As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TRENCHES] Thursday, March 12, 2015 - Breaking The News

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Breaking The News

Breaking The News
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/breaking-the-news

The Long Bug

Anonymous

When I was still a fairly new tester, I was working on a fighting game based off of a prolific anime series. My team was doing simple gameplay testing: playing over and over until we found an issue, writing it up, rinse and repeat.

The game boasted a playable roster of 70+ characters, and naturally there was an achievement for playing with all of them. I decided to make sure it worked. Cue a day and a half of playing through all of the campaigns, then playing single matches with all of the other characters. At the end, I wasn’t awarded the achievement; after some experimentation, I found that some characters had to be played twice to get it to work. I was briefly pleased with myself at having the patience to track such an issue down. Then I remembered one line in the required bug report:

“Reproducibility: X out of 10”

I shrugged, figuring there were worse ways to make a living. By the end of the process, I had gotten pretty good at the game - it now only took me 6 hours to reproduce! I finally got my 10 repetitions, wrote up the bug report, and went home for the day, looking forward to doing something (anything!) else the next day.

When I got in the next day, I was informed that we had a new build, and everyone needed to do regression testing on the issues they had previously found. Cue head-to-desk.

Geth on

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I enjoy this. The first two panels, didn't PA do a very similar joke? I can definitely see Tycho responding with, "I know because they make fucking video games."

Probably can't see him going into blowjobs to such degree, though. Maybe giraffe ones.

What is this I don't even.
  • jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever seen Trenches make such a crass joke, perhaps I don't remember since it's been too long, but no, it didn't need to do that to attempt to be funny, so won't be introducing this one to the kids at all.

Perhaps Trenches should avoid the gutter in the future.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Is the bad line work in panels 3 and 4 a style choice?

Finnish_Line on
  • Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    First time I actually laughed out loud because of a Trenches comic in a loooong time. Are we in a new golden age?

As to the tale: As bullshit as that achievement requirement is (Characters needed to be run though campaign twice...WTF?) shouldn't the tester have known he would have to check at least the next build the same way to see if it was fixed? Seems like a core part of the job.

• FizFiz Registered User regular
    Man, have I been there. Sometimes you are balls deep on a guy and you realize you aren't interested in their downloadable content.

juggcat.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    You had a joke, until the last two panels, where you decided to go with "hah, the implication that he is gay is humorous" and ya lost it. Please do better.

• PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    You had a joke, until the last two panels, where you decided to go with "hah, the implication that he is gay is humorous" and ya lost it. Please do better.

Ehh, I don't know if he is being derogatory about it.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Eh.. I see it more of a TMI situation with Isaac running his mouth. A bit more crude than some earlier strips but not too crazy. Still one of my favorites is this one

http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/decent-proposal

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • EphisusEphisus Registered User new member
    edited March 2015
    "You had a joke, until the last two panels, where you decided to go with "hah, the implication that he is gay is humorous" and ya lost it. Please do better."

Came to see if someone was huffing about this. And, hey, turns out political correctness is extremely predictable.

Ephisus on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Gamer8585 wrote: »
    First time I actually laughed out loud because of a Trenches comic in a loooong time. Are we in a new golden age?

As to the tale: As bullshit as that achievement requirement is (Characters needed to be run though campaign twice...WTF?) shouldn't the tester have known he would have to check at least the next build the same way to see if it was fixed? Seems like a core part of the job.

There is essentially no chance that a (probably low priority) bug filed at the end of the day will be fixed and into the next-day build. You test when the dev marks the bug as "fixed" not when you get a new build

Phyphor on
  • Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Gamer8585 wrote: »

There is essentially no chance that a (probably low priority) bug filed at the end of the day will be fixed and into the next-day build. You test when the dev marks the bug as "fixed" not when you get a new build

Usually, but IIRC with some builds the devs change so much they don't even bother to look at the bug reports beyond a few major issues that may cover a broad spectrum of problems. If more features are added or removed that could: cause the bugs to be fixed, undermine specific fixes, or cause extra problems. Hence the need to start the bug hunt from scratch every so often.

Sounds like this was likely the case. The build they got probably had some substantial differences, and they wanted QA to verify that everything was fixed. Otherwise management is just being sadistic.

Gamer8585 on
  • plki76plki76 Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    The fact that the tester spent at least 60 hours reproing this one bug seems incredibly inefficient. That's 1.5 weeks of work (assuming 40 hours). For 1.5 weeks I would expect an automated solution.

Just set all the "have you completed this game as character X" bits to 1 and see if the achievement pops. That's like 15 minutes with a memory editor. You'd still need to verify that completing the campaign appropriately flipped the right bit (since you mocked that out with the unit test), but the base functionality would be verified.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Ephisus wrote: »
    "You had a joke, until the last two panels, where you decided to go with "hah, the implication that he is gay is humorous" and ya lost it. Please do better."

Came to see if someone was huffing about this. And, hey, turns out political correctness is extremely predictable.
    Came to see if someone was huffing about this. And, hey, turns out people complaining about political correctness is extremely predictable.

• NullAshtonNullAshton Registered User new member

Agreed. This bothered me too. And the obligatory 'complaining about people complaining about this' is bothersome too.

Legitimate criticism: I can def. see the intent of this piece as Isaac running his mouth(as another poster suggested), and being homophobic. With Cora pointing out that character flaw. It reads like too much of the joke is on 'haha Capcom is gay' instead of 'haha Isaac is homophobic', however. Cora ends up setting up the joke, rather than calling out Isaac after he set up the joke.

I'd rather the takeaway from this be "oh so that's how to make more people get the joke next time". Just a thing that bothers me(and some other people), and having actionable criticism ignored because it's 'politically correct' is frustrating.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I think the intended joke is obviously supposed to be "Isaac has no filter and says inappropriate things at work that end up awkward and embarrassing for himself and others."

However, the crafting of the joke is sort of faulty. First of all, you can't really give a "blow job" under the usually understood definition to anyone but a guy, so Cora pointing out he said "guy" is almost superfluous.

Second, Isaac's blow job simile is so tenuously connected to the topic they were talking about that the whole thing seems forced - like making a comic with dialogue involving a blow job was clearly the goal from the start and it shows.

And when the character's name is Isaac Cox, using a joke like this at all seems sort of redundant, unless you try to tie the two together somehow - like, I don't know, have Cora say something like "A person named Isaac Cox should probably avoid using this type of metaphor."

Although it's been so long since the comic started when they made a point of making sure we were aware of his name, and the comic has changed creatives so many times since then, I guess it's possible Ty literally forgot about it...

Gaslight on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I think the intended joke is obviously supposed to be "Isaac has no filter and says inappropriate things at work that end up awkward and embarrassing for himself and others."

However, the crafting of the joke is sort of faulty. First of all, you can't really give a "blow job" under the usually understood definition to anyone but a guy, so Cora pointing out he said "guy" is almost superfluous.
    He never said he was giving a blowjob.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

He never said he was giving a blowjob.

Good point, I misread it. I stand by the rest of my post though.

• hateseededhateseeded Registered User regular
    #basicallyagayjoke

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpanzee.
  • PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    Is season 5 over now?

• EphisusEphisus Registered User new member
    Ephisus wrote: »

Came to see if someone was huffing about this. And, hey, turns out people complaining about political correctness is extremely predictable.

Political correctness is irritating because it's political correctness, not because it's predictable. I would like to live in a world where people were so vocal about their irritation with political correctness where ever it arose that it became predictable, but it baffles me that you suggest that this is that world.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Because it is.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We're not doing a meta discussion on political correctness.

YL9WnCY.png