As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Fucking Thread About the 2016 Elections, Seriously, What the Hell, I Don't Even

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Rand Paul would be great because he in theory supports legal weed, read that shit about religion in government read it and tattoo in your fucking brain he's awful.

Rand has been (IMO) right on like...3 things since becoming a senator: Drug legalization, cutting off the spigot of money to Israel, and his stand over extra judicial drone assassinations. So that's like 3 good ideas amongst the 100's of really bad ones.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Rand Paul would be great because he in theory supports legal weed, read that shit about religion in government read it and tattoo in your fucking brain he's awful.

Rand has been (IMO) right on like...3 things since becoming a senator: Drug legalization, cutting off the spigot of money to Israel, and his stand over extra judicial drone assassinations. So that's like 3 good ideas amongst the 100's of really bad ones.

He's reversed and re-reversed that Israel position like 50 times.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    He flipped on the drone strike thing too, he thinks its ok to blow up people who just robbed a liquor store. And I'm sure legal weed falls under "States rights" in which he'll magically back the most regressive conservative states rights.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DropbearDropbear Registered User regular

Isn't his stance on drones that is it is totally ok to use them to assassinate American citizens on American soil or something like that? I'm not a Paulite so my memory might not be correct here, but I remember Rand having some really holy-crap-keep-this-guy-away-from-power kind of opinions on drone use.

• Options
    Dropbear wrote: »

Isn't his stance on drones that is it is totally ok to use them to assassinate American citizens on American soil or something like that? I'm not a Paulite so my memory might not be correct here, but I remember Rand having some really holy-crap-keep-this-guy-away-from-power kind of opinions on drone use.

He did. Funnily enough he tried to gotcha Eric Holder on it, but then Holder upon seeing him whining all over about how he Holder claimed we could drone strike US citizens flat out said "no we can't."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    yeah, if i recall correctly, Paul did his little filibuster stunt to protest drone strikes of american citizens on american soil

to which holder responded that, hey guess what, that's already something they can't do

and then paul came out a few months later or something saying he's in favor of drone strikes of american citizens on american soil as long as they were criminals or something

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    yeah, if i recall correctly, Paul did his little filibuster stunt to protest drone strikes of american citizens on american soil

to which holder responded that, hey guess what, that's already something they can't do

and then paul came out a few months later or something saying he's in favor of drone strikes of american citizens on american soil as long as they were criminals or something

Why do my dogs start barking every single time I hear a Paul say criminals?

Must be nothing, I'm sure he's talking about using drones on those guys in Nevada that had the armed standoff with the Bureau of Land Management or something.

• Options

Yeah it was something like hot pursuit of a liqour store suspect and he would be ok if the police drone struck if it would just be too hard to arrest them.

Like literally the stupidest scenario he could support. Lets also not forget that derpublicans only care about Drone strikes because Obama does them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Rand Paul said we should if he was president during the Boston marathon manhunt, he would've ordered drone strikes to get the guy.

Rand Paul is a malignant tumor of a man.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The Pauls are the worst kind of right winger, one that is desperate to not be thought of as a strictly right wing person while holding some of the more abhorent views even more hardcore conservatives tend to avoid. Like being against the civil rights act.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    They're racist, homphobic facists.

They're terrible people.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Pauls are many stupid and terrible things, but fascists is not one of them.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    What I'm getting here is that Rand Paul is apparently Arrow's Amanda Waller.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »

If Amanda Waller cheated on her exams and then bragged about it.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

The actual letter Holder sent is worth reading.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

probably not deliberately, no

but then, neither are Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh, but if that's what all their positions and tactics amount to...

• Options

I'm not sure what else you'd call a lot of, particularly Rand's, opinions and policies.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I'm not sure what else you'd call a lot of, particularly Rand's, opinions and policies.

An incoherent mess.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

An incoherent mess.

Well played.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The Pauls are hands off fascists. They will rant about the evils of federal government but support states doing shit just as bad or worse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I'd vote for Waller over Rand.

• Options

An incoherent mess.

Rand's senate tenure is a very public display of what happens when libertarian philosophy is applied to real world conditions. I think Rand is finding politics isn't quite so simple as he may have thought, hence all the backpeddling. I give him credit though, he seems like one of the only tea party freshman developing some real inside game in the senate. If he ever learns how to hide his disdain for the rest of world, who he is clearly smarter than, he'll be a serious threat, but what he won't be is an libertarian acolyte.

• Options

An incoherent mess.

Rand's senate tenure is a very public display of what happens when libertarian philosophy is applied to real world conditions. I think Rand is finding politics isn't quite so simple as he may have thought, hence all the backpeddling. I give him credit though, he seems like one of the only tea party freshman developing some real inside game in the senate. If he ever learns how to hide his disdain for the rest of world, who he is clearly smarter than, he'll be a serious threat, but what he won't be is an libertarian acolyte.

Not sure if serious... Especially coming from the guy who had several outright examples of plagiarizing people.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

An incoherent mess.

Didn't someone post a graph here not long ago where it showed that both Paul's voting record and their rhetoric was miles apart? In contrast to a lot of "establishment" republicans who were more consistent?

I think that situation perfectly applies to most if not all libertarians. Words are easy, but they come crashing down really quick when faced with reality.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dropbear wrote: »

An incoherent mess.

Didn't someone post a graph here not long ago where it showed that both Paul's voting record and their rhetoric was miles apart? In contrast to a lot of "establishment" republicans who were more consistent?

I think that situation perfectly applies to most if not all libertarians. Words are easy, but they come crashing down really quick when faced with reality.

Pierce calls it the Five Minute Rule - a libertarian (and especially the Pauls) can talk for five minutes and sound reasonable, but as soon as the clock hits 5:01, out comes the guano.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

An incoherent mess.

Rand was never really a libertarian. He's always been very much a neocon on most issues, even before making it into the Senate. Ron Paul fans actually really, really hate him because they see him as betraying his father's legacy, and that's been true since like 08.

He likes to make a lot of really vague, libertarianish statements about small government blah blah. When pressed on actual policy points and when voting on issues, he's very hard right and doesn't mind using the government as a tool one bit. That makes him pretty much indistinguishable from any other Republican, with his father being the most notable feature.

• Options
    Ron Paul wasn't exactly a libertarian mensch himself either. Being a loud Hypocrite goes with the family.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

An incoherent mess.

Not sure if serious... Especially coming from the guy who had several outright examples of plagiarizing people.

Paul is a borderline Anti-Vaxer who wants to eliminate the Department of Education, allow fully unregulated home schooling, is "offended" (his word) by gay marriage, opposes legislation outlawing religious based discriminatory hiring practices, wants a federal abortion ban, believes the free market should be entrusted to choose the best energy source for the nation, is against anything remotely resembling gun control of any sort, believes people on medicare should "bear more of the burden" financially, wants to repeal the ACA saying that "Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be 'constitutional' does not make it so", and wants to rewrite the 14th amendment to exclude children of illegal immigrants.

"Clearly smarter than the rest of the world" is a fucking shaky claim at best.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ron Paul wasn't exactly a libertarian mensch himself either. Being a loud Hypocrite goes with the family.

it's easy to have ideals when you never plan on accomplishing anything.

• Options
    rand paul is somewhat politically savvy, which might seem like intelligence if you don't know what to look for

most major politicians have the same thing going on

a few are actually smart, like hillary clinton and john boehner

• Options

it's easy to have ideals when you never plan on accomplishing anything.

This is very much true. I will forever remember paul the older being hugely against pork, but making sure his district always got more pork than just about any other and he still voted against the bill he knew would pass for his "principals".

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

An incoherent mess.

Rand was never really a libertarian. He's always been very much a neocon on most issues, even before making it into the Senate. Ron Paul fans actually really, really hate him because they see him as betraying his father's legacy, and that's been true since like 08.

He likes to make a lot of really vague, libertarianish statements about small government blah blah. When pressed on actual policy points and when voting on issues, he's very hard right and doesn't mind using the government as a tool one bit. That makes him pretty much indistinguishable from any other Republican, with his father being the most notable feature.

Many neocons did that when W. fizzled. That's one reason neocons have virtually disappeared from politics as a group.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    rand paul is somewhat politically savvy, which might seem like intelligence if you don't know what to look for

What? WHAT?!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

What? WHAT?!

I don't even know what's going on in this thread anymore.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    well to be fair, Boner was smart enough to give up any illusion of humanity to secure his position of power in the maelstrom of stupid that is the republican party and its many, many conflicting subparties.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

What? WHAT?!

I don't even know what's going on in this thread anymore.

Just a bunch of flip flippers talking about flu flippers. And I'm just going to leave the auto corrects there.

• Options

An incoherent mess.

Ha ha. I assure you it was sarcasm. I was alluding to how he can barely keep his composure any time someone has the gall to question his policy ideas or past actions. Like they're personally inconveniencing him for asking questions instead just accepting he's right. And you can literally watch the anger growing inside him when they do, eventually he's going to have a meltdown. When I watch the interviews I often the get the sense he thinks of himself like a king, and definitely considers himself the smartest guy to ever grace congress, if not the world. In other words, I'm saying the guy is douche suffering from a severe case of Dunning-Kruger.

• Options
    Ok thank god I was worried Dark Side... So worried.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

What? WHAT?!

I mean he definitely plays an idiot in public but if you can stand to watch him, you can tell he's definitely no fool

• Options

What? WHAT?!

I mean he definitely plays an idiot in public but if you can stand to watch him, you can tell he's definitely no fool

Perception is reality, Boehner can't fucking count in his primary job which is all about counting. It's like a Mariner DH from last season, they had one fucking job and could not do it...

pleasepaypreacher.net