As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valve + HTC partnership

MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    WeIII, I wonder if this headset might have a kiIIIer game or similar for release.

Absalon on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I do wonder if that game has a 3 somewhere in its title.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I do wonder if that game has a 3 somewhere in its title.
    Left 4 D3ad and Portal 3, confirmed for 2016!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    countercountercounterstrike

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    VR portal 3 would make me vomit, I think.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Nah, Portal 2 was fine even on the first Oculus DK.
    And Half Life 2 on it was the only game that make nauseous.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    countercountercounterstrike

counter³strike

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg2gS6ShZw

Initial impressions are pretty positive

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    What is taking so long for these things to hit consumer market? It seems like everyone who makes these headsets, their business strategy is to find more venture capital thru more investors instead of releasing a product.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »
    What is taking so long for these things to hit consumer market? It seems like everyone who makes these headsets, their business strategy is to find more venture capital thru more investors instead of releasing a product.

These things take a lot of R&D to get right. They're not cheap to produce. The HTC/Valve one requires you mount two very large sensors at a 90 degree angle on the walls of your room. All of these things (well, except the Gear VR thing that Samsung is doing) require cables hooked up to your PC to work, and none of the hardware companies working on them want to ship before they've made the face computer part wireless.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    All of the companies making a VR headset also realize you only get one chance at it. If you release a product too soon and it isn't good, then the chances that you convince someone to try it again later diminish severely.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Foomy wrote: »
    All of the companies making a VR headset also realize you only get one chance at it. If you release a product too soon and it isn't good, then the chances that you convince someone to try it again later diminish severely.

That's their spin - I don't believe it.

Can anyone provide original and technical reasons for the delays? I don't want to hear what they are saying, regurgitated.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    If you don't believe they are not happy with the product as they could make it right now.....why don't you dig up the real reasons and get back to us.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Getting motion sickness right is tricky. Getting PCs to render to these things smoothly is tricky (i.e. windows drivers are rough when it's your whole field of vision - getting setup with my DK2 for Elite:Dangerous was tricky).

I'd be willing to bet that software is a big sticking point - drivers. The experience they'd be targeting is "I want to play this - *click* - and then you put on the headset, and without flicker or non-3D rendering the game loads up on the headset".

We're not there yet.