As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When Books Went to [Chat]

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Morning [chat], was up till almost 1am playing a Street Samurai in Shadownrun Returns. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Though I'm still early on in the game I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions with regards to karma and how I should spend it? I've mainly been putting it into melee as I'm preferring to run like that for now (just bought a machete!).

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Of course skfm hates uber, the drivers never wear uniforms!

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Saw that tweet because, of course, William Gibson retweeted it.

It doesn't work with his early novels, because we're not at Sprawl times yet, but with his later stuff I've found that reading it a few years after it comes out is an excellent demonstration of how on the goddamn money Gibson often is about facets of modern life that are just around the corner. The last one I read was written in 2009 or something and everyone is using twitter and surveillance drones via mobile apps.

I need to get another copy of pattern recognition

the last one i owned i gave to someone

fuck gendered marketing
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Uber looks like a good idea in the hands of unscrupulous folk.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Mandatory voting will never happen. High participation helps Dems so the GOP will never go along. I also strongly suspect choosing not to vote would be viewed as speech by the court.

Choosing not to vote should be fined as ignoring the duties of the office of citizen is perhaps one of worst things an actual citizen could do.

Mandatory voting will never happen. High participation helps Dems so the GOP will never go along. I also strongly suspect choosing not to vote would be viewed as speech by the court.

I'd have thought a "none of the above" option on a ballot would satisfy your latter point. Good point on GOP though.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Apathy is democracy's kryptonite. There's a great Judge Dredd story where he lets the city vote on whether they want the Judges to remain in power or to install a democratically elected government, and barely anyone bothers. Those that do vote tend towards the devil they know.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Uber is a butt. Air BnB is a smellier butt. That is all.

nah

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/19/gabe-newell-discusses-possibility-of-half-life-3
    Valve boss Gabe Newell recently shared his thoughts on the future of the Half-Life franchise, and how the company he co-founded many years ago has evolved into a service platform as it shifts away from game development.

During an interview with Geoff Keighley in a one-off podcast called GameSlice (via Polygon), Newell was asked whether or not fans will ever see a proper Half-Life 3. Newell replied: "The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]."

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

It doesn't work with his early novels, because we're not at Sprawl times yet, but with his later stuff I've found that reading it a few years after it comes out is an excellent demonstration of how on the goddamn money Gibson often is about facets of modern life that are just around the corner. The last one I read was written in 2009 or something and everyone is using twitter and surveillance drones via mobile apps.

I need to get another copy of pattern recognition

the last one i owned i gave to someone

Just get a copy of Zero History, they're basically the same novel

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/19/gabe-newell-discusses-possibility-of-half-life-3
    Valve boss Gabe Newell recently shared his thoughts on the future of the Half-Life franchise, and how the company he co-founded many years ago has evolved into a service platform as it shifts away from game development.

During an interview with Geoff Keighley in a one-off podcast called GameSlice (via Polygon), Newell was asked whether or not fans will ever see a proper Half-Life 3. Newell replied: "The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]."

gabe trollin

aRkpc.gif
    Now catching up with the latest episode of First Dates. Girl just told guy who said his mum was part Egyptian that she didn't know people could still be Egyptian. Isn't that just like olden days Tutankhamen and stuff? She knew Egypt existed, but her grasp of how the modern country existed was hazy.

ronya wrote: »

gabe trollin

I'm at the point where I'm pretty sure Half Life 3 isn't ever going to happen.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

I'd have thought a "none of the above" option on a ballot would satisfy your latter point. Good point on GOP though.

its not just freedom of speach, its freedom of expression.

also, how would you enforce mandatory voting?

Your post contains the phrase "Half-Life" three times. Half-Life 3 confirmed!

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

The Blue Ant trilogy might very well be his best stuff. Pattern Recognition is an outstanding fucking novel. And it's the first real post 9/11 novel.

Pattern Recognition might be his best and most mature work as a writer but idk about the whole trilogy. Spook Country was really, really flat for me. The only one of his series novels where I felt like the second book equaled or exceeded the first was Idoru.

rRwz9.gif
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    just finished Bojack Horseman

what a wonderful show

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

gabe trollin

I'm at the point where I'm pretty sure Half Life 3 isn't ever going to happen.

Why would they ever bother?
    It'll never live up to the hype no matter what and Valve is making the kind of mad cash that lets them do other stuff that'll never live up to the hype, like Steamboxes and their VR nonsense.

sig.gif
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    What if Half Life 3 has already been released, but in secret and in a different format.

When you think about it isn't Elysium an allegorical HL3?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I love Steam, the product

but nothing I ever hear about Valve makes me think gosh what a neat company

rRwz9.gif
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh Hey sir, any tips for a new Street Samurai?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Jesus christ what the fucky fuck

Seriously, this be crazyville right here.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The suspect may be mentally ill, officials said.

Whoa now, let's not jump to conclusions here

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Mazzyx wrote: »

good fucking lord.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    ive never used an uber

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    it sounds like the company is devoted to avoiding as much regulation as possible and i'm not sure thats good

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Jacob, Sunless Sea runs on, like, a calculator, right? I keep meaning to buy it and put it on my four year old laptop.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i wonder how shit the internal controls are at valve

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure Valve gives less than two shits about folks wanting HL3.

They swim in pools of Steam money. Do an occasional pet project and who knows what else.

But what Gabe says in that interview makes sense from everything I know about Valve and what their handbook says.

Sounds like Gaben has no interest in doing HL3 but if enough of a team wants to more power to them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Apathy is democracy's kryptonite. There's a great Judge Dredd story where he lets the city vote on whether they want the Judges to remain in power or to install a democratically elected government, and barely anyone bothers. Those that do vote tend towards the devil they know.

Vote UKIP

Lh96QHG.png
    The longer they sit on HL3 the bigger of a deal it becomes. It makes sense for them to wait as long as they want; the Half-Life series can survive a couple decades without being forgotten.

Vote UKIP

I would imagine they'd be all for a Dredd like police force.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

In the US you'd need three, maybe four things.

1.) A None of the Above option to satisfy freedom of speech requirements
    2.) Free and easy to obtain/automatically deployed ID
    3.) A way for poors to get to the polls
    4.) Buy in from all the people who currently have a lot of money/influence because those first three things don't exist

I'm fairly against compulsory voting on principle, but if most of those conditions were met I could get behind it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i just sent my phone off for repair

i probably should have sourced another phone to use in the meantime

hmm

Actually I guess with early voting and vote by mail we've kind of solved number three there.

Lh96QHG.png

Vote UKIP

I would imagine they'd be all for a Dredd like police force.

British Justice for British Crooks

Lh96QHG.png
    Tav wrote: »
    i just sent my phone off for repair

i probably should have sourced another phone to use in the meantime

hmm

You are officially a non-person.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    There's no way people with a lot of money/influence are going to support mandatory voting, because it will impact the amount of influence (and therefore money) they'll have in the future.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

The Blue Ant trilogy might very well be his best stuff. Pattern Recognition is an outstanding fucking novel. And it's the first real post 9/11 novel.

Pattern Recognition might be his best and most mature work as a writer but idk about the whole trilogy. Spook Country was really, really flat for me. The only one of his series novels where I felt like the second book equaled or exceeded the first was Idoru.

The two follow-ups to Pattern Recognition are fine but if you removed Bigend and a brief cameo they'd be their own series.

His trilogies aren't structured well. The first books are fantastic and self-contained, they don't require more, and the next two instalments are connected to each other but don't have much to do with the first.

I wouldn't say any of them are bad. I like them all a lot - he's my favourite author. But hell if there ain't a difference in quality.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    Gonmun wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh Hey sir, any tips for a new Street Samurai?

A good approach to characters in SRR/Dragonfall is to focus on one (1) combat skill, two (2) utilities, and Charisma. (There's never really a good reason not to be a charismatic main character in a PC RPG, because it always opens up so many options.)

Pretty much any weapon approach is totally viable. Assault rifles are the best overall weapon, but tend to use both of your action points (leaving you unable to move after firing). Shotguns do really solid damage up-close. Pistols do less damage round-to-round but have decent range and the best critical hits in the game, and the best trick shot powers (hitting multiple targets, disarming enemies, etc). Melee is also a solid option, although it's better in Dragonfall than in Shadowrun Returns.

Grenades are pretty nice too, but obviously with so few inventory slots you can't have that as your main thing.

Pick one thing to start out with - "I'm going to be really good at pistols," or whatever, and jack it up to 4 or 5 as soon as you can.

Now, the way the skills work, your chance to hit in ranged or melee combat is determined by the Ranged Combat or Melee Combat skills, NOT by the Assault Rifle, Pistol, Unarmed, etc skills for specific weapons. What the specific weapon skills do is improve your criticals and unlock better powers with those weapons. So if you have a good ranged combat and focus on assault rifles, there's no reason not to pack a backup shotty or pistol or whatever just in case.

So after you've got your main combat weapon chosen, pick a utility skill. By utilities I mean stuff like Biotech (which lets medkits heal you more, and in Dragonfall opens up a surprising number of bonus dialogue options), or Dodge (the ability not to be hit), or Body (which affects your HP). I think any character should probably have a minimum of 3 in Body but if you plan on doing a lot of melee or being in danger it is definitely worth pumping that up to 6 or even higher.

Lastly, as a street sam, you're going to want cyberware, but - and this is frustrating - WAIT. Don't buy the first stuff you see. The game releases progressively better and better cyberware as you progress, so your best bet is to wait till the later-game and stuff as much of that sweet 'ware into you as can fit rather than settle for some bulky, crappy cyberleg that will drop your Essence by a ton and prevent you getting something better later on.

@Gonmun

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.