As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Friday, March 20, 2015 - Finality

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Robotic DraconianRobotic Draconian Registered User regular
    Pretty much.

• TFXRavenTFXRaven Galactic Emperor Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I LOVE the style in this comic.

• DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. So great to finally play FFXV. It makes me very happy.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Oh man I love the art in this.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The freckles get more distracting each time, but otherwise the 'new' art is great. I love the subtle change in depth as Tycho comes closer to the couch.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Is that the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo?"

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    On a whim I went out and bought Type-0 yesterday. Then I decided to sell my XV Demo code because I'm sure it'll be available without a code eventually and/or free. I got $30 for it on a "Buy It Now!" price on eBay less than an hour after posting it.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This is my experience exactly.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I've avoided buying Type-0 exactly for this reason. There's something about that game :(

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Type-0 is really a train wreck, story and presentation wise.
    It charges out of the gate dumping around 30 minutes of near impenetrable terminology-soaked FMV sequences on you until you get to actual gameplay.
    The first hour after that is pretty much a tutorial.
    The writing is cringe-worthy, the characters bland and predictable, it's essentially Final Fantasy mixed with a high school drama + war stuff going on.

The gameplay itself is pretty good though, solid action RPG, lots of character customization and advancement, good fights, mechanics that mesh well. Since it's a Vita game though, the environments are pretty small and you have to load into them constantly, which isn't much of an issue.

It's an average game in my opinion.

Personally, I've been looking at Bravely Default as the successor to the Final Fantasy legacy.

Soul Sanctum on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    "Is that the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo?"

to be fair, I did go back and beat Zone of the Enders 1 afterwards...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Just to add to this in case Mike is reading: you're REALLY stepping up your game. It's a fairly simple strip (no real background, spartan detailing on the couch), but you're breathing new life into the character designs.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    "MGS2 Demo - Comes with a free Zone of Enders game"
    I'm getting a Bert and Ernie vibe in the first panel.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    +1 to all the art comments -- Looks incredible. I especially like how dynamic all of Gabe is over the course of 3 panels.

76561197966849367.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I just came here to say I love the art.

• BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    Love the shading, colors, angles, expressions, and so much love for the art! ^ ^

• GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    Thanks for the art love it is much appreciated. Still pushing myself and trying new stuff but I'm really happy with the progress so far:)

• MagicalGoatsMagicalGoats Registered User regular
    Thanks for the art! It is just so colorful.

Type 0 fell into the same trap,in my opinion, as Valkyria Chronicles 2. Any time you try to mix war, with a school, it doesn't seem to work. War functions better as a setting, than just flavor for a setting. School can be a great setting, war can be a great setting. A school during war could be a great setting. Probably a psychological game. But splitting the setting, school for one moment, then war the next, does both of them a disservice. The school is a safe-house, war can't get me here. The war can't touch the safe zone, most of the time due to gameplay constraints, which diminishes the war to just being an afternoon picnic activity.

I haven't tried XV, holding off until a full release, and enough time to pass where critics can give me a more accurate read. Maybe it's the old person in me finally getting to come out and play, but unless it's a Deadlands game in the vein of Fallout: New Vegas, I'm afraid you're going to have to compete with my backlog.

There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that cannot be improved with pizza.
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    After my dislike of "Thuh Air Wood" comics, it's nice to see stuff like this. This is stunning and completely unexpected.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Type 0 fell into the same trap,in my opinion, as Valkyria Chronicles 2.

I actually REALLY liked Valkyria Chronicles 2's story. It wasn't much, but it was interesting. It definitely has a weird "visual novel" vibe to it. I like that in Type-0 you have that countdown so while it's a safe zone, you can't just infinitely screw around. I really love the "school drama mixed with war" concept though.

Btw, if you're waiting for FFXV's final release to come out, I'd definitely sell that code on eBay then.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Am I the only one who bought ZoE because they thought it looked awesome and had little to no interest in MGS2? Zone of the Enders is such an underrated series.
    Type-0 is really a train wreck, story and presentation wise.<snip>
    The first hour after that is pretty much a tutorial.
    The writing is cringe-worthy, the characters bland and predictable, it's essentially Final Fantasy mixed with a high school drama + war stuff going on.

So it's a stealth remake of FFVIII?
    The gameplay itself is pretty good though, solid action RPG, lots of character customization and advancement, good fights, mechanics that mesh well.

Well, at least they fixed that aspect.
    Personally, I've been looking at Bravely Default as the successor to the Final Fantasy legacy.

X was the last one I really loved, for some reason I just haven't been as into the series as I used to be since then. I mean, I've heard good things about XI and XIV, and XII turned out to be good, but none of them really wowed me like most of I-X did. I even feel that way about the side-series stuff; I LOVED FF:T, and FF:MQ was fun despite being very simple and easy (plus it had the most rockin' Final Fantasy music ever), FF:TA was cool, but not what I wanted out of the Tactics sub-series... I don't really count Legends I-III (seeing as they were actually SaGa games) or Adventure (Seiken Densetsu/Mana series).

Pretty much the only ones I've played since then that really got me excited where the III and IV DS/PSP/iPhone remakes and Dimensions. Maybe I'm just old but I'm definitely on board with the "Bravely Default is the true successor" school of thought.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Ryuujin76Ryuujin76 Registered User regular
    How did Tycho manage to break an Epyx 500XJ? Those things were fucking durable. I swung one of those by the cord into a wall once, and all that broke was the wall. (I don't remember exactly why. Maybe failing Rocket Ranger mini games repeatedly?)

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Holy crap. The art in this is so subtle yet it gives this so much life. Yeah-I'm pretty inspired by Mike's progress. I need to get Frenden's brushes.

• wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    I love platformers. (Particularly Metroidvania games, I have a physical SNES console plugged in next to me as I type this and I'm thinking that maybe I need to play though Super Metroid again.) I beat Ori and the Bling Forest in 12 hours, though 2 of that was sitting in the pause menu while I did other things, and 2 of it was backtracking to get powerups.

It's a hard game, but the good kind of hard. Like Meat Boy hard. The controls are super tight and when you fail it's because you didn't play well enough, not because RNG killed you and not because the game just wasn't responsive enough to do what you wanted it to do. When you finally beat the escape sequences you feel good. They feel too long when you're playing them and failing, but they feel just right when you finally beat them.

The devs might consider putting in a lower difficulty that puts some checkpoints into the escape sequences for the gamers who are not used to playing games when they used to be hard on purpose. (Like the Atari, NES, and SNES days.)

Ori and the Blind Forest is an absolutely fantastic game in the true old school vein.

• JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Yeah i'm playing Ori right now, a few hours in and loving it.
    Ori and the Bling Forest

Yeah it really is bling, such colour

I had a problem with the controls to start with: the trigger input on my controller would not respond. Turns out having 2 controllers plugged in at once was the culprit.

Jimbo on
    404 not found
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Gabriel wrote: »
    Thanks for the art love it is much appreciated. Still pushing myself and trying new stuff but I'm really happy with the progress so far:)

That's a fine avatar change

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

The greatest thing about Penny-Arcade has been watching your art evolve over time :)

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

I adore Tycho's face in the first panel. It really feels like he was just walking past, sees Gabe playing and is going "bwuh?"

I got a ton of enjoyment and humor just out of the expressions. Really liked the expressions as Gabe was jerking back and forth while playing. It felt "right".

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Zone of the Enders is the sickest.