As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa.Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Games and Technology
What is Crusader Kings II?
Crusader Kings II is a grand strategy game set between 1066 and 1453; expansions to the game allow the timeline to start as early as 769. It is developed by Paradox Development Studio and published by Paradox Interactive. In Crusader Kings II, the player controls a series of rulers within a dynasty over a span of decades or centuries. Additionally, the game was designed to be extremely easy to mod. The community has created an immense number of mods for the game, some to tweak existing game play and some to create entirely new settings for the game beyond the scope of the medieval world presented in the game. The game is very highly regarded, with a 93% positive rating on Steam after over 10,000 reviews. The game is available for purchase in the Steam store; be aware that it frequently goes on sale for 75% off, usually just prior to the launch of another DLC for the game.

Trigger warnings
Please be aware that this game includes rape, incest, kidnapping, torture, murder, mental illness, and the death of children. While virtually all subject matter is handled primarily through text, with graphical content at an absolute and non-specific minimum, these things are definitely very present throughout the game.

What is game play like?
On the surface, it’s very similar to a game like Civilization. Over the long term you build up your holdings, collect income, fight offensive and defensive wars, etc. Unlike Civilization, Crusader Kings II is built around people-management, rather than nation management. The game generates thousands of NPCs, and for many players it’s their interaction that makes the game unique and memorable. Each player plays as a specific ruler, and when their current ruler dies they continue to play as that ruler’s heir, so long as the heir is of their dynasty. The game is extremely deep, allowing for a huge amount of replay value; like Civilization, it's not uncommon to see players with hundreds or even thousands of hours of game play. The game allows the player to play as any one of thousands of historical figures like Saladin, Richard the Lionhearted, Charlemagne, Alfred the Great, William the Bastard Conqueror, Ragnar Lodbrok, Eleanor of Aquitaine, El Cid, and hundreds of others. Some players like to do things like try to restore the Karling dynasty to its former glory and to retake the French throne from the Capetian kings, or to take a small, humble, inconsequential house in Switzerland by the name of Habsburg and to see what they can achieve with it. And many, many players like to play a dynasty through the centuries, growing their power through strategic marriages and warfare alike.

What do you mean by unique and memorable?
Every game effectively creates a new story through emergent game play. There are thousands of NPCs active in the game world at all times, all with their own goals and ambitions. The player will take advantage of them to murder, plot, bribe, seduce, war, raid, arrest, murder, crusade, marry, execute, ransom, murder, create factions, raise armies, banish, cheat, lie, steal, duel, flatter, murder, appoint, manipulate, build, research, plan, rebel, betray and murder their way to victory. It’s a game where you can murder your king so that his lazy, stupid heir takes power so you can create a faction to put your great aunt in power so that when she dies you inherit the kingdom. It’s a game where you can seduce your sister so that you can ensure her participation in a plot to murder her husband because her husband had murdered your wife. It’s a game where you can grant your kind, humble, contented brother a kingdom, where he can grow proud and cruel and ambitious over the decades, where he can eventually rise up against your legitimate rule and try to claim your empire for his own, where you are maimed and he is killed on the same battlefield, leading to your premature death and your five year old daughter inheriting the empire shortly thereafter. Crusader Kings II is basically the best Game of Thrones simulator ever conceived.

Say, is there a Game of Thrones mod?
Damn right there is. There’s also a Warhammer mod. In fact, there are hundreds of mods for the game, expanding or replacing much of the original content.

Does it have achievements?
It does in Iron Man mode, and the Achievement List gives an idea of the scope of the game. The achievements range from easy ones like The Marriage Game and Until Death Do Us Part (“Marry another character” and “Have your spouse assassinated” respectively) to quite challenging ones like The British Raj or Legacy of Rome (“Rule the Empire of Britannia as a Hindu, Buddhist or Jain character” and “Restore the Roman Empire” respectively).

There seems to be an awful lot of DLC for the game
Yes. Yes there is. Fortunately, none of it is mandatory. Much of the DLC is graphical packs that add culture-specific portraits and armies to the game. Paradox is using a development strategy wherein they’ve continued to develop new content for the game, now three years old, funded by the sale of DLC. Each DLC brings along with it a substantial patch that increases the functionality of the base game. If you don’t buy the DLC you get some of the new features, if you buy the DLC you get all of the new features. The DLC frequently goes on sale for 75% off; the recommendation that most players would likely make is to try the base game, and if you enjoy that to consider buying the DLC that interest you while it’s on sale.

What’s are the major DLC, and what do they do?
Each of the major DLC adds something to the game. Sword of Islam adds the ability to play Moslem rulers, who have slightly different rules and mechanics than the Christian rulers of the base game. Legacy of Rome adds content to the Byzantine Empire, and adds the ability to create standing armies. The Republic adds the ability to play as merchant republics, like Venice, who have substantially different rules and mechanics than feudal lords. The Old Gods allows for an 867 start date and for the player to play as a Pagan ruler (i.e., a Viking). Sons of Abraham adds role playing content for Christians and Moslems, and allows the player to play as a Jew. Rajas of India allows the player to play in India as a Buddhist, Jain, or Hindu monarch. Charlemagne pushes the timeline even further back, to 769, adds tribal rulers, and includes a substantial amount of role playing content for some historical figures at the time. Way of Life allows players greater control over their characters ambitions and hobbies, allowing players to focus their characters interests for practical and role playing reasons.

What DLC should I get?
Opinions on the subject vary, but currently the most important DLC is likely Charlemagne, Way of Life, and the Old Gods, allowing the player to play from the earliest possible start date, to increase their role playing options, and to play as a Viking. In addition to those three, Sons of Abraham adds a fair amount of role playing events to the game. The other DLC is certainly worthwhile, but those three or four just named are probably the best value and the most important. It's important to note that the Legacy of Rome DLC offers retinues, standing armies; retinues are relatively weak early in the game and potentially the best armies possible in the late game, but they've also been substantially nerfed in recent patches and are somewhat less important than in the past.

I want to play as a Crusader Queen, can I do that?
Yes! While medieval Europe was not the most egalitarian society in the history of the world by any means, women could and did rise to power. While women face restrictions in game that men do not (i.e., they cannot lead armies, serve on the council in most roles, etc), on the basis of their statistics and potential women are fully the equal of men in every way. The Paradox forums have a thread listing some of the interesting women in history that are available to be played in game; among them are Eleanor of Aquitaine, Margaret Yngling of Scotland, and Isabella of Jerusalem. There is a Catholic heresy in game called Catharism that removes most of the gender restrictions that women face in the game’s medieval society, allowing them to lead armies, serve in all council roles, and to inherit and be landed on the same grounds as men. Also, several mods for the game exist to allow for greater equality for women.

Is there anything else I should know?
While there are a large number of Lets Play and tutorials for the game, and while the game is the most newcomer friendly of Paradox’s grand strategy games, the game doesn’t so much have a learning curve as a learning wall. The game unapologetically provides the player with several dozen systems, threats and mechanics from the very start. It’s highly recommend that a new player start as the count of a single province in Ireland in 1066, ideally in Dublin. Ireland in 1066 has been dubbed the newbie island, as it’s a relatively safe place for players to learn the mechanics of the game. (Please note the use of the term “relatively safe.”)

Can I ask questions in this thread?
Yes! The lying, murdering, philandering, incestuous, plotting, treacherous, warlike folk of this thread are happy to help. Please don’t hesitate to ask anything. We’ve all been at the point where we just don’t understand why we can’t plot to kill a particular child or why our troops won’t load on a ship.

I’ve played this game for two hours, and I’ve already committed five different unspeakable acts in my quest for power. Does this make me a terrible person?
Yes. Yes, it does. You are in fact a horrible person now. But don’t feel bad about it, so is everyone else who plays Crusader Kings II. Don't worry, the feelings of guilt pass, but the satisfaction you get to feel from taking their titles never fades. Welcome to the thread!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
Shadowhope on

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    mmmmmm new thread smell

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Quick edits:

In dlc section, you mean "Sons of Abraham," not "Songs."

You should add Legacy of Rome to the recommended list for retinues.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Fixed, thanks.

I think that with nerfs to retinues they're less important than in the past, but I've added them to recommendations with that caveat.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    And with a new thread, I think its time to start looking at mods for this game.

steam_sig.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

Some of my personal favourites are the Better Gender Law mod and the Status of Women mod. The first allows you to institute Absolute Cognatic, Enatic-Cognatic or Enatic inheritance a few weeks or so after the game starts (with the exception of Muslims and Mongols), allowing you to easily play as women if you want to. Status of Women is a slightly more realistic mod where, if you fulfill certain conditions and have enough piety, women are slowly allowed more power, eventually working up to Absolute Cognatic inheritance.

Then there's the Shattered World mod where everybody in the world starts as a single-county Count. You also get a bunch of unique CB's to make sure nobody's stuck fabricating claims for the first few centuries. Fun, but you are unlikely to encounter much resistance once you got a small blob going.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

Some of my personal favourites are the Better Gender Law mod and the Status of Women mod. The first allows you to institute Absolute Cognatic, Enatic-Cognatic or Enatic inheritance a few weeks or so after the game starts (with the exception of Muslims and Mongols), allowing you to easily play as women if you want to. Status of Women is a slightly more realistic mod where, if you fulfill certain conditions and have enough piety, women are slowly allowed more power, eventually working up to Absolute Cognatic inheritance.

Then there's the Shattered World mod where everybody in the world starts as a single-county Count. You also get a bunch of unique CB's to make sure nobody's stuck fabricating claims for the first few centuries. Fun, but you are unlikely to encounter much resistance once you got a small blob going.

Are mods of this nature compatible with choosing a mod that changes the map to a non-real setting?

steam_sig.png

Are mods of this nature compatible with choosing a mod that changes the map to a non-real setting?

I don't know. The everyone-is-a-count one probably wouldn't be.

But if the non-real map mods don't touch the inheritance system, I'd say those would be compatible.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The last thread died under suspicious circumstances. :(

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Chicken for lunch today, I think.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It should know better than to hang out in inns that smell of manure.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Inns are surprisingly combustible these days.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    All I'm gonna say is that Shadowhope's profile shows the "Known Murderer" trait now and my likng of him is diminished.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular

Let us celebrate! With... beer.

camo_sig2.png
    Auralynx wrote: »
    All I'm gonna say is that Shadowhope's profile shows the "Known Murderer" trait now and my likng of him is diminished.

Good . . . but bad.

So, is there any way to see what holy orders not affiliated with your faith are doing? It would be very useful for my viking Empire to see what Holy Orders are already doing something and which are going to be raised the moment I declare war on a Catholic nation. My 10k pointish retinue can crush one Holy Order stack but 2 or 3 gets more troublesome.

Likewise, I'm curious if you can see the Moral Authority of another faith is. It's just about 1100 in my game and Francia loves its Anti-pope something fierce yet their MA is obviously still too high for heresies to be common (likely due to my idiot vassals constantly trying to holy war Scotland from Germanic Wales and Ireland and face planting in front of two Holy Orders).

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile

Funny thing that: I exist in game, and since I have the lunatic trait, I end up getting Known Murderer a lot.

ueJpCJA.jpg

The portrait is rocking my brother's beard though.

You can find me chilling in Kent in 1066.

Likewise, I'm curious if you can see the Moral Authority of another faith is. It's just about 1100 in my game and Francia loves its Anti-pope something fierce yet their MA is obviously still too high for heresies to be common (likely due to my idiot vassals constantly trying to holy war Scotland from Germanic Wales and Ireland and face planting in front of two Holy Orders).

You can actually. Down in the lower right, next to the tiny Main Menu button, is the Ledger button, which has a bunch of numbers and information for you. Page 4 of the Ledger lists all religions and heresies along with their Moral Authority, Current Religious Head (if any) and size.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Funny thing that: I exist in game, and since I have the lunatic trait, I end up getting Known Murderer a lot.

ueJpCJA.jpg

Is this a coincidence or

(also that's a truly fantastic OP, great even in the sea of great OPs around here)

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    edited March 2015
    The Sauce wrote: »

ueJpCJA.jpg

Is this a coincidence or

(also that's a truly fantastic OP, great even in the sea of great OPs around here)

Thanks!

And yep, that's me. I'm about twice as old in real life as I am in game, but I wanted to make sure that my character lived a long time in game. And I was seventeen once after all. There was a AA contest thing shortly after SOI came out, and I got to put a character in the game. I found the origins of my family name, found out where they were from, found out their family crest, and sent that to Paradox with a list of the traits that I wanted. I had no control over the portrait though.

Shadowhope on
    The Sauce wrote: »

ueJpCJA.jpg

Is this a coincidence or

Thanks!

And yep, that's me. I'm about twice as old in real life as I am in game, but I wanted to make sure that my character lived a long time in game. And I was seventeen once after all. There was a AA contest thing shortly after SOI came out, and I got to put a character in the game. I found the origins of my family name, found out where they were from, found out their family crest, and sent that to Paradox with a list of the traits that I wanted. I had no control over the portrait though.

Can't have it all you greedy bastard.

Steam Profile
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I see this but not sure how well it works: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=400037281

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    waldensian.jpg~original

I had no part in this, Charlemagne's court chaplain lover made him convert to Waldensianism and afterwards Charlemagne conquered Rome

I'm currently Duke of Brittany and I wonder what I should do - Waldensianism is a bit boring unfortunately since they have no special mechanics

Benevento was among the duchies which broke free and originally stayed Catholic, kinda wish I could have continued playing as them (it's an Ironman game)

So I finally managed to turn Scandanavia to feudalism, it's like 825-850 (I forget the exact date because I've been playing pillars of eternity, but I'm on my third ruler). This shit is hard! I'm not really seeing any opinion penalties, but I went from being able to win wars without even raising my own troops to being able to summon maybe a stack of 1000 if I'm lucky. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it because several of my provinces don't have stone hillforts/castles yet? still not totally sure how it all works.

camo_sig2.png
    So I finally managed to turn Scandanavia to feudalism, it's like 825-850 (I forget the exact date because I've been playing pillars of eternity, but I'm on my third ruler). This shit is hard! I'm not really seeing any opinion penalties, but I went from being able to win wars without even raising my own troops to being able to summon maybe a stack of 1000 if I'm lucky. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it because several of my provinces don't have stone hillforts/castles yet? still not totally sure how it all works.

Nope, you're doing it right.

The problem with shifting to feudalism is that you basically lose the vast majority of your troops. I tried a game in Kiev a little while back that was going really well. I shifted to feudalism too early, and I went from being one of the great powers of the world to being a small vassal in danger of losing what little I had in the span of about twenty years.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The transition is supposed to be risky! But the thing about not having stone hillforts in some provinces is also true, you will get a massive levy penalty if you directly hold unupgraded tribal lands as a feudal ruler.

shit.

camo_sig2.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    My preferred way of doing it (albeit with very limited experience) has been to capture some civilized lands to use as a power base before transitioning. Having even just 2-3 decent provinces is really helpful for the stability of your realm, especially as your newly feudalized vassals will have almost no troops.

Thats a good tip, thanks. Although too late for me on this run through.

camo_sig2.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    The transition is supposed to be risky! But the thing about not having stone hillforts in some provinces is also true, you will get a massive levy penalty if you directly hold unupgraded tribal lands as a feudal ruler.

One thing to remember about transitions is that you can upgrade your vassal's holdings. So you can make sure all the territories are ready to swap to keeps / grand cities to avoid a billion years of "wrong type of lord" penalties.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    BYToady wrote: »

One thing to remember about transitions is that you can upgrade your vassal's holdings. So you can make sure all the territories are ready to swap to keeps / grand cities to avoid a billion years of "wrong type of lord" penalties.

I found that holding off on creating duchies until I hit that phase was a good idea. By granting the titles to vassals that could upgrade to stone hillforts I didn't have to deal with anywhere near as many unhappy vassals after the transition.

Steam Profile
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Gah, being a feudal ruler with a bunch of broke-ass tribal vassals isn't that bad, considering how surprisingly easy it is to overcome that -30 malus, but I don't want to put my own money into upgrading their resentful asses

But because they make no money on their own, I feel like they're going to remain tribal for hundreds of in-game years, possibly even post-1066, where there aren't any tribal holdings at all where i'm at

http://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/2knpe3/map_showing_tribal_holdings_at_769_867_and_1066/

that map is frustrating because i'm approaching 867 and everything in red is still tribal :x

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I found that if you get the feudal type levies while in tribal you can use them to raid without any real costs, it makes upgrading everyones stuff much easier.

Really you should have done prepared invasions or have lots of vassals so invading, say, England for a few feudal lands isn't a bad idea.

I actually held 4 feudal counties as a tribal government and it basically doubled my income for a while, plus you can raid nearby feudal catholic areas without using expensive boats.

Spending prestige to upgrade to level 4 tribal buildings also helps with the transition a bit since you get level 2 feudal buildings.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Speaking of CKII: The Horse Lords

There was a Humble Bundle recently with a bunch of other Paradox strategy games that I haven't tried (Victoria, Hearts of Iron, Sengoku). Anyone have any experience with them? I ended up passing because they all seemed decently older than CK and I doubt I could handle a retrograde. A Late 19th/early 20th century setting is awfully tempting though...

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yesssssss!

Still getting updates years after release. So happy!

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yaay!

I guess this inevitably means china, huh?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    My only problem is that now I don't want to start a new game because new stuff is coming out, but once the new stuff is out it will probably be buggy for a little while.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I kinda hope no China. China would mean the rest of the old world, and then it becomes Medieval EU rather than CK2.

India was a nice surprise and I love it, but personally I hope the map does not expand anymore.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    Speaking of CKII: The Horse Lords
    RPS wrote:
    Paradox are preparing to inject some of that “Khan-do” spirit into Crusader Kings II.

You go to hell, RPS. You go to hell and you die.
    <3

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Once this new DLC is out (and I've waited a week or so to see any major issues ironed out) I think it'll be time for my next playthrough.

The reason I'll wait is because every other time I already had a game going and new DLC came out, the save became incompatible or I tried for a bunch of new achievements, forgetting that games in progress won't count towards new achievements that were added after the game was started.

DarkPrimus on
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    I've been spending some time with CK2 after playing EU IV, it's quite fun! Has anyone been able to achieve "Empressive"? What tips or ruler would you recommend going with?

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Basque cultured characters can set their inheritance laws to be equal between men and women. Then you can wait for the 50% three times in a row or try to fenangle it with elective or some other

less ... pleasant means.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)