As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superhero Thread - New Avengers Trailer is Out, Shit Looks Dope [Superheroes]

19495969798100»

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    From

oh god, I'm gonna die

to

oh, you fucking asshole

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Not to prolong the topic - but as some of you might remember, I was going back and revisiting the stuff I missed not having a comic shop available to me in my youth. Someone recommended I check out this DC free comic on comixology that was kind of a "best of" list for many DC characters, Batman included. Of course, The Killing Joke was on there and I borrowed and read it just about two weeks ago - not knowing what to expect in anyway.

I can't fathom why people think it's a good story - or why they would want to be inspired by it for a cover. It made me completely uncomfortable, much in the same way that watching an old movie that is completely sexist or racist feels. The level of violence was shocking and not something I would normally enjoy reading, but the stripping down of her to photograph for her father was just well beyond any semblance of necessary and was just way out of my comfort zone.

It amazes me that this book is held lofty as a pinnacle of Batman and that anyone would want to make a cover to commemorate it.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    the killing joke is good, is why.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alan Moore is the sacred cow of the comics industry.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Younger Alan Moore you mean. The industry seems perfectly willing to write him off in his old, anti-establishment age.

like, the story's take on the joker was fresh at the time and really good, the theme of what joker is trying to do and prove ties into that background really well and is narratively compelling, and the thematic contrast between Joker and Batman is also really good. The final scene with Batman reacting to Joker by chuckling is haunting and the question of what Batman is doing in that panel is well executed.

it's a good one shot.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It's a great Batman and Joker story, it is a terrible Batgirl story.

Gvzbgul on
    yeah I mean, it's never supposed to be a batgirl story. batgirl is a character in the story.

This discussion has been closed.