As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Design a World - IC World Building

18910111214»

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I would be just as happy being a mortal.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Brothers! It is Time! The Awakened must rise to take their appointed places amidst the World we have Created! The three shall awaken in their places at the very moment the next period of light begins!

The Dragonkind will however remain in their hidden places to guard the treasures entrusted to them and await the full blossoming of the others before making their presence known. In anticipation of that time, I have placed a deep ancestral knowledge in the minds of the Awakened, that they will each know the Dragonkind when they meet...

Everyone wakes up at dawn tomorrow (Scale time). Dragons stay away from the other three until they have established themselves. Everyone will recognise the Dragonkind for what they are though the memory will be subconcious until then (it might turn up in the art&writings of the Awakened before then though...)

The races are officially awake. We are in the early mortal phase, you can do whatever you want to them. Do you want me to order you to? I can, if people are disinclined to begin.
    I recommend that those gods who wish to walk amongst the mortals and teach them do so now, and that those who wish to play mortals react accordingly to their presence.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ((Looks like I'm the Lord of Change around here. I'm adding a divinely-born mortal champion among the Corfa and using him to build a religious order, I guess it'll be the first major institution in mortal history.))

CORFA:
    By the guidance of the Angel Umbra, Talor was born in the dawning age of the mountaineer race. His birth fell under the planet Umbra, in alignment with the constellation later known as the Angel. In these slumerous, disorderly times he represented the traits of the Corfa race to immense degrees in all aspects and thus seemed semi-divine. He spent his early years studying all that he could, making efforts to better society through inventions, principles of thought, and emotional discipline. True to the Corfa he was fueld by opposing forces; gifted in both law and craft, with a desire for balance but also a deep bitterness toward others. He saw little guidance or motivation within those around him, and it sickened him.

The Taloric Monastery, as it was eventually known, was created by Talor around his astrological observations of the night sky, of which many of its stars and constellations he named. It served as a place in which all Corfans could devote their lives to knowledge and craft, as well as gain spiritual tranquility and quell emotional turmoil through balance and meditation. Its most dedicated followers used the stars for divination, and countless forms of meditation and self-reflection to improve themselves in both mind and body. They could also create complex sigils and wards with magical properties of altercation.

Talor's monestary was first built as five great keeps within walled grounds, each housing a pair of halls devoted to the worship of two of the planets and their guardian Angels. It rested in the Bronze Ridge Mountains in the western lands.
    (Assuming the location can be pinned down in such a manner.)

((I may expand upon or edit the entry on the Monastery, depending on how flummoxed or unclear my late-night typing looks tomorrow. But one more addition for now:))

RIISAAN:
    Soon after this time, a great explorer was born among the Riisaans, his name being Cacalphus.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, should we just borrow some d20 SRD for characters? Make up a little stat mod type thing for each race and rock out?

What's the game plan? I do not want to see this die, so let's get a move on.

I imagine that technically, these races would have ECLs of at least 1 or 2 on the d20 system, so do we count it as entirely leveled out?

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    We're still in the history development phase, we can't really start characters yet. Come on, guys, get your backs into it.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, I'm sure we can continue to roleplay 'characters' while creating the races' culture/history in the same manner everyone was contributing to world-building.

But starting a dungeon-crawl adventure at the dawn of time is not a reasonable next step. There's a whole other level of creation that needs to be done and people really ought to step up and start adding things piece-by-piece (perhaps the OP needs to be edited to reflect this change in potential contributions. Maybe a new thread really is in fact needed to jump-start this mortal age?)

I for one would prefer a different, more flexible system than d20-based, but now's not the time for discussing that, either.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    "Then do this.

Tell the Speaker that Salt is not without compassion; the Mountain folk will suffer my own hatred, but with time, they will benefit from it. Salt will not forsake those who call his Scale home."

"Very well then, brother. Thank you for your patience and your understanding."

Anaximander folded his will to the place where Sombrero rested.

"May I have words with you, brother? I have a message from mighty Salt. If he would see your boon to the Corfas, your granting them of unity, removed, he would care for them in his own way, and they would benefit from the rage that he gave them in time. If you do this, then he will not send his creatures to eat them once a generation. What do you say, Speaker Sombrero? If we work together on this, we can maintain the peace. At least for now."

Hrpm, I didn't expect such cruelty and eminity from even our dear brother Salt. However, since I do recognize my position as being slightly below that of He who built The Scale, I will concede with one condition. While the Corfas may be in disarray with one another, I shall grant them protection that will keep the tounges of others from doing the same. I command that each and every Corfas will be especially difficult to decieve, for their ears will hear past the deceit in the words of the other races upon the scale.

Sombrero's large, wide-brimmed hat seemed to fold in on itself. He had retreated to his own sanctuary within his headgear to brood.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Utsan: I was responding to this:
    So, should we just borrow some d20 SRD for characters? Make up a little stat mod type thing for each race and rock out?

What's the game plan? I do not want to see this die, so let's get a move on.

I imagine that technically, these races would have ECLs of at least 1 or 2 on the d20 system, so do we count it as entirely leveled out?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    "Then do this.

Tell the Speaker that Salt is not without compassion; the Mountain folk will suffer my own hatred, but with time, they will benefit from it. Salt will not forsake those who call his Scale home."

"Very well then, brother. Thank you for your patience and your understanding."

Anaximander folded his will to the place where Sombrero rested.

"May I have words with you, brother? I have a message from mighty Salt. If he would see your boon to the Corfas, your granting them of unity, removed, he would care for them in his own way, and they would benefit from the rage that he gave them in time. If you do this, then he will not send his creatures to eat them once a generation. What do you say, Speaker Sombrero? If we work together on this, we can maintain the peace. At least for now."

Hrpm, I didn't expect such cruelty and eminity from even our dear brother Salt. However, since I do recognize my position as being slightly below that of He who built The Scale, I will concede with one condition. While the Corfas may be in disarray with one another, I shall grant them protection that will keep the tounges of others from doing the same. I command that each and every Corfas will be especially difficult to decieve, for their ears will hear past the deceit in the words of the other races upon the scale.

Sombrero's large, wide-brimmed hat seemed to fold in on itself. He had retreated to his own sanctuary within his headgear to brood.

Salt grins, and leaves the realm himself. It's obvious he's pleased by this.

Back on the Scale, Salt's great avatar rests under his mountain; above, the Corfas live through their bloody lives; all around him, his monstrous children fight and die with the flashing beasts in the cave. For now, everything is right. Soon, Salt will reach out and touch the world once more; but not now.

INeedNoSalt on