As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2015 Pin Trading Event

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I guess I have sort of an odd suggestion:

It always seems like there's 2 staff members at a table, and they're almost consistently talking with community members/trades so keeping tabs at pins on the table/conversing seems difficult at times, not so much as someone cheating anyone out, but more for interactions of saying a simple "thank you" to everyone who stops by. Would it be possible for each staff member to have a table with an enforcer? I know having 14 enforcers with each staff member wouldn't exactly be ideal, but the enforcer could sort of do the table trades while the staff can interact with whoever is stopping by to say hi.

I do also like the ideas of having the tables spread out more, my personal favorite setup thus far was East 2014, with staff on each side of the trade area with wiggle room in the middle to mingle.

I was also not the biggest fan of enforcers sort of shooing us out, but I do get where they were coming from. I enjoy watching trades, the games, new people getting new pins, etc. I saw a few good pins drop at the trade event that I essentially just moved around within it just so I could play the games while still leaving a lot of the goods available for people.

Anyways, I'm sure my idea isn't the greatest considering it would require a bit more man power than desired, but hopefully it sparks some sort of ideas...

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    When I was allowed in to the trading area it was explained to me that I was welcome to wait in line to see all the tables, but if there was a specific staffer I was interested in I was welcome to go straight for their table. I found myself poking my head through the crowds and scanning the selection available. No one seemed to mind my poking (I made sure to say excuse me and not just push through).
    That being said, I don't know that I would do it again next year. The difference between last year and this year was like night and day.
    I was looking forward to having some conversations with the staffers, but I felt very rushed at the tables. I asked Brian a question about the pin binder he had, but he seemed very busy with everyone else and didn't respond.
    I had trouble understanding some of the games (particularly Mike's dice game) and it made me hesitant to approach the table at all.

What ended up happening with Khoo's wheel? I heard later on that I was one of the last people to play the game (still sad I didn't win that Aus Tycho).

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Khoo's wheel was awesome. It probably needs a bit of Wd40 because it seemed to stick occasionally.

Mikes game was pretty simple. You "choose your weapon" based on the Pin you give. Ranked Common to Rare, D4 to D12. You choose try Pin you want, D4 to D20. Roll off, high wins.

The "exploit" was that you could put two Pins down for the chance to win one, so you put down a D12 and a D8 to try and beat the D20. Pretty good game, I liked it.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    When I get to the front of the line at next pax I'm gonna be all

┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• EmptyRedEmptyRed Registered User new member
    This year's trading event was my first. Caught the bug this year and decided I'd check out the trading event.

While I admit I was in the trading area for maybe an hour, I also had no idea what I was doing. For instance, I didn't know that visiting a table multiple times was frowned upon. My girlfriend and I had limited pins and we were unsure how we wanted to "spend" them until we had gone to each table.

It might be a good idea to have a list of expectations, or if there already is inside the booklet, perhaps have a sign by the queue for the actual event. Maybe that'll make things seem too rigid and intimidating, but going in blind can equally as such.

In all though, Pin trading is amazing fun and a great means to socialize with people and I look forward to continuing the hobby.

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    When I get to the front of the line at next pax I'm gonna be all

┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bull drowning between two upturned Japanese dining tables?

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    (╯°□°)╯︵ Y9NLMuI.png

(╯°□°)╯︵ Y9NLMuI.png

Ok I get it now :)

And ah.... OUCH!

"Damn fine pins!"
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    I would like to see a bit more order in terms of moving through the tables. i.e. you start at one end and move to the other in a line. I wouldn't put a time limit on it, or stop people from going through the line multiple times, but just add a bit more order. Right now, it's basically a free for all. At PAX East (and South, Prime and East last year), the ONLY way to get a spot at a table was to push your way in. Waiting patiently resulted in someone pushing their way past you.

My wife no longer attends the pin trading events (as of East 2013), because she's smaller in stature and it's overwhelming for her to get pushed and jostled by 100's of people she doesn't know.

I try really hard not to push and jostle people, because I'm like 6'3" and around 200lbs, but it still happens.

That would be my suggestion.

• surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I missed the pin trading event at last year's PAX, so while I enjoyed this year's and was able to get a bunch of staff pins, it did feel rather chaotic. While I'm not shy about talking to people, I felt like I shouldn't be starting up conversations with staff members because of how many people were trying to get through and get pins. And I agree that really the entire point of staff pins is to get to interact with staff members. Trading Mike and Jerry personally for the CTS and Zombie Tycho was one of the coolest parts of PAX 2013, since it was my first time meeting them. I also didn't even get a chance to get to Mike and Kristin's table because it was so swarmed the whole time. I could have probably waited longer and tried fighting my way to the front, but I knew there were lots of people still waiting to get in and I felt like I had already been in the area for a while, so I just left and figured I'd catch Mike and Kristin next year. Not sure what would "fix" this (people have thrown out great ideas already), but it definitely did feel hectic and kind of took some of the magic out of the staff pins I think.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Khoo's wheel was awesome. It probably needs a bit of Wd40 because it seemed to stick occasionally.

Mikes game was pretty simple. You "choose your weapon" based on the Pin you give. Ranked Common to Rare, D4 to D12. You choose try Pin you want, D4 to D20. Roll off, high wins.

The "exploit" was that you could put two Pins down for the chance to win one, so you put down a D12 and a D8 to try and beat the D20. Pretty good game, I liked it.

While this sounds neat, doesn't this go against the rules of Pin trading:

"A Staff member can never refuse a trade"

I LOVE the idea of the game, but you risk not being able to get a trade.

• blighttdmblighttdm NYRegistered User regular
    Hello board!

First post on the board to leave some feedback and join the excellent discussion going on here. As a first time PAX attendee I can see some spots that may want to be tweaked in some way to be more new collector friendly. I was vaguely aware of what Pinny Arcade was before attending the event so I had a curiosity about what it was and where I could get pins. While standing in line for Welovefine for TF2 Pins I got an excellent intro from a Pinny Arcade enthusiast (Thanks again for that dude, I was sure to thank him a lot as I saw him at every Pin related thing that weekend) and before I knew it I was covered in sweet pins eager to start trading for some stuff that had caught my eye in the past.

This lead me to look to the guidebook app to see what was available that was Pin related. Pin Trading 101 was happening after the staff trading event, so I needed to carefully manage my time to make sure I got to both. On the queue for the staff event there were a lot of people around me in that line that didn't know much about it or only had a few pins to their names. So you can see how I think that it would have made a world of difference if the two events were reversed. People could have had a chance to get a basic intro to the hobby and then have a chance to get a few more pins before heading to the staff event so they had more to trade.

One other thing I would have liked to have seen wasn't necessarily more staff events but perhaps a small area marked for trading/ small merch booth dealing starter sets and maybe a few event specific pins. It just seemed a bit confusing for first timers to find where they could start if they didn't already order a starter set from the online store like me.

Hope I've made sense explaining it, it was a lot of fun at the event and can't wait till next year when I'll be ready for the staff event!

• NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »
    PedroAsani wrote: »

You were able to trade for his staff pin no problem, but if you wanted rarer pins, you could play the game. My only problem with that was that whatever pin you gave up, he would determine the "weapon" (dice) that you would be rolling against. Kind of drops it down to opinion, which could go either way.

ahh and see when I went I could trade for any pin on the table, I didn't have to gamble to win the tiamat or zombie tycho. I just had to see them and make a straight trade. the rules are stated they can't refuse ANY trade (same as most trading pin things)

Solelron wrote: »
    ahh and see when I went I could trade for any pin on the table, I didn't have to gamble to win the tiamat or zombie tycho. I just had to see them and make a straight trade. the rules are stated they can't refuse ANY trade (same as most trading pin things)

Well, to their credit, not all of the staff had games set up. It was only 3-4 I believe, the rest just had pins sorted out and you can put down and take. I think the staff realize what is and is not rare also, however, so they're getting wise. :P

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    blighttdm wrote: »
    Hello board!

First post on the board to leave some feedback and join the excellent discussion going on here. As a first time PAX attendee I can see some spots that may want to be tweaked in some way to be more new collector friendly. I was vaguely aware of what Pinny Arcade was before attending the event so I had a curiosity about what it was and where I could get pins. While standing in line for Welovefine for TF2 Pins I got an excellent intro from a Pinny Arcade enthusiast (Thanks again for that dude, I was sure to thank him a lot as I saw him at every Pin related thing that weekend) and before I knew it I was covered in sweet pins eager to start trading for some stuff that had caught my eye in the past.

This lead me to look to the guidebook app to see what was available that was Pin related. Pin Trading 101 was happening after the staff trading event, so I needed to carefully manage my time to make sure I got to both. On the queue for the staff event there were a lot of people around me in that line that didn't know much about it or only had a few pins to their names. So you can see how I think that it would have made a world of difference if the two events were reversed. People could have had a chance to get a basic intro to the hobby and then have a chance to get a few more pins before heading to the staff event so they had more to trade.

One other thing I would have liked to have seen wasn't necessarily more staff events but perhaps a small area marked for trading/ small merch booth dealing starter sets and maybe a few event specific pins. It just seemed a bit confusing for first timers to find where they could start if they didn't already order a starter set from the online store like me.

Hope I've made sense explaining it, it was a lot of fun at the event and can't wait till next year when I'll be ready for the staff event!

Starter Pins would be the PAX East '15 Core Set. Plenty of those to trade, and available at the Merch and Merch Lite booths.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular

You were able to trade for his staff pin no problem, but if you wanted rarer pins, you could play the game. My only problem with that was that whatever pin you gave up, he would determine the "weapon" (dice) that you would be rolling against. Kind of drops it down to opinion, which could go either way.[/quote]

He would only trade his newest staff pin. If you wanted/needed the Hobby pin he made you gamble.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    So there seems to be a need of having a community trading event, but a difficulty in having one due to requiring a place to do so and advertising it. If try to do one on our own we risk being kicked out of whatever place we find. If PA schedules it for us it is no longer really a community event. So while trying to distract myself from the mind numbing tedium of building multiple 3 foot long subs today I had a thought. What if PA set aside 1 room each PAX as a community use room?

It could either be run similar to tournaments where you sign up for a time each morning, or requests could be sent in ahead of time in order to make sure no one uses it inappropriately. They would just need to provide a few tables and chairs and maybe an enforcer to keep track of time limits. A few uses aside from us I thought of were: use it for community tournaments, podcasters could use it to do a live podcast without needing to have a panel, Indie studies could use it for a fan party instead of having to book a major place outside the convention center, etc. Thoughts?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think it would just get fought over and then there would need to be a tedious arbitration process for who gets to use the space. PAX already provides the community a space, imo, it's PAX. There's loads of places for groups to congregate. The pre-pax gaming night and the barcrawl don't need special advertising to be effective, they just need interest. If you have the interest, people will show up. The queue room seems like an ideal spot for this, just have to find a spot on the schedule where it isn't in use. People do always say more needs to be done with the queue area ;)

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Yea settings aside a community space is an interesting idea, but would require a lot of effort on our end to ultimately make a reality. Pick a space that is out of the way and you won;t get kicked out, you have enough veteran PAX goers amongst you so that should not be too difficult. And don't worry too much about getting every single person that trades pins there. Thats impossible, just do the best you can. Making it a fairly consistent thing PAX after pax (even if location and timing changes) will help it grow.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Why not use the queue room? Or downstairs in the BCEC by where the food trucks/coat check/bus shuttles came? There's tons of open areas at PAX east that we can use, it's really not that hard to find one!

Heck button trading at prime just got together at the Juice bar. You don't need tables to trade from Lanyards :)

• thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    I can't help but feel that it's in PA's best interest to create a designated trading area at PAX. I mean, this isn't really some niche thing that only a handful of people are interested in, right? There must be hundreds, if not thousands of people at each PAX that are potentially interested in Pinny Arcade. The growth and success of pin trading directly benefits PA. I suppose that using a corner of the queue room would be fine, but even a small mention in the guidebook would definitely speed its growth.

They had exactly that at AUS14.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Well we can brainstorm good trade locations, and designate times during the day when we can meet up or something... unofficial of course. Good trade spots would probably not be TOO out of the way, but still where there isn't a ton of traffic.

• blighttdmblighttdm NYRegistered User regular
    thx42 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel that it's in PA's best interest to create a designated trading area at PAX. I mean, this isn't really some niche thing that only a handful of people are interested in, right? There must be hundreds, if not thousands of people at each PAX that are potentially interested in Pinny Arcade. The growth and success of pin trading directly benefits PA. I suppose that using a corner of the queue room would be fine, but even a small mention in the guidebook would definitely speed its growth.

I was thinking along the same exact lines. While adding something to the guidebook makes it "official" as a space, that doesn't mean that we can't unofficially take some ownership of the space in a low traffic area. We have things like game lounges and other "spaces" dedicated to aspects of gaming/ culture, so why should Pinny be any different?

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    I think it would be even more beneficial to organize a community event somewhere (probably figure the Sunday/Monday night the show ends) in one of the general PAX community event spaces, to do swag trades. It's always interesting to me to see that most of the community swag trading happens on the forums. If it was done in person shortly after PAX ends it would be a nice place to go to trade everything obtained over the weekend pins, and all.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    miker525 wrote: »
    Monday night the show ends
    Psst psst, that's when the Enforcers get together to drink a lot reminisce about working the show, so I would suggest a different time.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    misskass wrote: »
    Psst psst, that's when the Enforcers get together to drink a lot reminisce about working the show, so I would suggest a different time.
    I think they are talking about the night the show ends, ie Sunday for most, Monday for Prime. What you are talking about is the day after show end, Monday or Tuesday. That being said, no event will work for everyone, especially around busy PAX time.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    misskass wrote: »
    I think they are talking about the night the show ends, ie Sunday for most, Monday for Prime. What you are talking about is the day after show end, Monday or Tuesday. That being said, no event will work for everyone, especially around busy PAX time.

What Becker said is the most truest of the statements. Thanks for clarifying :biggrin:

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    edited March 2015
    It's well known that PolitiFact rates Beker as loGUHPC.gif 90% of the time!

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    It's well known that PolitiFact rates Becker as loGUHPC.gif 90% of the time!

He also wears "Sex Panther".

"Damn fine pins!"
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Ultimately, I think the pin trading event will be different/better at Prime. Not that it was horrible at East by any stretch, but I think both the pinthusiasts and Management have learned some pretty good lessons. For me, my "do this and things will get immediately better" punchlist is as follows:

-Outward facing arc of tables instead of inward facing arc
    -A bit more space between tables
    -Some kind of reason to make your trades with staff and then leave
    -Something to leave and get into, like a couple of tables set up for Person-to-Person pin trading

• DatixDatix Registered User regular
    pureval wrote: »
    He would only trade his newest staff pin. If you wanted/needed the Hobby pin he made you gamble.

I threw a lot of pins at this as his hobby was the last one I needed to finish out the set. Walked away with one unchecked box on my Pin Quest. Later, in the hotel room, I sucked it up and bought it from The Pin Trader. It came last week and my eye twitch is totally gone now!

• Samurai_KittySamurai_Kitty PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Being new to pin trading this year at East, I found the pin trading event overwhelming. I had extreme anxiety going in because there was no explanation of "this is how this works" for newbies. Having something like that would help immensely for easing new traders in and might help make things run smoother. Also, I agree the crowded tables with people just standing there for forever left me with a bad taste for the whole event. I am claustrophobic and very much an introvert, not a good combination for the shoving crowds I was trying to deal with. I only made two trades, which I still have no clue if they were any good because the staff didn't talk to me besides handing me whatever I pointed at in my stunned terror. I was just so relieved to get out of that mess and move on to something else that night, I really don't know if I'd want to do another pin trading event now unless I saw that the format was changed.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Being new to pin trading this year at East, I found the pin trading event overwhelming. I had extreme anxiety going in because there was no explanation of "this is how this works" for newbies. Having something like that would help immensely for easing new traders in and might help make things run smoother. Also, I agree the crowded tables with people just standing there for forever left me with a bad taste for the whole event. I am claustrophobic and very much an introvert, not a good combination for the shoving crowds I was trying to deal with. I only made two trades, which I still have no clue if they were any good because the staff didn't talk to me besides handing me whatever I pointed at in my stunned terror. I was just so relieved to get out of that mess and move on to something else that night, I really don't know if I'd want to do another pin trading event now unless I saw that the format was changed.

I would love to work that into the Pin Trading 101 panel... assuming the panel was before the trading event.

I'm sorry the event was uncomfortable for you. That most certainly is not our goal, although we do want to try to let as many people in as we can so more can get an opportunity to trade. Its a balance that we will work on over time. There have been some good layout and format suggestions here that we will experiment with when we do this next.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm going to Prime this year, and I will probably be solo at the pin trading event. I think I might just shout out in line "Is anyone new to pin trading this PAX??!?!" and have them be my Pin Trading Event buddy for the evening. I will answer all of their pin-related questions, and walk them through the trade tables. Maybe I could take 2 people with me? Any more than that seems like it might be a bit much. I'll have to think about this a bit more, but I like the concept so far.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular

^ This, all of this. This is what turns my stomach and makes me shudder as a pin collector.

• CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

This was me last year, and it's rough. The only reason this wasn't me this year is thanks to a combination of anti-anxiety medication, a personal commitment to being more assertive, and half a year's worth of roller derby training.

Last year, I got all the staff pins and practically ran out of the event in desperate search of somewhere quiet and somewhat empty. I certainly felt the urge to do that this year, but I was better equipped to deal with those impulses. On a different day, or another year, though? Who knows. It's always a risk and PAX is already bright and loud and crowded enough to put a permanent debuff on my emotional fortitude.

I like @Hingo 's idea a lot. Having a buddy who is actively trying to help you learn does wonders.

But really, I have to stress the benefits of learning how to hip-check people.

Cowpuppy on
    Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?