As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, March 23, 2015 - The Facts

2»

• Options
    K.MI.K.C.K.MI.K.C. Registered User regular
    I like the "in media res" thing. It's a kind of puzzle-solving to me. You're dropped into an entirely new world and have to figure out its rules. Think Ash in Army of the Dead.

When I start a new book, I imagine it to be like waking up in a new environment in utter darkness. After a while, my eyes start to adjust to the light, or lack thereof. As soon as I am able to identify things and their order I can start exploring, ie. test the limits of the world. To me at least it's way more interesting than being force fed everything, also allows more room for interpretation.

My roommate's the exact opposite of that. Before he delves into a new world he looks up guides and walk-throughs to have an edge going into the game, book, or whatever medium. Takes the fun out of it for me. I mean, why play or read it if you'll just do what another player told you to do?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Linktm wrote: »
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    You have that FFVII thing backwards, Barret asked Cloud to explain materia to him.

You're right. That's the Tutorial portion after the Reactor Mission. But, when you get your first Materia from Barret (I don't think you start with any, and he gives you like Bolt or Ice or something) he explains what Materia is and what it does.

also wrong. Cloud starts with Bolt equipped. You pick up a Restore materia in front of the reactor, but you're not yet allowed to mess with the Materia menu.

After the bombing run, on the way back to the slums, Barret asks Cloud for assistance with Materia. Your tutorial on Materia is in the context of Cloud giving him a brief lecture on how to use it.

• Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    This is exactly what I was talking about the previous comic thread.
    FFT0 dumps around half an hour of jargon filled exposition on you before you even get to any gameplay. Which is just HORRIBLE storytelling.
    Even having played and remembered a lot of the jargon from FF13, this was almost incomprehensible to me.
    I just can't consider FFT0 a true FF game and more of a spin-off along the likes of Chocobo's Dungeon or Mystic Quest.
    Most FF games first introduce you to a single character, then base the events, story, and exposition around them while giving some interactivity.

The FF15 demo was amazing and I'm highly looking forward to the game now.
    However for anyone who wants to get back to the traditional roots of what started the FF series, I suggest looking at Bravely Default/Bravely Second.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    "We've been reading these lookout comics for what feels like three days, and none of it makes a lick of sense."

>.>
    <.<

...I'm sorry XD

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    As far as the FF storyline/terms thing...whoa. Y'know just because some of us think they throw a few too many bits of weird lingo out there doesn't mean were not intelligent. Lay off the sarcasm. I love Tolkien but it can't be denied not everyone's going to dig how deep into his own lore he got. Some folks prefer a more LOTR movie-like experience and that's OK.

• Options
    K.MI.K.C.K.MI.K.C. Registered User regular
    Also, isn't the plural of helix helices?

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    I watched Game Informer's stream of the FF15 demo, and I just want to say: That summon is freaking awesome... The first couple of times. They need to figure out a way to mitigate that.

The coolest(and most expensive) way is to have variations on the summon. The simplest way is to have a skip button.(boring but practical)

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I watched Game Informer's stream of the FF15 demo, and I just want to say: That summon is freaking awesome... The first couple of times. They need to figure out a way to mitigate that.

The coolest(and most expensive) way is to have variations on the summon. The simplest way is to have a skip button.(boring but practical)

That was my main problem with 7 or 8, I forget. Every time you use the big power you were in it for the long haul, I wasn't able to skip it on whatever version I had. There are time sinks and then there is some form of water torture watching a 20 second clip of the world being blown up by an eldritch god's fart that you use every fight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    FFX did it alright. You had a setting in the options for long animations - if you wanted short ones, you'd get the long version only the first time you summon it, then a very short one on each subsequent summon. Same applied to their Overdrive final attacks.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Bravely Default has a fast-forward mechanic that also skips summon animations.

Becomes very useful when you reach the point where your strategy involve one character attacking 20 times in a turn.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I managed to get the FF15 demo to crash by having a troop transport aircraft spawn intersecting a pine tree. Seems like they want the player to stick to the rigid script.

Do something otherwise and crashes/freezes happen.

Quite proud of that, I break all the beta code in the yard. (And my code is better than yours, you can type-check it, but it compiles.)

• Options
    It is kind of a shame that the easiest fix is a skip button. Those summon cinematics are usually incredible and a ridiculous amount of work.

But no body wants to see the same scene a thousands times. Or use the classic FF7 combo of Knights of the Round plus mime plus go and make dinner while the game plays itself.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

That was my main problem with 7 or 8, I forget. Every time you use the big power you were in it for the long haul, I wasn't able to skip it on whatever version I had. There are time sinks and then there is some form of water torture watching a 20 second clip of the world being blown up by an eldritch god's fart that you use every fight.

Keep in mind this is a tech demo - there is incentive to having the most visually impressive summon cutscene happen in full each time it's used. If you have a friend over and want to show them the demo, there it is, no fishing for it.

I can't imagine in the full game that you'll be using landscape-razing summons with the same regularity that we're using them in the demo, or that it will interrupt gameplay for the length of time it currently does.

A lot of commentary saying "they need to change this" is kind of redundant. Some of it has merit, but as long as you approach the demo with 'this is all placeholder', then critique away.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So "Episode Ducae" is not even a real part of the full game?

• Options
    Wydrion wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »

Keep in mind this is a tech demo - there is incentive to having the most visually impressive summon cutscene happen in full each time it's used. If you have a friend over and want to show them the demo, there it is, no fishing for it.

I can't imagine in the full game that you'll be using landscape-razing summons with the same regularity that we're using them in the demo, or that it will interrupt gameplay for the length of time it currently does.

A lot of commentary saying "they need to change this" is kind of redundant. Some of it has merit, but as long as you approach the demo with 'this is all placeholder', then critique away.

Have you played a Final Fantasy before?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=T8Nqt0B3MHQ