As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

1363738394042»

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    New Mog Bonanza Dec 19 - Jan 23. Some nice rewards in this one.

Repeat Login Campaign #6 Dec 10 - Jan 2. This one looks to have all of the past major rewards including the Chocobo suit/mask, Bomb mask, and Alliance gear. There's also a new Zeid summon that works with something called "Trust" which is coming in the Dec update, but it doesn't say how it's used, so....:rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Starlight Celebration starts next Tuesday, goes until Dec 31. As far as I can tell it doesn't have any new rewards this year.

Also a reminder that the Return to Vana'diel Campaign is currently going. 2 mules are randomly enabled in my account, so it appears that you can play for free, as it said, if you have an account in good standing.

Also also, the 6th Login Campaign starts tomorrow. There's also maintenance tomorrow that will bring the Dec update, which sounds like it has some rad stuff. I'll post notes when they're actually updated.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So the Trust system? Interesting stuff. Pretty potent for solo play, and combined with records of eminence and fov/gov books can let a solo player level significantly faster.

Also home point to home point teleportation is such a time saver.

Repeat Login Campaign #7 Friday, January 10, 2014 at 7:00 a.m. (PST)
    to Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 6:00 a.m.

Notables in this one is Lion as a summonable ally via Trust, an item that lets you get a 'free' bag upgrade from the goblins (still have to be able to get the quest, thus have the rep, and just replaces the usual 4 items, so use it on the higher level pricey ones).

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    I started playing again. Got sam and nin to 99. Working on thief since I am trying to get drops for the inital masamune and treasure hunter seems like it would help with that and the future drops for it..

Repeat Login Campaign 8 is starting on Monday.

'special' reward is another trust (which are pretty rad by the way).

Next patch is also making some changes, most notably (to me):
    The amount of experience lost due to being knocked out will be reduced to one-fourth of the current value.
    Bazaar taxes will be abolished in all areas.
    Listing fees for items on the Auction House will be lowered.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I got back into this game yesterday to try out the trust system. Went to boyahda tree to try out some GoV and my new trust spells and they work really well! A named monster wiped me once because I was dumb, but we killed it and an elemental later. Finally, my summoner is not a pain in the butt to level solo. Was also really nice to have a full party to use summon buffs on. Was using Ramuh to buff party with enthunder and then tear through crabs. Pretty cool!

For the record, being able to take trusts into Beyond Infinity greatly trivializes the last limit break, which was a huge help to me. 5 rarab tails, 1 wrong trust member and 2 stupid mistakes and I still managed to beat it just under the wire as summoner (thank you predator claws). Great to finally have that done.

edited February 2014
    In their continuing effort to make people who were predicting XI would be shut down anytime in the ever, feel even more dumb:
    Prepare your planchettes, for the next version update is see to descend upon Vana'diel in mid-March!

Hot on the heels of the skull-cracking skirmishes of February come new Delve content, the long-awaited Cait Sith avatar, more relic reforging, and Campaign adjustments. If you enjoy more esoteric adventures, whet your appetites with new alter egos and ways to enjoy current ones, a command to lock your appearance even after changing equipment, changes to the fishing system, and new Records of Eminence objectives!

We'll be revealing more in the days and weeks ahead, so stay tuned for more information!

bold/underline mine. So awesome.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2014
    Repeat Login Campaign 9 starts tomorrow.

Another new Trust and a return of Zeid if you missed that one.

Some pre-patch information if you are bored. The March update is scheduled for the 18th and has the previously mentioned Cait Sith summon, appearance 'snapshotting', among other changes and additions.

Good stuff good stuff.

I completed the Creed +2 set last night for shits. It's way outdated at this point with Seekers starting gear being substantially better (not that I have any of that...), but good lord does the Creed gear look badass as shit. I'll be using it for the 'snapshot' stuff for sure.

EDIT: Here's some more information on the gear snapshotting if you're interested. It's not like a full on skinning/transmog/vanity system like other MMO's (though I have hopes it'll expand to that eventually) but it's something you can use temporarily, like if you're going to be farming in a specific zone for awhile, for fun.

EDIT2: It only took a decade for something that should have been there since day one but still, <3
    Add UI element to check the bid history when putting items up on the auction house

The Dude With Herpes on

11th Anniversary Campaign

Basically double xp for the next week. Usual rules, not Abyssea.

It also has some other things; double Monstrosity xp, free cruor, higher seal drop rate, and etc.

That auction history addition is huge. Love it.

The DQX and FFXIV crossover events are returning.

The DQX one has additional rewards, but as far as I can tell the XIV one is the same.

Thank god, I missed it last time and was super pissed.

Fishing is being revamped in the update on Tuesday. I've actually never fished in XI so I don't have a clue what it entails, but just throwing it out there.

Spring Alter Ego Extravaganza will start on April 1st. It'll have the 4 from the New Years one, and 3 more, including 2 pup pets and a chocobo chick :lol: I hope they're not april fools jokes because that's awesome.
    The Spring Alter Ego Extravaganza will commence on April 1, bringing along with it three new alter egos to add to your arsenal!

Vana'diel's most prestigious chocobo chick, Sakura!
    The Red Menace, Ovjang!
    The Reticent Protector, Mnejing!

For those of you who may have missed them during the New Year's Alter Ego Extravaganza, we are also bringing back some more of our beloved characters as well!

From the Far East, the enigmatic Tenzen!
    The Springserpent General herself, Mihli Aliapoh!
    Valaineral R Davilles, master of the Uriel Blade!
    Coming to you straight from Abyssea, Joachim!

Campaign Period: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, April 30 at the same hour.

Further information on available alter egos and methods of acquiring them will become available on this site when the campaign officially gets underway.

edited April 2014
    Spring Alter Ego is going on now. The three new minions are fairly easy to get. The chocobo chick is only 300 FoV tabs; it doesn't fight but if it's out it increases your skill gain rate. They even put in the note that it increases everyone around you's skill gain rate, confirming (again) that they plan on making Trusts work in parties of PC's, as they've been saying.

The other two are from Assault, 3k points each.

Repeat Login Campaign 10 starts thursday. As is the standard now, a new Trust spell and uh...worm fists?
    ss27.png

That's actually a pretty cool on-use assuming it can sometimes spit out Zinc.

And if anyone cares, the redux of the crossover campaigns (from FFXIV and DQX) will be extended an indeterminate amount of time due to yesterdays patch removing the NPC's and forcing a emergency patch today, so if you're still looking for some slimes or spriggans, they'll be there past the scheduled end time (which was tomorrow morning).

In other news, the hives of Bees of Wojam link and it's hilarious watching a dozen bees try to kill an effectively invincible 99PLD. :lol:

EDIT: also, not really related, being able to see the Auction history when you post something is absurdly awesome. I don't know why, it's flat standard in every single other MMO but it probably because of the last decade of having to have FFXIAH open on my laptop makes it all the sweeter.

The Dude With Herpes on

Things!

Repeat Login Campaign 11 is going on right now.. Unique rewards are a worm hat and a new Trust.
    Campaign Period: Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 8:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, June 2 at 7:00 a.m.

Duodecentennial Anniversary Adventurers Appreciation Campaign is going on right now There's a new double XP ring for leveling and one for level 99 Job points.
    There's also a tied in (to the anniversary) event going on where Moogles battle Goblins, and it appears that you can get Moogle and Goblin outfits? I'm not entirely sure, neither ffxiclopedia or bluegartr have guides up yet.
    Campaign Period: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, June 2 at 7:00 a.m.

And finally the 12th Anniversary Mog Bonanza is going on right now. Same rules and stuff as usual; 10 marbles per character, only buyable on characters more than 30 days old etc etc.
    Price: 2,000 gil per marble.
    Marble sales period: Friday, May 16, 2016 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at the same hour.
    Winning numbers announced: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 1:00 a.m.
    Collection period: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 1:00 a.m. to Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the same hour.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I haven't played for years, but I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to try reactivating my old account, maybe wander around into some of the more visually interesting areas of the game to use as inspiration for landscape paintings.

Holy crap, the level of documentation these people want is unreal! I'm sorry, Square-Enix, I do not remember the land-line phone number of the college apartment I had when I registered in 2003. I guess Melchior the Hume Black Mage and occasional Dragoon can stay locked in the the vaults of Siren Server forever...

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Double Capacity Points June 11-15th; double seal/crest drops and skirmish/reive drops 11-22nd.

12th Login Campaign June 10th - July 2nd. Another new Trust and Worm Feelers are back. Nothing else of particular note except you can buy any of the Testimonies for 200 points if you don't want to farm them and are working on Maats Cap for shits.

And some neat QOL changes that include finally showing party TP.

edited June 2014
    Woah, uh looks like they're completely overhauling the Weaponskill system and thus TP.

From a quick glance it looks like the vast majority of weaponskills will move to be entirely TP based and not stat based...which unless I'm totally misunderstanding things would substantially alter the way gear swapping works (i.e. making it almost unnecessary).

Huh.

EDIT: Oh, nope, still keeping stat modifiers, I totally read that wrong. Just rebalancing across the board and changing the way TP works with gains and stats and bonuses, etc. Should be interesting to see how that pans out.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2014
    Summer Alter Ego Extravaganza June 30th - July 31st. Four limited time Trusts and a return of the New Years trusts.

Celestial Nights June 23rd - July 8th. The only new reward this year is a new firework.

Double XP weekend this weekend, June 26th 11pm PDT - June 29th 11pm PDT.

June update was last week. Plenty of changes, overhaul of the TP system and the beginnings of a Synthesis system overhaul that will continue in the July update (scheduled for early July).

EDIT: Also it's 33% off on Steam for the summer sale. I don't know if it will get a bigger discount; but just tossing it out there for the random person who might have been interested in it but failed to pick it up in the last 12 years. Or people who want an all-in-one easy way to install the game.

The Dude With Herpes on

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    It's currently a whole $10.49 on Amazon.

I only mention this because I was somehow talked into picking it up again. I doubt I'll get any serious playtime out of it but I figure for $10 I can at least poke around on it for a bit.

Do you like Equipment Sets from FFXIV (and other MMO's) well FFXI has got you covered. Should be in the August update.

Also the yearly Murmor event is starting in a few days. There's an Alter Ego of Murmur this year; her side kick will be in the Aug repeat login campaign.

Lots of stuff!

FFXIV and DQX Crossovers returning. It looks like there's a new color for the DQX stuff, but the XIV thing looks identical, we'll see when it goes live though.
    Event Period: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. to Thursday, October 2 at 7:00 a.m.

A new event: The Idyllic Vana'diel Initiative. This actually consists of a lot of sub campaigns, each with slightly different dates, but they all start on Sept 10.
    Receive Your Very Own Mog Pell (Green) (turnin for various sparks and login campaign items)
    Period of Eligibility: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, September 17 at 7:59 a.m.
    Double Experience Point Campaign (usual restrictions apply, i.e. no Abyssea and only doubles xp from kills)
    Campaign Period: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, September 17 at 7:59 a.m.
    Return of the Anniversary MMO Collaboration Event (already mentioned above)
    Event Period: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT) to Thursday, October 2 at 7:00 a.m.
    Wildskeeper Reive Campaign
    Campaign Period: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, September 17 at 7:59 a.m.
    Campaign Festa
    Festa Period: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, September 24 at 11:00 p.m.
    Abyssea and Atma Axtravaganza
    Alter Ego Extravaganza Unlimited (Looks like all of the Extravaganza Trusts will be available)

A new Adventurers Appreciation Campaign. Gives you a turnin item for various things including items to upgrade SoA equipment and past Repeat Login Trusts.
    Characters active on a PlayOnline/FINAL FANTASY XI subscription via a SQUARE ENIX account active for at least one day during the period of Tuesday, July 1, 2014, to Sunday, August 31, 2014, are eligible.

* This campaign applies to those who have paid usage fees in the above period and who have active accounts. (The fee-free period is not counted.)
    * This campaign also does not apply to those taking advantage of the free trial.

Return Home and Discount Campaigns. Free login for anyone with an inactive, but not banned FFXI account for the Return Home dates and the Discount Campaign is just a way cheaper game and half off character transfers.
    Return Home:
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, September 17 at 7:59 a.m.
    Discount Campaign:
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. to Tuesday, September 23 at 7:59 a.m.

Prices for those wondering:
    "Seekers of Adoulin" Expansion Pack
    Digital Download
    $29.99 -> $4.99
    * 83% off the ordinary retail price

FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition
    Digital Download
    $39.99 -> $9.99
    *75% off the ordinary retail price

World Transfer Service
    $18.00 -> $9.00
    * 50% off the ordinary price

They're doing another block of events very much like the ones they did in Sept in my previous post.

Basically change the month to November and you have the same set of events, same discount prices etc.

Except the DQX and XIV crossovers aren't happening (at least that they've announced).

It lives!

So uh....

No hints as to what it could be.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was either another expansion announcement, or a ceasing of content updates. It really could go either way.

AFAIK the game is still pulling pretty stable numbers, but given how successful XIV has been it's entirely possible SE could feel like it's time to move on and put development focus elsewhere.

So who even knows.

My dream? A complete graphical overhaul for PC and PS4. Not gonna happen, but I'm just sayin. :P

So the announcement was a few things!

FFXI for PS2 and 360 will end March 2016.

PC support will continue indefinitely.

There'll be three new scenarios prior to the PS2/360 ending, along with some other events to celebrate both 13 years and have the console versions go out with a bang.

A mobile version of FFXI will be launched around the same time as the PS2/360 versions are being shut down.

And there'll be a mobile spin-off called Final Fantasy Grandmasters. No clue how how, or if, it will interact with the main game, but still neat?

It'll be interesting to see what changes they have to make to the game for it to work on phones, as anyone who's played XI knows that the UI is rather...obtuse; even with all the improvements over the years.

And what of those changes of accessibility will translate to the PC version. I mean, just a guess on my part but particularly with Windows 10, and the prevalance of ultrabooks/tablets/combination devices, the "PC" version could also just as easily be played in the same manner as the mobile.

Plus, without the PS2/360 limitations they can completely overhaul the UI (they have/had been working on this already, for a year or two now) for the game without worrying about parity between consoles. And, without having to meet the PS2's (and to a lesser degree 360's) crazy crazy ancient memory requirements and all around limitations, there's a possiblity the PC version could actually be updated and enhanced in a lot of ways, both visually and otherwise.

It'll be interesting. And pretty cool. I'm glad they're not abandoning the game, I was a bit worried. If anything they're doubling down and giving themselves space to grow by cutting off some of the old limitations.

And if you're thinking "Ugh, mobile", understand that PS2 was still where the largest portion of Japanese players played the game (at least afaik, I know that was true even till a few years ago; I remember it being said when SoA launched without PS2 support in the US/EU), so they virtually had to release a mobile version in order to keep a large number of players in Japan.

Crazy times for FFXI.

More info; major content updates will end this November with the conclusion of the new scenario storyline. :( I guess that probably means the PC version likely won't be getting any meaningful updates past that...but who knows; again if they're making some changes to the game to have it work on mobile, I'd be really surprised if some of those changes didn't make it to the PC version.

Grandmasters (the spinoff) is currently Japan only I guess? I've seen several sites say otherwise, but the official XI site is saying this so...

Anyway, the letter from Matsui

And the 'recap' of the live stream.

• VargVarg Registered User regular
    I haven't played in years but I still read the patch notes every update. . . Stayed up last night just to see what was going on cause so many good memories (and a few bitter ones but mostly good!)

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Bump. So this game's still around. It has new story content! (new story stuff started earlier this year and has been updating every month or 2).

If you're looking to check it out, the game's till fun. I've been playing it since April, and been enjoying myself quite a bit, so long as you can deal with some old fashionness.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2020
    This takes me back...

Edit: If someone wants to make a new thread detailing the things that have happened in the last five years, please do.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I don't have it in me to make a full OP or monitor a thread, but:

QUICK LIST OF THINGS THAT MATTER IN THIS GAME NOW OR THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

1. There's a "Trust" system where you can summon NPCs that you unlock as you play that basically fill in as party members. This enables you to solo all sorts of stuff.
    2. There are campaigns every month that encourage people to do particular content which usually increases the rewards significantly
    3. As you complete the Rhapsodies Storyline you will start gaining significantly increased experience points. You can level to 99 from 1 in a couple hours or less once you do that and do the quests to raise the level cap.
    4. There's some solid end game shit to do if you like that type of thing, and there's still a LOT of it.
    5. Every job can do stuff nowdays. The most maligned job is basically nin because at high end levels its tanking isn't great and its damage isn't fantastic. It's still fine. You can still make it work just fine.
    6. Sound track's still great.
    7. If you hunt around for add-ons and mods and stuff you can make the game way prettier and more accessible. There's some stuff that makes your macros and abilities appear on a hot bar like you were playing FF14.

Game's still fun and gets monthly updates.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius