As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Not Sorry [Feminism]

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    On the Daddy Geeks group on FB someone posted the Reaxxion "article" about PAX booth babe ban.

Of course the article gets virtually everything about the policy wrong, does not cite anything and implies that this is a new policy rather than a very old one. He makes up his own shit and presents them as block quotes in the text and even riffs on the "First they came for the communists..." quote.

All in all it is gamergate nonsense.

I got into it with GG douches in the comments of the group. Basically how it was an old policy, this article gets it all wrong, the author of the article is intentionally misrepresenting things, this isn't an issue...etc.

I shit you not, one of those guys pulled this:
    "But this is a job for these girls and shouldn't we be concerned about making sure they have work in these tough economic times?"

1309699867558s.jpg

When I mentioned that the girls are STILL there but they just aren't allowed to have their nearly naked breasts hanging out for no apparent reason, I was then accused of trying to silence an opposing viewpoint and though the article source is not very valid there is still "truth" in what he is saying.

1308950574440.gif

I am going to leave this group.

Oh my god this might be the worst article I've ever read in my entire life.

Okay not "worst" because I read David Brooks but still.

I can usually parse these people out, but this guy has such a staggering lack of self-awareness, it's amazing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Boss lady called me in to unironically talk about the beauty of a graveyard near an old insane asylum. I had to adjust
    Liiya wrote: »
    I need a high level eligible bachelor.

Depending on your definitions of high, level and eligible, there still isn't any appropriate or even polite way for me to end this sentence in this thread! *smoke bomb*

Edit: Great, a draft got in there as well. Just great. Great.
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Boss lady called me in to unironically talk about the beauty of a graveyard near an old insane asylum. I had to adjust
    Liiya wrote: »
    I need a high level eligible bachelor.

Depending on your definitions of high, level and eligible, there still isn't any appropriate or even polite way for me to end this sentence in this thread! *smoke bomb*

Edit: Great, a draft got in there as well. Just great. Great.

Yeah, well it's a pretty great draft, so thanks for leaving it in. Sounds like the start to one of those collaborative story things.

my erection up under my waistband in an effort to hide it, I don't want her thinking graveyards get me going. When I saw the pictures of the asylum and graveyard on her screen, I had a sudden

urge to run to a thread about feminism and talk about my boner.

You forgot to start another sentence. C-

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Speaking of boners, I always liked this essay from Captain Awkward.
    Notes From A Boner

They pop up from time to time on Facebook. Time-stamp 3 AM, from an old friend I used to mess around with in college. “Hey, what’s new? I was just thinking about you.”

I bet you were, buddy!

Sometimes they show up in the film class that I teach. I play a clip from Soderbergh’s Out of Sight, to show how color temperature isn’t just a technical thing and you can manipulate it to create mood. “What did you see? What do you think?,” I ask the students.

Every time I do this, a freshman boy says something like “She’s sooooo hot” or better yet, “She used to be so hot,” referring to Jennifer Lopez, who frankly kills it in this role. The girls and gay boys don’t say anything about The Clooney, and I quickly change the topic to “What did you think ABOUT THE LIGHTING” while delivering my best over-the glasses disapproving mom look. The one that says “It is I, Queen Femicunt¹, First of her Name, Khaleesi of the Bitchrealms and the Isles of No Funnington.” I want that boner to slink away and think about what it did. But its presence still lingers. Every clip I show, I now have to think about from the point of view of a taunting, persistent boner.“You’re teaching cinema, I see. Did you know that nearly everything ever created in this medium was designed to make ME happy on some level? Muahahahahaha!

Sometimes the notes from boners get delivered on the street, or on the eL. “Smile!” “You should smile more!” “Hey baby, where’s that smile?” and if I don’t smile, or I smile like this (using two middle fingers to hold up the corners of my mouth),“Bitch!” “Fat bitch” “Ugly bitch” Here I was, walking around, grocery shopping, registering to vote, minding my business. I didn’t know I was making the boners sad. Fortunately The Committee for Boner Rescue and Repair was on the case to educate me. I imagine their letterhead, with Notes from a Boner! Stamped! at the top, ready to deliver humbling memos to grateful citizens everywhere.

Sometimes I write back back to the boners. Like, when I tried to sell my bike on Craigslist, and a guy sent me a dick pic from hisrealname@wherehereallyworks.com. Not wanting that boner to go to waste, I shared it with humanresources@wherehereallyworks.com. Boners are spontaneous. They live in the moment. They don’t always think things through.

Or, you know how sites like LinkedIn will try to get you to plug in your whole email address book when you sign up? Yeah, never do that. Because if you do, every single person you’ve ever emailed in your life will get a request to “connect” on LinkedIn. Like me, that girl you hooked up with one time six years ago. And if I get that request, I will write you recommendations. “Not a leader, but takes direction well.” “A workmanlike and thorough attention to detail.” “Extremely dedicated to his work! Goes above and beyond to close the deal!” That last one was for the guy who tried to sell me his TV the next morning while I was looking for my bra underneath it. “Do you like it? Come by Best Buy later, I can totally hook you up.”

When I wrote the rec, he wrote back “Thank you!” and still displays it on his profile.

I’m thinking (hoping?) he has no memory of who I am.

Boners and I have had a pretty great relationship, at times. When I first met one in the wild, my high school boyfriend and I were pretending to watch David Lynch’s Dune. He’d just taken off my shirt AND my bra, the first time anyone had done that, and suddenly suddenly this boner, felt up gingerly through a pair of acid-washed overall jorts, was giving me a LOT of information like HELLO, YOU ARE GREAT, MAYBE THE GREATEST AND MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN WHO HAS EVER LIVED LET’S STAY LIKE THIS FOREVER. It was a level of approval I was not used to. A mutual appreciation society I was happy to join.

I joined up for real in college. So many boners! So many that seemed to like…me! Some that were attached to people who also liked me (which is by far the best place to get one’s boner-supply), though figuring that out was pretty confusing for a while. Like, clearly your boner likes me more than it has ever liked anyone, how is that not translating into true and lasting love? Maybe if we just try that again it will work and you will become addicted to me, Jennifer, the human, and we can also talk about books and go to museums and fall asleep together holding hands? No? Maybe again? Once more time? Let’s check, just to be sure. The dick is not directly connected to the heart, you say? Okay. I get it. Are you really, REALLY sure, though?

Or sometimes the opposite could be true: We could like alllllll the same books and stay up all night talking and dancing and being kindred spirits like in Anne of Green Gables but the boner would be totally silent on the matter. Reluctant. Shy. Gay as (movie version) Gilbert Blythe.

Nowadays things are much less confusing, at least in my personal life. I’ve achieved Boner Congruence, where my favorite boner is attached to my favorite person, and that’s that. Or it should be. But I feel like I can’t escape from boners and their stupid bonepinions². In my class. On my commute. Being merrily stroked in my general direction on the corner outside The Green Mill. And in every. freaking. internet discussion, there they are. Fucking boners. Women can be discussing literally any topic, and dudes will come interrupt to tell us how it makes boners feel. Sometimes they want to reassure us, like, when we talk about being fat as a feminist issue, or the constrictions of conventional beauty standards, they chime into say “But I like bigger girls.” Well thanks, Internet Stranger-boner! That totally makes up for every bad thing women have ever experienced at the hands of the patriarchy, which definitely for sure does not include you. Other times women will be talking about particle physics or literature or their very responsible jobs, like, running the world and stuff, and the boners feel left out and confused, so they just say completely inane stuff. As if “I would/would not do her” is the one true standard on earth.

Sometimes the boners want to warn us, as in “Maybe that HitlerBieber³-looking dude out in California wouldn’t have shot so many people if some chick had just touched his boner. Guys get so lonely, you really don’t understand what it’s like.”

Are you fucking serious, boner-owners? There is not a disapproving mom look IN THE UNIVERSE that is withering enough for this. Imagine being That Girl for a moment, the heroine who sacrifices herself so that others might live, delivering the sad lifesaving handy to the twisted boy with the guns in his murder van. Buffy the Boner-slayer. The Chosen One. Do you think it stops there? Do you think she gets to walk out of that van, out of that relationship, alive? Best case scenario she just postpones it for a little while, and then when the shooting starts, it starts with her.

I guess what I’m saying is that I need the boners to shut the hell up for a while. PEOPLE can speak, just, try to go like a month without letting your boner chime in to offer its thoughts on whether someone is sufficiently hot. Please. I beg you. Because everything that made boners lovable – your enthusiasm, your vulnerability, your indomitable spirit – is now just making me tired. Put the letterhead away. Stop telling me what I can do with my face, with my body, with my attention, with my time. Stop poking yourselves into every conversation, nook, and cranny. DEFINITELY take a seat during all future elections or serious discussions of grownup things that actually affect the way we live our lives. Come out singly, one by one, with your tiny invisible boner-hands in an attitude of surrender, when and only when you’re specifically invited to contribute. Until then, go sit in the corner and think about what you did.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    The only time boners should come out is when everyone present has consented to the latest news on your boner.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hear ye hear ye! Boner news!

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was reminded that there used to be a character named Boner, and was gonna grab an image, then I realized I was typing

"Growing Pains Boner" into google and quickly alt-f4'd

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Whoa holy shit he died.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "‘Boner’ found dead in Canada"

Worst headline or best headline?

Also I had no idea that he was Walter Koenig's son.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    not to whip out (heh) my trans pride

but many women are capable of erections

and have to deal with people obsessing about their capability to do so

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I always found it interesting is that despite GG being about "Ethics in journalism", I have yet to see a GG actually bring up anything other than "Women Gamemakers sleep around..." I mean, looking for corruption in the game industry is like finding a fedora at a MRA gathering. It's everywhere, whether it's game companies gifting free stuff for positive reviews, companies shutting down not-so-positive reviews via sneaky means, obviously biased journalists, etc.

But nooo, they pick the "according to her ex, a gamemaker may have slept with a reviewer"

It would make no sense for anyone who really cares about ethics in gaming journalism to want to associate with GG in any way. It's friggin gaming journalism. It's entertainment. Most entertainment journalism in general is fluff. Not many people really care because it doesn't have that much of an impact on people's lives. In fact, entertainment journalism has often been part of the entertainment. Movie/TV reporters get invited to Hollywood parties and hang out with celebrities all the time to "report" on them.

If GG had been about something important like investigating government corruption or corporations polluting the environment then I can understand why people might want to fight for it. However, the supposed issue behind GG is not so important that it's worth fighting to keep the name when it's been so tainted. There's no reason why people who really care about ethics in gaming journalism wouldn't just start their own hashtag/movement/organization rather than trying to stick to GG.
    Uriel wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there is a digital distribution videogame site that shares a name with the harassment campaign.

I wonder how bad of a PR problem the whole thing is for them.

The digital distributor is called gamersgate and they're actually pretty good. They are not happy about GG. They've tried to explain that they're not part of GG.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Slacker71 wrote: »
    According to Pew about 6% of US people also refuse to answer the question. They are looking at re-wording it to "race or orgin", which I would answer.

Radioactive Spider Bite

Sex Radioactive Sex

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about how people are flipping shit because a writer suggested that people take a year off of reading books by straight, cisgendered white men?

Can we talk about how baller Neil Gaiman is??

http://gizmodo.com/the-great-internet-debate-over-not-reading-white-men-1690376231

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm way ahead of that, I took a year off from reading any books

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Can we talk about how people are flipping shit because a writer suggested that people take a year off of reading books by straight, cisgendered white men?

http://gizmodo.com/the-great-internet-debate-over-not-reading-white-men-1690376231

That's a neat idea, but it made me realize I don't usually even look to see who the author of a book is before buying it. I just buy books based on the title/cover/description and if it's got good or great ratings. If I like the book then I'll see who the author is and get more stuff from them, but often I don't look up anything more than their name and know nothing else about em.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Sometimes I write back back to the boners. Like, when I tried to sell my bike on Craigslist, and a guy sent me a dick pic from hisrealname@wherehereallyworks.com. Not wanting that boner to go to waste, I shared it with humanresources@wherehereallyworks.com. Boners are spontaneous. They live in the moment. They don’t always think things through.

bahahahah

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited March 2015
    “It is I, Queen Femicunt¹, First of her Name, Khaleesi of the Bitchrealms and the Isles of No Funnington.”

Hey, Witch King @Usagi , if you ever get tired of that title...

Goatmon on

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

That's a neat idea, but it made me realize I don't usually even look to see who the author of a book is before buying it. I just buy books based on the title/cover/description and if it's got good or great ratings. If I like the book then I'll see who the author is and get more stuff from them, but often I don't look up anything more than their name and know nothing else about em.

That's part of the problem that article talks about. The vast majority of bestselling books are written by straight white men and if you don't make a point to search out other authors you probably won't find anything else.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Is it just because I'm a white guy that I find it really weird that so many of the scifi and fantasy books I've been reading refer to women as females?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Octavia E. Butler and Margaret Atwood are good authors to start with if you don't want to veer away from sci-fi. Those two have more talent between them than almost any bestseller list you can point to.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    “It is I, Queen Femicunt¹, First of her Name, Khaleesi of the Bitchrealms and the Isles of No Funnington.”

Hey, Witch King @Usagi , if you ever get tired of that title...

I do kinda like this, but the title is taken B)

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I am reading The Road at the moment and probably need something trashy and fun next.

Any recommendations?

broken image link
  • Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I always found it interesting is that despite GG being about "Ethics in journalism", I have yet to see a GG actually bring up anything other than "Women Gamemakers sleep around..." I mean, looking for corruption in the game industry is like finding a fedora at a MRA gathering. It's everywhere, whether it's game companies gifting free stuff for positive reviews, companies shutting down not-so-positive reviews via sneaky means, obviously biased journalists, etc.

But nooo, they pick the "according to her ex, a gamemaker may have slept with a reviewer"

Yeah I dismissed the "concerns" of GamerGate the moment I saw that their opening gambit was slut shaming a woman developer.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    on the subjects of feminism and books here's a couple sites about ladies and reading that I've been waiting for an excuse to share

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/
    http://skepchick.org/

I only know about them because some ladies from those sites have been guests on the Read It And Weep podcast

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Twitter sucks sometimes. I just dropped think progress because they 1) spammed my wall retweening their articles three or four times a piece and 2) ran an opinion piece that calling out an international hate league against muslims.

I wouldn't have a problem with that last one if it weren't for the fact that they lumped Ayaan Hirsi Ali in there. Yes, some of her opinions are inflammatory and bullshit, but you get to have those opinions when your friend and teammate is assassinated on their front porch!
    I do disagree with her opinions and her decision to leave her faith on account of the murderous acts of others, but don't think her critique as someone who was of the faith can be put on the same level as people who attack it from afar.

I also believe that faith is more that dogma and organizations around the religion, but that's another thread.

I also think its impossible to have a sensible conversation with 140 characters when you are talking about a subject being headed up with death threats and doxxing when a century ago, women were beaten in the street and throwing themselves in front of the King's horse to fight for the cause.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    nuka wrote: »

"Wait, how did you even end up here"

"Tracking the scent of axe body spray is amateur"

8->

Goatmon on

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    on the subjects of feminism and books here's a couple sites about ladies and reading that I've been waiting for an excuse to share

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/
    http://skepchick.org/

I only know about them because some ladies from those sites have been guests on the Read It And Weep podcast

My limited (and old) consumption of skepchick was super great, especially since movements that identify as skeptical and women have a... rocky relationship, to put it mildly.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Skepchick was the ground zero for a schism in the modern atheist/skeptic community that basically divided people into those who actually want to use reason and science to better the world and people that are mostly in it to laugh at quacks and fundamentalists.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ARGH YES

I've been wanting to bring up Steven Universe again for a while.

First episode this week revealed a same-sex love involving one of the main characters, and it was handled really well.

And that article doesn't even cover what happened on Thursday, during the two-parter.

tagging this because it has big late-season spoilers, be warned
    Garnet was revealed (more like confirmed) to be a fusion between two gems, Ruby and Sapphire, both of whom are roughly Steven sized, and both are madly in love with each other.

They demonstrate this, and the power of that relationship, in the most amazing way possible.

I'm just gonna drop this here because nothing I say can possible do this clip justice.

If you are still on the fence about this show, WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW

I'm making it a text link because recent youtube videos don't embed properly right now.

I have been in awe of how beautiful and well-made this show is, and it just keeps getting better and better, and I can't even

Goatmon on

• Options
    The article does cover that, and it's really rad.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    oh my bad.

even so, the video proper is just an amazing thing to behold.

• Options
    The video is amazing, but I recommend everyone just watch all of Steven Universe because it makes that moment all the more incredible.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The world would be a better place if more people could just Believe in Steven.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Skepchick was the ground zero for a schism in the modern atheist/skeptic community that basically divided people into those who actually want to use reason and science to better the world and people that are mostly in it to laugh at quacks and fundamentalists.

Or to laugh at anyone, really. I've been into it a lot with people lately over "Yes, you Q#$^WE^#^, intersex XY women ARE STILL WOMEN." "But science!" "...science doesn't say that." "Why do you hate science?" ad nausium.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular

Okay, this is a safe place so I will ask it here. I get that cis is the opposite trans as in I myself am a cisgendered male- but the actual prefix c-i-s; where does that come from?

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Same place the prefix Trans comes from. Latin.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

At the end of the school year i put on my board a list of books that I think would be awesome for my students to read. Granted I teach freshmen, so i have to keep that in mind. But I try to be diverse in topics and protagonists and authors. I try to keep it light, no real stories about heavy depressing subjects: in 9th grade alone my kids read "The Bluest Eye," "To Kill a Mockingbird," and "The Kite Runner." Basically they get a lot of death, racism, and rape in their lit.

I still find myself with a bit of a dearth of African-american and female voices on this list.

Suggestions to counter this?

the list in the past:

Fiction:
    Good Omens
    Anasi Boys
    Hitchhiker's (that will ALWAYS be on my list)
    Oscar Wao
    A Confederacy of Dunces

Nonfiction:
    Assassination Vacation
    Freakonomics

Comics:
    Ms. Marvel
    Bravest Warriors
    Captain Marvel
    Sandman
    The Watchmen

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Goatmon wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »

"Wait, how did you even end up here"

"Tracking the scent of axe body spray is amateur"

8->

"Newer

Smash

Mouth"

sarukun on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular

Okay, this is a safe place so I will ask it here. I get that cis is the opposite trans as in I myself am a cisgendered male- but the actual prefix c-i-s; where does that come from?

Cis and trans are prefixes used in chemistry to describe structures in a molecule containing a double bond. If we split the molecule along the direction of the double bond then the groups that are on the same side are cis and the ones that are on the opposite side are trans.

Cis:
    Cis-2-butene.PNG

Trans:
    Trans-2-butene.PNG

So in gender identity, the outward presenting and personal experience of one's gender can be cis or trans.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Cis is Latin meaning "same side" trans means "opposite side"

This discussion has been closed.