As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You've been down too long in the Sunless Sea

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    get more nex

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    God damnit

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Mmmmm, I was just guessing with Mandukhai. I also suddenly have a pressing need to buy a newspaper print as a result of this conversation, neat

God geeking out with this stuff is fun, so, general lore spoilers,
    It goes in receding order London, Karakorum, Tenochitlan???, Memphis??? and ???

I really don't know if I should tell you - half the fun is trying to figure it out yourself

I can tell you
    you're almost certainly off with the second city

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Augh it burns

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    Alright last one but I feel it is a testament to the quality of the writing that everything I do to oppose those batwinged jerkwads feels positively transgressive

• Options
    look

the Masters do bad stuff

but the upper echelons of the revolutionaries are fucking terrifying by their own right

and we haven't even touched on the New Sequence fanatics

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Oh they're all complete goddamned wingnuts and I feel even less comfortable with them just because I don't have the foggiest notion what they're actually on about (besides being terribly creepy), the Masters are just in charge and thus need to be shat on

Hobnail on

• Options
    edited March 2015
    the masters

in charge

heh

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Listen man

• Options
    :bzz:

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    God damnit God damnit

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Sigh. Particularly heartbreaking loss. The Irreverent Debutante met a savage end at the business end of a mutiny after completing the Principalities of Coral quest. I left port with 93 Terror after the scary stuff that happens in that quest chain, then my crew had bad dreams, so, by instinct, I asked them to describe them (hey, that's Fragments right there). I wasn't thinking clearly, because that's a +10 Terror action. I couldn't make the 42% chance to cut down the mutineers, and that's all she wrote.

I had 4 Heirlooms worth of treasure in my hold.

http://youtu.be/Y3Y4Ls0FvPQ

I recommend everyone have this on standby while playing.

It takes the sting out of dying horribly in the dark, afraid and insane.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I just got very drunk with Failbetter.

They are some wonderful people.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Why wasn't there more Serault stuff in DAI?

The Last Court was cool

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    OH

Mass Effect Failbetter game

Set it on Omega

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    vsove wrote: »

yesssssss the worlds are mixing

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »

yesssssss the worlds are mixing

It was an evening of mutual fan love.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    OH

Mass Effect Failbetter game

Set it on Omega

Actually a Mass Effect game with Sunless Sea's mechanics that just had spaceships instead of steamboats and stations/planets instead of islands would be pretty damn sweet.

I can't wait to go insane from exploring Ilos.

EDIT: Alternatively, it could just be the Mako, all day, erry day.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Cosmonautica is probably the closest thing I've seen to Sunless Sea in Space. Still very much early release and not a lot of content, at least not the last time I checked, but some similar mechanics. You don't actually manually steer the ship outside of combat situations, but lots of trading and little missions here and there.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Today I got the Steam-Yacht after finishing
    the Neathbow.

It... isn't very good. It's huge, cumbersome, and has no forward guns, so zee combat is a chore. The stat bonuses are nice (I haven't done the Wisp-Ways or the Godfall dungeon yet), but I can't imagine aiming for this thing as a major goal. I basically only switched to it from the Corvette because it was basically free and I needed a larger cargo hold to finish the Impeller and the Merchant Venturer's quest chain.

This captain was started as pretty much a throwaway rebuilding character after my last one spent all her heirlooms and then got mutiny'd right away, but he has actually accomplished a lot. Got the +25 Veils legacy item, burned the sorrow-spiders' tree (those tomb-colonists I sacrificed for the opportunity did not die in vain!), bought a zee-side mansion, have two maxed-out spy networks, built up 14 heirlooms from nothing, and I think I'm in a position where I'll be able to pick up the +25 Iron legacy item and then do the new Exultation ending. Oh, and I'm organizing a tiger revolution in Port Carnelian. Viva le Tigre!

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Getting the impeller killed this for me, now I can get everywhere faster and then spend the time I saved going in circles waiting for SAY.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    In browsing the legacy items on the wiki, it's occurred to me that I came super close to accidentally acquiring two of them on my last and current captains.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Getting the impeller killed this for me, now I can get everywhere faster and then spend the time I saved going in circles waiting for SAY.

It's pretty difficult to get the Impeller, though. You need:
    a ship with a larger cargo hold than the starter ship, 2K-3K echoes for the ransom from Wisdom, the ability to handle the Frostfound dungeon, sapphires, and a (probably literal) ton of stygian ivory. Oh, and you need an Element of Dawn, which either costs your Memento Mori or like 50 Supplies and some Vital Intelligence on top of murdering like half your crew.
    I can imagine that, by the time you get the thing, you're a bit impatient to finish the game, get your legacy stuff, and start over. I know in my current game, basically the only reason I am going after the Impeller is because I have a hunch that the ending I'm looking at will need it.

I suppose that it's possible to engineer a game where you get the Impeller right away,
    (Inherit a Memento Mori and a whole lot of cash, basically)
    but you do that, you basically know you're gunning straight for EZ mode. It's like back in Fallout 2 when you could save scum the trip to the Enclave base where you can pick up advanced power armor that made the rest of the game a joke, or you could, you know, just play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    So

The Tree of Ages

It's not quite a ship, it's not quite a zee monster, but maaaaaannnn am I ever fucking dead

• Options
    So

The Tree of Ages

It's not quite a ship, it's not quite a zee monster, but maaaaaannnn am I ever fucking dead

Oooh, I've never seen it in zee gameplay. Murdered it when it was land-bound as part of a story, though. How did you get it to appear? Was it just random or did you have some story achievement at The Nativity?

I've killed Mt. Nomad, I've killed the Eater-Of-Names... I'd like to hit the tree to get the trifecta.

• Options
    pretty sure up until now the Tree didn't appear due to a bug. There was an update a few days back - I think it should spawn in Saviours Rocks now

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    pretty sure up until now the Tree didn't appear due to a bug. There was an update a few days back - I think it should spawn in Saviours Rocks now

There's a Saviors' Rocks storyline where
    you fix up the Wreck of the Nocturne to fight their foe (why does everybody in this game hate Lorn-Flukes?).
    You basically ask, "Why don't you have the Tree of Ages do it? And they have an answer, which is, basically, "shut up and enjoy this gameplay we have written for you."

• Options
    The dialogue I got was more "Tree of Ages? Whats that we don't have one don't be ridiculous go away" and the next time I come round the bastard showed up and murdered me

• Options
    The dialogue I got was more "Tree of Ages? Whats that we don't have one don't be ridiculous go away" and the next time I come round the bastard showed up and murdered me

Clearly you knew too much.

• Options
    Okay.

When the changelog said that you shouldn't do the new ambition, Exaltation, until you've seen everything you want from the zee, what they really meant was, "don't do this until your last playthrough."

I'm spoiling the ending here, because this shit is serious.
    You basically end up giving up everything to do this ending. I got to Kingeater's Castle and got to choose the stuff I lost. I lost 25 to all stats, my Iron-Clad Will, my mansion, and all 17 of my Heirlooms. I thought, "well that sucks, but I have money, I can buy some of it back." Yeah. I managed to write a will, get back to 5 Heirlooms, and buy a townhouse.

Having taken care of that business, I went about the final bit of the Ambition and zailed East. I got to where I was going, but then it dinged me again. Only this time it brought all my stats to *1*, removed my lodgings again, removed my Iron-Clad Will again, erased my Heirlooms again, and killed my Scion. The only things I was allowed to transfer over to my next character were my +25 Legacy items (THANK GOD) and my background item (in this case, the Memento Mori, though I don't have enough cash to buy a ship that can mount it). Discounting my improved starting stats from the legacy gear, it's as if I were just starting off again.

So yeah. Don't do that, at least until you know what it'll cost you.

• Options
    Necromancy be goddamned, if this game warns you to not return to London, do not return to London. I am filled with melancholy, I don't think I can play this thing for awhile.

Why do the anarchists want that?!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So late to the party but I got this game. I'm on to the fifth captain. They don't get names anymore. They don't need them. Don't want them neither. Got a townhouse, some decent money, some decent officers. The Khanate isn't very nice though.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    So I'm not dumb enough to sell my soul... but I am curious enough to give it away for free.

Edit: Also got an item to summon something something Nomad? Why... why do I get the feeling that doing that would be a bad idea?

Gundi on
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    So late to the party but I got this game. I'm on to the fifth captain. They don't get names anymore. They don't need them. Don't want them neither. Got a townhouse, some decent money, some decent officers. The Khanate isn't very nice though.
    Names are overrated. I just give a description now. Forlorn Colonel. Dewy Heartbreaker. Mysterious Heir. That sort of thing. Just like the game itself.

I have never heard of an item to summon Mt. Nomad. Must be new.

You are not prepared.

• Options
    So uh the eastern Zee is... it's kind of terrifying. Like, every island.

• Options
    I have recuited a Rubberman... my absolute biggest priority is to seduce said Rubberman.

• Options
    be honest

you're only in it for the tentacles

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    So um I ran into Mt. Nomad...

And I lived! Because I ran away like a chicken.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    So um I ran into Mt. Nomad...

And I lived! Because I ran away like a chicken.

Killing Mt. Nomad, at least when I played, was sooooooo not worth the hassle.

• Options