As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] - Zero Escape: Phalla's Last Reward - Day 9 - The End

1131415161719»

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    oh goddammit, i had hopes that zhero was the secret mafia and I would be impressed.

I told you @gizzy and @zombiehero "jdark would do his ASSUMING CONTROL" ;-) (granted i said a lot )

• Options
    thanks for hosting Ardor, I can't imagine it was easy

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    My fault, village.

Thanks for hosting, ardor.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    God damnit

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I think the village did very well, honestly. I wasn't sure who was going to win when this day started.

I had the biggest trouble, when making the game, in figuring out a good number of days so the mafia don't simply lose to process of elimination, and how to manage clues so they were useful enough that folks would want to go after them. I think I could've done a lot better on the clues, but the timing seemed ok.

I think if you had that one extra weapon from the kitchen that nobody found, this would've been a village victory.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    ebum is a very good read of jdark also. so yeah if you aren't aware of that meta. I too thought his jump was suspect but as soon as jdark did his post (yep..).

edit: i should have told you specifically what I told jdark. But thought there was always the chance I was incorrect and didnt want to give ammo- same other way around.

what he claimed i said about ebum was a complete lie. granted not much to tell this other than my very brief comment "only way i can see ebum being mafia is if he is going for survival"

Egos on
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Not your fault

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Thanks for hosting, Ardor. I had a lot of fun with the day 0 puzzle, even if that was as far as my journey took me. :?

• Options
    hope you don't let it deter you from playing more, hedge . it sucks to get day 1'd :(

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    No worries, the day 1 death didn't bother me too much. (If anything, it was probably for the best -- I'm in the process of moving, and so I wouldn't have had enough time for the later parts of the game anyway.)

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Thanks for hosting, Ardor. I had a lot of fun with the day 0 puzzle, even if that was as far as my journey took me. :?

I wish they didn't kill you so early. While I'm not around much, I figured you might be a newer player and I hate seeing newer players die so quickly. You were killed because you told DasUberEdward you were looking for info on the initiates and I think that's why he killed you. I could be wrong though.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If no one's bothered to kill jdark, you probably just want to go ahead and kill him. Especially if he's being unusually unhelpful in thread.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Yeah, I suspected as much when I was offed. I don't play nearly enough to have honed my sense of how much info to give away in PMs.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I was so sure of my 1 mafia per starting room!

I'm glad jdark was mafia. Makes my death more meaningfull to me.

• Options
    If I had been holding the weapon instead of ZH it would have went down a little diff :p. my gut was jdark his gut was ebum

• Options
    edited March 2015
    i was hoping you were gonna pipe up :(

since we had all been "JDARK!!!!!!!" when preda came up

e:but yeah the ebum sudden jump to Justice evoked a O_O reaction in me also

Egos on
  • Options
    I was so sure of my 1 mafia per starting room!

I'm glad jdark was mafia. Makes my death more meaningfull to me.

I thought about doing this, but if that was found out, I feel like the mafia would've had an incredibly tough time actually winning. Since a single verified death could've cleared upwards of 25% of the players.

• Options
    So, running not-faction games is something I really don't do anymore. I also tried a lot of newer things. What worked? What failed? What was fun and what was considerably not fun?

I'll take notes so if I find time to run a game again, I'll have feedback!

• Options
    My only regret is that I failed Fort Awesome.

Thanks for hosting @Ardor it was super fun! All the little things we could do really made this a great phalla to me!

• Options
    His jump to justice actually made me pretty convinced he was village bc he was cutting himself off from communicating with other mafia if he were mafia

• Options
    If ebum had spoken his thoughts in front of me instead of taking ZH to private PM - ZH would have killed jdark. ZH thought that was shady and that's what led to the final choice

• Options
    That and having to be asked if he searched for a weapon instead of just coming out with it

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »
    So, running not-faction games is something I really don't do anymore. I also tried a lot of newer things. What worked? What failed? What was fun and what was considerably not fun?

I'll take notes so if I find time to run a game again, I'll have feedback!

Imo there needed to be a timer or some limit to puzzles so that more people could participate in them. Like one action an hour or something. Like Capfalcon solved our day pretty much all alone before I could even check the thread.

That's my only complaint.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    If ebum had spoken his thoughts in front of me instead of taking ZH to private PM - ZH would have killed jdark. ZH thought that was shady and that's what led to the final choice

Took it to PM because I was concerned Ardor would be adding people to the conversation if they joined us. Figured he would share with confirmed types.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Ahhh

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    ebum is a very good read of jdark also. so yeah if you aren't aware of that meta. I too thought his jump was suspect but as soon as jdark did his post (yep..).

edit: i should have told you specifically what I told jdark. But thought there was always the chance I was incorrect and didnt want to give ammo- same other way around.

what he claimed i said about ebum was a complete lie. granted not much to tell this other than my very brief comment "only way i can see ebum being mafia is if he is going for survival"
    It was actually really, really close to what you said via PM:
    Egos March 7
    anyway this post seems pertinent. I guess a question would be , would the mafia give a shit about the proposed method of handling things? if it was a weekday, I'd be more inclined to think they might- but weekends...so eh

Egos March 7
    if we believe it: MRT, Ebum, Cythraul, Premium or Dragon.

Main
    Enlightenedbum
    MrBlarney
    Capfalcon
    Cythraul
    MrTLicious
    Preda
    Sir Fabulous

Justice
    Bedlam
    DasUberEdward
    Gizzy
    JusticeforPluto
    Premium
    vertroue
    Zombie Hero

Records
    Kias
    CesareB
    JPants

Security
    Dragon6860
    Egos
    jdarksun
    Auralynx

So between Ebum or MrT- I would assume . As the others we can deduce who killed . IE. if one of us gets weapon killed- it has to be dragon (sorry dragon- note: i said "weapon killed"

This was a fun game. First time in a long time I made it to the end!

Also I won. :3

• Options
    edited March 2015
    yes and at the time I thought Mr.T had a chance of being evil..so yeah things changed quite a bit :P

I dont even know where that is from , is it the Records room day 1 with Jpants conversation..that you were just idling in mostly :) ?

Egos on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Awesome game Ardor! Sad I didn't live thru it, but glad I got half the mafia before my time was up!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It was like from a week or so ago. I worked really hard to appear sorta inactive then helpful despite being around every day for vote close and doing my best to coordinate the mafia into a brutal killing force.

Hell, I never even used my hatchet.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    This game was a little weird for me, since I lasted just barely long enough to help get the village network started (without fully being part of it) but not long enough to really get a handle on who the mafia were. I had a pretty good read on the mechanics though, so good for me :p

Seemed pretty decently balanced. The only thing that LOOKED particularly wonky was the Mail Room kill free day. In a game that the mafia could win just by surviving a certain amount of time it's a little misleading to the village to have a day without a vig.

Just as an aside, I don't really like the idea of adding chance to a phalla when it isn't necessary. Like saying "the village had double the chance of finding weapons" to me is worse design than just designating ahead of time how many weapons are available for the village and how many for the mafia, assuming they choose to search those rooms. You can give the appearance of random chance by distributing the weapons a certain way and through lack of complete information, but still strictly control who controls how many kills at any particular time.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I wish they didn't kill you so early. While I'm not around much, I figured you might be a newer player and I hate seeing newer players die so quickly. You were killed because you told DasUberEdward you were looking for info on the initiates and I think that's why he killed you. I could be wrong though.

Yup that's what it was. I figured the best plan at that point was to kill you so that way you couldn't tell the thread what you found while I made it look like I was also searching for information on the mafia. Because hey the mafia wouldn't give up info on themselves that early right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So who won? Was it Team Justice?

Also, looks like I was surprisingly wrong about the mafia having a day 1 presence in the Justice Room. Oh well!
    (I still stand by the Day 1 killing of someone in the Justice room. No point killing someone who you haven't had any opportunity to observe.)

discrider on
  • Options
    CesareB wrote: »
    This game was a little weird for me, since I lasted just barely long enough to help get the village network started (without fully being part of it) but not long enough to really get a handle on who the mafia were. I had a pretty good read on the mechanics though, so good for me :p

Seemed pretty decently balanced. The only thing that LOOKED particularly wonky was the Mail Room kill free day. In a game that the mafia could win just by surviving a certain amount of time it's a little misleading to the village to have a day without a vig.

Just as an aside, I don't really like the idea of adding chance to a phalla when it isn't necessary. Like saying "the village had double the chance of finding weapons" to me is worse design than just designating ahead of time how many weapons are available for the village and how many for the mafia, assuming they choose to search those rooms. You can give the appearance of random chance by distributing the weapons a certain way and through lack of complete information, but still strictly control who controls how many kills at any particular time.

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with trying not to use rng as much as possible. I might not have been clear on number of weapons. There were 4, one in each of 4 rooms. As long as someone searched, it would be found. The rng aspect was who would find it.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    My only regret is that I failed Fort Awesome.
    Nah man you did good.

We're up making forts in Heaven now. We use clouds as pillows and rainbows as blankets and we had to rename it "The Fort" because everything is awesome.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »

Took it to PM because I was concerned Ardor would be adding people to the conversation if they joined us. Figured he would share with confirmed types.

Yeah, had you put it out there for everyone, and I'd seen it, I might've come around as well. Unfortunately, things are busy lately in my corner of the world and I really didn't give this game the effort it deserved.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Had a lot of fun with this! I had the luxury of time early on so figured I would try to be more helpful than usual and probably get knocked off for it, except that I somehow lived forever and all of the sudden I was confirmed with no time to phalla! I even had a plan to coup the security room from Preda, but I just didn't pull it off and got stabbed!

Still, the small room mechanics does do a good job of getting people talking. Its easy to lay low when its all town square stuff, but when its just you and a few others, it makes soft networking really easy. I wouldn't mind seeing more stuff like that, though I would prefer if mafia wasn't just a survival goal. They should have to kill for their win too!

steam_sig.png