As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superhero Thread - New Avengers Trailer is Out, Shit Looks Dope [Superheroes]

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Holy shit that's terrible writing

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Furu wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    why is absorbing man the go-to for being the misogynist guy he's literally married to a murderous feminist
    I mean she knocks him out like immediately after that rant and then lets Thor knock her out as a freebie because she respects what Thor is trying to prove

but why would he be making that rant to begin with

I'm all behind a misogynist asshole villain but c'mon there's got to be a better choice

It's like the issue of Loki where the All-Mother tells Loki not to use words that have been created to demean and harm women, because really, What the fuck are you doing, Loki? Which is a good thing to do! Fighting against anti-feminist language is important, and what words you choose to use matter. Especially for writers.

The problem being, the word Loki used was witch, and so it just made the All-Mother look like she was saving that little rant to bust out at some point and is extremely proud of herself for it.

1)Loki is kind of a witch himself (with 1a being that Loki has also been a woman)

2)Men have been convicted and executed for witchcraft (leading to...)

3) Witch was mostly used to target the poor and minorities(especially well off minorities), so yes, it has been used to harm women (especially women who could do sinful things like read!), but it was not "created" for that.

Really, if you want to seem feminist in your writing write feminist books well. Now, as I said, fighting against anti-feminist language is important, but it kinda needs to fit, otherwise it looks like your characters are not talking to each other, but at the reader.

Of course, we know what word All-Mother meant and yes, that word is anti-feminist (and I wouldn't even complain about "creation" etc) so All-Mother should reprimand him for it. But Bitch and Witch are not the same word.

Fencingsax on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Given that Titania is primarily a She-Hulk villain, yeah those scans were very odd.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    why is absorbing man the go-to for being the misogynist guy he's literally married to a murderous feminist
    I mean she knocks him out like immediately after that rant and then lets Thor knock her out as a freebie because she respects what Thor is trying to prove

but why would he be making that rant to begin with

I'm all behind a misogynist asshole villain but c'mon there's got to be a better choice

It's like the issue of Loki where the All-Mother tells Loki not to use words that have been created to demean and harm women, because really, What the fuck are you doing, Loki? Which is a good thing to do! Fighting against anti-feminist language is important, and what words you choose to use matter. Especially for writers.

The problem being, the word Loki used was witch, and so it just made the All-Mother look like she was saving that little rant to bust out at some point and is extremely proud of herself for it.

1)Loki is kind of a witch himself (with 1a being that Loki has also been a woman)

2)Men have been convicted and executed for witchcraft (leading to...)

3) Witch was mostly used to target the poor and minorities(especially well off minorities), so yes, it has been used to harm women (especially women who could do sinful things like read!), but it was not "created" for that.

Really, if you want to seem feminist in your writing write feminist books well. Now, as I said, fighting against anti-feminist language is important, but it kinda needs to fit, otherwise it looks like your characters are not talking to each other, but at the reader.

Of course, we know what word All-Mother meant and yes, that word is anti-feminist (and I wouldn't even complain about "creation" etc) so All-Mother should reprimand him for it. But Bitch and Witch are not the same word.

except he also called Hela a "slattern", which was also part of the All-Mother's criticism

I know you really want to criticize that scene, but maybe try to criticize the actual scene, instead of your own version of it

I mean, the rest of your points are really reaching as well, when they're not outright inaccurate (Loki at this point is a recently reincarnated child, and had not at any point in his short life been a woman), and ultimately, a single mother telling her son to use more respectful language is not really that crazy?

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    The Untitled CW Team-Up show got a few more details dropped:
    It was being described as a love letter to team/ensemble films like The Magnificent Seven or Ocean's 11 as opposed to "lone gunman" type stories like Arrow and Flash.
    The team will be disparate and not super similar to each other, with a really rag tag vibe.
    The primary villain will be a major DC villain the neither Flash nor Arrow have utilized.
    The three new heroes were chosen for their popularity and people will be "very excited" when the identity of the female hero is revealed.

Sounds a lot more like a proper Justice League/Society show instead of an anthology series like some predicted

So I'm guessing (Arrow Spoilers)
    Sara gets Lazarus Pit'd

I wonder if they would
    have Sara show up and not remember/know how she was brought back to life.

It would add an over-arching mystery to the season, similar to Coulson's resurrection.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Neat thing from the last avengers trailer I never got around to talking about - when Ultron's talking to Wanda and Pietro in those ruins, he's all shrouded in a big red cloak, which seems like a reference to the fact that his first few appearances in comics were as the mysterious new villain, the Crimson Cowl.
    Crimson_Cowl.jpg
    I mean he's got a shiny robot arm sticking out of the cloak so it's obv. not much of a disguise, I just thought it was cute.

since he was on a throne I figured it was a reference to Conquest

ultron.jpg

ultron2.jpg

though I guess that's probably a reference to Crimson Cowl in turn

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    The Untitled CW Team-Up show got a few more details dropped:
    It was being described as a love letter to team/ensemble films like The Magnificent Seven or Ocean's 11 as opposed to "lone gunman" type stories like Arrow and Flash.
    The team will be disparate and not super similar to each other, with a really rag tag vibe.
    The primary villain will be a major DC villain the neither Flash nor Arrow have utilized.
    The three new heroes were chosen for their popularity and people will be "very excited" when the identity of the female hero is revealed.

Sounds a lot more like a proper Justice League/Society show instead of an anthology series like some predicted

So I'm guessing (Arrow Spoilers)
    Sara gets Lazarus Pit'd

I wonder if they would
    have Sara show up and not remember/know how she was brought back to life.

It would add an over-arching mystery to the season, similar to Coulson's resurrection.

Maybe
    Ra's already stole/resurrected Sara and will use her as a bargain/leverage to get Oliver to take his mantle

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Marvel Solicits are out, no surprise announcements. The shift-over to primarily Battleworld series happens, as the only regular ongoings in June without any Secret Wars branding are:
    Howard the Duck
    Spider-Gwen
    Spider-Woman
    The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
    Deathlok
    SHIELD
    Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier
    Moon Knight
    Silk
    All-New Hawkeye
    Groot
    Guardians Team-Up

CYpGAPn.png
    Also
    1872-1-B-SW-51bf6.jpg
    Yessssssssssssssss

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    SECRET WARS JOURNAL #2 (OF 5)
    KEVIN MAURER and SI SPURRIER (w)
    CORY SMITH and JONATHAN MARKS (a)
    Cover by SANFORD GREENE
    • It’s Kraven’s Last Hunt in KILLVILLE…and Detectives Misty Knight and Paladin are the hunted!
    • Lord Sinister’s secret weapon is his top shelf chef, MATT MURDOCK! But what happens when Sinister comes between Murdock and his love, rare food scout COLLEKTRA?

Goddamn, Spurrier

I assume he's writing the second story

SCWARS2015004-AlexRoss-80f71.jpg
    Hrm

Hrrrrrrmmmmm

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    SW-BATTLEWORLD-2-VAR-f3dc4.jpg

Ant-Man appears to be taking a month off which kind of sucks

Hopefully it isn't gone long, I know they've said some series will take a short hiatus during Secret Wars but anything longer than a month or two would be really dumb if there's no equivalent Battleworld title by the same writer to fill the gap

CYpGAPn.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    SW-BATTLEWORLD-2-VAR-f3dc4.jpg
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH AHAHHHHA AAHHHHH

AHHHHHHHH

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    On the bright side, Squirrel Girl's solicit says it's the start of a new arc and it's not a Last Days thing either

Dominic Purcell (Heat Wave) has joined the cast of the Arrow/Flash spin-off

CYpGAPn.png
    blank please spoiler shock images in the future

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I didn't even post that you big babyman

CYpGAPn.png
    Embrace the Stokoe

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    is that galactus hulk or something?

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    is that galactus hulk or something?

Probably Giant Man Hulk.

Hulk Pym.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

Apparently Jason Momoa's FUCK MARVEL signature came from when a fan asked him "Why DC Haters should join our DC universe?"

Which

Dang man that's not a good reason

CYpGAPn.png
    I didn't even post that you big babyman

AND SOMEHOW ITS STILL YOUR FAULT

Apparently Jason Momoa's FUCK MARVEL signature came from when a fan asked him "Why DC Haters should join our DC universe?"

Which

Dang man that's not a good reason

DC's just loudly shouting about how their movies are edgier than Marvel's

Meanwhile, Marvel doesn't need to say anything at all

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I figured that was Godzilla Hulk.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hulk Fang Foom

Arrow's EP confirmed that
    The Lazarus Pit will be making an appearance, and that they feel magic and the supernatural fit Arrow a bit more naturally than superpowers ala The Flash.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The Lazarus Pit will be making an appearance, and that they feel magic and the supernatural fit Arrow a bit more naturally than superpowers ala The Flash.
    They've already teased Blue Devil before! Bring on Shadowpact

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

Whoa what? When was this?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

Whoa what? When was this?

They've included movie posters as little easter eggs here and there. I think there was one on the bus in whichever episode The Arrow pulls his bike in front of the bus to stop it getting hit by a train

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Jason Momoa should probably successfully star in a single movie before he throws shit at the most successful movie franchise ever.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Listen guys, Jason Momoa was in most of a single season of Game of Thrones

He's pretty much invincible

6F32U1X.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think Marvel will survive the insult.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »
    I think Marvel will survive the insult.

That's not really

Nevermind

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Listen guys, Jason Momoa was in most of a single season of Game of Thrones

He's pretty much invincible

And several seasons of Stargate Atlantis!

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh dagnabbit
    ANT-MAN/GIANT-MAN EPIC COLLECTION: THE MAN IN THE ANT HILL TPB
    Collecting the Ant-Man, Giant-Man and Wasp material from TALES TO ASTONISH (1959) #27 and #35-59.
    448 PGS./All Ages …$34.99

Figures that gets solicited AFTER I grab a used copy of the B&W essential. :razz:

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    ugh

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.