As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GV10: [Results] Best Comic Book Video Game: Check Page 2!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2015
    Just go with the overall game, no need for individual tables

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I just came back to nominate Sam and Max, only to see that it's been nominated already, so consider this a seconding.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Do the inFamous games count? The series isn't a direct comic book adaption, but it is 100 percent a comic book game. You are a superhero/supervillain discovering their powers while having an origin story.

The Darkness - surprising fun shooter set in the Top Cow comic book universe. There are some fun powers, the environments can be inventive and you can watch the entirety of It's a Wonderful Life with your game girlfriend.

The Punisher - The Punisher rocked! You could jam dudes into tree shredders, feed them to zoo animals and drop car engines on their heads. Every murder was accompanied by a wry quip from the Garth Ennis-era Punisher. Much, much better than you'd expect.

• Options
    The inFamous games would count, yeah, they had like, comic book panels for cutscenes

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ohh snap,

Does Darksiders count if Joe Mad worked on it?

• Options
    Nah, if we let games in because comics people worked on them this list would get absurd

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'm kind of amazed by how many good comic book video games there are.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    what about that marvel facebook game? can that get nominated?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    someone already nominated it!

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    cooool. cool cool cool.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    someone already nominated it!

It was me, I'm surprised they didn't try to make me pay for nominating it somehow...

Man, that is such a good game, covered in some of the WORST free to play garbage ever

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Couple notes: Telltale's Walking Dead is going in as one thing, because only one person nominated Season 2 anyways. City of Heroes is just going in as City of Heroes, since they eventually just rolled all of that into one thing anyways.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Surprised no one nominated Lego Batman 3. From the videos I've seen it looks really fun.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Well, there's still time to do so! Probably about five hours.

• Options
    Hell, I'll do it even though I'm only half-way through the second one.

Seconding Lego Batman 2, as well as Lego Marvel Superheroes.

Nominating Lego Batman 3 because it's in space and there's a Green Lantern Lego set based on it.

• Options
    Nominations are closed! Voting is open HERE

• Options
    31-21

30) Disney Infinity: Marvel Superheroes (0 pts)
    30) Justice League Heroes (0 pts)

Why did you guys even nominate these if you weren’t going to vote for them? Why?

28) Champions Online (1 pt)
    28) Lego Batman 3

Look, at least these guys tossed off a fifth place vote for these games.

26) Deadpool (3 pts)
    26) Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (3 pts)

Not sure which game has better writing, to be honest.

25) Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (5 pts)

This was a licensed game on the DS, which means a lot of people didn’t take it seriously.

23) Lego Batman 2 (6 pts)
    23) Marvel: Avengers Alliance (6 pts)

I don’t know what it says about everyone here that a delightful Lego game tied with a free-to-play Facebook game. Explain yourselves.

21) Injustice (8 pts)
    21) The Punisher (8 pts)

Well, this seems thematically appropriate.

• Options
    20-11

20) The Darkness (9 pts)

I think this game is an order of magnitude more well-known than the comic it’s based on. I think I had a HeroClix of the Darkness once, maybe. I don’t remember.

19) Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (11 pts)

There’s definitely a separation between the lower games on this list and the top tier. There are a number of comic games that people love, and a number that a small amount of people like.

18) X-Men Origins: Wolverine (12 pts)

One of the few examples of a game being way better than the movie it’s based on. This game has no right being as good as it is.

16) Pinball FX 2: Marvel Tables (16 pts)
    16) Ultimate Spider-Man (16 pts)

I can’t come up with a thematic connection for these two games. You guys have broken me.

15) inFamous (26 pts)

The point totals are starting to creep up, starting here, with a PS3 exclusive, where you throw lightning around as either a good or a bad guy.

14) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 (33 pts)

Sequels did not fare well in this poll compared to their predecessors. Ultimate Alliance is the biggest example of this, as you’ll see as we advance.

12) Freedom Force vs the Third Reich (36 pts)
    12) Sam & Max (36 pts)

Couple things here: Freedom Force is the highest ranking for something that wasn’t originally a comic, and Sam & Max is Telltale’s first appearance on this list.

11) Marvel Heroes (51 pts)

Fun fact: Marvel Heroes uses Vanilla to run their forums as well. Vanilla is great, and @Geth agrees!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    10-6

10) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (51 pts)

E3UlSOa.jpg

This is technically a clip from the the original version of the game, before the “upgrade,” but check this out for the reason I voted it as high as I did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83r0wf_oc6M

9) Lego Marvel Superheroes (67 pts)

86mHM8y.jpg

One of the first games since Ultimate Alliance to feature a full look at the Marvel Universe. And it had Legos! So that’s pretty good.

8) Scott Pilgrim vs the World (69 pts)

SteQdVu.jpg

Remember when they put DLC out for this like, two years later, out of nowhere? I do. I still haven’t picked it up, but my PS3 isn’t even hooked up right now, so.

7) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (77 pts)

huzw1gU.jpg

A full seven ranks and 44 points ahead of its sequel, here’s Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, the spiritual successor to the X-Men Legends games, featuring a pretty wide cast of characters and some great cutscenes.

6) Fables: The Wolf Among Us (78 pts)

TKJXca1.jpg

This is Telltale’s first attempt to following up their massive critical and commercial success with the Walking Dead, dropping in on the world of Fables. And it nails the universe, and adapts what’s becoming Telltale’s signature gameplay into something completely different from the bleakness of the Walking Dead.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    TOP FIVE
    5) The Walking Dead (100 pts)

MCt4Yz7.jpg

The top five started defining itself very early in the voting. The top four earned 49 of the 72 first place votes, and the Walking Dead quickly emerged as everyone’s number two choice. The Walking Dead managed to make fans out of people tired of both adventure games and zombie fiction by placing you firmly within the horrific choices you’re forced to make in the midst of the apocalypse.

4) City of Heroes (139 pts)

VoEHp.jpg

Despite appearing only 23 ballots, City of Heroes made a very strong showing. I’d probably chalk that up to the game’s untimely demise and very passionate and loyal fans, who are still wandering around looking for a new Paragon City. And shhhhhhhhhh. Nobody wants to play Champions Online. Gross.

3) Batman: Arkham City (174 pts)

3j3aT6C.png

And here’s another game that get punked by its predecessor, and, given its relative quality, it’s probably one of the more divisive games on this list. Though, at least it made the list at all, unlike Batman: Arkham Origins, which can now be said to be worse than Justice League Heroes, because of science and math.

2) Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (214 pts)

B5iCvA3.jpg

There are 72 ballots. This game was in first place until the 71st ballot. It appeared on less than half the ballots, but pulled down the highest points per ballot ratio of any game on this list (it appeared on eight fewer ballots than the eventual winner). What’s all that mean? It means that to those who played it, this is one of the best comic book games of all time. It means that you could smash your fists into cars to make car boxing gloves and then a few years later the Hulk is going to do that in a movie because it’s fucking awesome.

1) Batman: Arkham Asylum (232 pts)

sq7mMMo.jpg

I’ll admit to being a little let down by this result, because for a while it seemed as though the biggest upset of these awards might be in the works. But Arkham Asylum is a worthy number one, a game that essentially created a genre, a game that had fun stealth puzzles and a very innovative combat system. It’s the first game to really nail anything about what it would be like to be Batman. And I guess people like that sort of thing.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    @tube I have the name of everyone that didn't vote for the hulk if you want them for whatever reason

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Two things:

1) Damn right Asylum's better than City.

2) I feel like everyone who voted Hulk as high as they did forgot how terrible the last few levels are. The developer, Radical Entertainment, is fucking horrible at ramping up difficulty (Prototype has the same issue) and the last few levels basically ruined the game for me.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Put them on The List

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    tube I have the name of everyone that didn't vote for the hulk if you want them for whatever reason

I only didn't vote for Hulk as I somehow managed to never play it before, otherwise based on what I've read it would've ranked high for me. And yeah, I liked Asylum more than Arkham City, I guess more to nostalgia of "wow I'm really playing as Batman, they really made a perfect comic book game" experience I had first playing it

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I thought I threw a 4th or 5th place vote to Disney Infinity. I guess I didn't though. Not that it would've mattered. Seems as if I'm the only one that would have. Regardless, I love those character designs.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Same for me, Hulk would probably have made the list if I ever played it (translated: if it had come out on a device I had at that time).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    8) Scott Pilgrim vs the World (69 pts)

SteQdVu.jpg

Remember when they put DLC out for this like, two years later, out of nowhere? I do. I still haven’t picked it up, but my PS3 isn’t even hooked up right now, so.

Well, you won't ever be able to, either: Ubisoft let the Scoot Pilgrim license expire a few months ago, so the game and DLC aren't available for sale anymore.

• Options
    that's the worst thing ubisoft has ever done

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Two things:

1) Damn right Asylum's better than City.

2) I feel like everyone who voted Hulk as high as they did forgot how terrible the last few levels are. The developer, Radical Entertainment, is fucking horrible at ramping up difficulty (Prototype has the same issue) and the last few levels basically ruined the game for me.

I had the same experience as the Hulk. It's one of those rare games where I went from not expecting much to fully amazed at its awesomeness to kind of bored in the back stretch. I don't think I even finished it, but those opening levels are some of the most fun I've had with a video game.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I ranked Asylum higher than City because the storytelling felt tighter to me. And I really loved the Scarecrow sequences, where the counterpart Mad Hatter and Ra's al Ghul sequences felt like a tacked-on substitution. I just have to time my Asylum replays so they don't follow after a City or Origins replay, because it's kind of rough going back to its simpler combat and gliding.

This is the first I've heard of that Hulk game. If I see it at a used game shop, I'll dig the relevant console out of storage and give it a shot!

And damn right, City of Heroes. From the Beta to the Grave.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    tube I have the name of everyone that didn't vote for the hulk if you want them for whatever reason

I'm sorry, I never played it!

In my defense, I was probably the lone vote for Lego Batman 2, because I realized it was the superior Lego superhero game.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wasn't into comic book stuff back in 2005, so I never payed Ultimate Destruction.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    31-21
    25) Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (5 pts)

This was a licensed game on the DS, which means a lot of people didn’t take it seriously.

Web of Shadows was the last good open world console Spidey game, it was out on everything. PS3, 360, Wii, PC. They even made 2D version for the PS2 and PSP. Not as good versions, I believe.

The DS 2D side scroller is different from the PSP and actually quite good. As I recall, the same company that did that ended up doing the DS version of Shattered Dimensions, which was also surprisingly good. I think someone on these boards worked on those.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I think the person who nominated Web of Shadows specifically called out the DS version, which I probably could have specified if I'd thought about the other versions at all

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I thought for sure Arkham City would've had it. It's open world travel and more interesting boss fights addressed a lot of the issues people had with Asylum, while making improvements to the already excellent combat system. Shows what I know.

Incredibly happy CoH got as high as it did. It was the only MMO to hold my interest for longer than a couple months, and that was partially due to the rich comic booky fluff they littered the city with and the roleplaying opportunities it created. Ain't seen it's like before or since (RIP Darkstryder)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    I thought for sure Arkham City would've had it. It's open world travel and more interesting boss fights addressed a lot of the issues people had with Asylum, while making improvements to the already excellent combat system. Shows what I know.

Yeah, I felt this way too. There was some stuff that really frustrated me in Asylum that was all worked out in City.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Counterpoint - the final boss fight of Asylum

As for Asylum vs City, I think they both had distinctive strengths and weaknesses. So while City had improved combat, solid traversal and better boss fights, it also had that dang restricted area smack-bang in the middle and an unholy amount of Riddler trophies.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Arkham City has so many damned Riddler trophies that the city is essentially green. I have my problems with the aesthetic of the Arkham games already, and the clump of green shit everywhere in Arkham City sure didn't do a whole lot to draw me in. And I hated that they locked so many cool Riddler puzzle missions behind finish all of those ridiculous riddler challenges in the city itself

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The massive amount of Riddler challenges didn't bug me at all because I eat that shit up

Origins' use of them bugged me because it was just puzzles, no actual riddles

• Options
    I think Arkham City officially broke me of wanting to collect everything in a video game. Now I see a giant collection of garbage on a map in an Assassin's Creed game, and I just start shaking my head angrily