As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - Broken News

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Broken News

Broken News
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/broken-news

It Only Took Nine Years

Anonymous

It was 2003, I was fresh out of college, and thought I would like to get into the video game industry as a developer.  I figured I’d get in on what I assumed was the ground floor: I would start as a tester and work my way through the ranks to become a coder.

I was so excited when I received word that I would be interviewed for a testing position with a very well known game company.  I wanted to make a good impression on the interviewer, so I wore a suit and tie. It was a group interview where all of the applicants were asked questions to make sure we knew what video games were and that we had the mental and physical capabilities to push a series of buttons.  It was embarrassing to be the only one in the room dressed up (even the interviewer was dressed casually).

Well, I got the job (surprise, surprise), then I discovered that I had a scheduling conflict and couldn’t start when they wanted me to start.  I figured that this job was down the tubes as a result, but they hastily added me to the midnight shift for a project that was in the middle of development and nearing completion.  I happily accepted and was told that I would get my name added to the credits for the game, and I would get a free copy.

A few days in, I was told that the end credits text was locked and I wouldn’t be added.  I didn’t care!  I was in the industry!  A few days later, I was told that I wouldn’t get my free copy because I started so late.  I didn’t care!  I was in the industry!  Two and a half weeks after I started, the midnight shift was told that, since the game was so near completion, midnight testing was going to be cut and we didn’t need to come back.

I wasn’t in the industry.

Shortly after that, I got a job doing I.T. work for a company that is nowhere near the video game industry and I have been very happy ever since.  However, last year my brother got a job at that same video game company, and one of the first things he got for me from his new job was a copy of the game that I tested.

It only took nine years.

Geth on

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Interesting art on this one; Cora gets painted into the background after panel one, allowing Isaac and Marley to get closer without the panel getting confusing.

I'm always mishearing people and repeating back to them what I thought they said. They often go "why would I say [misheard word]? That makes no sense," and I reply "I know! That's why I asked!"

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    "Why could we possibly have to say about Cat Cum?" doesn't even make sense.

EDITED.

Finnish_Line on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Get this comic an editor, stat! Quick, we're losing it!

forty on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Next strip Isaac farts too hard and shits his pants.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    "Why could we possibly have to say about Cat Cum?" ...What?

Also the math in the story seems off. Either the story teller has trouble with subtraction, or this story was submitted back in 2013, and they have held onto it since then.

• Options
    RedCrow7RedCrow7 Registered User regular
  • Options
    rpricerprice Registered User new member
    "Why could we possibly have to say about Cat Cum?" doesn't even make sense.

EDITED.

Neither does "on it's own".

http://how-to-spell-its.com

• Options
    marsilies wrote: »
    Interesting art on this one; Cora gets painted into the background after panel one, allowing Isaac and Marley to get closer without the panel getting confusing.

I'm always mishearing people and repeating back to them what I thought they said. They often go "why would I say [misheard word]? That makes no sense," and I reply "I know! That's why I asked!"
    I can't remember; did Cora always have one massive boob/gut thing on her chest?

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Hey, I just noticed that you can sorta see the sketch on Isaac in the last two panels.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    ITS

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    BahamutEos wrote: »
    Also the math in the story seems off. Either the story teller has trouble with subtraction, or this story was submitted back in 2013, and they have held onto it since then.
    There's been conjecture that they have a massive back-log of tales to pull from. There have been hints in the past that certain tales were submitted months to years prior to their posting.

• Options
    PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    Well, so far a gay joke and now cum jokes.....Whats the over under for a rape joke?

• Options
    GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    forty wrote: »
    I can't remember; did Cora always have one massive boob/gut thing on her chest?

That's exactly what I was going to comment on. Seriously, that's one of the worst (not to mention offensive, IMO) drawings ever. It's like the artist went stupid and said, "I know, let's giver massive, massive boobs once we get back from this extended break of drawing these comics. Like, so massive, they're literally the size of watermelons by scale and go down to her belly button."

If we look at older comics, she's actually drawn realistically:
    http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/the-needs-of-the-many
    http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/truthspeaker

Even shortly before the break, it's at least realistic:
    http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/silver-lining
    http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/hindsight-vision

Ginormous on
  • Options
    One day later, none of the glaring errors are fixed.

An unfunny joke is one thing, but also telling it wrong? So much worse.

• Options
    Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    It's one thing to get a beloved comic back after a long hiatus, it's quite another for whomever is writing and drawing now to give a big middle finger to the audience by spewing forth horrible writing and art. I guess they figure if they make it terrible enough, it will loose it's audience and they won't have to do it anymore?

RedCrow's comic perfectly sums up my feelings. If this is how your'e gonna play it... than we didn't want it back...

• Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    The boob thing is a style choice, everyone kind of looks impressionist now. Think Picasso. ...Please note I'm not saying I like it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Isaac's head is the exact same shape and size as Cora's boobs. Mek u think.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I checked the About the Artist page, and it says this:

"Ty Halley is a ghost with an extensive resume in convincing mortals he is alive. He runs his own webcomic, Journal Comic, was a contestant on PA's Strip Search, and does a secret third thing that if you knew would give you power over him. If you want to contact Ty for flash animations or writing, be sure to include pictures of burning sage so it'll go through his ghost-spam filters.

You might know her from the Penny Arcade webseries "Strip Search" or perhaps from her webcomic "Phuzzy Comics" that's been running since 2007. But even if you didn't know her until now, none of that matters. Now you can know her as the fancy cartoon artist on "The Trenches" since late 2013. You may also continue knowing her as that other stuff I mentioned before. She's more than capable of being multiple things at once. That's just the Monica Ray style."

That's 5 hers and a she before saying Monica Ray in the last half of the last sentence. Also I don't believe Monica has anything to do with this enterprise now.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You realise they wrote their own bios right?

• Options
    That's 5 hers and a she before saying Monica Ray in the last half of the last sentence. Also I don't believe Monica has anything to do with this enterprise now.
    That's just the Monica Ray style.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    You realise they wrote their own bios right?

They being the people actually make this comic now, or they being people who should have been removed a year ago because they got new jobs?