As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Challenge Coin - Additional coins available

• savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Only thing I can come up with is the "Dark Angel" Space Needle. I'm going to go sit in the corner now.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    savagehart wrote: »
    I'm going to go sit in the corner now.

It's okay; you tried.

Even though I tossed up my vote for the monorail, other iconic / interesting Seattle landmarks include Gas Works Park and the Union Station and King Street Station (<- totally not biased). While Gas Works would look interesting, I don't know if that level of detail could be replicated on the coin.

boTdSSK.png
    jumboto wrote: »
    I'm going to go sit in the corner now.

It's okay; you tried.

Even though I tossed up my vote for the monorail, other iconic / interesting Seattle landmarks include Gas Works Park and the Union Station and King Street Station (<- totally not biased). While Gas Works would look interesting, I don't know if that level of detail could be replicated on the coin.

I could get behind King's street station. Been taking the train to Pax the last couple of years and that's where I arrive.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    The clock tower at King Street has been brought up in the past. I could go for either that or the troll.

• popsiphonepopsiphone Registered User regular
    I think the Landmark idea is played out. Seattle like most cities only has a few and it seems they have mostly been exhausted. The Pink Elephant carwash?... NO
    Monorail?... NO C-Link?... NO King Street Station?... NO NO NO I don't mean to be down on the idea but whats next? Gumwall, Cheesecake Factory across the street, Gameworks, etc.?

The Space Needle is our most iconic landmark. Historical landmarks like Paramount Theatre are cool because they involve PAX.

Maybe its time one of the artists in the community design a logo for the Penny Arcade Forum community? Could it include some iconic Seattle element that is relevant to PAX?

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    popsiphone wrote: »
    I think the Landmark idea is played out. Seattle like most cities only has a few and it seems they have mostly been exhausted.

I believe, and I could be wrong, the point of the image is to remind us of something we enjoyed or something we saw when in Seattle. Remember most of us are from out of town.

When I look at the monorail it makes me smile because it reminds me of traveling up to the museum my first year. Or pikes market always reminds me of sitting with my husband that first morning at 6am eating french pastries on the water front. So for me I really like the different images.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    popsiphone wrote: »
    Maybe its time one of the artists in the community design a logo for the Penny Arcade Forum community?
    There actually is one, it was done in 2011 and has adorned the forum badges, and the lapel pin, and the steins and beer glasses, and the wiki :)

it probably could use updated to include south and Australia though, since it was done for prime+east.

• akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    Super excited about this!

I've learned a lot about saying too much here, but would be happy to weigh in regarding what may or may not make a good looking coin whichever way you all decide to go.

As for shipping -- we can probably do two options: I plan to go to Prime (I now have a super good excuse), and would be happy to make myself available to a few hours both days for anyone who wants to pick up their coins and not deal with shipping.

Otherwise -- we can ship in small bubble packaging for roughly $1.50/each (up to 5 coins per package is reasonable).

Finally -- someone asked for samples -- I posted some massive pictures last time in the PAX EAST thread. Lesson learned.

Here is a link to a dropbox folder with some recent coins we've done: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dw104xstaavdko7/AACrEsCOhhExifSOV28_WHsja?dl=0

• AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have any more thoughts on back designs? It seems we have the three, Monorail, Troll and Elephant. Anyone have something new or interesting?

Personally I lean toward the Monorail, but the concept of King's Street Station has been tossed around a bit too and depending on the image used that could look pretty awesome. I know a lot of PAX Prime peeps come in on the train.

Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I really like the arcade coin slot idea for the front of the coin. Woodinville was my hometown until the late '80s, and I'm partial to the Elephant car wash sign, as I would see it whenever we drove into town to go to Seattle Center.

I haven't purchased a PAX coin before, so I am opinion-less regarding the vendor.

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular
    I think the coin slot idea is lovely. Meh about the monorail, but love the troll idea, or the elephant car wash. I'll also kick in... I like the place/landmarks with the coins. It's nice because it does evoke the things in Seattle which are awesome and which stand out to those of us who don't get to grace its fair rainy streets often. I also think the Paramount theater is a great idea, because it's both a landmark and a PAX thing.

• SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Hm - a coin with a coin slot on it. How very meta...

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif
  • arconicarconic Registered User regular
    i liked the coin slot idea last year and i still like it this year. as far as the flip side goes i'm liking the monorail idea.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Since we just did an arcade design last year I personally would rather look into something else.

I know a lot of people obsess over street pass while at PAX, maybe we could do a theme around that idea. Possibly a street pass puzzle with a PAX picture?

IhtGIyi.png
  • LerlertHerbLerlertHerb MerdwerstRegistered User regular
    On the subject of the coin manufacturer. Will the weight be comparable to Phoenix? I like how substantial the coins thus far have felt when you hold them.
    I also think the Paramount theater is a great idea, because it's both a landmark and a PAX thing.
    The Paramount was used last year. I'm a big fan of the monorail as I've used it quite a bit at PAX. I'm also a big fan of putting the community logo on one side.

• sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    Yes. the monorail is mostly used by tourists. I've lived in Seattle for years and never taken it. But it's iconic. King St Station would also be very cool.

I like the landmarks idea more than a community logo. One side is gaming/PAX. The other is about the city, at least to me. If we go with a community logo, this coin could be from any of the four PAXen. With a monorail/king st station/troll, it's the Seattle PAX.

• BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular
    On the subject of the coin manufacturer. Will the weight be comparable to Phoenix? I like how substantial the coins thus far have felt when you hold them.

The Paramount was used last year. I'm a big fan of the monorail as I've used it quite a bit at PAX. I'm also a big fan of putting the community logo on one side.

Thanks, I missed last years coins.

I have one of the Phoenix coins from this year (PAX EAST).They appear to use brass as the underlying metal. Given the same thickness, the coins should weigh about the same. Most challenge coins have significant "heft" to them, as this is the preferred industry standard.

• PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

I know a lot of people obsess over street pass while at PAX, maybe we could do a theme around that idea. Possibly a street pass puzzle with a PAX picture?

OMG I am one of those people. A Street Pass theme would be so freaking awesome. :+1:

PookyAlert wrote: »

OMG I am one of those people. A Street Pass theme would be so freaking awesome. :+1:

OK, I'll ask, what is a street pass?

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

You know when you look around and you see just about EVERYONE with a Nintendo DS? Most of them are checking their Street Pass. I do not have one myself so I am just going off what others have said, but it is a system where your DS connects with another DS around you to share information. The more people you share with the more trinkets you get (This lets you build puzzles). The kicker is you can only have 10 (I think?) saved in your system so you constantly have to clear them out so your DS can meet more people and get you more stuff.

I am sure someone that actually does it can correct me or elaborate.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah that is a good explanation. We only get our DS out for PAX.

If you want the official NIN word about it:
    http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/StreetPass

ZYseqtZ.png

Just the best game EVER at PAX. ;) But yea @SkeleVader got it right.

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Ahh, Street Pass. I almost never bring out my DS save for that. but it's constant checking. You can easly get 500 street passes in a day if you're really on the ball with checking.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    Street pass spin-off thread!!! Also PAX challenge coin design discussion. Or something :D

• banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    +1 street pass, don't use it myself but it does seem intuitive. Not a fan of the monorail but know others are, perhaps this is the year for it.

pax
    clt
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Ooo, we could have a challenge coin on the back!

...more seriously, while I like the idea of a Street Pass design, I think we should do a Tabletop design, because console, PC, arcade, those are all video games, so compared to that Tabletop seems underrepresented with only one themed coin considering how big tabletop is at PAX.

Dreamwriter on
    edited March 2015
    Playing MHU4 at PAX EAST - I couldn't believe how many street pass hits I was getting. It was like a NYC airport, but even denser.

akidderz on
  • adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    What about Mt. Rainier? I think one of the coins a few years back had it kinda-sorta in the background, but might be nice to make it prominent.

ChMDm4Y.png
  • PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    So awesome, though Streetpass isn't just for puzzles (though goodness, there is that too). You have mini-games you can play with the people you meet (they are used to fight or grow flowers, etc.) and some games allow you to interact with people you Streetpass as well. We can start a separate thread--I did a Streetpass Best Practices post somewhere last year--but basically, if it doesn't go this year I shall totally promote it next year. :biggrin:

OMG though, the more I think about it, the more I think we have to do the monorail because it's every year, and we could sorta just do it this year, and then...it will never come up again. Plus, it would look snazzy on a coin. :wink: Though for timeliness, Bertha would be funny. :hydra:

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    OMG though, the more I think about it, the more I think we have to do the monorail because it's every year, and we could sorta just do it this year, and then...it will never come up again. Plus, it would look snazzy on a coin. :wink: Though for timeliness, Bertha would be funny. :hydra:

While I love the idea of Bertha, I feel like the majority of people wouldn't get it. She would be fantastic, though.

What about something smaller? The statue of Jimi Hendrix, for example.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
    edited March 2015
    Here are a few of the Seattle Image ideas mocked up, these images are only meant to be a representation & if chosen the final image will still be worked on:

Monorail 01:
    4lW84tnl.png

Troll 02:
    5rBVAVQ.png

CarWash 02:
    OmrKsrY.png

King Street 01:
    QXWmIc7.png

And of course, the front runner, Bertha 01:
    clDVhtx.png

Voting will go up in the next few days if we don't get any new submissions that people like.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    Those all look great! I'd tuck most of them away for the future. Though... I have to mildly plug my own idea for the other side... having that Bertha pic with Seattle Rampage on the reverse would be too perfectly brilliant... Just throwing that out there.

clDVhtx.png

So not being from Seattle I have no idea what this is. Have not seen it while we have been visiting. What is it and where is it?

clDVhtx.png

So not being from Seattle I have no idea what this is. Have not seen it while we have been visiting. What is it and where is it?

Basically Bertha is the machine at the bottom of the hole. It is being used to drill a tunnel to replace an above ground highway in downtown. About a year ago or so it hit something in the ground that was not marked on the plans. It broke and they have been digging that hole ever since. Just recently they were able to reach Bertha and start fixing her. The project has been a huge mess and all the government officials have been fighting over it.

IhtGIyi.png
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    No offence to people from Seattle, but I would like to see this not just landmarks they know about. I would like to at least see some sort of tie in for PAX. Are we really hurting for ideas that bad?

Out of the proposed ideas, the only ones that I see with a PAX tie in at all are the monorail and the train station though I personally don't ever use either.

ZYseqtZ.png
    I3izzy wrote: »
    No offence to people from Seattle, but I would like to see this not just landmarks they know about. I would like to at least see some sort of tie in for PAX.

I would agree with this. I would like to see something that the average PAX goer would see often or be at least familiar with.

• forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    King St Station is kind of the beginning and end of PAX for me. That's my vote, for what it's worth.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    The convention centre perhaps?

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    The convention centre perhaps?

We used the convention center in 2011, here is a link to our Wiki page that show our past coins: Pax Challenge Coin

IhtGIyi.png