As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    catalyst wrote:
    I'm also debating which system to get PSU for.

I have a PS2, 360, and a PC capable of playing the game. I consider myself a PC gamer primarily and have many more PC games than all console games combined.

I'm leaning towards the 360 version though because I'm hoping I can recreate the freaking awesome experience I had with PSO on DC. Plus, I think a game like this will handle better with a controller.

I have a PS2 and a PC. Here are my thoughts which will include your 360.

The 360 will link up all regions but will only include 360 users. PC and PS2 versions will both share the same servers but will not be sharing all the different regions. I could be wrong but I believe they don't go further than Europe. On paper is sounds like the 360 will have more people playing from across the globe, but I think that in practice it's not going to be the case. 360s are greatly outnumbered by PS2s and PCs, let alone the fact that they are not that much popular on the Asian market. Even if it was the case, I bet the time frames will go against you as well. I'm downright positive that the best looking PSU will be found on the 360 but I would rather insure a healthy number of players on my servers.

There are way more PS2s out there (albeit they are slowly getting abandonned) while there are tons of PCs. Most of all, PCs have KEYBOARDS, and who does not own a head set already? On the other hand, I would think that this game is best played with a joystick. For this fact alone I'm thinking about getting an 360 game pad or at the very least something closely equivalent to play the game. Playing this on the PS2 would be my close second choice but I'm not sure how it's going to handle the game yet.

No, you don't need an HDD to play it.

In the end, I think my PC is more trustworthy to run this, plus the keyboard and all will make things more enjoyable I believe. If I feel cheaper I'll go for the PS2 and play on my big ass TV in my big ass couch.

360: players from all over the world. Robust and probably the best looking version. Live with headsets and all will probably provide for a greater game experience.

PCs: Keyboards, some headset users, but probably way more people playing it. Better get a joystick to play this which might be extra costs.

PS2: Sharing a bigger user base, good joystick, comfort of your living room. Probably the ugliest version though.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    All the versions support a USB keyboard, so bear that in mind.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Voth wrote:

Do you own a keyboard for your consoles? Do you often unplug your PC Keyboard to plug it on your consoles? How many other players do this regularly?

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If your PC cables aren't out of reach and you're not using your PC, then I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, I have a spare USB keyboard that works fine with my PS2 Fat (was used for FFXI).

Ichnob on
  • Options
    KrellKrell Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I would have gotten the PC version, but apparently it has no widescreen support whatsoever. So, 360 it is (unless somebody can confirm that I heard wrong).

Krell on
    LordKrell00.jpg
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ichnob wrote:
    If your PC cables aren't out of reach and you're not using your PC, then I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, I have a spare USB keyboard that works fine with my PS2 Fat (was used for FFXI).
    Not to mention a simple USB keyboard can be had for about $10.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ichnob wrote:

No it's not a big deal, but I think it would be obvious that people won't be doing it most of the time. Either they will get tired of setting things up before each game or they will be have problems with keeping the keyboard in close practical reach.

On your PC, it's there and very will placed by default.

If everyone get's tired of using keyboards later on then it won't be a problem altogether.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Frugus wrote:
    Voth wrote:

Do you own a keyboard for your consoles? Do you often unplug your PC Keyboard to plug it on your consoles? How many other players do this regularly?

I actually have a universal KB for the GC, 360, and PS2. I'm not sure if it's common or not.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm getting it for PS2 because I think my PS2 could run it better than my 3 year old PC, also I want to sit on my couch with my bigscreen and play it there also my friends are getting it for PC/PS2 as well.

Once I get a better graphics card, I will probably buy it for PC as well if I enjoy it enough. Your characters are held server-side so you can freely go between PS2 and PC.

I really don't see why people freak out at $10/month. Thats just a little over a quarter a day. If you buy a 50 cent pack of gum a day, that is more than PSU costs. If you go to the movies once or twice a month that is the same or more than PSU costs depending on your theatre. Its a tiny amount of money.

If you don't like the game or think it isn't worth playing. That is fine and good, but blaming it on a tiny amount of money compared to what the rest of the gaming world devours from a person's income just makes you seem stingy and paranoid about money matters or not looking at what the game really requires to keep itself running and still turn a profit.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm getting it for PS2 because I think my PS2 could run it better than my 3 year old PC, also I want to sit on my couch with my bigscreen and play it there and my friends are getting it for PC and PS2 as well.

Once I get a better graphics card, I will probably buy it for PC as well if I enjoy it enough. Your characters are held server-side so you can freely go between PS2 and PC.

I really don't see why people freak out at $10/month. Thats just a little over a quarter a day. If you buy a 50 cent pack of gum a day, that is more than PSU costs. If you go to the movies once or twice a month that is the same or more than PSU costs depending on your theatre. Its a tiny amount of money.

If you don't like the game or think it isn't worth playing. That is fine and good, but blaming it on a tiny amount of money compared to what the rest of the gaming world devours from a person's income just makes you seem stingy and paranoid about money matters or not looking at what the game really requires to keep itself running and still turn a profit.

It's a matter of principle. I don't see what Sega is giving me that merits $10 a month, especially when I can get similar things from other companies for free.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's a matter of principle. I don't see what Sega is giving me that merits $10 a month, especially when I can get similar things from other companies for free.

I've found that "principles" are usually just an excuse for people to support their bias.

Sega is charging for server upkeep, future content updates, game security and customer support. This is more than Blizzard's shitty little battle.net service that is just a chatroom and then Peer-to-Peer connections. Besides, the Diablo series was incredibly popular and could be supported by merely the huge number of game sales.

Guild Wars is supported by a network of MMOGs that make money on their own. Also, basic things in GW are free, if you want advanced content and features you have to pay for them. Guild Wars is not 100% free, just the basic game.

If you can find another Sci-Fi Online Action RPG as robust as PSU that is completely free and isn't making the company which supports it lose money on the venture. Then I will say you are right and Sega is just being "greedy" because you know, companies aren't suppossed to make money.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sega is charging for server upkeep, future content updates, game security and customer support. This is more than Blizzard's shitty little battle.net service that is just a chatroom and then Peer-to-Peer connections.
    o_O

Closed battle.net games were hosted by Blizzard; they weren't peer-to-peer.

The rest of your ill-conceived rant aside, you're way off on that one.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

I've found that "principles" are usually just an excuse for people to support their bias.

Sega is charging for server upkeep, future content updates, game security and customer support. This is more than Blizzard's shitty little battle.net service that is just a chatroom and then Peer-to-Peer connections. Besides, the Diablo series was incredibly popular and could be supported by merely the huge number of game sales.

Guild Wars is supported by a network of MMOGs that make money on their own. Also, basic things in GW are free, if you want advanced content and features you have to pay for them. Guild Wars is not 100% free, just the basic game.

If you can find another Sci-Fi Online Action RPG as robust as PSU that is completely free and isn't making the company which supports it lose money on the venture. Then I will say you are right and Sega is just being "greedy" because you know, companies aren't suppossed to make money.

You haven't named anything not supplied by Guild Wars yet.

I paid $50 for Guild Wars, and I can sign in at any time and play. There's no cheating that I know of, all characters, as far as I know, are stored server-side, and there's been several content updates that cost nothing.

While I can buy an expansion for access to lots of new stuff, I can always play the basic game, without paying another dime.

The fact that Sega somehow can't manage this with PSO, or chooses not to, is not my problem. They're not offering anything above what other products offer, but are charging more for it, and I will not support that.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Something I noticed in the OP a little late...
    Classes

Games are created at a "Mission Counter" where you create a game with certain goals and objectives. Up to 6 players can be in a single game. Before you choose a mission you must decide your class as well. There are 3 base and 4 "Expert" classes in Phantasy Star Universe.

Fortefighter (Hunter) -- A pure melee fighter. Has excellent Attack power and Defense power, but has to get into close range as he cannot use magic and only small firearms such as pistols. They specialize in dealing and taking damage.

Fortegunner (Ranger) -- A pure gunner. Has excellent Attack power, range, and Accuracy. However, they must stay at a distance to fight effectively and ranged weapons devour ammunition quickly. They work best as a support class, finishing off and debuffing monsters with special bullet effects.

Fortetecher (Force) -- A pure technique-caster. Can use all techniques and is well-versed in the use of all tech-casting weapons and a few ranged weapons. However, he has very low HP and Defense power, can be killed easily and relies heavily on Technique points which drain with each casting. Can work well as a Buffer/Debuffer, Damage Dealer, or Healer depending on which Techniques are equipped.

Expert Classes

Expert classes are advanced classes which combine elements of other classes to create hybrids. They are obtained by reaching the max level of the classes they combine.

Figunner (Hunter + Ranger) -- Able to use both melee weapons and ranged weapons.

Guntechter (Ranger + Force) -- Able use ranged weapons as well as cast techniques.

Wartecher (Force + Hunter) -- Able to cast techniques as well as use melee weapons.

Protranser -- An expert trap-setter. Able to use all traps including those of much greater power than normal and a large variety of weapons.
    Fortefighter, Fortegunner, and Fortetecher are actually expert classes as well. You could call them the advanced classes of the three basic classes, but there are differences as they are expert classes.

Hunter, Ranger, and Force can reach job level 10 (I have no idea what your character's base level will be at this time), can use up to B-Rank equippable weapons, and have up to level 10 for their respective Photon Arts.

Fortefighter, Fortegunner, and Fortetecher can reach job level 20 (like the other expert classes), have access to A-Rank and some S-Rank weapons, and can have up to level 30 for primary Photon Art and level 10 for their supplementary Photon Art (Fortefighter -- 30 Skill/10 Bullet; Fortegunner -- 30 Bullet/10Skill; Fortetecher -- 30 Technique/10Skill).

Ichnob on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Installed and...

...patching...

There's no CD-key that I can find, which is odd.

piL on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

I paid $50 for Guild Wars, and I can sign in at any time and play. There's no cheating that I know of, all characters, as far as I know, are stored server-side, and there's been several content updates that cost nothing.

While I can buy an expansion for access to lots of new stuff, I can always play the basic game, without paying another dime.

The fact that Sega somehow can't manage this with PSO, or chooses not to, is not my problem. They're not offering anything above what other products offer, but are charging more for it, and I will not support that.

So you are basing your argument off of ONE game out of hundreds of online games?

You are saying becuase this game doesn't meet to your expectations of one other online game. It isn't worth your time? Thats fine, but don't expect others to agree with you.

also.. last time I checked. Sega didn't have about 5 other online games under their belt making money for any other online ventures they wanted to try.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    piL wrote:
    Installed and...

...patching...

Where are you from? And which guardian license did you get? ($10 for 1 month, or $50 for 6 months)

Ichnob on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

So you are basing your argument off of ONE game out of hundreds of online games?

You are saying becuase this game doesn't meet to your expectations of one other online game. It isn't worth your time? Thats fine, but don't expect others to agree with you.

also.. last time I checked. Sega didn't have about 5 other online games under their belt making money for any other online ventures they wanted to try.

I'm confused by your statement. ArenaNet makes one game, Guild Wars. All of their funding comes from sales of that title, and their servers are paid for by sales of that title.

The simple fact is, aside from Dungeons and Dragons Online, I can't think of any other online game that requires a monthly payment, but doesn't create and support a persistant world.

Sega creates a chat room that lets me find people to play my game with, and then I play it. It's exactly the fuck like Blizzard's setup for Battle.net, and I just cannot justify paying them for this "service" which is an intrinsic part of the game I'm paying for.

It worked fine in PSO, I don't see why it can't work now, except that they discovered people were willing to pay more for it. I, for one, won't.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ichnob wrote:
    piL wrote:
    Installed and...

...patching...

Where are you from? And which guardian license did you get? ($10 for 1 month, or $50 for 6 months)

I'm from KY, and the mail was very good to me I guess. I just grabbed the $10 for one month. A lot of patching all things considered. I'm on 69%.

EDIT: Also, this is the PC version

piL on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    piL wrote:
    Ichnob wrote:
    piL wrote:
    Installed and...

...patching...

I'm from KY, and the mail was very good to me I guess. I just grabbed the $10 for one month. A lot of patching all things considered. I'm on 69%.

EDIT: Also, this is the PC version
    Mail was indeed very good to you. 1 more hour before I start calling multiple Gamestops, asking about their shipment deliveries.

Ichnob on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It worked fine in PSO, I don't see why it can't work now, except that they discovered people were willing to pay more for it. I, for one, won't.

It worked fine for ONE version of PSO years ago. The japanese had to pay for the original PSO, the American version was free online because Sega didn't think it would be a smash hit and thousands of people would start playing. Every version of PSO after that had a subscription fee.

And Guild Wars is a part of NCSoft, the company that owns Lineage 1 and 2, City of Heroes/Villains, Auto Assault. I'm sure you have intimate knowledge of their business workings and how profittable Guild Wars is.

I just don't subscribe to the idea that I deserve to be getting something for nothing. Regardless of what you think running an online game isn't free. If a company wants to turn a profit on it they have to charge money for various reasons. If you think that is a rip-off fine. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you it isn't.

Just don't expect people who don't agree with you to act like they are getting ripped off or being taken advantage of and the company is doing something wrong.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Woohoo, picked it up during my lunch break. I was able to install and make a character before I had to be back at work. That was a hell of a lot to be patching on the first day. I can't wait to get home.

redhalo on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

It worked fine for ONE version of PSO years ago. The japanese had to pay for the original PSO, the American version was free online because Sega didn't think it would be a smash hit and thousands of people would start playing. Every version of PSO after that had a subscription fee.

And Guild Wars is a part of NCSoft, the company that owns Lineage 1 and 2, City of Heroes/Villains, Auto Assault. I'm sure you have intimate knowledge of their business workings and how profittable Guild Wars is.

I just don't subscribe to the idea that I deserve to be getting something for nothing. Regardless of what you think running an online game isn't free. If a company wants to turn a profit on it they have to charge money for various reasons. If you think that is a rip-off fine. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you it isn't.

Just don't expect people who don't agree with you to act like they are getting ripped off or being taken advantage of and the company is doing something wrong.
    I agree with this. If your willing to pay for it at the price Sega asks for, then the value is there to you. If you don't pay for it becuase you don't think it's fair then you wern't ripped off. The only way this is bad is if you paid for something they told you you'd get and you didn't (false advertising) That's how a free market works.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    redhalo wrote:

I agree with this. If your willing to pay for it at the price Sega asks for, then the value is there to you. If you don't pay for it becuase you don't think it's fair then you wern't ripped off. The only way this is bad is if you paid for something they told you you'd get and you didn't (false advertising) That's how a free market works.

That's really all I'm saying. I'd love to play the game, but they've set the cost higher than I'm willing to pay. I'm merely explaining why.

I guess anything's better than the Xbox version of PSO, which you couldn't even use without a subscription to Live, even offline.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    redhalo wrote:

That's really all I'm saying. I'd love to play the game, but they've set the cost higher than I'm willing to pay. I'm merely explaining why.

I guess anything's better than the Xbox version of PSO, which you couldn't even use without a subscription to Live, even offline.
    That was probably poor implementation from both parties.

Ichnob on
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm kind of skeptical as to how this game will look on the PC. I know when I played the PC version of PSO it made me wonder how I was ever able to stand PSO on the DC.

In defense of the 360 version, USB keyboards are easy to obtain, the 360 will even take advantage of wireless keyboards. During PSO on the DC people had no trouble with communication, that was back when it was hard to get a keyboard for the DC. It is a downer that only 360 users can play together, althought the benefit there is most everyone will take advantage of Voice Comm.

I'd like to see some reviews and hear some first hand experience before I make my decision.

PC users please share your experiences :D

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Your best bet for impressions would probably be at PSO-World. Just remember that most of the people on that forum love the game.

Ichnob on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I don't have time to play this before class, but wee:

ssoritdidnthappen.jpg

piL on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Don't buy the game?

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Frugus wrote:

Don't buy the game?

yea I mean why even post here, if you had gotten the game and figured it wasn't worth the money and want to inform people of why then thats perfectly understandable but theres no reason to bother posting about something you obviously don't care about enough to try out. unless you're just trying to get into an argument over how much this game is teh suxors compared to other mmos that you personally enjoy. if its not worth your money then dont buy it and dont spend time making posts about it.

Zavian on
  • Options
    ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So who else is picking this up for 360? I'm gonna need some fun peeps to roll with.

I'm picking it up tomorrow or on Friday.

Zonghui on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So PS2 and PC people, I'd like to know where we'll be hanging out. You know, in case we want to slay. Together.

piL on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I just picked up the game and have been configuring my PS2 to play it. Once I get online I will try to setup a Universe and ship where we can hang out.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zonghui wrote:
    So who else is picking this up for 360? I'm gonna need some fun peeps to roll with.

I will be after I get off work, the BETA wasn't too shabby. A good change of pace from sitting on my ass in ffxi.

I kinda hope not....I need to make a better F-CAST then I made during the Beta anyway :p.

/Death.exe shall be the ruiner of worlds, with her one eye and whatnot.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Is there a guild system thing? I haven't seen any guild tags as I've gone around. Should we put our own tags on there?

piL on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zonghui wrote:

You and me son, and probably Strat if he gets off his lazy ass and buys it.

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    piL wrote:
    So PS2 and PC people, I'd like to know where we'll be hanging out. You know, in case we want to slay. Together.
    Just got the game...installing at the moment. I'll be making two characters, and I'll put the names in my sig once I'm done. Heard there were two worlds (servers).

Ichnob on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I just finished up the online tutorial a little while ago and made a game. I'm currently on Universe 01. The rest of the Universes seem deserted. You go to the 4th floor of the colony and in the NorthEastern corner is the Transport place where you select missions and form parties.

I'm playing the PS2 version. My character name is Black Heart.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    UberEv wrote:
    Zonghui wrote:

You and me son, and probably Strat if he gets off his lazy ass and buys it.

I have a pretty nice sized group of players getting it for the 360 as well. Gamertag of Kirin. Sent me a friend request over live and you guys shall never go without a group. I spent over 30 hours in the beta the weekend it came out and never once was I without a full party of people I knew.

Aoi on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd love to get into this, but I have this fear about online games, apart from sports titles, where I worry that people are miles ahead of me if I don't get the game at the same time. And living in europe, I don't get games at the same time.

This is especially true with mmorpgs, where you want to be experiencing things for the first time with your group, rather than doing things they've all done ages ago.

I'll have to see about this one...

Perdurabo on