As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The finale was great! The end was such a pleasant surprise.

I hope they make a new series, but I kinda also want to stick with Korra and friends too. At least to answer more questions than Avatar did by its end. I would also accept a show centered around Bolin, because he's the best.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I hope they make a new series, but I kinda also want to stick with Korra and friends too. At least to answer more questions than Avatar did by its end. I would also accept a show centered around Lin Bei Fong, because she's the best.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Also acceptable.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The finale was great! The end was such a pleasant surprise.

I hope they make a new series, but I kinda also want to stick with Korra and friends too. At least to answer more questions than Avatar did by its end. I would also accept a show centered around the genetics of bending and the activity of Tenzin's penis, because his donger is the best.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    10931454_894687407231625_7784964800652082015_n.jpg?oh=475ce8251949b0f746ea467abfdb357e&oe=5566CACA&__gda__=1429130774_9fd61e7b403ae0c12cb60deef318819e

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Wow

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Except that Asami will be dust and bones unless Korra dies an untimely death.

Still neat comic.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Untimely death seems like a thing for most avatars.

Even if they make it to old age death beds don't seem to be the final location so much as death fields or death craters.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »

Still neat comic.

Really depends on your definition of untimely.

Lots of completely natural ways for a person to die.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Still neat comic.

When disease hasn't been a highlighted factor in an Avatar's total life span and only death has, I assume that Avatars are inherently highly resistant to disease and other stuff (sans Death).

A good example of this is Korra's ability to withstand mercury poisoning, retain said mercury poisoning (though in smaller quantities) and be able to walk again.

Yogo on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Still neat comic.

When disease hasn't been a highlighted factor in an Avatar's total life span and only death has, I assume that Avatars are inherently highly resistant to disease and other stuff (sans Death).

A good example of this is Korra's ability to withstand mercury poisoning, retain said mercury poisoning (though in smaller quantities) and be able to walk again.

We've got a sample size of 4 here.
    None of the other thousands of avatar's life stories (well, death stories) have been told
    just sayin

i reckon this story could work naturally

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, longevity hasn't been an explicit Avatar power. Bumi and Sozin were both ancient too.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Aang only made it to 66; even accounting for the Avatar State shortening his natural lifespan, that's not terribly long.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah but Kyoshi was like 200+

• Options
    The reasons for longevity within the show has been very vague. I wouldn't read in to it any more than "We wanted to make it clear this character is extra-fucking-ordinary."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The reasons for longevity within the show has been very vague. I wouldn't read in to it any more than "We wanted to make it clear this character is extra-fucking-ordinary."

Plus Kiyoshi's super-old age is partly because they fucked up on realizing the time scale.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Sad thought: If Avatar's averaged 100 year life spans then there were only ever 100 Avatars.

Kinda get the impression they didn't really think through the time scales that much.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    i doubt they did

still you get 100 people in the same room yer gonna need a big room

let alone some poor schmucks head

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd imagine that early death would be an unfortunate side effect of being expected to reign in an entire planets worth of crazy benders in order to maintain balance.

I mean, bending allnfour elements can only go so far wheb facing armies.

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    I'll just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbN_fIoX0o
    Man, I was nervous when they we're describing Gaara's powers. Anime is hax to the max, and I'mma let you finish, but Toph Beifong is the greatest Earthbender of all time. :biggrin:

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So, I don't think this has been discussed, but
    Finishing Season 4, it kind of strikes me as odd that Kuvira was 100% right?

I mean, she was driving that fascist bandwagon, but without that she was actually pretty justified?

She was right that Lin should have stepped up and aided the Earth Empire and she was right that Republic city WAS actually just putting a puppet prince on the throne with their handpicked advisor's actually doing the hard work, basically making Republic City head of the Earth Kingdom?

If she didn't go full Stalin it would have been a....well, way too complicated issue for a kid's show to handle!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    That was the point of the series though. The villains are not wrong. They lack balance. They have allowed one aspect to so dominate them that they lose perspective and become complete shits. That is why Korra deals with Kuvira the way she does. This series was never about the big quest to stop pure evil, but about bringing balance to their goals. Amon, Book 2 villain, Zaheer, and Kuvira are all right up until they hit nut bag territory.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Yes what may confuse is that the main character, to whom you might look to for guidance on how to interpret the bad guys actions, has had an attitude up until halfway through the last season that could be accurately summarised as "Not working? Punch them harder!"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    END OF SERIES SPOILERS
    tumblr_nkpnavx7T61rptk5lo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nkpnavx7T61rptk5lo2_500.jpg
    Turtle-duck Date Night

This is my piece for the upcoming The Legend of Korra / Avatar: The Last Airbender Tribute Exhibition at Gallery Nucleus, opening this Saturday, March 7th, 6:00pm to 10:00pm. Mike and I will be there doing a signing for the first half of the reception (there are a limited number of spots in the signing line, but I’m not sure how they are working that), and hanging out for the rest. I think there will be a raffle, and plenty of cool stuff to purchase. A bunch of the crew members from the production will be there too (hopefully including some ATLA folks), so it is going to be a fun family reunion for us. I can’t wait to see all of the incredible artwork.

As for this piece, I used and modified Emily Tetri's production painting of Harmony Tower (designed by Lee Jung-Su). Otherwise, I drew and painted the rest of it. I based the turtle-duck boats on the charming swan boats I saw while visiting Ueno Park in Tokyo. Gallery Nucleus will be selling the above artwork as an exclusive print, in a limited edition of 100, to be released on opening night (and I’m pretty sure I’ll be signing them). I will be donating 100% of my share of the proceeds to an LGBTQ suicide prevention hotline.

I hope to see you Saturday! Get there early, as the lines for these Gallery Nucleus openings wrap all the way around a city block. If you can’t make it to the opening, the show will be hanging for two weeks. There is an event being planned for the closing as well. More on that later.

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/112732303027/turtle-duck-date-night-this-is-my-piece-for-the

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Thats some first class Feels Bending right there.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm getting teary-eyed all over again.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Looks like Korra S4 is finally up on Canadian iTunes.

Well, the first episode at least.

I'm finally going to be able to watch season four!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Book Four is out on Blu-ray today. Now with puppets!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I would buy this for the puppets alone!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I finally was able to watch S4E2.

Is it just me, or is Toph the only person other than Raava who understands that Aang and Korra aren't two different people, they're one person in different incarnations? Everyone else has been like "I knew your predecessor, Avatar Aang" and then Toph is like "I knew you back when you were Aang."

If Toph doesn't say something along the lines of "Do or do not, there is no try" in episode three, I'll be sort of vaguely disappointed. Especially after "wiggle your big toe" in E2.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    They are different people. They're linked, well, were linked, by Raava but they aren't the same person.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Yup -- Toph is the least correct, under LoK's terrible ruleset.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    They are different people. They're linked, well, were linked, by Raava but they aren't the same person.

Raava herself tells Won that they were bound forever. Later, when Won is dying, Raava talks about how they would never give up.

Where in the canon does anything come up that supersedes Raava's opinion on the matter?

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Yes what may confuse is that the main character, to whom you might look to for guidance on how to interpret the bad guys actions, has had an attitude up until halfway through the last season that could be accurately summarised as "Not working? Punch them harder!"

but then said person fails to simply punch harder and tries to get all philosophical about it.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Raava herself tells Won that they were bound forever. Later, when Won is dying, Raava talks about how they would never give up.

Where in the canon does anything come up that supersedes Raava's opinion on the matter?

Yes, as a group. They would not give up.

Every avatar is a unique person. Raava is the reincarnated spirit that connects them all.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    RaAva also says to Wan something about "In your next life"

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Yes, as a group. They would not give up.

Every avatar is a unique person. Raava is the reincarnated spirit that connects them all.

The uniqueness of each Avatar doesn't mean that the Avatar's spirit isn't reincarnated. The impression I got was that Raava and Won's spirits are continually reincarnated. Though the Avatar doesn't reappear again and again with the same personality or memories (without the use of the Avatar connection), that doesn't mean it's not the same spirit, and that there aren't some remnants of their former self that is preserved.

For instance, the Avatar selection process involves showing a child a selection of objects and seeing which one resonates with them. A personal connection to those objects belonging to previous Avatars seems more likely to come from a spiritual link on the part of the Avatar, and not on the part of Raava. The times we've observed this process, the Avatar hasn't tapped into their previous memories the way we've seen them do throughout the series.

The Avatar selection process also seems similar to one of the tests used when it comes to finding the next Dalai Lama reincarnation.

Toph would be correct if Korra and Aang possess the same spirit, and upon death it's sort of reset, only for a new person to grow. Which is what I think is happening, and what falls in line with certain Buddhist teachings on reincarnation, as a process that occurs without a continued stream of consciousness. Given the show's very deliberate reference, I think it's quite likely its take on the Avatar's rebirth is similar.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A traitless spirit isn't much of a person.

A point of hindu-flavoured rebirth is that individual persons are illusory. Depending on sect, rebirth doesn't concern persons.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I do like that the show is introducing people who would normally not be exposed to these kinds of non-Western concepts and traditions, especially early on. It may not be perfect in the execution, but what is?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Pre-convergence, it doesn't make an appreciable difference if Aang is Roku or not, as Roku's mind is preserved intact and can manifest wholesale, even speaking to bystanders and casting spells.