As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dresden Files RPG Las Vegas- Dumb Luck IC/OOC

• Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    @Delmain...come out and play.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    So Delmain is at PAX, just waiting for him to make his post when he gets back.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    glad he let us know

eventually

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Erik

Watching the murderer char brought little emotion to my face, death was rapidly becoming a normal thing in my life since being around the Ice Queen meant it happened... well, commonly might not be the right word but close enough. The fire blast was really powerful though. Way more than necessary...

The fire had also sent a burning hot column of air directly into my face. It didn't hurt, but it stunned me for a half second and I heard a slight ringing. Straining my ears, it took me a moment to hear Haruna's question. "Trust you? Yeah, why?"

"Umm... what's that yelling though?"
    Yeah, sorry, PAX East was over the weekend and not until Sak PM'd me did I realize I hadn't told you guys. I was working crazy hours last week to get all my work done in time and then I left late Wednesday and just got back today.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Haruna

"No time," I said, grabbing Erik's hand and pulling him around the corner where I heard the cries coming from. I could see Roland straining under the weight of something... somethings... trying to pry their way out of the big container. The one that had the sigils plastered over it. Whatever was in there was awful, it was connected to Rutland, it had taken lives--

"Watch my ass in case this goes wrong," I said, taking a knee and digging both hands into the dirt and sand. I began to concentrate, gathering as much earth magic around me as I could handle.

I could hear Erik start saying something but that was drowned out by the sound of the earth groaning as something big shifted underneath us. I poured every ounce of energy I had into the working, and as the magic took form underneath me my heart thundered and my pride swelled--Lily's lessons in her garden had certainly not gone to waste. I finished molding the construct much faster than I expected; only a few breaths had passed. "Get ready," I said over my shoulder and applied the gift of Summer, of life and growth, to the form beneath us.

A fist made out of clay and rock the size of a tractor wheel rose out of the earth followed by a body that could have been right at home alongside a small hillock. It groaned its way out of the ground and bits of soil sloughed off as it shook itself, a motion that was almost natural. I exhaled sharply and my vision swam as I almost blacked out under the wave of fatigue that swept over me. "Smash 'em," I said, my words slurring and my arms suddenly feeling very noodly as I tried not to pass out. The beast of soil, sand and clay, my finest working yet, responded with a tectonic growl that rattled in my rib cage as it lumbered forward, its massive pillar-like arms supporting its shambling gait like a giant rocky gorilla.

so I don't know what you want to set the complexity at for something like this, but using Summer Magic I can cast certain types of thaumaturgic effects as evocations, and i basically want to create a sand and earth equivalent of the Chlorofiend from Summer Knight; stats for it are on Our World p 32, and it's only a -5 refresh monster. i figure creating a badass golem to hold the line while Erik thinks up something to wipe these ghouls out is a pretty cool thing to do

the rules don't really lay out what it takes to actually make a construct beyond that it takes "extra energy" to create a true AI, so I'm going to ballpark it; it's a refresh 5 base, except i want to up its toughness and strength to Supernatural levels, which brings it up to 9 refresh, so we'll say 9 shifts to actually construct the body out of dirt and stone and grass, which I am going to affectionately name The Hulkalanche

and since the book is vague on the details of how to create an AI, i'm going to apply some fate logic and say by doing a maneuver (3 shifts) to apply an aspect Smarter Than It Looks and making it scene-long (3 shifts) i can have my golem for only 15 total shifts for the rest of the scene which seems pretty reasonable

Haruna's seelie magic scores are 6 conviction / 6 discipline, and with the final mental box marked, Haruna can call up an additional 3 shifts for 9 safely; the other six is going to have to come from a major Mental consequence: Exhausted

this means Haruna's stress boxes are:

Phys OOOOO (Moderate: Walking With a Limp
    Mental OOXX (Major: Exhausted)

and now for the casting roll:

creating a Hulkalanche: 4dF+6 7

i could have done better but I can't complain; that actually means, by spending the four Fate Points i've accrued here i can actually successfully hit that roll with a +8 total, by invoking High Concept (Half-Sidhe Sorceress and Ecologist), Growth and Nourishment, Crazy Like a Fox, and No Mercy to the Undeserving

also so i don't forget, i think i have one compel's worth coming at the end of the scene for toasting guard mcmurderer, so there's that. anyway, HULKALANCHE SMAAAASH

vra8fr.jpg
    THE HULKALANCHE

Aspects: Faerie Earth Monster, Smarter Than It Looks, Hulkalanche Smash
    Skills:
    Fists +5 (Weapon: 4 Fists of Smashing)
    Might +7
    Athletics +2
    Endurance +4

Stress
    Physical OOOOOO(OOOO) [Armor 2]
    Mental OO
    Social OO

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    i love this magic system and i love seelie magic

best expenditure ever

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Roland

Well, I thought to myself as the summoned titan began thudding its way toward me. At least I don't have to explain any blown up airplanes. "This Lord of the Rings special effect is on our side, right?"

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i dunno how Sak wants to handle the Hulkalanche's actions, if I should just have it act in place of me or if he wants to roll the stuff for it

edit: screw it imma have the Hulkalanche tear open the container like a soda can

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Haruna

I gave Roland a weak thumbs up. Though my vision was still teeter-tottering and fuzzy along the edges I could see the earthen construct lope its way over to the shipping container, brace itself... and then do something I didn't expect.

It gently nudged Roland aside and, with the sound of shearing aluminum, tore off the doors of the shipping container like it was opening a box of cracker jack.

"GWWWOOOOAAAOOOOOOO," it roared and I swear to god the ground quaked as the battle cry echoed around McCarran. Jesus, everyone within a mile probably felt that, to say nothing of hearing it. If whatever was in that container had ears it's likely they were bleeding. Well, that's what I'd hoped.

I suddenly wished I carried a gun for times like these as I saw the creature pull a ghoul out of the shipping container in its earthy grip... and then another followed it out, jumping atop the stony hulk... and then another... and another... and another...

"Oh... oh fuck!" I yelled, probably a little too loudly, scrambling to my feet. Well, that was my intention anyway; my body was still dealing with the immense amount of strain I'd put it under from my spell, and I sort of stumbled backwards and fell onto my ass.

i figure the Hulkalanche is gonna use its action to basically place itself center stage as the main threat, using its Hulking Size to its advantage to put up a Might-based block for the ghouls to actually get around the damn thing and out of the container itself

Hulkalanche Block!: 4dF+7 6

so the Ghouls gotta Athletics their way around a +6 block to get past the Hulkalanche, i guess they could try challenging it with Might too but i somehow doubt they can armwrestle a stone golem

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Just for reference, I'm not missing again, I just want to see what Sak says about the Hulkalanche first

• Options
    he's going to say

'what a handsome creature that is'

• Options
    edited March 2015
    so for anyone who doesn't know, if you preorder the Paranet Papers in hardcopy from the Evil Hat webstore you get a free e-copy of the book now

it has a lot of great stuff, including expanded explanations and clarifications on magic

and uh, after reading that i definitely lowballed the fuck out of the Hulkalanche; going by the necromancy rules (the closest thing to golemming) you have to drop two shifts for each point of refresh's worth, and an additional shift per skill

so the complexity for the original chlorofiend is 23, and the Hulkalanche is 30

i will note this in the future, also it requires a steady stream of will and concentration to keep it together which i'm fine to incorporate now

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm not surprised that summoning/animating is that expensive. It's the kind of thing that is typically done via long ritual (which can add bonuses to the roll if I'm remembering correctly) and it throws a new, disposable body into a fight that is probably better suited than the caster to throw down.

One shift per refresh is a nice, round approach. Which makes it feel like something Fate would do, though.

If it were me running the game, I might just require (a ton of) extra stress for animating. But I'll need to read the new stuff before deciding, probably.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    well it's two shifts per refresh point of powers but yea

and yeah I was guesstimating based on mechanisms in the system already in place and taking advantage of my sponsor being that I'm in line with summers agenda

I could actually make the 30 shifts through sponsor debt if I wanted to

I figure at this point having drained my FP pool and taken a major consequence and having to sacrifice my own actions is a good compromise without retconning the whole shebang

and it's certainly not something I plan to do often because outside of sponsor debt I don't have the kinds of resources to do it

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    that being said I'm fine with taking on some sponsor debt if Sak deems it so

I have no problem being summers puppet in the interest of fun :D

• Options
    I was referring to your original formulation of the spell on the one shift per refresh thing. Is sponsor debt a new thing or something I missed because I've never magiced in this system before?

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    oh, yeah, it seemed reasonable at the time XD

sponsor debt is a part of any type of sponsored magic (except soulfire but we'll discuss that later), and it basically is a thing that a wizard can accrue at his option when he can't pay his own bills magically speaking; as long as it's aligned with the sponsor's agenda, the sponsor will pay for it... and then can call payment due at a later time

2 shifts = 1 debt

the debt can be called in however the sponsor wants in the form of compels that the player can't opt out of (with the usual negotiation of compels at the table of course)

acquiring the flexibility and debt of a sponsor is at the player's discretion though, you can turn that tap on and off whenever you wish, it just offers that extra reserve to do, well, anything as long as you're okay with letting the sponsor color the spell

get hit by a car and don't want to take a consequence? have the sponsor pay for it
    need some shifts to keep your spell from going haywire and killing you and/or your friends? have the sponsor cover you
    need a superpower in a pinch? the sponsor will foot your bill

and the debt rises and then one day you gotta give the devil his due

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Yeah, they ain't cheap. The books are pretty high quality, though.

I didn't see an electronic option for pre-order.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    when you pre-order you get a hard copy on june 1 and a free PDF now

the PDF-only option isn't going up for awhile

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Sorry guys, spent last night dealing with cops after someone broke into my girlfriend's car. Ironically they stole the copy of the Dresden Files audiobook I check out from the library. I'll get a post up tonight though.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    that sucks! :(

• Options
    Harry's high concept as of Changes is awesome

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your car, Sak. Which book was it?

I just finished White Knight for the first time. Shit's kinda getting real.

• Options
    hope Sak is ok, hasn't been on for awhile now..

• Options
    He's got more mandatory overtime, it sounds like life is kicking his butt right now. Happy thoughts to you Sak for when you read this! :)

• Options
    I am super sorry for this delay guys, please believe me it was not expected. Mandatory overtime at my job usually wraps up by the end of February but we lost a ton of people so I am filling in a lot more than usual.

I WILL have a post up to carry on tomorrow no matter what. Again I apologize, and I just like Harry Dresden I promise I will be back.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Welcome back, Sak! No worries about the absence, man. Life's like that sometimes.

• Options
    I'm almost certainly going to be MIA all weekend as it's my cousin's bachelor party. I say almost certainly because I'm sitting here at work waiting for someone to get something back to me and I can only yell at them that I'm not supposed to be here so many time...

• Options
    I have the day off today and all of the plans I had have fallen through so, looks like it is time for some rapid fire Dresden Files posting.
    lj570c9ygbyf.jpg

Haruna, Erik, and Roland

More ghouls fanned out in front of the construct even as some of the others scurried over its enormous body like insects. Harrying the enormous creature they attacked one after another, swiping at it with their claws or pummeling it with their fists. They looked like ants swarming over a beetle that'd wandered into their path.
    Well...my ghouls aren't in the same weight class as the hulkalanche. However they are seriously pissed off and hungry so lets see what they can do. Rather than trying to climb over Haruna's construct they're just going to try and tear it apart.

Ghoul 1 Fists: 2
    Ghoul 2 Fists: 7
    Ghoul 3 Fists: 3
    Ghoul 4 Fists: 4
    Ghoul 5 Fists: 2
    Ghoul 6 Fists: 2
    Ghoul 7 Fists: 4
    Ghoul 8 Fists: 6
    Ghoul 9 Fists: 4
    Ghoul 10 Fists: 2
    Ghoul 11 Fists: 5
    Ghoul 12 Fists: 1

Keep in mind each of those counts as a Weapon 4 attack if it hits.

Jacob

Landing just inside the destroyed window Jacob entered the sporting goods store ducking behind a row of shelves stocked with what appeared to be mountain climbing equipment. Someone, almost certainly the ghouls, had shut off all of the lights leaving the interior in nearly total darkness. The only light was coming through the window that they'd shattered, and even that was barely enough to see by. Peeking around the corner of the shelves he caught a glimpse of the darkened store. A pair of escalators leading down to the first floor were situated in the middle of the store. Someone had gone o the trouble of setting up a basketball hoop and they'd also roped of a relatively small area to serve as a court. More shelves were piled high with all manner of sporting goods including: balls of various shapes and sizes, protective equipment, and shoes designed for a wide variety of activities.
    The ghouls aren't interested in fighting Jacob again, especially after that little dust up in the sewers. They're playing hide and seek.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    i really don't want to make 12 rolls and compare 'em line by line so i'll just make one

Defend With Athletics: 4dF+2 2

2 (take a minor), 7, 3, 4 (take a moderate), 2, 2 (roll up to 3), 4 (roll up to 5), 6, 4 (roll up to 8), 2 (roll up to 9), 5 (roll up to 10), miss

Hulkalanche Stress:
    OXXXXXXXXX
    Consequences: Missing Bits and Pieces (Minor), Staggered (Moderate)

well, the Hulkalanche managed to barely withstand a full onslaught of 12 attacks thanks to a rather poor roll. hope Roland and Erik have a trick up their sleeve :p

• Options
    That hulakalnche is a scary son of a sidhe. Delmain, don't forget about the fancy bottle the Ice Queen gave you.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    How fast can I sprint back to the car and get some heavier firepower with Inhuman Speed? Can I push myself or take some strain to go faster?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    With Inhuman Speed? Two minutes to get there and back. It'd give the ghouls another round and Erik would have the hold the fort with the hulkalanche until you get back.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Jacob

The great, black bird quickly transformed into a tall, lean, and very naked human. Reaching out a newly formed hand, he snatched a pair of athletic shorts from a nearby shelf and slipped them on.

Warily, he moved through the store toward the escalators.

• Options
    Are Haruna, Jacob, and/or Erik in the same zone as the Hulkalanche and all the ghouls?

On that note, if a spell targets everything in a zone, that means it hits everything at the same weapon rating, right? So like if I rolled 6 shifts on my spell attack roll, I could hit everything in a single zone (-2 shifts) with a Weapon: 4 (-4 shifts) attack?

Also, I'm going back and reading what that potion was supposed to do. I've completely forgotten, lol

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I can save you some reading Delmain, Ice Queen never told you what the potion did.

Also yes you could hit everything in the zone at the same weapon rating and at the moment everyone, with the possible exception of Roland who might be running to the car for more guns, are in the same zone.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Jacob

From the top of the escalator Jacob had a clear line of sight downstairs where three people had been tied together with brightly colored ropes. They all appeared to be store employees judging from their almost identical clothing. Two of them were men, and they both bore signs of a recent struggle that had left them the worse for wear. One of them was clearly unconscious with his head lolling down onto his chest, while the second man's lip was split and the left side of his face was swelling rapidly. The third captive was a woman, but not the same one who'd been dragged to the window a few minutes ago, she was an athletic looking red head with an artificial looking tan.

A pair of milky skinned men wearing Wrangler's jerseys and sweatpants were standing at the bottom of the escalator alongside of the captives. The taller of the two was toying with a serrated hunting knife while staring at the bound woman a few feet away. "...don't see why we can't eat I few of them."

"Because they are not for eating." The second ghoul continued staring in the opposite direction aiming a hunting rifle into the darkness.

The first man snorted. Standing up and walking towards the girl who cringed as he seized her chin and forced her to lift her gaze to meet his. "What else are they're kind good for?"

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Haha, yeah, I looked back. It was "throw this at things if you need a distraction". So uh, here goes.

Also, it'd be Roland that was running for more guns, =P

Erik

The giant earth golem shook me almost off my feet when it appeared, and watching it get pummeled by a ravenous pack of ghouls kind of dulled my desire to remain in this area. Remembering the small glass vial that the Ice Queen gave me earlier and what her explanation was, I waste no time.

I pull the potion (or whatever it was...) out of my jacket pocket, line up, and hurl it right at the Hulkalanche. The ghouls have nearly pulled it down already and at least right now, its drawing them all to one spot. You lived a short life, buddy, but here's hoping you go out in a blaze of glory.

As soon as the phial is out of my hand, I turn and get my arm under Haruna. Having no idea what would happen if destroying her creation had any backlash, I started supporting her weight and hustled as quickly as I could away from the melee. I turned to Roland and yelled, in case it wasn't paying attention.

"Run!"

• Options
    Roland

I ran.

Maybe there's a grenade launcher under my seat, I reassured myself. Or a passing helicopter will drop a rocket launcher for me to use. Anything to convince myself that I did not just let a dozen slavering cannibal monsters loose on the biggest airport in the city.
    If the vial's result is anything less than a thermonuclear explosion, Roland is getting a bigger gun (possibly several bigger guns) and heading back to clean up.