As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So I bought a Forgeworld Adeptus Titanicus Tech Priest Enginseer for my dark hersey group and I did not realize it was modeled right to the base. I plan on using Secret Weapon Bone Fields for the groups mini and not sure how I would go removing him from his base with out wrecking him out right I'm thinking razor saw or jeweller saw

Without looking at it I would probably clip most of the base off until he was only standing on a little piece, then shave down the remaining resin off his feet with a knife.

Sharp101 on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    So I bought a Forgeworld Adeptus Titanicus Tech Priest Enginseer for my dark hersey group and I did not realize it was modeled right to the base. I plan on using Secret Weapon Bone Fields for the groups mini and not sure how I would go removing him from his base with out wrecking him out right I'm thinking razor saw or jeweller saw

Without looking at it I would probably clip most of the base off until he was only standing on a little piece, then shave down the remaining resin off his feet with a knife.

Mmm hmm, that and maybe use a jewellers saw to slip between the base and the robes and cut down, past the feet, as much as possible because clipping through that thickness of resin all at once will cause collateral damage.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Built some MAS holo-ads. And no, the acrylic bits aren't glued in yet.

CAQM7rQU0AAuJtG.jpg:large

And technically the big ad has the inner frame bit upside down, but fuck it, it still fits.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Those are awesome, @Echo!

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Have my blood sacrifices paid off? Do I need to perhaps sacrifice some skulls as well? I don't think they have and that maybe I do, in fact, need to sacrifice some skulls...

ce4zglk1dzis.jpg
    bt4jc1lfjfuh.jpg

...and now I'm considering pulling an Ein and putting LEDs in the big sign. Plenty of room inside the base.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    ...and now I'm considering pulling an Ein and putting LEDs in the big sign. Plenty of room inside the base.

fukken' DO IT!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Have my blood sacrifices paid off? Do I need to perhaps sacrifice some skulls as well? I don't think they have and that maybe I do, in fact, need to sacrifice some skulls...
    Let me put it this way:
    There's no such thing as "too much" when it comes to ritual sacrifice.

Advice taken! But since I didn't make it at all clear, I've done nothing with the black parts yet. They're just base coated. It's pretty much only the orange and gray that I've done something with. I'm going to bring the orange up more at some point because it's looking way too red.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Looks like Medivh from Warcraft.

180?cb=20100104180517&format=webp

(that's not a bad thing)

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Looks like Medivh from Warcraft.

180?cb=20100104180517&format=webp

(that's not a bad thing)

I am playing Warcraft 3 right now and did not make that connection. Now I will never unsee it! What have you done to me!? It's actually just some random Reaper Mini.

I'll keep it coming though. It's only the third mini I've done and it's taking awhile because of total inexperience.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Operation paint Asphyxious yellow is a go,

nfk9q8V.jpg

Yellow is not so bad if you take your time!

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'm gonna post this here because she will be painted one day. Kitbashed this Succubus tonight and I'm not sure if her Chaos Marine foothold is to much, so I need advice on her. I'm thinking of getting resin bases for these ebil space elves, so if this base looks dumb, I have zero problem scrapping it.

edit for phone errors and this: I also made a goofy looking Sybarite, but I think he looks rad. I'll put him up

20150317_205003_zpsgpa6wg6u.jpg

Extreaminatus on
    edited March 2015
    Remember that thing I was doing? That thing I've been doing? Well, it's really, really close to being done. ^_^

VHtlqxi.jpg
    d174xE9.jpg
    okXQ1zk.jpg

I've made a lot of mistakes, but I've learned a lot too. Really happy to have decided to get into these kits, as it's a very different world from miniatures. The question now is, which one am I going to work on next? One of the HG filler suits I grabbed for practice, probably, but hey, maybe I'll get zany and do the Zaku @Extreaminatus sent me for Christmas. ;)
    Also just realized how much those pictures show of my apartment and are so very telling of me as a person. Ha ha, I love it! XD

ArcticLancer on
    Holy shit!

I was going to comment on how awesome the Gundam was, then I saw Xenogears sitting there. So I was going to comment on Xenogears, then I read about the possibility of a Zaku model.

Holy shit. Do a Zaku model! It is the best mobile suit and you will be doing the world a great service.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I was going to comment on how awesome the Gundam was, then I saw Xenogears sitting there. So I was going to comment on Xenogears, then I read about the possibility of a Zaku model.

Holy shit. Do a Zaku model! It is the best mobile suit and you will be doing the world a great service.

Do the Zaku model I gave you!

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    send me that Mirror's Edge poster you have
    I need it

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited March 2015
    Dayspring wrote: »
    send me that Mirror's Edge poster you have
    I need it
    I like you, man. I do. So remember that when I tell you this:
    No.

You could buy your own though. If you're wondering, yes, I have the bigger one.

ArcticLancer on
    I might have to treat myself. Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games ever!

Also, you might have the bigger one, but mine's demon infusedwait what were we talking about again

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I best ask this here. I was thinking about painting my chaplain the way he is, but I watched a tutorial on the Legion of the Damned the other day, and after spraying the model black, they drybrushed it with some very light blue colors. Now they look too light to use on my chaplain, but I was thinking, i could do that too. What color would you recommend drybrushing on after spraying black to bring out the details? Translate into GW paints, please.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    P3 Coal Black is ideal. But GW Dark Reaper works in a pinch. Follow up with a thin edge highlight of GW Thunderhawk Blue.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Thank you very much, Doctor.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Coal Black is some sort of mystical paint that has found its way onto EVERY model I've painted since buying it.

So I visited a Games Workshop store for the first time today. I just found out it existed and shouldn't be as surprised as I am because I live in a pretty big city. The dude there was cool, not pushy at all, and let me play a game with one of the store armies.

Now I have to put everything on hold, dust off at least the Space Marines that I got something like five years ago, and paint them up so I can go and game. The store didn't even care if they were painted but I'd feel bad showing up with half painted Salamander Tactical Marines and Night Lord Terminators.

I've got my work cut out for me with how slow I paint.

So I visited a Games Workshop store for the first time today. I just found out it existed and shouldn't be as surprised as I am because I live in a pretty big city. The dude there was cool, not pushy at all, and let me play a game with one of the store armies.

Now I have to put everything on hold, dust off at least the Space Marines that I got something like five years ago, and paint them up so I can go and game. The store didn't even care if they were painted but I'd feel bad showing up with half painted Salamander Tactical Marines and Night Lord Terminators.

When I first started in high school, I didn't spend that long on pieces, and it really, really showed. My next major attempt swung much further the other way, spending days, and weeks, on just painting one guy.
    I tell you this because I can now knock out a dude in a couple of afternoons. Even a more complex piece seldom takes more than a week's worth of "2 hours here and there".
    You're doing the right thing. Just paint the fuckers. The rest comes in time. That whole "practice" thing, you know?

Oh, also, it's night time, so I can finally add this tidbit of coolness!
    Remember how I was trying to experiment with using black light ink? Well, here's a photo taken by black light. ;)

kaiVhMB.jpg

When I first started in high school, I didn't spend that long on pieces, and it really, really showed. My next major attempt swung much further the other way, spending days, and weeks, on just painting one guy.
    I tell you this because I can now knock out a dude in a couple of afternoons. Even a more complex piece seldom takes more than a week's worth of "2 hours here and there".
    You're doing the right thing. Just paint the fuckers. The rest comes in time. That whole "practice" thing, you know?

Thanks, I really do appreciate the feedback and support I've gotten from everyone. The dudes I've done and posted here are all in the range of, " a week's worth of 2 hours here and there." And I'm pretty big on practicing and keeping my mind actively analyzing things while I work. But that's in pretty much anything I do.

As far as the Space Marines I have goes... I think I'll get base colors down as quickly as I can so that I at least feel comfortable throwing them on a table. Then I'll take the time to improve them as I play. It's a little difficult to want to do them though when I got them so long ago and really wanted to start the game with Tau.

Also, that Gundam is even more rad as fuck under black lights and you should feel rad for it.

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So Then The Black Light Ink Worked! Too Cool.
    I Have Began My Airbrush Adventures And Would Like Some CC Before Moving On As Im Not Sure , Something Feels Off About This Piece So Far. The Thighs And Some Other Parts WIll Be A Light Ivory Color So Ignore Them.
    62975we.jpg
    gSo5HdD.jpg

Edit: mobile posting is the worst.

Accualt on
    @ArcticLancer now your just showing off :surprised:

That jack looking mighty fine.

J wrote: »
    @ArcticLancer now your just showing off :surprised:
    In the presence of Gods, we mortals have a way of demanding our relevance. ;p

I painted a Terminator. Not sure about his shield but in general I'm quite pleased with him.

CAZSD5yUsAAeqnR.jpg
    Colours remain shitty. I'll work on getting that lightbox I've been talking about for years

Also a WiP Sternguard.
    CAeUFP1UQAAdmx4.jpg

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna post this here because she will be painted one day. Kitbashed this Succubus tonight and I'm not sure if her Chaos Marine foothold is to much, so I need advice on her. I'm thinking of getting resin bases for these ebil space elves, so if this base looks dumb, I have zero problem scrapping it.

Just a hint for 40k: If you're not sure your stuff isn't over the top enough, it isn't.

I have these Voodooworx bases for my DE.

caFfjCS.jpg

I shall try to post pictures as I go. A little each night.

mFGhZFC.jpg

I absolutely loved those bases and wanted to look into them for Infinity. Disappointing for their website to be off for the time being ...

• WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Just a hint for 40k: If you're not sure your stuff isn't over the top enough, it isn't.

The succubus looks awesome. I would leave that chaos marine in.

This discussion has been closed.