As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, March 27, 2015 - Provisional Resignation

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Friday, March 27, 2015 - Provisional Resignation

Provisional Resignation

Provisional Resignation

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/03/27

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Kwisatz Haderach Kwisatz Haderach The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. Registered User regular
    Three comics on a new game? Now I really wanna know what the hype is all about :)

Now to get a PS4...

• Options
    wojtschekwojtschek Registered User new member
    2nd panel pure artistry awesomeness. Love the sunlight on tycho's face and the loving, fogiving, parental smile. Stacking stairs? Brilliant.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the word post on this one

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    There is no shame in using the environment and architecture to your advantage in Bloodborne.

In fact I believe players are intended to use it. I mean... In real life would you just stand out in the open and let two werewolves tear you apart, or would you run back to a safe area where they get stuck in a doorway and you can kill them easily?

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    I want "I'm super DOUBLE quitting" on a shirt.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I don't think we've ever seen the back of Gabe's head before? Or at least not so directly. It seems a little too round, as in the hairstyle doesn't seem to match up. Or maybe it's just he a has a reverse mullet kind of thing going on. And no, spending the morning considering a comic character's coiffure is perfectly normal behavior thankyouverymuch

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    WhyroonWhyroon Registered User regular
    Very funny, very relatable.

Absolutely gorgeous art on this one; I'm really digging watching Mike feel around outside his comfort zone and this one seems particularly successful.

• Options
    EmperorOfLemursEmperorOfLemurs Registered User new member
    Had this EXACT reaction when i first started Dark Souls! Goddammit I wish I had a PS4 so I could play Bloodborne.

Also, awesome art in the second panel. Love Tycho's face.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    There is no shame in using the environment and architecture to your advantage in Bloodborne.

In fact I believe players are intended to use it. I mean... In real life would you just stand out in the open and let two werewolves tear you apart, or would you run back to a safe area where they get stuck in a doorway and you can kill them easily?

The Three Stooges Manoeuvre

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The facial expressions here are great :lol:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    For some reason, I want to see something shaved into the back of Gabe's head. It's very rare that we get to see him at that angle lol.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This is so true. Balls hard games like this tend to bring out the best in gamers. I pounded my face against Metal Gear Rising's Revengeance difficulty for so long that perfect parrys are second nature now. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

The Three Stooges Manoeuvre

In Tabletop RPG context, I believe this is regarded as the "Conga Line of Death."

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I am only the middle panel when it comes to difficult games.
    Specifically the second word bubble.
    I get just as mad though.
    But quit? Never. Ever.
    I have to be torn off the machine.
    I will get my vengeance.

That second panel resonated.

I think of all kinds of crazy ass shit when I hit a wall. I just keep on thinking up crazy shit until it works or it starts to look like one of the crazy ass plans might work, in which case I'll try it again.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I like to think the graded paper on the fridge is authored by Gabe or Tycho.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Heh, Bloodborne, just like all the Souls games before it comes in 3 acts:

Act 1: Get hopelessly Murdered.
    Act 2: Throw controller and let out a rage screen.
    *intermission* (usually more screaming)
    Act 3: Come back, and own that shit like a motherfucking BOSS.

Lingering Grin on
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Now that is some good lighting and shading. Well done, Gabe!

I know you probably didn't read my advice for last time but it really looks like you got a better handle on the style you're working on within the time between the last comic and this one.

• Options
    Trogdor6135Trogdor6135 Registered User regular
    Imagining Tycho as some sort of mentor role in this seems to make his smile all the better.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Showed my girlfriend this comic and she said "Tycho is doing the dishes? That's amazing!"

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Caribbean_SmurfCaribbean_Smurf Registered User regular
    So, yeah. Okay. Can we have a Pillars of Eternity comic now? Maybe?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Is that Mr. Period on the fridge?

• Options
    PBMadCatPBMadCat Registered User regular
    While it's cool watching your artstyle evolve, Gabe, I'm sorta not a fan of the perma-smug smirk on all the characters nowadays.

• Options
    HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular
    Oh, do I know that feel.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Showed my girlfriend this comic and she said "Tycho is doing the dishes? That's amazing!"

On that note, who doesn't roll up their sleeves when doing dishes?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »

On that note, who doesn't roll up their sleeves when doing dishes?

Clearly Mike has never done the dishes.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    In reference to the latest text post, I think the worst thing that the Souls series ever did for itself was market itself as 'hard', with 'prepare to die' and such. It's definately harder than other games but the difficulty isn't the point. The point is that every trap, every encounter, has a solution, but you have to put a lot of effort into the solution to find it. The game is actually very forgiving in terms of difficulty, while you can die, you can just as easily recover from that death, and at no point will you be barred from progress because of your skill level, since you can call in help, or take another path, or just grind somewhere until you're strong enough.

By marketing itself as hard the souls series has had the 'well I'm not good at videogames, so I wouldn't enjoy it' reaction, as well as the even worse 'well I died a lot, but that's just because it's hard' reaction i.e brute forcing until it works because the game is 'hard' instead of trying to find the better solution like you're supposed to. The first boss of Dark Souls 1 is guilty of this, but also an important lesson if you know what to look for. You're placed in a fight with a boss you couldn't possibly beat at your skill level, not with the broken sword hilt you start with. But because the game is 'hard' people just assume the miniscule damage is part of the challenge and try to win anyway, until they notice an escape route they can take to get a real weapon and face the boss again later. Every boss fight, every encounter, has an intended solution or at least some pattern to follow that makes things a LOT easier, but you have to find it yourself.

It's definately more challenging than other games, but in most other games when you die, it's because the challenge set up for you was difficult and the enemies overpowered you- for example, there's very few times when a death in Halo on a higher difficulty can really be blamed on the player, it was the game that did it. In Souls when you die, it's usually because you made a mistake or approached the encounter the wrong way.

'Usually'. There's definately exceptions to that rule all over. Ornstein and Smough comes to mind...

Invertin on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    PBMadCat wrote: »
    While it's cool watching your artstyle evolve, Gabe, I'm sorta not a fan of the perma-smug smirk on all the characters nowadays.

I was just looking back through the recent strips and I'm not sure what you're talking about? Gabe's only had a smug look in the 2 or 3 strips where he's specifically acting smug and Tycho, well, he's Tycho. It's in character.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Prepare to die" was basically an injoke. Difficulty isn't the point. No, seriously, die. It's fine.

I'm all about using stairs. As a child, I fell down stairs every day until I developed superpowers.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Stairs are my super power.
    I'm the StairMaster.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Werewolf number two be all
    10gxkt5.jpg

• Options
    noblersonnoblerson Registered User regular
    I want "Werewolf me once, shame on you" to be a thing.