As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Zip Lines were a pretty great edition to the game. Especially with Blood Money. I was working with my squad to set up two-way ziplines to and from the money and our vault the other day. The system worked pretty great.

Also, those heavy duty multipassenger vans are OP for Hotwire. We had two of 'em at one point filled with guys, driving in a long circle in a desert, shooting down helocopters, killing pursuing cars, repairing as we went. It was awesome.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    A fully loaded helo can be pretty brutal. Got so irritated with one on hotwire I made a point to grab the stinger at spawn and at least make them run

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Zip lines were pretty great in bf2. It is good to hear that they're making use of old content again. It was a shame how the franchise regressed over the years. Glad to see that they might be starting to get comfortable with the old stuff. That's the first step towards new stuff.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Incendiary and gas grenades on blood money are brutal. Got a triple on guys raiding our vault

Something cool, if your squad leader isn't marking objectives and you keep requesting orders it will automatically switch you to leader in match.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Some really goofy shit that happened to me today
    http://youtu.be/ralS4BNIuqM
    Also me and a bud wrecking shopnin the choppa
    http://youtu.be/V17xyk04TVc

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Anyone on the PS4?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Hey, H Jay, i saw your invite earlier but had to leave. Ill try and join in your game next time i see you on :)

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I'm really bad at heist. Also, after being told clicking the right stick changes vehicle camera's, wow, night and day with cars.

Getting on now for cops n robbers action. Add Local H Jay if you're on Xbone!

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRle5UAj3Os

Pretty neat little gun attachment guide.

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    With my first session under my belt now, having played most modes for like an hour or two (didn't get around to Heist yet), I enjoy the hell out of most modes, and don't dislike any of 'em at first sight. I'm quite surprised how much I like Rescue, and to a lesser extent Crosshair - didn't think those would be for me. Of course, the SPM is rather abysmal in these two modes, which is a major downside when I still need to unlock everything.

As a bit of a stat whore, and given how huge the difference is in terms of SPM and KpM between the various modes, I hope Visceral will track my stats per mode, rather than just the total. Battlelog is totally fucked right now, at least on PS4 (as per usual), so I don't know how they do track it. Is there a way to track my stats with the Battlelog smartphone app (or might there even be a new one specifically for Hardline)? I can't seem to select my Hardline soldier.

Starting out, the flippin' customization is a bit much - setting up seperate loadouts for each kit, for both crime dogs and police hogs. I guess it'll be awesome once I'll have all the 5 loadsouts for each kit and each side perfectly setup, but until then, it'll require a lot of effort on my part. Being able to do so from the start screen is a step-up from BF4's need to load into the game beforehand (even if I usually did it on the training island). Sadly, vehicle customization can only be done in the running game, and no training island this time either.

Hopefully they'll still add a training map down the line. It's just too useful not to have. I bet their metrics said, virtually nobody uses it anyways. It's their own fault really. Should've had tests setup there, and leaderboards and what have you. Having some kind of mini-Pilot Wings, for players to earn their pilot's licence - that'd be the best. Hell, even WoW added mandatory skill tests to their game, before allowing people to queue for dungeons and raids. It just makes too much sense.

BranniganSepp on
    Is this thread our official Hardline thread? If so, the thread title should be updated to make that super clear. It just says "Battlefield"...

Battlerifles. The least competitive weapon type around. Are they low DPS assault rifles with the most insane kick ever? Are they extremely high rate of fire DMRs with stupid damage drop-off? Either way, they are hard to handle, but boy is it rewarding getting good with them.

How - you might wonder. By mostly sticking to semi-auto mode, even in close quarters. Weapons like the SCAR-H can become tremendously beastly, and feel oh-so badass. I've been surprising myself with a couple of MVP rounds in Conquest 64 tonight, running Battlerifles. They are sub par in every respect, but remain deadly at all ranges. Especially the 3-body-hit-kills at close range are surprisingly adequate.

Nothing feels quite as good as double tapping a 1000+ RPM-toting run and gun engineer in the temple with a battlerifle in close quarters. Owned!

Melkster wrote: »
    Is this thread our official Hardline thread? If so, the thread title should be updated to make that super clear. It just says "Battlefield"...

It should be the replacement thread since the last one is at 100 pages.

Hotwire kind of sucks when everyone and their mother has a rocket launcher. Most teams don't even drive cars around. They just get the rocket launchers from the cars and blow everyone up as they drive.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_fCfb3Hjg

So glad they nerfed Magnum ammo. Looking forward to playing Recon with Magnum ammo, and now I can do it without feeling bad about it. I'll always have the memories of dealing like 70 damage to choppers with a single closerange shot in the beta. With some decent aim oldschool Magnum ammo turned the Battlefield into a simpleton shooting gallery. Man and machine - all fell to my gaze of Magnum doom.

Guess I'll have to work a little harder to recreate that feeling.

What map is good to get sabotage kills on?

Stragint wrote: »

If you're doing assignments for unlocks, my tip is to not try and force it too hard. A watched pot never boils. Just use the Sabotage gadget on doors and cars, as you would. Eventually you'll unlock what you want.

edited March 2015
    Stragint wrote: »

If you're doing assignments for unlocks, my tip is to not try and force it too hard. A watched pot never boils. Just use the Sabotage gadget on doors and cars, as you would. Eventually you'll unlock what you want.

Shit, I didn't even know it worked on doors. That makes this a little easier. For some reason I assumed it only worked on cars and I've been camping car spawns near the enemy spawn to try and get kills.

And yea, I'm trying to get that unlock SMG, it looked fun to goof off with though apparently there is still a ton of crazy shit I need to do.

Edit: Do I need to do something to set the explosive off or does it do it automatically? I set one on a car, watched the dude get into the car and it didn't blow up.

Nevermind, I do have to blow up cars with the sabotage gadget. Still good to know it works on doors, that is going to be a lot of fun to play with.

Stragint on

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Pretty much any item in the game that you can activate, you can sabotage. Ammo caches and wall-mounted medkits included. Just have to find the right spot to place the charge. Warehouse doors and areas like the basement floor of Growhouse are great for getting sabotage kills.

edited March 2015
    Some of my advanced tactics for Hotwire.
    • When in a capture point vehicle, I always try to catch up with other friendly vehicles and trail them. Eventually it'll turn into one Toretto-family-style Fast and Furious Caravan of Gun-toting Bliss. Also great for getting blown up less, since I'm not leading the pack then.
    • If not holding the majority of cars, I always try and chase down other capture zone vehicles. Also makes friendlies spawning on me more likely. Anybody, not just squadmates, can spawn into vehicles.
    • Whenever possible, if I have passengers, driving my capture vehicle past neutral capture vehicles and slowing down almost always results utter round dominance. Even the most subtle hint can help a player make the right decision.
    • The 200% objective boost is bloody OP for hotwire. 20-30k $ per round, and almost guaranteed MVP coin at the end.

And yes, boosts applying directly to the scoreboard is utter BS. Hopefully they'll mend that gaping wound of silliness ASAP.

BranniganSepp on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I feel it says something about the franchise that they give you weapon attachments for your starting guns but still witholds repair tools and defibs for unlocks.

edited March 2015
    I feel it says something about the franchise that they give you weapon attachments for your starting guns but still witholds repair tools and defibs for unlocks.

I don't quite get that either. Always thought that that's nonsensical design. I can imagine more casual players getting put off by that quickly, especially if they pick up the game later in its lifecycle, when players like me have everything unlocked, and are proficient at playing the game. Maybe those time savers DLC thingies actually generate significant revenue, and that's why it is how it is these days.

I always thought that the right way to tackle kits would be to give each kit two role-defining gadgets, which are always the same and everpresent, regardless of customization. I hate how unreliable kit swapping has become in recent iterations of Battlefield. You never know what you'll end up with. Ontop of those 2 predetermined gadgets, I'd envision a 3rd, maybe even a 4th gadget slot, which should be customizable.

The ideal basic gadgets in my eyes, at least for military-themed Battlefield games are - med packs and the underslung grenade launcher for the assault kit, the repair tool and RPGs for the engineer kit, ammo crates and C4 for the support kit, IR/NV-binoculars and mortar designators for the recon kit.

Generally, I think rescuscitation is way too OP for one kit to have. Always thought the most sound kit design approch would be to give a limited amount of revives to each and every kit, like 1-2x adrenaline syringes for everyone, which can be replenished in the field from med packs.

As is, the assault kit is the most viable kit for infantry-centric maps because of its exclusive revive ability, and the engineer kit is the most viable choice for vehicle-centric maps because of its superior AT and vehicle repair abilities - all of which makes the recon and support kits more of a selfish choice, rather than perfectly viable. Same reason why I think every kit should have some form or AT-capabability within its basic repertoire, and why small arms damage on helicopters makes a lot of sense.

On that note, Hardline should definitely double small arms damage against choppers, if not even triple it. I think if infantry is capable of unloading 2-3x magazines into a chopper, that chopper should be in trouble. I'm a good pilot, and currently small arms damage doesn't really phase me whatsoever. It's embarassing how easy it is for good pilots to rack up insane killstreaks. I guess eventually magnum ammo will become more prevalent, which does 16%-10% damage per hit. That might do the trick.

BranniganSepp on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

*snip*

As is, the assault kit is the most viable kit for infantry-centric maps because of its exclusive revive ability, and the engineer kit is the most viable choice for vehicle-centric maps because of its superior AT and vehicle repair abilities - all of which makes the recon and support kits more of a selfish choice, rather than perfectly viable. Same reason why I think every kit should have some form or AT-capabability within its basic repertoire, and why small arms damage on helicopters makes a lot of sense.

*snip*

I just wanted to comment here: sure, being able to revive is all well and good.....until you run out of ammo and could really use a support to toss you an ammo pack (or, as is the case in Hardline, to just stand near). This also applies to engineers with their AT weapons. One thing that I distinctly noticed in the beta was the lack of ammo crates on hoods of cars. I did that once in Hotwire with a capture car and started driving. Three engineers spawned in my car and I got SOOOOOO many resupply coins.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

*snip*

*snip*

I just wanted to comment here: sure, being able to revive is all well and good.....until you run out of ammo and could really use a support to toss you an ammo pack (or, as is the case in Hardline, to just stand near). This also applies to engineers with their AT weapons. One thing that I distinctly noticed in the beta was the lack of ammo crates on hoods of cars. I did that once in Hotwire with a capture car and started driving. Three engineers spawned in my car and I got SOOOOOO many resupply coins.

You usually run out of life, before you run out of ammo - especially on tight infantry-centric maps. Sure, both recon and support kit bring useful things to the field, but all of it certainly falls short of gaining back lost tickets.

Hypothetically, if you'd set-up a round of TDM of all recon/support/engineer kit players, versus a team of equally skilled assault kit players, just by virtue of revives, I'd predict the assault kit running team would win 99.9% of the time.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Game is good

There a PA platoon forming for it?

edited March 2015
    Heads-up, since Battlelog doesn't ever respond on PS4, they've now updated the smartphone app for Hardline, so I can finally get my stat tracking fix. Now if only they'd properly surface all the pertinent assignments to weapon unlocks properly, both in-game and in Battlelog, that'd be baller - because I've no idea where I stand.

BranniganSepp on
    Honestly I'm finding that between the engineers grenade launchers and SMG's, the sheer power of the gas grenade/shotgun enforcer combo and the ability for the professional to turn any room into a home alone style trap while having a semi decent pistol that class balance is surprisingly good even on infantry focused maps.

Though I'm sure once everyone has M416/16A's and defibs heist will probably be 60/70% Operators.

Ugh, the worst part about this game is Origin. I logged on at like 1:30 AM pacific time, wanting to play some Hardline. Connected to a game. Then got disconnected. Refreshed Battlelog. All servers empty, and a message at the top saying all of Hardline was down for maintenance.

Wut.

That seems pretty dumb. Each server should be its own little island right? Why do you need to take down all servers for everyone?

Im sure they want servers updated at the same time to avoid having some running dif versions of the game, no?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

*snip*

*snip*

You usually run out of life, before you run out of ammo - especially on tight infantry-centric maps. Sure, both recon and support kit bring useful things to the field, but all of it certainly falls short of gaining back lost tickets.

Hypothetically, if you'd set-up a round of TDM of all recon/support/engineer kit players, versus a team of equally skilled assault kit players, just by virtue of revives, I'd predict the assault kit running team would win 99.9% of the time.

The catch-22 of this is that if you're on a team of all assault kits and they do keep reviving, they will be running out of ammo and in need of either an ammo crate or just not taking the revive (which, I will admit, depending on shooting accuracy, could result in a pretty big disparity in the k/d comparison between teams). Although, the thought of a 32-person team of knife-wielding (BF4) or baton-waving (Hardline) maniacs does appeal to me.

But, that's with the experience I've had with the game. And that experience excludes TDM/SDM. With Hardline, all I've ever played is Hotwire (where an ammo crate is invaluable just for the grenade resupply alone). In BF4, I stuck with Obliteration, CQ/CQL, Domination, and some Rush. So with that in mind, I fully acknowledge that my experience may be coloring my opinion of the support class (also, coloring my opinion of their value is that I've been an LMG whore since I first equipped the MG3 in Bad Company 2).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    In Rescue mode the revives should be turned off. We had an enemy team that was hiding their medic and would revive everyone as soon as we left with the hostages, and then we got shot in the back.

• KraintKraint Registered User regular
    I've found that Enforcer is a lot of fun in hotwire. Tossing charges at pursuing vehicles or leaving them as a surprise in the usual hidey holes when you pass by is a blast, and the shotgun is great for taking out drivers passing by.

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I imagine they'd shit their pants if Tibbly was playing. Since I've seen him go from 900-1300spm

Bitch please I've cracked 10k SPM before.

Also in hardline without boosts during the beta if it was a CQB map my SPM was nutty if I got on a tear.

Throwing an incendiary on the cash pile in blood money and then shotgunning all who run is so much fun

edited March 2015

*snip*

*snip*

The catch-22 of this is that if you're on a team of all assault kits and they do keep reviving, they will be running out of ammo and in need of either an ammo crate or just not taking the revive (which, I will admit, depending on shooting accuracy, could result in a pretty big disparity in the k/d comparison between teams). Although, the thought of a 32-person team of knife-wielding (BF4) or baton-waving (Hardline) maniacs does appeal to me.

But, that's with the experience I've had with the game. And that experience excludes TDM/SDM. With Hardline, all I've ever played is Hotwire (where an ammo crate is invaluable just for the grenade resupply alone). In BF4, I stuck with Obliteration, CQ/CQL, Domination, and some Rush. So with that in mind, I fully acknowledge that my experience may be coloring my opinion of the support class (also, coloring my opinion of their value is that I've been an LMG whore since I first equipped the MG3 in Bad Company 2).

I'm not arguing that the support and recon kits aren't valuable, just that they are less valuable in infantry-centric maps versus the assault kit, respectively vehicle-centric maps versus the engineer kit (much less so in this case though). I say, purely in relation to *winning the round*, revives beat everything else - hence 90% of players chose the assault kit for these kinds of maps, which I think is very revealing of the flaw in the design.

In the scenario I described, where every kit type, regardless of customization, would have a limited supply of revives (let's say adrenaline syringes), and could refill syringes in the field from the assault kit's med bags, that balance flaw would be no more. Every kit brings revives to the game, and just like the support guy replenishing ammo and explosives, the assault kit would then merely refill revives, rather than being the sole kit capable of bringing back the dead.

The medic/assault kit isn't named *Jesus Kit* for nothing in Battlefield circles.

BranniganSepp on
    Eh, if you gave everyone some sort of revive capacity I think you'd just see a swing the other way where virtually no one played assault.

Class balance is always awkward in BF because the mechanics have to be simple and work for a really wide variety of maps. To be honest I kinda liked how the lean towards assault meant that most people used assault rifles in the military themed games.

edited March 2015
    Been running Recon all day. Finally unlocked Magnum rounds for both the AMW and the R700. Damn, they got nerfed hard. Magnum only deals 6%-16% damage on choppers now, given how much damage drop-off there is, that's pretty much 6% at all times. At least it's enough to shoo away pesky choppers, but hardly enough to down them, outside of killing the pilot outright. I guess that's fine by me. Should have reduced the asking price accordingly though. 100k per unlock for each gun is nothing to sneeze at.

BranniganSepp on
    edited March 2015
    Eh, if you gave everyone some sort of revive capacity I think you'd just see a swing the other way where virtually no one played assault.

Class balance is always awkward in BF because the mechanics have to be simple and work for a really wide variety of maps. To be honest I kinda liked how the lean towards assault meant that most people used assault rifles in the military themed games.

People love their assault rifles and med packs. The GLs are nothing to sneeze at either, and they've been rather tame in recent iterations outside of meatgrinder maps like Metro and Locker, they could easily be more lethal. Also - the assault kit could be upgraded in other ways, if people really would stop playing the kit (which they wouldn't, I think). I'd suggest replacing their sidearm with shotguns. Like for assaulting interiors and so.

BranniganSepp on