As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I have to report that the succubus is no more.

She fell to a cowardly ambush to a giant hellbeast covered in razor sharp fangs and iron fur (my wife's poodle was a douchebag and stole her off my painting table while I was at work today).

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Truly, the winds of Chaos are fickle.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So how's the search for a new dog going?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm soliciting opinions again. I bought the FW character conversion kit, And I really like the power fist and bionic parts. Would it be overkill to have a model with the bionic legs and a bionic arm and head? They are all on the same side of the body, so it makes it look like he was wounded in battle on that side of his body.

Or, I could split them up, and give more marines bionic parts, which would be more representative of the SM's from the fluff.

I was planning to have Drusus Gaul, the character I did for @TraceofToxin 's Deathwatch army. I was planning to make him a veteran sergeant. Maybe he was the one who got hurt so grievously during a Deathwatch mission. And the rebuilt him because of his service and heroism. They had the archeotech. They made him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster.

Or maybe this is a different character who I can give his own story to.

EDIT: Eh, that bionic head is too busy. I probably won't use it.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So how's the search for a new dog going?

He only got 3 models, so it's not huge.

But he's been sentenced to poodle jail while my wife and I aren't in the house. My sheppard has taken to eating her raw hide bones just outside his prison door.

I got a bonus today, though, so I'm gonna go pick up that new plastic Succubus, a box of warriors to fill out one squad and make some Trueborn and another box of Reavers to make a full squad. And maybe pick up that cool new Haemonculous model.

Also also, has anyone seen those WHFB Wrathmongers? Would those make decent bases for some Grotesques?

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm currently working on a Coven themed DE army, so I'll pipe in here :)

Wrathmongers are cool, but they have a lot of Khorne stuff on them. I've found the WHFB Crypt Horrors are a much better base model. Just use left over Talos bits to Coven them up.

My two squads of Grotesques will be a mix of converted Rat Ogres and Crypt Horrors, with a couple of the official model thrown in for good measure.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I still think the Skaven Stormfiends would be the best base for Grotesques (aside from the IoB Rat Ogres)

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Put pictures of them here, in my eyes!

As for the Wrathmongers, I have no problem filing down the Khorne stuff, I'm just intimidated at the ammount of greenstuff work I think I'd have to do with the Horrors.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Dayspring - Personally I find the the Stormfiends are WAY too big and armoured to be used as Grotesques. They might make a good counts-as Talos or something, but they are huuuge.

Put pictures of them here, in my eyes!

As for the Wrathmongers, I have no problem filing down the Khorne stuff, I'm just intimidated at the ammount of greenstuff work I think I'd have to do with the Horrors.

I think the Wrathmongers would take more work, the Horrors just really require a Coven Helmet at minimum to look like Grotesques. Anything beyond that is flair.

My coven army is really me picking it up again after shelving it when 6th edition hit, so a large part of it is stuff I was working on years ago. I still haven't really started to dig into newer models I want to make.

But here's where I left off in 2011:
    grotesques_wip_01.jpg
    grotesques_wip_02.jpg
    army-progress-03.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    I'm not sure why I'm so stuck on the wrathmongers, I don't even know how big they are.

I really like the Storm Vermin, but they're real damn big and the IoB Rat Ogres are an idea I want to play with too. And I lovelovelove the actual grotesque model, but he's only one pose and I think it's real fucking dumb GW only made the one.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm going to do something like this when I covert up a couple Crypt Horrors

8673881527_3d3f1c5af1.jpg
    9cbfe7427c1f6f494a3bed039c6ba95a_68295.jpg__thumb
    c2K1ACn.jpg?1

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Stormfiends should be the same size as Rat Ogres, right?
    Also looking at the sprue pictures I think you can leave the big chest armour pieces off.

I've not seen them in the flesh though so I might be way off base

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Stormfiends should be the same size as Rat Ogres, right?
    Also looking at the sprue pictures I think you can leave the big chest armour pieces off.

I've not seen them in the flesh though so I might be way off base

I haven't seen them in person either, but most pictures I see online show them to be almost twice as tall as the IoB Rat Ogres.

They don't seem much taller than the Crypt Horrors, but they are way bulkier which makes them seem much larger.

Personally I'm not a fan. They would make great Pain Engines though :)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Dayspring - Personally I find the the Stormfiends are WAY too big and armoured to be used as Grotesques. They might make a good counts-as Talos or something, but they are huuuge.

There's also these that are based on Hordes Legion of Everblight Warspears.

Grotesques_WIP_1.JPG

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    I shall try to post pictures as I go. A little each night.

mFGhZFC.jpg

I'm pretty excited to see this finished, @J. I think the yellow and rust is working out great.

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Love all the DE love this and the 40k thread have been getting recently. I'm finishing up painting another 10 kabalites today, then it is back to coven stuff to fill out the force.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    How do you guys bend the little teeny tiny brass etch symbols from Forge World? Or have any of you got this stuff?

EDIT: Actually, Google is my friend. Bending it around the handle of a paint brush is recommended. Or other rounded shape, depending on which one you're using.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Brass etch can be tough to apply to curved surfaces. I usually try to bend it roughly into shape using a paintbrush or similar, then dry fit it and press/smooth it out using a hard rubber pencil eraser before gluing it down.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    I have brass compass bars for my Infinity bases. I bend them around something a bit smaller than the base, like a big pen for the 25mm bars.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Brass etch sheets are usually made from cold rolled brass, which is naturally work-hardened by the rolling process. You can anneal hardened brass to make it really soft and ductile using a gas hob or a kitchen blowtorch or similar by heating it until it glows then letting it cool, but you have to be really careful with very thin parts or you'll just melt them.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Keenbean, what is the name of that air brush primer you swear by? Since I have an airbrush, it may as well pull double duty.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Vallejo Surface Primer.

I'm swearing for him.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm trying to order it off Amazon, and I keep seeing a p[age listing all the surface primers, that say acrylic-polyurethane, and then when I click on the one I want, it just shows White Primer, and says acrylic-urethane. Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-White-Primer-Acrylic-Polyurethane/dp/B004BMZVBQ/ref=sr_1_4?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1427072017&sr=1-4&keywords=vallejo+surface+primer

Is that the same?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hello, Painting Thread.

Here's some terrible photos of poorly painted Space Marines...

img_1966_zpstfzirzbu.jpg
    img_1965_zpsj3m7dx6h.jpg

I think the one on the left was the first mini I ever painted, then the one on the right was maybe the 4th. I've gone back and done a couple of touch ups here and there.

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Look way better than my first minis for sure. Gotta drill out them bolters though!

@valhalla130 those are the ones. I'm pretty sure Vallejo only make the one type.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just verified it has the same product number as the bottle I have, which reads Surface Primer. You're good.

• Options
    Thanks, guys.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    As an intermission from the more time consuming painting of Warmachine and Malifaux miniatures, I've decided to paint up the COG figures from the Gears of War boardgame. I am mainly doing this because every time we play, the wrong figure invariably gets moved because all but Cole look pretty much the same if you aren't looking closely.

However, I don't want to spend a lot of time on these, so I am going for "GI Joe" quality paint jobs. So, I'll stop with a simple base coat and wash. Maaaybe a quick edge highlight. But I am trying not to be concerned about picking out little details (buttons, knife handles, buckles). I'm also not following the scheme from the game, as they'd all look the same ... going for a different armor color for each COG.

I will be interested to see if I really can stop and be done once I have a basic color scheme down ...

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    finished up Uzas:

e0f03f2b-2909-48cf-afbe-bec569b73c8f_zpssgunxnep.jpg
    IMG_00121_zpscjigeriq.jpg

IMG_00131_zpsqztnz2xd.jpg

really happy with how he came out. the cloak of flesh was a cut down bit from a chaos warrior built up around the shoulders with greenstuff.

this also means first claw are now finished! a lot of time and money went into them, but for my first project in 20 years and my first time attempting any kind of shading or conversion i couldn't be happier

76e0d990-94bd-45e7-98a2-713b8e0e5c85_zpswmhjpfav.jpg

L - R: Mercutian, Uzas, Variel, Talos, Cyrion and Xarl
    fa6ecf62-506f-472a-9a72-fd1a5cfcbf28_zpsrkc0qtwu.jpg

IMG_00241_zpsflawi5ff.jpg

manji on
  • Options
    Isn't there a space marine head with a beard somewhere?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Plastic Librarian:
    99070101002_SpaceMarineLibrarianNEW01.jpg

Plastic Sternguard:
    99120101104_SternguardVeteransNEW03.jpg

Also every Space Wolf head ever.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SneakypersonSneakyperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    woo base is off Tech Priest and he looks badass on the new one
    IMG_0003_zpspxsamdiy.jpg

Sneakyperson on
  • Options
    Sternguard
    CA14wDSUgAADzOr.jpg

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Four days and fifteen hours of painting later... all of these little assholes have everything base-coated. At least now I have something I feel that I can throw on the table for some games.

Poorly light Night Lords behind the spoilers!
    8ownoghqeuof.jpg
    kyane2g234mf.jpg
    pxofakspezsk.jpg
    4vdlof5cne5z.jpg
    fsjz5x2vlmc3.jpg

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    That librarian's cherub is metal as fuck.

• Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    @valhalla130 Greyhunter space wolv box comes with copious amounts of beard heads.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Got the Dark Vengence starter box for 40k right next to me. Assemble first than paint or paint stuff then assemble?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Assemble all and don't glue, play with them to get motivated, then glue and paint in squads of five.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Paint and then assemble. A few posts up I have pictures of Space Marines I got in the Assault on Black Reach box that were assembled first and there are all kinds of nooks and crannies that are impossible to get to.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Mayday wrote: »
    Assemble all and don't glue, play with them to get motivated, then glue and paint in squads of five.

Ah if you dont glue them you can take them apart again? Niiice.

Lind on
This discussion has been closed.