As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 03/18/15 - Auntie Monica's not ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ laughing.

Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in Graphic Violence
Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #6 was pretty awesome this week.
x49vVD2.png
BWoDvTV.png

Centipede Damascus on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Did...did she have a whole power up sequence just to put on a coat?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    IIRC, her costume is energy made into matter, so she turned into energy and turned back to manifest her coat.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I would've just put on a coat.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    And change her hair. Can you change your hair just by thinking about it? No.

fwU6FfQ.jpg
    Earth 2: World's End #24: I'm very sad that they had to job Val-Zod to make this moment happen and I'm worried that he's not on the cover of Earth 2: Society, but this was a great moment for Power Girl.
    hnwul4H.jpg
    Green Lantern New Guardians #40: So Kyle shuffles off
    to die in Omega Men #1
    , but before he goes he leaves the universe with a single Blue Lantern and several White Lanterns, each who hold a bit of the Life Equation. Good end to a meandering series at times.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It is pretty fucked up that they lightened Monica's skin significantly.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Tmnt

Noooo

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the Mighty Avengers spoiler? Like what's the significance?

• Options
    Have you read Nextwave?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Can someone explain the Mighty Avengers spoiler? Like what's the significance?

It's very meta. Monica's character got revived in Nextwave, where they fought the Beyond Corporation. The continuity of the series has always been a bit iffy, although there have been plenty of references to it in other titles. The speech is riffing on that, from the perspective of someone who got semi-rebooted in a non-continuity title where some stuff stuck and some was waved off as jokey nonsense.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    The way I understand it, they have been hinting that the characters from Nextwave (Monica, Elsa Bloodstone, Boom Boom, and Machine Man) all believe it occured for some reason. But it didn't. Why this is the case no one knows.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ahh okay.

Guessing the costume is her Next Wave version?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ahh okay.

Guessing the costume is her Next Wave version?

YUP. Well, the coat is the wrong color, but basically yes.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I would say that it is reminiscent of the Nextwave costume, mainly the coat, hair, and headband.

monicarambeaufff377_thumb.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is just that specific colorist

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The way I understand it, they have been hinting that the characters from Nextwave (Monica, Elsa Bloodstone, Boom Boom, and Machine Man) all believe it occured for some reason. But it didn't. Why this is the case no one knows.

The issue seems to imply that
    the Beyond Corporation is related to the Beyonders. Like they're a splinter faction of jerk Beyonders who just like to mess with people. Like Mr. Mxyptlk, but more of them, and meaner.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    No shit? That's kind of a nice way to retcon it without really being a hindrance to the original or future stories.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    I love the fact that Nextwave, despite being officially unofficial, was so much damn fun that creators continue to try and cram it in there. Say what you will about Warren Ellis, but give the man carte blanche and you're almost guaranteed to strike gold.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

I doubt that was deliberate.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I doubt that was deliberate.

It never is.

• Options
    Well, sometimes it is.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Other times, there's poor communication and maybe subconscious racism, like that Mr, Miracle thing from the seven soldiers series.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Axel Alonso adressed this, he said the only reason Ron was asked was because he was just one of 5 artists working on the issue and the color he used was apparently noticeably darker than the other 4 artists so he was asked to lighten it so that the art would remain consistent throughout the issue

Which doesn't seem that racist to me?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    What I thought was interesting was that in the AiC column that responded to that piece, they include a page from Wimberly's story in that issue:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=39962&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=60378

To my eye, she doesn't actually look noticeably darker there than she does in Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire's page here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=39957&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=60378

Or Ian Bertram and Ian Herring's page here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=39958&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=60378

However, I do think she looks oddly light-skinned in this page by Ariela Kristantina and Sonia Oback:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=39956&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=60378

I think it's important to realize when you might have been racist without meaning to. Was the editor doing that here? Maybe. I thought that Wimberly's article was fairly good at not accusing anyone, but the insinuation that you might have been racist, even without meaning to, gets people on the defensive very quickly.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I love the fact that Marvel wont forget NextWAVE happened. Keeps the hope alive for a second season of NextWAVE.

Now...NOW...reunite the team. Bring in the Captain, Tabitha, Elsa, and Machine Man for some epic ass kicking.

Psychotic One on