As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures of Lagertha ft Ragnar [Vikings]

2»

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    The show's treatment of language is really well executed. The way they switch languages depending on the context generally works really smoothly.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Episode 2
    The pan from the heads on the boat to Ragnar's big grin... amazing.

Favorite moment of the entire series so far. Ragnar makes every bad guy on Game of Thrones look like cowards.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Season 3, Episode 4

So, uh, the Wanderer
    is a wizard or Loki or something? He's got more than political powers, I'll tell you that much.

Also: (HUUUUGE spoiler)
    You killed Siggy! You bastards! Siggy was the best!

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    yeah that was a weird episode, don't know what to think of it yet tbh.

huuueeeg spoiler same as Dracomicron's
    out-of-nowhere Siggy. what the actual fuck.

really clashed with the almost comical duo of
    Ragnar end Eclebert being king-bros.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    All the stuff in England at the end of the episode was grand.
    Loved Ecbert and Ragnar's conversation, and loved the Queen's Toast. the only thing I kind of wished happened was that conversation between Lagertha and Athelstan, they haven't done much together outside of being their own wingmen.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The toast:
    Nobody even really batted an eye at Kwentrith's brother being poisoned. Crazy princess murders her favorite brother? Yep, that tracks. They just all dumped out their cups with a sort of "Welp, that happened" expression.

• Options
    I am shaking my fist at so many people this episode.
    Ragnar! Why did you not murder Kalf in cold blood to make your ex-wife happy?
    Ecbert! I can forgive murdering a bunch of defenseless unnamed Norsefolk in order to pin it on your unreliable nobles, but you BETTER have a plan to make nice with Ragnar before your Corrupt Monarch Duo Comedy Tour.
    Rollo! If you try to betray Ragnar again, I'm gonna be so disappointed. Siggy died. I'm sad, you're sad, get over it. People die.
    Porunn! Stop being petulant, baby. You still got it where it counts: facial scarring don't stop you from being a badass shield maiden.
    Odin! I get your interest in Auslaug, I do, but losing Siggy was too high a price. Keep it in your breeches, pops.

• Options
    Rollo
    I would not be suprised if he ends up in some sort of leadership position in England or Paris. Like, Ragnar is going to need someone he can trust (nominally) that will have the Vikings' interests at heart.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Rollo
    I would not be suprised if he ends up in some sort of leadership position in England or Paris. Like, Ragnar is going to need someone he can trust (nominally) that will have the Vikings' interests at heart.
    The bear will marry a princess ...

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Rollo
    The bear will marry a princess ...
    The bear is Bjorn. "Bjorn" = "bear"

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Rollo

You could look up the historical rollo and see.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Where's the fun in that?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I've avoided wikipedia articles on the various viking figures since I started the show, which was not easy let me tell you.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    rollo's in particular is pretty hilarious based on where the character is now.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Edit: I fail at BBcode. Shaaaame.
    On Siggy: I honestly don't think Harbard/Odin had anything to do with her actually dying.

Think back a bit. Ubbe and his brother were already gonna run off to that lake. They were whispering about it. Siggy's children may have died but her maternal instincts did not ("I do not know why, but I am frightened! I must find them!"). She ran where her gut told her to run. She dived in to that frigid water and when she hoisted Ubbe out, she saw an image of her dead daughter, clothed in white and glowing. Siggy's daughter took her hand as if to pull her out, but Siggy let go and she dived back in and fished out Ubbe's brother. This time the camera showed the viewers Harbard/Odin, sitting in exactly the same spot and position as Siggy's dead daughter.

Guys, he didn't kill her. She was already dying when she surfaced the first time. The camera was just showing the viewer the reality. Her dying act was to save the second son. Harbard/Odin didn't pull her out because she was already dead and it would have needlessly risked the two kids' lives.

GoldenSeducer on
  • Options
    Edit: I fail at BBcode. Shaaaame.
    On Siggy: I honestly don't think Harbard/Odin had anything to do with her actually dying.

Think back a bit. Ubbe and his brother were already gonna run off to that lake. They were whispering about it. Siggy's children may have died but her maternal instincts did not ("I do not know why, but I am frightened! I must find them!"). She ran where her gut told her to run. She dived in to that frigid water and when she hoisted Ubbe out, she saw an image of her dead daughter, clothed in white and glowing. Siggy's daughter took her hand as if to pull her out, but Siggy let go and she dived back in and fished out Ubbe's brother. This time the camera showed the viewers Harbard/Odin, sitting in exactly the same spot and position as Siggy's dead daughter.

Guys, he didn't kill her. She was already dying when she surfaced the first time. The camera was just showing the viewer the reality. Her dying act was to save the second son. Harbard/Odin didn't pull her out because she was already dead and it would have needlessly risked the two kids' lives.

Hmpf.
    I wonder why two boys wandered off to a frozen lake, only a short time after two boys were found dead in a fisherman's net from the middle of the fjord. Odin's magic requires sacrifice, and what more appropriate sacrifice than two boys... he has two adventuresome sons of his own, right? If only there were a professional tale-teller that was visiting Kattagat who could make suggestions for fatal adventures to young lads...

When Siggy foiled the sacrifice, she gave herself up in exchange. It's a pretty fair trade, Siggy's entire family was dead and she went out in a baller way, which would've pleased the old man, I think.

But no, Harbard put Siggy in that position, he essentially killed her. Not that I argue with him; he's the Allfather and can do what he wants. I can, however, be annoyed with him for killing one of my favorite characters.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    So wait were there two episodes last night? After the main episode there seemed to be like an hour long clipshow and I don't understand why

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    I only had one new episode on Hulu.

It gave me the sads.
    Aethelstan... :sad:

• Options
    Latest episode
    Like, I get that Athelstan felt reborn in his faith, and that's cool. But why toss the bracelet? That wasn't a sign of the Norse gods... that was a symbol of loyalty to Ragnar. Sure, Ragnar would pretty much love Athelstan no matter what, but tossing the bracelet was pretty dumb on his part. And then it of course gave Floki the mental ammo he needed to finally get rid of Athelstan.

I'm just curious as to why Ragnar doesn't give a crap about the settlement in England.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Latest episode
    Like, I get that Athelstan felt reborn in his faith, and that's cool. But why toss the bracelet? That wasn't a sign of the Norse gods... that was a symbol of loyalty to Ragnar. Sure, Ragnar would pretty much love Athelstan no matter what, but tossing the bracelet was pretty dumb on his part. And then it of course gave Floki the mental ammo he needed to finally get rid of Athelstan.

I'm just curious as to why Ragnar doesn't give a crap about the settlement in England.

Actually
    He very much DOES give many crap about the Wessex settlement, but it's gone and they're about to attack their most ambitious target yet. Better that nobody in Kattegat knows about Ragnar's failed venture before he leads like half of the warriors in the region into unknown territory, thought to be impregnable.

Of course, Ragnar has learned a little something about impregnation, and the truth coming out before he's ready leads to people leaving him.
    I can't believe I just wrote that fucking sentence
    Anyway, there is zero percent chance that Ragnar considers the matter of Wessex closed, and Ecbert better have a hell of an angle to avoid a messy Viking death.

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    latest episode
    Ragnar's eulogy made me cry like a wee child

rip in peace buddy :(

• Options
    k0WFZZV.png

So wrong, yet so hilarious.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Floki is such a Chandler.

Floki: could I BE any more viking?

Ragnar: I know I am married to the hottest girl in the world but how YOU doin'?

Lagertha: You know, if we were in prison you would be my bitches!

Rollo: PIVOT!

• Options
    The women in this show are so improbably gorgeous.

Like, I know that Scandinavians are all beautiful people (I read that on the internet somewhere), but this is, like the ninth century. The womenfolk shouldn't all have perfect skin, glowing hair, and pearly teeth. Most of the guys are grizzled as fuck.

Katheryn Winneck as Lagertha, in particular, is like a gender-swapped Baldr, just unbelievably gorgeous. with perfect lighting at all times. And Siggy and Helga (the latter played by the exec producer's daughter) are not people I would kick out of bed for eating crackers, either. It's somewhat amusing that I find the professional model playing Auslaug to be the least attractive female member of the main cast.

Even now that they've
    introduced real magic and true prophesy
    to the show, I find that the attractiveness of the cast is the least believable thing. And I'm okay with this.

• Options
    Bwa ha ha
    Earl Kalf: "Hey Lagertha we should bone.'
    Lagertha: "Okay but I hate you and will murder you."
    Earl Kalf: "Deal!"

• Options
    That was a fucking incredible siege. Better than Blackwater in GoT, stacks right up with Helm's Deep.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    That was a fucking incredible siege. Better than Blackwater in GoT, stacks right up with Helm's Deep.

I just kept getting a sicker and sicker feeling during the episode.
    Like, I kept expecting the tide to turn at some point, but it never did. I actually figured that the ground assault was going to break through due to Lagertha's awesomeness and then provide an opening for the sea invasion, or maybe Rollo was going to take the princess hostage or something. But they lost, handily.

Seeing Bjorn get hit was confusing. Historical spoilers
    He looked dead at first, but I know from history that he goes on to be a major player in the sagas, outliving his father. When he turned out to be messed-up-but-alive at the end of the episode, I was inexplicably relieved.

And then you find out that the entire failed assault was Ragnar's plan to humble Floki for killing Aethelstan. We did know that he was playing some game by putting Floki in charge of the attack, but Ragnar's gone off the deep end if he is willing to sacrifice hundreds of Viking lives just to make a point when he could've, you know, just murdered Floki or whatever.

I actually was expecting something way different. Historical!
    One of the tricks used in the Viking sagas to take tough targets was to have their leader claim to want to convert to Christianity, then, when the defenses were down, the leader would open the gate and let the Vikings stream in. With Ragnar wearing Aethelstan's cross and dressing like a monk, I figured this was the direction they were going. They still might, I suppose.

• Options
    edited April 2015

I just kept getting a sicker and sicker feeling during the episode.
    Like, I kept expecting the tide to turn at some point, but it never did. I actually figured that the ground assault was going to break through due to Lagertha's awesomeness and then provide an opening for the sea invasion, or maybe Rollo was going to take the princess hostage or something. But they lost, handily.

Seeing Bjorn get hit was confusing. Historical spoilers
    He looked dead at first, but I know from history that he goes on to be a major player in the sagas, outliving his father. When he turned out to be messed-up-but-alive at the end of the episode, I was inexplicably relieved.

And then you find out that the entire failed assault was Ragnar's plan to humble Floki for killing Aethelstan. We did know that he was playing some game by putting Floki in charge of the attack, but Ragnar's gone off the deep end if he is willing to sacrifice hundreds of Viking lives just to make a point when he could've, you know, just murdered Floki or whatever.

I actually was expecting something way different. Historical!
    One of the tricks used in the Viking sagas to take tough targets was to have their leader claim to want to convert to Christianity, then, when the defenses were down, the leader would open the gate and let the Vikings stream in. With Ragnar wearing Aethelstan's cross and dressing like a monk, I figured this was the direction they were going. They still might, I suppose.
    As I see it, Ragnar mainly used Kalf and other groups, so he killed two birds with one stone. He diminished Kalf's forces tremendously, learned a lot about Paris' defenses, and he doesn't have to take any of the blame. Ragnar likely felt a loss was inevitable on their first try no matter what, but it would lull the Parisians into a false sense of security he'll later exploit. He would have liked to win, of course, but the defeat is still a win-win for him. He's always thinking about the long game, which is what makes him so capable. I wouldn't be surprised if the monk bluff happens next week, they've been foreshadowing something with that cross, and shaving his head would go along with it too.

Bubby on
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    That siege was fantastic.

If you've ever wanted to see a man lose his sanity/faith in the gods while babbling Old Norse inside of a burning tower

well this show has that

• Options
    I would like to point out that, historically,
    Paris had 200 men-at-arms in that fight. Against thousands of Vikings. It was probably even more one-sided in reality than what we saw.

• Options
    Ha! That Ecbert dinner scene
    Ecbert and his son just dropping Mean Girls bombs at each other, and Judith is sitting there going, "This shit is mad freaky, yo."

• Options
    oh boy. German tv is now catching up on the Vikingy hype train.

except... well, German tv sucks.

coming up on the dreaded blood eagle scene. for German viewers the episode ends when Ragnar steps behind Jarl Borg.

voice over "that was it for Vikings today". fucking teases.

fun: next up: Saw IV.

oi vey.

• Options
    Wow, German TV censorship sounds awful. Like some sort of... 1940s... totalitarian... dictator. Or something.

Anyways, I don't know what it is about Ragnar that makes everyone want to stab him in the back, but Jarl Borg certainly learned that Ragnar? He stabs backs, back.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So Ragnar is going to fake his death and have a huge group of his men walk his body into the city for a Christian funeral, wake up, and then sack the city. Seems incredibly obvious to me and I'll be gobsmacked if it doesn't go down that way. They could easily do all of it in 30 minutes and leave 15 for returning to Kattegat and setting up the smack down of Ecbert for S4. Ragnar healing from broken ribs and internal bleeding will be hand waved away with a supernatural explanation.

Bubby on
  • Options
    So Ragnar is going to fake his death and have a huge group of his men walk his body into the city for a Christian funeral, wake up, and then sack the city. Seems incredibly obvious to me and I'll be gobsmacked if it doesn't go down that way. They could easily do all of it in 30 minutes and leave 15 for returning to Kattegat and setting up the smack down of Ecbert for S4. Ragnar healing from broken ribs and internal bleeding will be hand waved away with a supernatural explanation.

The history on this is so wacky, so I don't know what is going to happen next.
    Ragnar's Siege of Paris in 845 ended in sacking the city, but Rollo's siege in 860 ended in failure. It's Rollo's siege that was repulsed by Count Odo, so I think that the writers are merging the two events (intentionally, this is the History Channel we're talking about). Rollo also eventually settles in Normandy, so all these Significant Looks with that Carolingian princess may be going somewhere.

• Options

Ragnar's Siege of Paris in 845 ended in sacking the city, but Rollo's siege in 860 ended in failure. It's Rollo's siege that was repulsed by Count Odo, so I think that the writers are merging the two events (intentionally, this is the History Channel we're talking about). Rollo also eventually settles in Normandy, so all these Significant Looks with that Carolingian princess may be going somewhere.
    They're likely merging the two. Hirst likes to stick to history but takes some detours and liberties along the way. The show could theoretically go on for a really long time, past Ragnar's death delving into the conquests of Bjorn and the rest of his sons, but Fimmel carries the entire thing on his back and who knows if the ratings would keep up without him. I think it could transition past him - Ecbert's entire plot has only worked because of how good Linus Roache is, so if they found the right actor it's doable. The guy who plays Bjorn isn't leading man material, though. He's fine for a supporting part but he doesn't have an iota the unhinged authenticity Fimmel brings to the table.

• Options

They're likely merging the two. Hirst likes to stick to history but takes some detours and liberties along the way. The show could theoretically go on for a really long time, past Ragnar's death delving into the conquests of Bjorn and the rest of his sons, but Fimmel carries the entire thing on his back and who knows if the ratings would keep up without him. I think it could transition past him - Ecbert's entire plot has only worked because of how good Linus Roache is, so if they found the right actor it's doable. The guy who plays Bjorn isn't leading man material, though. He's fine for a supporting part but he doesn't have an iota the unhinged authenticity Fimmel brings to the table.

True enough. They have plenty of opportunity to mess with the actors involved, though, as the period of time these sagas are supposed to have played out over is quite long. I think the most interesting "adult" casting will be Ivar the Boneless.
    I could see the show eventually losing Ragnar (assuming he goes out as awesomely as he did in real life, and they've built up his sons enough), but I'm dreading the point where Lagertha dies of old age (because she can't possibly die in battle, right?). Will I survive a Winneck-less incarnation of Vikings?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Some historical nitpicking...
    The historical Rollo sieged Paris in 880. He wasn't even out of his diapers when Ragnar (who may or may not have been the semi-mythical Ragnar Lothbrok. A viking "top 100 babyname" list would probably have Sigurd and Ragnar among the top 10) attacked Paris.
    He might have participated in some of the later raids during the 860s that the Franks ransomed off, but the big siege which he actually commanded was in 885-886.

Overall I like the twist. Didn't expect it when the character was introduced, but it's something they can play with a lot. Pretty much playing into and counter to history at will.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden