As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    So I built a light diffuser box. Now my models look smexier.
    dowjeqg76u1a.jpg
    iukb2cjbzl1w.jpg
    ufgpa6gmmf2e.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I've been playing around with Giraldez's Red. Now I want to do Saim-Hann.
    IMG_2210.JPG

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Can't wait until I pick up my copy.

Its so good!

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah that guy does some incredible work.

@Asher that red is boss.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    That is a sexy red. Was it easy to pull off?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm curious, Asher - what size needle do you have for your airbrush? Part of what I took away from the book was that he does that incredibly fine airbrush work by using a .2 and .15 needle, so I'm wondering if you're using something significantly larger than that? In looking around yesterday, I found it listed that a 105's stock needle is .83 or so, and I had planned to hit my hobby shop this morning and buy a fine needle + bits to have a better option for this sort of work.

I have an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse and still use the default 0.35 Needle, so yeah its a bit chunkier than Giraldez's. At this size it's fine for doing jetbikes, grav tanks, and TAGs for Infinity and generally basecoating shading and doing stuff. I'm going to try to do the Limited Ed Joan of Arc as per his walkthrough, but I don't think it'll be fine enough for that. Still gonna try it and see what happens. I can get it pretty fine.

Thanks for the props on the red guys! The jetike canopy took maybe 10 minutes? Including adding dings and shading by hand and swearing at the brush when it clogged.

Good to know.
    Otherwise, the guys at the shop were pretty confident the 105 comes with the smallest needle it's built for, so now I have some conflicting information and have to do more research. :P

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    DLxv0kI.jpg

Mostly finished ( finally ) :)

That is frankly stunning.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Wow, perfect timing for me coming after J and his god powers. I'm working on my third ever mini and it's got a lot of cloth so I thought I'd try some blending. It's just going horridly. How do you people do this?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    God dammit, @J.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Wow, perfect timing for me coming after J and his god powers. I'm working on my third ever mini and it's got a lot of cloth so I thought I'd try some blending. It's just going horridly. How do you people do this?
    Routine blood sacrifices, mostly.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    But I only have so much blood to give!

Regarding fine needle airbrushes, I bought a H&S Infinity 0.15mm last year and had nothing but hell with clogging (regardless of how I thinned my acrylics), and the needle is fragile as hell. The tip bends if you so much as look at it funny.

I switched the nozzle and needle out for a 0.2mm set and, while I don't use it as much as I should, it's been smooth sailing ever since.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    But I only have so much blood to give!

That's why you don't use yours!

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I can't help but think we're on a watch list somewhere now.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited March 2015
    God I hope so.

In other news, while I'm finally not sick and home, we're having yet another snow storm. One of these days I'm going to get this gundam model finished. >_<
    Going to try and do LE Ashlynn for a painting competition in April. I think I have better models, but she's just what I feel like doing for it.

ArcticLancer on
    Which sculpt is the limited one? Im waiting on asphyxious to show up to paint. Trying to figure out colours.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    @J Do you use a lot of glazes, or how do you achieve those transitions?

Yeah lots of glazes for shading and gradually layering up to those more extreme spots on some edges.

LE Ashlynn is the one with the flag. Also known as the one that doesn't look like ass. :P But I think the flag is rather bland for its size, which is why I think I have better models. I would just rather be a better painter before painting those models.

Aha, I like that one. What is it your holding back then. Do tell.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Is this the right thread for general model questions? Finaly set up my painting area after being out of Warmachine for two years and I started pinning together one of those Dragoon Cavalry guys and my drill bits are getting absolutely destroyed by these pewter miniatures. Everything I have is still metal before Warmachine went all plastic on us.

Anyone have suggestions for drill bits for my dremels that could last more than 1 or 2 pinnings before having to be replaced?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    I haven't had drill bits wear out on me like that but I only use a hand operated one. Pin metal all the time :so_raven:

I've snapped a bunch of bits, but yeah, never had them wear out on me.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Don't use a Dremel, get a hand drill set like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Micro-Drill-Vise-Chuck/dp/B001RJE3X8/

I'm actually using a power drill <_<

But I keep it steady on the table and push the miniature onto the drill, rather than holding the mini still and drilling into it.

J wrote: »
    Aha, I like that one. What is it your holding back then. Do tell.
    I think we skipped a beat somewhere - Nothing is holding me back on Ashlynn, but did you mean something else?

I think so. You said you were waiting to be a better painter before tackling your other models? I was wondering what they were :)

Gaspy came in the mail today, so I have till about 6pm to decide on a scheme, hurr.

I've got a couple of McVey miniatures kicking around. The butterfly dude, one of the Japanese females with swords and lots of flowy bits, and the girl on a jetbike. I'd like to just be better at painting cloth in interesting ways before tackling the first two. The last I could probably do a decent job on, actually, but will hold off for now. Again, part of me just wants to paint this Ashlynn model. :)

As far as paint schemes, uh ... is this a one-off model?

Ah. Love the McVey stuff. You should paint the jetbike one for sure. Its a badass kit and I bet you'd do it justice.

Gaspy is a maybe one off. We will see.

Honestly, I'd love to see some yellow in Cryx and you're definitely the man to do such things properly ... Dunno if "yellow" is really enough of a starting point, but I imagine it quite easily either replacing their standard green glows or their cloaks and capes.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    yellow and black industrial striped Cryx would be interesting. Basically the Iron Warriors scheme.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    A primary yellow Cryx force would look awesome and unique. Get the yellow all grimy with some rust showing through as well and I think it could be something great.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm actually using a power drill <_<
    That's probably what's doing it - the power and torque of the drill is way beyond what a bit of that size going into metal is meant to take.

Yellow could work and is probably the only colour im not currently using in some scheme or another.

Literally watching paint dry here.

DnLO4ZK.jpg

• SneakypersonSneakyperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So I bought a Forgeworld Adeptus Titanicus Tech Priest Enginseer for my dark hersey group and I did not realize it was modeled right to the base. I plan on using Secret Weapon Bone Fields for the groups mini and not sure how I would go removing him from his base with out wrecking him out right I'm thinking razor saw or jeweller saw

Sneakyperson on
This discussion has been closed.