As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will a fourth day ever be added to Pax East?

TofuMilkTofuMilk Registered User regular
With how fast the three day badges went this year, do you ever think Penny Arcade with open up a forth day in Boston? I know they have tried to help stop scalping in the past. But they're are still a lot of fans that can't go to Pax, because of how fast badges sell out. I know Seattle got a fourth day, but that is only because the size of the venue is smaller then Boston. What other things could be done, to help with ticket sales?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    East still doesn't sell out nearly as fast as PAX Prime, so I'm not sure that's an accurate measurement for determining a 4th day. The BCEC is in the process of expanding, and that will likely help. There's no way to know whether or not a 4th day will be added though until they tell us "hey look what we're doing!"

• Options
    Do you know, how fast PAX Prime sells out compared To PAX East? My understanding is that PAX East three days badges, sold out in half hour.

PAX seems like it is just getting bigger and bigger every year. There were a couple people in my program that wanted to go to PAX, but had no idea what Penny Arcade even was. So I guess Penny Arcade was right, when saying that PAX is becoming it's own thing out right. I guess if they're done expanding, the convention to four PAX's a year. Then I guess we will have to hope that maybe Fan generated events can fill that gap.

I guess once November hits, you better be checking Twitter hourly if you want a three day badge.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    3 day badges are not an effective measure of telling how fast the pax sells out because the 3-day percentage is likely very small. Here we are almost a week after pax east went on sale and fri/sun are still available. 100% of prime badges, all 4 days, sold out within 1.5 hours, to contrast.

Some of that is because East has higher capacity than prime. Most of it is due to the extreme popularity of prime.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    3 day badges are not an effective measure of telling how fast the pax sells out because the 3-day percentage is likely very small. Here we are almost a week after pax east went on sale and fri/sun are still available. 100% of prime badges, all 4 days, sold out within 1.5 hours, to contrast.

Some of that is because East has higher capacity than prime. Most of it is due to the extreme popularity of prime.

South is also like 5 weeks before East. In theory that'd push demand down as well.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    6 weeks actually, to the day.

• Options
    Thanks for the prospective, I guess I was only looking at this from one side. (That being mine)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    The big thing that allows a 4th day to be viable at Prime is Labor Day. In order for East to get a 4th day, either the Monday or the Friday needs to be a National Holiday.

(Why the Friday? Because then they could in theory have Thursday as the first day. Currently Friday is kind of the "soft opening" since most people have to work or go to school. If Friday was a Holiday then they could move to have Thursday as the "soft opening" day.)

Currently the closest thing in the calendar is only a State Holiday, March 17th 2015. There is also the national observance of St. Patricks Day, which is a good excuse to stick around for a week after PAX East but schools and work are still operating (probably less so the following day.)

It's difficult to see how you could shuffle things around and get 4 days in the same way that Prime has. I think that it's more likely that the convention centres will get bigger rather than having extra days added.

• Options
    UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    If PA ever decides to expand East into a 4day convention it would cause a major scheduling issue. Prime's fourth day works since it's Labor Day and there are no "Massive Events" taking place. With East being in March or April every year they have to try to schedule between GDC, Easter and the Boston Marathon. And trying to find a week that works for the BCEC. We all saw the Security issues with getting into East now imagine that plus Marathon Monday mixed in. Unless they found another week or month to do it a 4 day East is not possible. There are just too many events in and around Boston during that time of the year.

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    zerzhul wrote: »
    3 day badges are not an effective measure of telling how fast the pax sells out because the 3-day percentage is likely very small. Here we are almost a week after pax east went on sale and fri/sun are still available.

#PopularEventProblems

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The 3 day passes should not be discounted so much.
    They are just absurdly discounted right now, which is why they sell out so quickly.
    3 days should cost like 2.75 days, a small enough discount that people who buy a 3 day pass feel obligated to go all 3 days.
    Also, the Saturday day pass should cost a little more than the Friday or Sunday pass, like say $10 more.

I agree with Khoo in that he should never charge the true price of PAX tickets, as they'd go for like $100+/day if they were priced true, but making people pause a bit, before buying 3 day passes or Saturday tickets would smooth out the crowds better.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    They are just absurdly discounted right now, which is why they sell out so quickly.
    3 days should cost like 2.75 days, a small enough discount that people who buy a 3 day pass feel obligated to go all 3 days.
    Also, the Saturday day pass should cost a little more than the Friday or Sunday pass, like say $10 more.

I agree with Khoo in that he should never charge the true price of PAX tickets, as they'd go for like $100+/day if they were priced true, but making people pause a bit, before buying 3 day passes or Saturday tickets would smooth out the crowds better.

I think there should be an option to combine single day badges into the 3 or 4 day badge when you buy them.

• Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular

Don't kid yourself.

The 3 Day badges could cost the same amount as three single day badges added up together.

They would still sell out just as fast, and there would still be people upset. The fact of the matter is: there are more fans/people who want to go to PAX than there are 3-Day badges available.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Don't kid yourself.

The 3 Day badges could cost the same amount as three single day badges added up together.

They would still sell out just as fast, and there would still be people upset. The fact of the matter is: there are more fans/people who want to go to PAX than there are 3-Day badges available.

I think he's talking about the all the tickets, not just all-days ones being priced at market value. Meaning if PAX tickets were priced what the market would bear, people who only needed 2 days would think twice about paying an extra $100-$200 for a 3-day versus just what they actually needed. And they wouldn't sell out as fast because it's no secret that tickets are currently priced way under the demand curve.

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    My bank account hopes not, but the gamer in me can only hope one day.

• Options
    DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    I think PAX South has greatly reduced the pressure for PAX East tickets, so that will likely lower the chances of a fourth day. Even prior to PAX South, East has never held a candle to the demand of Prime.

East 2014 tickets completely sold out in 15 days, East 2015 tickets took 37 days to sell out completely.

Comparing that to PAX Prime... 2013 Prime sold out completely in 6 hours, and 2014 Prime sold out completely in less than an hour and a half. 2014 Prime was also the first year we saw attempted theft of badges from around the necks of attendees. I'm a bit concerned about this year to be honest.

• Options
    ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    Three PAX events seems to be the ideal number for North America. Adding South relieved enough of the demand from East that both took a while to completely sell out. I wouldn't be surprised if Prime 2015 were affected. Adding a fourth PAX to North America doesn't seem necessary at this point. I don't expect another event to be added anytime soon, but I would find it easier to believe they would place one in Europe before adding a fourth one to NA.

mkf6ad9.png
  • Options
    Louis_RSNLouis_RSN Registered User new member
    I just want PAX everyday.

Current looking for someone to go to PAX with (I have a three day pass, but my friend is only going one day). I am 21 years old, male, and I am a college student! If want to chat, PM me :)
  • Options
    Apparently Mike wanted PAX-Land, but Khoo kiboshed the idea of a PAX Theme Park.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    As mentioned by a few others, I'm hoping for an additional 4th day by the time the new hotels are built.
    DaveRH wrote: »
    East 2014 tickets completely sold out in 15 days, East 2015 tickets took 37 days to sell out completely.

Comparing that to PAX Prime... 2013 Prime sold out completely in 6 hours, and 2014 Prime sold out completely in less than an hour and a half. 2014 Prime was also the first year we saw attempted theft of badges from around the necks of attendees. I'm a bit concerned about this year to be honest.

Weren't the weekend passes for East 2015 still gone within a few hours? It's not as frenetic as Prime, but they still move really fast.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you want to attend all three days, East isn't much different than Prime.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Weekend passes for pretty much any pax sell out almost immediately (I think south lasted a little while, but that won't happen next year most likely). That's been happening since they reduced the number of full passes significantly a few years back.