask about the community pin but you took your accent and your mask and disappeared into the Bostonian crowd.

misskass on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well this is awkward.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Several times? You may have me confused with another wondrous Australian, I think I got one during the Friday morning Twitch Fight and then you disappeared from sight. I wanted to ask about the community pin but you took your accent and your mask and disappeared into the Bostonian crowd.

Enforcer land, I had been talking to Arclight and you came in as I was going out.

See, it's always the accent. But you had one of your very own.

edit: I doubted myself the second I posted this, so I went to the other thread for this reminder and yes, that's you. I remember you.

PedroAsani on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I love Jeri Ryan!

I'm guessing that without the antlers it's just not the same. Le sigh.

Anyway, Community Pin is something we are still floating. The idea of an Official one is too tantalizing, and an unofficial one might be confusing to new people.

"So, you guys trade Pinny Arcade Pins?"

"Yes."

"And you have your own?"

"Well this one isn't official."

"But it's about people who trade the official ones?"

"Yes."

"But this one isn't?"

"No. But someday we will have one that is."

"Um...so can I trade you for it?"

"Well sure, but some people won't trade it with you."

"Why not?"

"Because they can only trade official Pins."

"So I shouldn't trade this?"

"You can if you want. But maybe you should keep hold of that."

The best idea for the unofficial pin should we do one is to give it away to anyone we make trades with. But again you would need to explain that it isn't official.

Enforcer land, I had been talking to Arclight and you came in as I was going out.

edit: I doubted myself the second I posted this, so I went to the other thread for this reminder and yes, that's you. I remember you.

That is me! And yes, I do remember running into you again, now. Every time I went to [E]land I think I was on the verge of death, so I'm not totally surprised I didn't remember.

And I think I was talking to @Juicesir in the Star Trek line and he mentioned that you were the person to talk to about getting hold of a community pin that already existed, it was like a coat of arms type thing? I didn't get a close look at it but I saw it on a few people's lanyards over the weekend. Anything to expand my metal trinket collection. You might not even be the correct person, though, and he might not actually be the person I'm thinking of, it was a hectic weekend.

That is me! And yes, I do remember running into you again, now. Every time I went to [E]land I think I was on the verge of death, so I'm not totally surprised I didn't remember.

And I think I was talking to @Juicesir in the Star Trek line and he mentioned that you were the person to talk to about getting hold of a community pin that already existed, it was like a coat of arms type thing? I didn't get a close look at it but I saw it on a few people's lanyards over the weekend. Anything to expand my metal trinket collection. You might not even be the correct person, though, and he might not actually be the person I'm thinking of, it was a hectic weekend.

That would be the Forum pin. Usually crowd-funded shortly before each PAX. They have used the same design since at least Prime 13, which is when I got mine. Check the PAX subs for it. It isn't a Pinny Arcade Pin, just a regular pin.

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    My vote for the community pin:
    NVG46Jk.png

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    They were being very controlling about how many people were in the area, and if you went over to the table in the middle of the room to try and talk or trade with someone, they pounced on you and asked if you were done. Considering the space available, they should have altered the layout slightly and allowed more people in, because trading with people at these things is always fun.

I know a lot of the veterans will churn through several times, because they enjoy the interactions with people. That's going to hold up the queue, which is an issue. I'll think about this and see if there is something that can be done to make it better at Prime, Aus and for 2016.

It would've been really nice to see an area right next to the Staff event that they let you go through to trade, where traffic wouldn't be too much of a worry. As someone that wasn't one of the first batch into the trading event, it was a bit annoying to see many people just standing around and doing nothing, esepcially due to the fact that at the time, Twitch was doing a queue for their own pin.

I'm well aware that the main part of this hobby is interacting with others and trading pins. I felt like Prime had a very good set up; let people go in for a set length of time, and then it's time for a new group. If we can somehow add another area specifically for trading/chatting, it would be amazing.

Here's my idea for solving this problem:

- When you enter the line, you get a ticket with a number on it (1, 2, ...)
    - You are then free to move around the line, trading with people, checking out lanyards, etc.
    - When the event opens up, the Enforcer(s) let in people from a certain number range ("now letting in numbers 1-40!", etc.)
    - Every group is given 10 minutes (<--- just an example) at the event

The big problem with the line beforehand is you want to move around and trade and chat because all the pinthusiasts are finally gathered in one place. You can't because, you know, cutting people is bad.

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • KingPin1KingPin1 Hardcore Casual Pin Trader Seattle WA, USARegistered User regular
    This was the first pax I had to miss since pins started... I felt all of those things and I was 1000 miles away from the show.. you are a champ! Way to be honest with yourself. Not every second of pax needs to be lanyard staring. I tend to make assumptions about people and looked at lanyards before I made eye contact. When pax isn't about people and games and more about shinys something is wrong.

• NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    They were being very controlling about how many people were in the area, and if you went over to the table in the middle of the room to try and talk or trade with someone, they pounced on you and asked if you were done. Considering the space available, they should have altered the layout slightly and allowed more people in, because trading with people at these things is always fun.

I know a lot of the veterans will churn through several times, because they enjoy the interactions with people. That's going to hold up the queue, which is an issue. I'll think about this and see if there is something that can be done to make it better at Prime, Aus and for 2016.

It would've been really nice to see an area right next to the Staff event that they let you go through to trade, where traffic wouldn't be too much of a worry. As someone that wasn't one of the first batch into the trading event, it was a bit annoying to see many people just standing around and doing nothing, esepcially due to the fact that at the time, Twitch was doing a queue for their own pin.

I'm well aware that the main part of this hobby is interacting with others and trading pins. I felt like Prime had a very good set up; let people go in for a set length of time, and then it's time for a new group. If we can somehow add another area specifically for trading/chatting, it would be amazing.

- You are then free to move around the line, trading with people, checking out lanyards, etc.
    - When the event opens up, the Enforcer(s) let in people from a certain number range ("now letting in numbers 1-40!", etc.)
    - Every group is given 10 minutes at the event

The big problem with the line beforehand is you want to move around and trade and chat because all the pinthusiasts are finally gathered in one place. You can't because, you know, cutting people is bad.

I don't know if just 10 minutes is enough. I would argue with maybe 25 or so, which gives everyone a fair chance at getting the Staff pins and then lets them talk it out with others. I believe I was actually in the same part of the line as you were, and it took a long while to finally get in due to everyone just hanging around.

• Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular

I don't know if just 10 minutes is enough. I would argue with maybe 25 or so, which gives everyone a fair chance at getting the Staff pins and then lets them talk it out with others. I believe I was actually in the same part of the line as you were, and it took a long while to finally get in due to everyone just hanging around.

Sure. I can agree to that. I just meant give everyone a set amount of time.

Forget the number. At Aus many of us were moving up and down the line making trades. Getting in first wasn't an issue. If they start letting in when I'm in mid-trade at the back of the queue I'll suck it up and go whenever.

Batches was the worst thing they did at Prime. For the love of all that is good and pure, do not request batches.

The problem can be solved with better use of space, allowing more people in at a time.

• HijumpHijump Registered User regular

The problem can be solved with better use of space, allowing more people in at a time.

This ^^^^ all day.

Forget the number. At Aus many of us were moving up and down the line making trades. Getting in first wasn't an issue. If they start letting in when I'm in mid-trade at the back of the queue I'll suck it up and go whenever.

Batches was the worst thing they did at Prime. For the love of all that is good and pure, do not request batches.

I don't know how they don't manage space better at East, as they have so much of it in the queue room. The main problem isn't the trading though, it's the fact that those in line have to wait so long because of other guys just sort of lollygagging about in the staff area. Even if we had a lot more space, there would still be an issue of how long should each person be allowed to trade for. Remember, the event is only for a certain amount of time, so without a certain time for each group, someone will always be mad.

There's a better discussion about space going on here - http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/197122/pax-east-2015-pin-trading-event#latest
    (when I say better, I mean it has pictures). There are more optimal ways to better use the existing space (forget about even expanding it, it's a poor layout in the current space due to the flow of people). Some people lollygag, yes, but others can't even get to the tables due to the layout, so they end up standing in a clump, hoping to eventually move forward to even get a chance to look at the table. Changing the layout doesn't fix every problem, but it's low-hanging fruit, and will help a ton. tl:dr; I agree with @PedroAsani

Pins for trade!

I don't know how they don't manage space better at East, as they have so much of it in the queue room. The main problem isn't the trading though, it's the fact that those in line have to wait so long because of other guys just sort of lollygagging about in the staff area. Even if we had a lot more space, there would still be an issue of how long should each person be allowed to trade for. Remember, the event is only for a certain amount of time, so without a certain time for each group, someone will always be mad.

Better managed space = higher capacity for people = better throughput. Throughput: It's a Thing.

I'm not disagreeing about the space issue. I think better managed space would be a huge thing also, but even if we had a TON of space, this event is only going to get bigger, and I think it's unfair that a lot of people hang out in there for so long when there are some left out of the whole thing due to people trying to snipe tables of great pins.

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but better managed space AND a time limit would be great due to how big the event is getting, how many people show up for it, and how many people stay inside the thing.

• sudopoopsudopoop seattle, usaRegistered User regular
    The staff heads could also be placed on an express table managed by [E], then everyone could make their staff trades and play a one game with each staff member if they wanted to. It would relieve the cluster around each staff member and allow new traders to have meaningful and personal interactions with them.

Since you can only play each game once, it *should* move along pretty steadily.

I agree with the staff pins actually being managed by an Enforcer, or at least someone else. I went to the Gabe/Tycho signing at East with the intention of trading with them, but once I realised that the trades table was being managed by an Enforcer alongside them, I got out of line so other people could get signatures. I know just one person stepping out of line wouldn't help too much, but if a group of people more interested in pins than hanging out could get in and out of the trade session quickly, it could work a little more efficiently.

• aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    Having the staff pins managed by an Enforcer would definitely speed things along, but I feel that part of the reason why staff pins exist is to interact with the staff members. If I remember correctly, before the Pin Trading Event was a thing, you actually had to hunt down the staff to trade for their pins. Although I like having the guarantee of being able to complete my staff set through the Pin Trading Event, I also enjoy looking for them over the course of PAX. Last Prime, I traded for the majority of the Hobby set outside of the Pin Trading Event: Kristin at the Info Booth, Brian at Merch, Gavin at the Diversity Lounge, Jamie while making a Child's Play donation for a Tearaway pin, Jeff at the Indie Games panel, Khoo and Josh at the trading tables next to Merch, and so on.

I feel like the Pin Trading Event is already one degree of abstraction away from the "purpose" of having staff pins. Having them just handed out by Enforcers would in my opinion defeat the whole purpose entirely.

While I don't disagree with you, staff pins at Aus are already either distributed at a pin event (can't remember if there was one last year or not, though) or by other staffers (@Beker, etc.), as people like PRD and many of the others can't attend on a yearly basis for various reasons. It's a big ask for people to track down staffers over the weekend - Khoo in particular, as he's notorious for being busy and unfindable - and I'm sure there are a subset of people that are just after the pins, not the interaction. Even as an Enforcer myself, stranger interaction makes me uncomfortable, so while I do get a minor kick out of meeting new people, if I just wanted to pick up a pin and I had to have a conversation with someone to do it, I'd be much less likely to, rather than having the option of trading through an Enforcer at a table.

edited March 2015
    My "conversation" with the staff while trading basically just consists of addressing them by name, and the asking them if I could trade for their staff pin. I find it awkward to randomly talk to strangers as well, but that strikes me as a suitable degree of "meaningful interaction". That's why I'm also fine with the Pin Trading Event: you actually do get to say hi to the staff while exchanging for a pin with their face on it.

If it ever comes down to it, I would rather have the Enforcers run the games, and leave the staff with their own pins. I think trading with staff is the entire raison d'etre for having the staff pins at all.

aleph0 on
    I will say this. Every pin trading event, I shake Jerry Holkins' hand and tell him he's the man and I love PA. Every time, he remembers me and says something cheeky like "add one to our count". He rocks and I wouldn't trade it for the world. So, whatever solution we come up with for staff pins, we gotta make sure we can still talk to the staff. They're important and awesome.

• DefaultGenDefaultGen Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    DefaultGen wrote: »
    aleph0 wrote: »
    I feel like the Pin Trading Event is already one degree of abstraction away from the "purpose" of having staff pins.

There is nothing that would make my PAX worse than turning the staff pins into 13 games of "Where's Leeroy?".

That's pretty much how it was at Prime 13. I thought it was fun - it pretty much convinced me to get started with the whole thing.

I think that I'm going to try and get all the staff pins at this year's Prime before the trading event.

I feel like the Pin Trading Event is already one degree of abstraction away from the "purpose" of having staff pins.

There is nothing that would make my PAX worse than turning the staff pins into 13 games of "Where's Leeroy?".

I get that not everyone enjoys scouring the whole of PAX looking for staff, which I why I said having the Pin Trading Event is useful for assembling a complete set, and yet still retaining the element of interaction with the staff. If all there is to getting the staff pins is putting down 13 pins at a table with an Enforcer and taking 13 staff pins, then they might as well just straight-up sell them at the Merch Booth. Saves everyone a whole lot of trouble.

Also, I think comparing looking for staff to looking for Leeroy is a tad unfair. The staff are usually at a location for at least half an hour, and their pins are in no way limited, so there won't actually be a mob following someone around. You also know what they look like, and they make their locations known on Twitter, so it's not so much looking for them as opposed to just going up to them.

thx42 wrote: »

That's pretty much how it was at Prime 13. I thought it was fun - it pretty much convinced me to get started with the whole thing.

I think that I'm going to try and get all the staff pins at this year's Prime before the trading event.

Finding the Staff is fun, but shouldn't be mandatory. Some are hermits, like they have had ninja training. I usually manage to get about 7 or 8 on the first day, but then the others are nowhere to be seen. I think that it's easier at Prime because the extra day just makes everything so much easier.

I did suggest to Khoo that he should tag the Staff with trackers so we could hunt them like game. It had crossed his mind, but apparently some of them "had objections". I guess they just need to get better at broadcasting their locations on Twitter, Jerry.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    GeoCache staff?

I think being part of the PAX whatsapp group helps. You find a staff member and then let everyone else know where they are if they're quick.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Also remember, not everyone knows what every staffer looks like. Really hard to find them if you have no clue who you are looking for.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    People with all access badges with pins that look like the person wearing them

pureval wrote: »
    Also remember, not everyone knows what every staffer looks like. Really hard to find them if you have no clue who you are looking for.

Well then those people just don't care enough.

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2015
    Thank you for saying what was in your heart. I have had three and a half collections in my life.

1) Roxette albums and bootlegs
    2) Disney Cars 1:55-Scale diecast cars toys
    3) Skylanders game toys
    3.5) Pinny Arcade pins (had just started getting into it)

At some point in my second year of pin trading, everything fell apart. I was a "get all the ones you can within reason and lust in a mildly obsessive manner over the ones you can't get" collector, until I realized it didn't matter. It really did not matter at all if I had them all or not. I was falling victim to my own ego. There was no endgame. I sold all my packaged Cars toys, I stopped worrying about variant Skylanders (my kids still play the games), and I pretty much have stopped collecting pins. I'll probably keep an Automata and a couple PAX pins, but I'm going to sell the rest. It's a sort of mental illness that feeds an unhealthy materialism. YMMV, I'm not going to judge or say what works for you. That's what works for me.

fre40cdnalow.jpg
    ahy1vw6gcjui.jpg

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
    It's a sort of mental illness that feeds an unhealthy materialism.

If we ever make a custom community pin it should have this on it in Latin.

˙uɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ oʇ pǝʇɐlsuɐɹʇ ʇᴉ ǝʌɐɥ ʇsnɾ plnoɔ ǝʍ ɹO

Pins for trade!
    "Sort of suus 'a mentis morbum qui pascit mairicis materialismum"

• adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular

... and the first 3 post pin was born.

ChMDm4Y.png
  • agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Allow me to quote, the most eloquent, Samuel L Jackson, "ENGLISH MOFO, DO YOU SPEAK IT?"

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"