As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SchlitzKrieg 2015! Beer-->Here (Brewery Tour):

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
[url=""]Ticket Link[/url]
If you're ordering from a Non-US location, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a different international payment link.

Washington State has almost 200 craft breweries, many with small-scale artisan brews that you're not going to find anywhere else in the world. Seattle is truly Beer Geek Heaven. The SchlitzKrieg is a beer tour for locals and out-of-towners alike, and focused on tiny up and coming nano-breweries that you probably won't find in the store. Throw in a little local history, an interesting scenic ride, and you've got a great way to spend a day outside of the Convention Center, where you can see more of the city than just the downtown.

Washington State Brewery Map

2012 was the first ever SchlitzKrieg at PAX Prime, where 30 Beer Geeks were loaded onto a big yellow bus and we toured 12 local craft breweries in the greater Seattle Area in 12 hours. You can check out that year's thread here and photos courtesy of @courtneyj from the first year here.

2013 was a Cycle Saloon tour around the breweries in the Seattle neighborhood of Ballard. It was fun but too much work.

2014 was a little strange, as we didn't get enough people to fill up a full bus so we all crammed into a van and a car. It wasn't terrifically comfortable. This year, we're getting a party bus.

Big Ass Bus Photos
DSCN1036-20--20Copy.JPG
DSCN1051.JPG

Where and When
Wednesday, August 26
9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Tour Map

Itinerary
7:30 am Pre-Funk Breakfast at the Athenian for anyone who feels like coming out
9:00 am Van Leaves from the Seattle Sheraton
SEATTLE
9:15 – 10:00 am Lantern Brewing
EDMONDS
10:30 – 11:15 pm Salish Sea Brewing
LYNNWOOD
11:30 – 12:15 pm Big E Ales Lunch Stop
EVERETT
12:45 – 1:30 pm Aesir Meadery
1:35 - 2:15 pm Justice Brewing
2:15 – 4:15 PM Scenic route from Everett to Mt Vernon, 2 hours (Includes stop for photos at Kayak Point and local Cascade ice cream at the Snow Goose Stand)
MT. VERNON
4:15 – 5:00 pm North Sound Brewing
5:00 – 6:00 PM Scenic route from Mt Vernon to Bellingham, 1 hour (Includes stops for photos)
BELLINGHAM
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm - Drinker’s Choice! Choose one or both. Dinner Stop
Boundary Bay Brewery
Aslan Brewing
7:30 pm – 9:00 pm Direct interstate route back to Seattle. Nappy Time!
9:00 pm Arrive back at Sheraton

Tickets and Registration
Tickets will cost $80 per person to reserve. This price only covers the awesome bus; please budget approximately $60 in additional money for the day to use for tastes, swag and food.
Note: The price could change slightly if the bus rental price fluctuates or we don't fill it completely.

Teams - will compete against each other for fun and the knowledge that you’re a winner.

Saaz Blammymatazz
1. @Decius
2. @ClannMorgan
3. @DeathNTaxes
4. @Baka Al
5. @MrBroadstone

Fuggle Muggles
1. @WuShock
2. @MagnusCarter
3. @chaosisorder
4. @Emod
5. @JobiwanKenobi
6. @Kevralyn
7. @Khadour

Sterling Archer
1. @tac042
2. @tac042 +1
3. @Brandobaris
4. @Brandobaris +1
5. @Shooer

Magnum is not Blue Steel
1.@thedivh
2.@thedivh+1
3.@thedivh+1
4.@thedivh+1
5. @DMB2015
6. @DMB2015 +1
7. @LexiconGrrl

Questions? Answers!

What is it?
A tour of an area around Seattle for beer lovers - whether you're local or coming in from out of town. Some more unusual, hidden gems will be included for any locals who might want to tag along and find new spots. It will also include some awesome area history, scenic rides wherever possible, restaurant stops, and the opportunity to see more than just the city.

What isn't it?
This is not a low-budget event. Also, much like the Pub Crawl, this is not a frat boy event. We're trying to pace the liquor so that everyone has a good time, including the guy that you didn't puke on.

When is it?
Wednesday 8/26 from 9am - 9pm

What's included for the price?
We’ve stripped down the tour this year and the ticket price only includes transportation.
• 6 - 8 Independent Breweries/Brew Pub stops
• Transportation to and from the Sheraton, including a party bus & driver
• A great time with fellow beer-loving PAXers!

What's not included?
We’ve stripped down the tour this year and the ticket price does not include the following
• Pints and Tastes
• Food or bus snacks (we do ask that you budget to get lunch and dinner at the tour stops)
• Souvenirs
• Brewery Swag, bottles or Growlers
• Pre-Funk Breakfast

Where Are you Going?
North through the Skagit Valley (see the North Sound area on the map linked above). It's a spectacularly beautiful farming area well known for its similarities to the landscape and climate of the Netherlands. We'll stop for lunch at Big E Ales in Everett, and then for dinner/happy hour at both the Boundary Bay Brewery and Aslan Brewing in Bellingham. They’re walking distance from each other so you can choose one or both. Then we'll turn around and head directly back to Seattle. It's about a 90 minute drive to the turnaround point nonstop, so we'd be taking it more slowly on the way up and doing the scenic route with stops for beer. On the way back, we’ll drive straight down the interstate.

How much will it cost?
$80 per person pays for the van, gas and mileage. Everything else this year will be out-of-pocket expense for each attendee.

Any overruns in the ticket price will be either refunded on the tour, or you can donate that money to Child's Play.

Can I change my mind/plans/existence and get a refund?
Yes but it's discouraged after August 15. People change their travel plans to attend this tour, so it's tough to fill in vacancies at the last minute. Also, since the ticket price is largely dependent on dividing the cost of the van between everyone on the tour, cancellations that we can't fill with a warm body makes a huge headache for everybody on the day of the tour, as I try to recalculate the cost and figure out exactly who owes what. Of course, I understand that shit happens but please make every effort to stick to your reservation.

Can I attend just a portion of the tour?
Sure, if you have your own car and designated driver. We'll be in a rural area pretty far out of the city and won't be accessible by bus or taxi.

I have a better/different stop/place/brewery to suggest:
Suggest away! All suggestions are welcome but keep in mind that stops will be decided on the following criteria:

- Proximity to the tour route
- Hours (they need to be open, or willing to open for us)
- Size (macro breweries are discouraged)
- Willingness to accommodate the tour

How do I sign up and/or pay?
The ticket link is posted at the very beginning of the thread.

Do you need any helpers?
We always need helpers.

Why a Beer Tour?
Seattle loves its beer. There are a ridiculous number of macro, micro and nanobreweries in and around the Seattle area, from small garage operations that sell growlers on the weekends, to large factories pumping out nationally distributed brews. Most Seattleites either home brew or know someone who does and the options here are amazing.

I can't go/It's out of my budget: Will there be another event later?
If you can't make it to any of the tours, just check out the Brewery map (linked above) and make up your own tour. Otherwise the Cycle Saloon is a good way to do a private tour if you can put a group together to split the cost. Also, this past year they added a MOTHERFUCKING PONTOON CYCLE BOAT. Seriously. Pontoon cycle boat.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• CerebusCerebus Registered User regular
    This seems like a good time, but I know they usually do the magical mystery tour the two days before PAX as well, so that may pull some folks (like myself) away from this. I'd love to do both if I could!

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Cerebus wrote: »
    This seems like a good time, but I know they usually do the magical mystery tour the two days before PAX as well, so that may pull some folks (like myself) away from this. I'd love to do both if I could!

Unfortunately, conflict with the MMT is inevitable. On the first year we held the tour on the Monday after PAX, but since Prime has gone to 4-days, the only other times to hold it would be the Tuesday before or after, and people just can't commit to that many days in Seattle. You'll have to choose.

But choose wisely.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    You have my axe ... er ... stein.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• CerebusCerebus Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Cerebus wrote: »

Unfortunately, conflict with the MMT is inevitable. On the first year we held the tour on the Monday after PAX, but since Prime has gone to 4-days, the only other times to hold it would be the Tuesday before or after, and people just can't commit to that many days in Seattle. You'll have to choose.

But choose wisely.

Ha! I am there nine days. If I am flying across the country I am doing it right. You are correct though that other folks probably won't be able to be there that long.

Cerebus on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Having done the MMT multiple times, this would be a good change-up to the Prime routine.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    Well, you can count me in for this again Lexi.

And no offence to Punzie & the MMT, but if you like beer and are in town on the Wednesday I'd definetly recommend the SchlitzKreig over MMT,as you can prob do the MMT stuff after pax easily. This? Not really.

edited March 2015
    Which names do you think we should give our teams?

- Really bad beer puns (Beerzilla, Beerly Legal, Hambeerglers...)
    or
    - Beverages from video games (Nuka Cola, BlackBriar Mead...)
    or
    - Beverages from Archer (Horatio Cornblowers, Black Mexicans, Green Russians...) (this option is @JobiwanKenobi 's fault)
    or
    - Classic beer brands (Labatt's, Hamms, Leinenkugel's, Rainier...)

LexiconGrrl on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

or
    or
    - Beverages from Archer (Horatio Cornblowers, Black Mexicans, Green Russians...) (this option is @JobiwanKenobi 's fault)
    or

Fictional drinks. Not just video games. Star Trek has bunches: Raktajino, Romulan Ale, Bloodwine, etc ...

I WILL CAPTAIN THE PAN GALACTIC GARGLE BLASTERS.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• BrewtiConBrewtiCon Registered User regular
    The Fremont brewery would be my suggestion, if its not already been suggested or declined. Because Darkstar.

Take a look at my pins
    BrewtiCon wrote: »
    The Fremont brewery would be my suggestion, if its not already been suggested or declined. Because Darkstar.

Fremont is great, but it violates bullets #1 and #3 under the Different Suggestions spoiler in the OP: 1) It's nowhere near the tour - we're heading North, out of the city and 2) It's too big. They're more of a Micro/Macro brewery and can be found in grocery stores everywhere.

There are about 14 (?) breweries in proximity to Fremont. You should totally consider checking some others out!

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I'll be there for this again! I may even persuade @Kevralyn to come along as well :biggrin:
    (Not bringing my steins though, they're way to heavy to be carting back & forwards to PAXen)

• tac042tac042 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    This is going to be my first time at PAX, and this right up my alley. Thanks for putting this together.

tac042 on
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular

or
    or
    or

Go with beverages from video games!

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This is relevant to my interests...though it will require planning on my part since I typically arrive Wednesday morning ~10am. Unless someone were to provide floorspace or a bed Tuesday night...

PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
    This is relevant to my interests...though it will require planning on my part since I typically arrive Wednesday morning ~10am. Unless someone were to provide floorspace or a bed Tuesday night...

If not here, there should be a room share thread up (if not already then soon) with such opportunities.

@kube00 , @JobiwanKenobi - okay so we need 4 teams. Any ideas to add to the list?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This sounds really great! One of the best beers I've ever had (Walking Man Barefoot Brown) came from Washington state, so I'd love to learn more about the beer up there.

Was planning to arrive on Thursday, but might reconsider! Going to be my first pax, so it would be great to meet some people over tasty beers I figure.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    This sounds really great! One of the best beers I've ever had (Walking Man Barefoot Brown) came from Washington state, so I'd love to learn more about the beer up there.

Was planning to arrive on Thursday, but might reconsider! Going to be my first pax, so it would be great to meet some people over tasty beers I figure.

It is super fun for meeting people and seeing the pretty places. Also: beer.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Oh snap! I'm totally down for this, we attended the first, and hopefully annual, beer swap at East, had a great time meeting new people and sampling beers. Count me in + 1.

Any word on deets yet?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

I've also been told I need to secure more Sub-Pop beer, if available.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

No deets yet, I've been busy with game night plans. I'll get something up soon.

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    I go with whatever team name I can still pronounce at the end of the tour.

Deets! Wanna know how strong my liver has to be!

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Okay, preliminary deets are preliminary.

1) There hasn't been as much movement on this thread as expected, so instead of planning for a big cray cray blowout, we're going to make it a little smaller and more intimate this year. We're capping registration at 9 people (not including the driver and tour assistant, which makes it 11 bodies total).

2) I'm not going to do the tour books and the prepaid tastes and all that. It will pretty much just be splitting the cost of the van rental between us all and the rest is up to each attendee. With a smaller tour group, it's less difficult for the breweries so we have more freedom than previous years when we prepaid for tastes and kept to a strict schedule in order to make the chaos more justifiable to the smaller brewers.

3) The tour is going north. We'll head up to Bellingham or Anacortes and back.

Side Note: The first year we did this, PAX Prime was still 3 days long. With the 4th day now, and it being held not on a holiday week this year, I think that extracurricular activity attendance is just down a bit. Last year we got the 15 seater van and put 15 people in it and it was pretty uncomfortable for everybody. I'd rather it be a more enjoyable experience for everyone even if that means capping attendance a bit.

HOWEVER - anyone who is local is MORE than welcome to join us in their own Pace car. It also opens up more registrations if you have an extra spot available in your car.

Question for everybody - do you want 30 minute stops at each brewery, or 45 minute? I'm leaning toward 30, since the group is so small this year.

Pending that I can get tickets, this'll be my first time. What's the difference? Other than the literal 15 minutes.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I default to the wisdom of @LexiconGrrl . As long as there are friends and beer, I'm on board.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Decius wrote: »
    Pending that I can get tickets, this'll be my first time. What's the difference? Other than the literal 15 minutes.

Shorter overall tour. More scenic routes. Less downtime waiting for other people to finish their drinks. Also less time for playing games at the breweries or having second beers.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm looking to get in, me and the spouse. How do I get a ticket? Want to lock it down be for the cap is reached.

I vote 30 just for drinking...45 if there are games to be played or food that can be ordered.

ClannMorgan on
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Put me on team 45 minutes... seems like that is enough time to drink, tour the facilities, peruse the merch and get rid of any excess liquids.

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    While I am here, I have another team name option to propose.... Hops. More specifically Hops Against Humanity. Here's how it would work:

Teams would be assigned the name of a variety of hops as their black card. For example: Cluster, Fuggle, Saaz, Crystal, Brewer's Gold, Galaxy, Glacier, Hallertau.

Throughout the day you would then be able to work as a team to come up with a the best white card to modify their team name for the next stop... for example Saaz becomes team Saaz-Blammymattazz.... (I suppose that's only funny if you watch Metalocalypse, though... but you get the idea...)

In truth its a bit more Mad-Libs than CAH... What do you think?

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
    We'll start out the teams with a pre-set name for their hops variety. The two starter teams will be Saaz Blammymatazz and Fuggle Muggles. During the tour, teams can change their name as often as they want. The team that comes up with the most variations on their hops name will win that particular challenge.

I'm looking to get in, me and the spouse. How do I get a ticket? Want to lock it down be for the cap is reached.

I vote 30 just for drinking...45 if there are games to be played or food that can be ordered.

The ticket link will be posted today.

OKAY! OP has been updated, the tour itinerary is posted under the Itinerary spoiler. There may be a few changes but this is a good start. We're on for 30 minute stops at each brewery, 45 minutes for lunch, and 90 minutes for dinner split between two breweries.

I'll get the ticket link posted later today. We'll have a waiting list if we get more registrations.

• Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    Well, put me on the 45 minutes per stop camp.
    And hopefully the tickets will go up whilst I'm still awake

They're up.

Prices may change if everyone wants to go with a nicer ride, but this will at least secure you a spot.

Team Fuggle, MuggleFuggers!! We all wear Jordans because we all got MAD HOPS.

(I promise I'll stop. Eventually.)

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

...and checkout won't allow Canadian addresses. Error out on my postal code :(

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth