As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GV10: [Results] Best Comic Book TV Show

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The Flash, Agent Carter and Justice League Unlimited if it counts

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    One more for the pile - Wolverine and the X-Men

There's no shortage of X-Men cartoons out there, but this one has my vote for the best. The show managed to do for the X-Men what Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did for the Avengers, package the classic stories with decent animation and writing to make them feel fresh. And just like A:EMH, it was a cancelled way too early. One more season, and we'd have gotten the show's take on Age of Apocalypse.

Random fun fact - This show is in the same continuity as Avengers:EMH.

How could I forget this, it was one of the last times I was really on the edge of my seat to see how a cartoon played out, and my heart broke when they canned it after the cool season 2 tease. I could never get into EMH, but I'd put Wolverine and the X-Men on the level with Young Justice.

Definitely going to second Wolverine and the X-Men.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I concur with all of the love for Young Justice, we just don't get that kind of cartoon which does such a great job at mixing content for adults and kids every day. And to have it along with Green Lantern (while not my cup of tea) axed due to toy concerns is simply idiotic. It's like these execs don't understand brand building or meeting your audience half way.

But in that vein, I would also like to put forth for nomination Samurai Jack. While it has traveled the in the opposite direction, television first then comic, it was beyond good and even got my Mother to watch the show. Furthermore, there's not enough love in the world for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars also done by GT. A show that dared to look Lucas in the eye and dare him to get mad.

While traveling through nostalgiaville I would also put forth The Thundercats. While originally created to sell toys it and other cartoons of its era still found a way to be interesting enough that people wanted to see something new done with them. Both in terms of new series and in comics.

For more contemporary fare, I nominate Harvey Birdman, Attorney at law, SeaLab 2021 The Venture Bros., Adventure Time, & Regular Show. All of these have found ways to breath new life into old shows, themes, and tropes. The first two in the list are quite literal in taking the old and making something new from them. While often put into the "stoner" category of animation, they found a broader audience than anyone would have first imagined. The Venture Brothers took the forms of the old and gave them something interesting to do in a contemporary setting.

I really don't think that much needs to be said about Adventure Time and Regular Show. They may not be your thing but they've found huge audiences by being smart, thoughtful, and by giving us complex characters that are flawed but lovable.

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    I might be crazy but aren't like... none of those comic book tv shows that were also within the last 10 years?

I loved Sealab 2021, but that wasn't a comic book, for example, nor inspired by comic books afaik.

zerzhul on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Seconding Walking Dead, Agent Carter, and Agents of SHIELD

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I might be crazy but aren't like... none of those comic book tv shows that were also within the last 10 years?

I loved Sealab 2021, but that wasn't a comic book, for example, nor inspired by comic books afaik.

The last season of Sealab 2021 was 2005, so it fits the time. And I would say that it was very much inspired by comic books in terms of the pure crazy that often went into the (shall we be generous?) plots.

The revived Thundercats was 2011, but you are correct with respect to He-Man and Thundar. I guess I was just reliving a good thing a bit hard there.

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I concur with all of the love for Young Justice, we just don't get that kind of cartoon which does such a great job at mixing content for adults and kids every day. And to have it along with Green Lantern (while not my cup of tea) axed due to toy concerns is simply idiotic. It's like these execs don't understand brand building or meeting your audience half way.

But in that vein, I would also like to put forth for nomination Samurai Jack. While it has traveled the in the opposite direction, television first then comic, it was beyond good and even got my Mother to watch the show. Furthermore, there's not enough love in the world for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars also done by GT. A show that dared to look Lucas in the eye and dare him to get mad.

While traveling through nostalgiaville I would also put forth The Thundercats. While originally created to sell toys it and other cartoons of its era still found a way to be interesting enough that people wanted to see something new done with them. Both in terms of new series and in comics.

For more contemporary fare, I nominate Harvey Birdman, Attorney at law, SeaLab 2021 The Venture Bros., Adventure Time, & Regular Show. All of these have found ways to breath new life into old shows, themes, and tropes. The first two in the list are quite literal in taking the old and making something new from them. While often put into the "stoner" category of animation, they found a broader audience than anyone would have first imagined. The Venture Brothers took the forms of the old and gave them something interesting to do in a contemporary setting.

I really don't think that much needs to be said about Adventure Time and Regular Show. They may not be your thing but they've found huge audiences by being smart, thoughtful, and by giving us complex characters that are flawed but lovable.

I think outside of Young Justice and Green Lantern, none of those really qualify as comics TV shows. Of the ones you listed, the one I'm most likely to let in would be the Venture Bros., given how often it plays around with comics characters and themes, buuuuuuut I'm leaning against it for now. If anyone wants to make a serious argument in its favor, I'm willing to listen though, it's definitely aired more episodes within the window than it hasn't

For all of these Transformers, GI Joe and Adventure Time questions: we have a best licensed comic category coming up, and all three have very serious claims on that title.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    very serious claims for second place after Darkwing Duck

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    even though it only ran for one season, AND YOU CAN'T PROVE OTHERWISE,

Human Target on Fox. It was Mark Valley, Chi McBride, and Jackie Earle Haley getting mixed up in a different action movie a week.

The Middleman because

https://youtu.be/ORFg4_m6sWQ

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Seconding Human Target if for no other reason that the second season was forced to add more characters, and they named one Pucci. On FOX.

Nominating Blade: The Series. A one-and-done show on SpikeTV that followed Blade after the movies into what he normally does to vampires. Sidekicked with a recently-turned Vampire who's drafted to go deep cover in the Vampire world, the show both fleshed out the world and Blade himself

sig.gif
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Super Hero Squad Show

Genuinely entertaining show marketed toward a very young audience.

I am going to third Human Target

For a very brief time that show was the very expensive to produce jam.

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    More hands up for Young Justice.

I just started rewatching it after finding a cheap DVD in a sale bin. Besides having excellent characterzations and great arcs, the animation is so much smoother and more crisp than it has any right to be.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Man, I am looking at what folks have nominated and it's crazy to think that Agents of SHIELD isn't going to make my top five, and I like that show a lot

Agents of SHIELD was basically on fire for a third of it's lifespan, and DC has had a history of great shows so far, so it's not too surprising.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh, Human Target. What could have been.....

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I assume that since regular Teen Titans ran from '03 to '06 that it's just outside the nomination guidelines?

seems like more of it fell outside of the window than in, so yeah, unfortunately

meanwhile I'm going to second iZombie even though there's only the one episode out because it's pretty good and one of the characters is named major lilywhite and apparently I'm just never going to get over that

I nearly forgot... Legion of Super-Heroes.

Nothing fantastic, but it was an entertaining cartoon that kind of split the difference between Teen Titans and Justice League, following the Legion and Superboy (called Superman because of a rights dispute at the time) in the 31st Century where there were no heroes, just legends.

sig.gif
    Voting is open! Here's the link!

Voting closes at 10 am Wednesday!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    But...but...no Teen Titans Go?

But their story is Neverending:
    https://youtu.be/G3pOsLXanOw

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I find it interesting that Gotham isn't even on the ballot. I don't really care one way or the other - I haven't seen it, so I can't judge. I'm just surprised that a high-profile show like that has no on rooting for it.

I actually haven't seen most of the shows on the list, so I kind of had to vote blindly. Happy birthday, Batman: The Brave And the Bold, Agent Carter, and Constantine; you were in the right place at the right time.

(My top votes were for Justice League Unlimited and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., because the first is one of my all-time favorite cartoons, and the second one did such a extreme and positive turn-around in terms of quality during season 1 that it gave me whiplash.)

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I find it interesting that Gotham isn't even on the ballot. I don't really care one way or the other - I haven't seen it, so I can't judge. I'm just surprised that a high-profile show like that has no on rooting for it.

I actually haven't seen most of the shows on the list, so I kind of had to vote blindly. Happy birthday, Batman: The Brave And the Bold, Agent Carter, and Constantine; you were in the right place at the right time.

(My top votes were for Justice League Unlimited and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., because the first is one of my all-time favorite cartoons, and the second one did such a extreme and positive turn-around in terms of quality during season 1 that it gave me whiplash.)

Gotham has been kind of 'meh' to me, I like the actor playing Gordon but the rest of the show has been kind of predictable, it feels like a ton of set-up that's never going to pay off, and a lot of the villain storylines have been pretty lame IMO. I still watch every episode because I'm a comic book fanboy, but I've liked Constantine, Agent Carter, iZombie (just based on pilot) and Flash way more

Zavian on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I realize I'm late to the party, but shame on all of you for forgetting the Animated series of The Tick!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The Tick was so not within the last decade

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I realize I'm late to the party, but shame on all of you for forgetting the Animated series of The Tick!

One of my fav series, but it's over 10 years old so wasn't eligible

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular

Gotham is hilariously bad.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    whooops!

I missed the last decade part!

wait, JLU was in the last ten years?!

Xaquin wrote: »
    whooops!

I missed the last decade part!

wait, JLU was in the last ten years?!

yea, it ran until 2006

Langly wrote: »

Gotham is hilariously bad.
    When it came out, I heard that it wasn't so great, and maybe trying too hard. Then, when episode 7 came out, all I heard was "Episode 7 was so good!!! The series finally found its voice!"

And then I literally never heard anything about it again.

(Until now I guess.)

The main reason Gotham isn't in is because nobody nominated Gotham. I mean, the Cape is on there

Oh, no no, I mean I know the immediate reason for why it's not there. That's what I was referring to: Nobody cared enough about Gotham to nominate it. That seems to speak volumes about it.

I'm not trying to blame you, Geebs! I'm blaming the creators of Gotham.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Gotham is okay. It isn't all that good, but it also isn't a train wreck. It's just sort of there.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Gotham has a few good actors surrounded by a pretty crappy show. I will say the few times I've watched it I think the young version of the penguin is really well done.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    My list probably would have looked different if I had watched any Arrow or flash. I need to get around to that.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    It is kind of amazing to see The Cape on there, but not Teen Titans Go.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oh god, so many good series, this vote is gonna be nuts.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    I completely forgot Gotham existed when it was time to nominate. I mean, I don't know if I would have anyway, because the show is closer to "crap" than "good", but man... totally forgot.

sig.gif
    edited March 2015
    You could probably have voted exclusively for shows that Vinnie Jones has been in, if you really wanted to.

Edit: OK, maybe not. My memory was that he was in all the things.

HadjiQuest on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The main reason Gotham isn't in is because nobody nominated Gotham. I mean, the Cape is on there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX3wGWHRlXQ

• SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Voting for Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, The Flash, and Alphas.