As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    '
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I meant more along the lines of "these two abilities have zero play overlap. One is strictly blocking, the other strictly attacking." Could just as easily been Vigilance and one or the other.

I like the versatility.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I meant more along the lines of "these two abilities have zero play overlap. One is strictly blocking, the other strictly attacking." Could just as easily been Vigilance and one or the other.

That's because Reach and Trample are only good if you're attacking OR blocking, while Vigilance is good if you're attacking AND blocking, and would likely make it waaaaaay undercosted.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone here use any collection management software/websites? I could create a giant spreadsheet but researching current pricing (and continually updating it) would be a long term problem as opposed to just a one time workload of cataloging everything.

WingedWeasel on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    What's wrong with being good on offense and defense? Particularly when it has the potential to be real big.

Didn't say it was wrong. Said it was odd. At no point did I ever say that I disliked the card.

Interestingly, this exact keyword combination has been done exactly once before (ignoring Soulflayer and Cairn Wanderer): Archweaver.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    So we will now have Duress, Thoughtseize, and Despise all in standard at the same time.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Planeswalkers in hand are going to have a rough time of it.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    We also have Hero's Downfall and Silumgar's Command so planeswalkers aren't safe on the battlefield either.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Well yeah, just meant that planeswalkers are the only cards that get hit by all three discard spells.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    whenever you catch planeswalker in their hand with any of these discard spells you are required to say "keep walkin, buddy!!" it is a requirement

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    what if they have one planeswalker and a welkin tern?

admanb wrote: »
    what if they have one planeswalker and a welkin tern?

Hit the walker.

Now if they have a Storm Crow...

This set is looking a lot like Rise of the Eldrazi.

In a good way, without some of the characteristics I personally hated about RoE.

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Does anyone here use any collection management software/websites? I could create a giant spreadsheet but researching current pricing (and continually updating it) would be a long term problem as opposed to just a one time workload of cataloging everything.

I think mtg price has a widget for that.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This actually looks like a great improvement, gameplay/UI-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IRui76XfU

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    "Truly free to play model, so no microtransactions here. All you're going to be doing is playing to earn coins or you can pay for those coins and speed up the process."

So...you don't know what that word means.

Though this is the form of microtransactions I really don't care about. So long as the coin earn rate isn't ridiculous I'm fine with this.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    i think they meant no microtransactions in that no part of the game is only accessible via microtransactions.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    This actually looks like a great improvement, gameplay/UI-wise.

https://www.youtube~snip~/watch?v=j4IRui76XfU

2HG is back!

Gotta say, tablets have to be the greatest thing for card games ever.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    i think they meant no microtransactions in that no part of the game is only accessible via microtransactions.

"Limitless Free-to-Play with 100% earnable content"

I imagine that's what they meant. Also, it's coming out for iPad, but not Android. Why the fuck do people do that? Android is 80% of the market!

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Kickbacks and ease of development is my guess.

Carnarvon wrote: »
    Gotta say, tablets have to be the greatest thing for card games ever.

I would think anything in the DS family or Wii U should be, thanks to having a separate (touch) screen for your hand, leaving the other screen free for the playfield and effects. But DotP has never been released on a Nintendo console so who knows.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Android is a big part of the market partly because it goes on like a billion different devices with different specs. Probably easier to keep it to just iPads.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »

I think mtg price has a widget for that.

thanks, i'll check that out.

regarding origins: so this is the duels of the planeswalkers replacement? i assume that means the content in limited (as in number of sets and cards available)? i've never played duels so i don't even know if you have competitive play.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    regarding origins: so this is the duels of the planeswalkers replacement? i assume that means the content in limited (as in number of sets and cards available)? i've never played duels so i don't even know if you have competitive play.

Yeah, this will be Magic: Duels: Origins: Colons, the new direction Duels is taking.

I wouldn't call it competitive, but there's certainly no problems getting a game going. There are some 350-ish cards in Duels 2015, so often it's pretty easy to guess the playstyle of the opponent's deck after you've seen him play a few cards.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »

"Limitless Free-to-Play with 100% earnable content"

I imagine that's what they meant. Also, it's coming out for iPad, but not Android. Why the fuck do people do that? Android is 80% of the market!

80% of the device market, but like 5 or 10% of the app-buying market. Combine that with the extra work it takes to develop an app on Android and it's just not worth it for most companies.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Can I just say how much the new Legacy Cube sucks?

The new Legacy Cube sucks big time!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I am excite for exploit mechanism.
    I run a weird Sultai standard deck and this will make it 10-50% more hilarious.

• RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I did my first non phantom draft, and I went 2 and 1 (one was a disconnect though), so I'm pretty excited about that. I also got a Sorin and Siege Rhino so I really can't complain.

In constructed I can never seem to get my lands going right, I either keep a 2 lander and never get any more land, or I get 5 lands in hand and then keep drawing more land. It is getting very frustrating. I have tried running anywhere between 20 and 24 lands to try and fix the issue, but nothing seems to work.

Chen wrote: »
    Can I just say how much the new Legacy Cube sucks?

The new Legacy Cube sucks big time!

Why do you say that? I've heard a lot of good things about it from people I play with!

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    RedDawn wrote: »
    I did my first non phantom draft, and I went 2 and 1 (one was a disconnect though), so I'm pretty excited about that. I also got a Sorin and Siege Rhino so I really can't complain.

In constructed I can never seem to get my lands going right, I either keep a 2 lander and never get any more land, or I get 5 lands in hand and then keep drawing more land. It is getting very frustrating. I have tried running anywhere between 20 and 24 lands to try and fix the issue, but nothing seems to work.

20 lands is very, very low. Remember 17-18 is what your running in Limited with a 40 card deck. 20 is far too low for a 60 except in extreme corner cases like Boss Sligh (which will run as low as 17) that often top out in curve at 2 mana - maybe 3 if they are running Rabblemaster.

Jeskai Tokens and Abzan Aggro are also fairly low curve aggressive decks and they run 24-25.

Once you hit more midrangey or control decks, your talking anywhere from 25 up to 28.

I don't know what your deck looks like @RedDawn but I'd guess you are simply running too few lands.

APODionysus on
    RedDawn wrote: »

20 lands is very, very low. Remember 17-18 is what your running in Limited with a 40 card deck. 20 is far too low for a 60 except in extreme corner cases like Boss Sligh (which will run as low as 17) that often top out in curve at 2 mana - maybe 3 if they are running Rabblemaster.

Jeskai Tokens and Abzan Aggro are also fairly low curve aggressive decks and they run 24-25.

Once you hit more midrangey or control decks, your talking anywhere from 25 up to 28.

I don't know what your deck looks like @RedDawn but I'd guess you are simply running too few lands.

Most of my decks have a super low mana curve, I think one of the decks I was using topped out at 4 or 5 mana.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    In constructed that is actually a medium-high curve. I play a deck that tops out at 3 and sometimes I go, "Oh man, those cost so much"

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Fair enough, I will bump up to 25 first, then go from there. Thanks for the help. :+1:

Also, I'm pretty pumped about this weekend, FNM into prerelease, yes please.

Having a ton of land is absolutely a better problem to have than having no land. Something to keep in mind!

The Betman wrote: »
    Having a ton of land is absolutely a better problem to have than having no land. Something to keep in mind!

On the flip side, if a game goes long enough without either player doing anything, being mana screwed is better than being mana flooded. At least when you're screwed and start drawing lands you have a ton of action in your hand instead of having a ton of bricks and just hoping to topdeck something relevant.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    xpost from SE++: I'm working on a Jeskai tokens deck since I got one of the rad Kovalic jeskai ascendancy playmats over the weekend; I have no idea what standard meta looks like so any feedback is welcome
    Lands (24)

4 Battlefield Forge
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    2 Mountain
    4 Mystic Monastery
    2 Plains
    3 Temple of Epiphany
    3 Temple of Triumph

Instants (13)

3 Lightning Strike
    3 Raise the Alarm
    4 Stoke the Flames
    3 Valorous Stance

Creatures (11)

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Monastery Mentor
    3 Soulfire Grand Master

Sorceries (8)

4 Dragon Fodder
    4 Treasure Cruise

Enchantments (4)

4 Jeskai Ascendancy

Sideboard (15)

3 Disdainful Stroke
    2 End Hostilities
    2 Glare of Heresy
    3 Myth Realized
    3 Negate
    2 Outpost Siege

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Impact tremors?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Certainly adds value to the creature generators but I worry it's not as versatile as having the ability to bolt your face or your creatures like with Lightning Strike (which is almost certainly what I'd remove, as I don't want to cut any more spells to make dudes than I have to).

My first thought with tokens decks is Purphoros, but with Ascendencies the tremors is probably better, since you'll get triggers off of it.

What about Secure the Wastes?