As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unreal Tournament 3: PC demo out now!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait to lan this at work.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    Shit, I can hardly run UT2k4 on this machine and it's not even 2 years old. I have no hope for this one........ guess I'll wait till I own a 360 some day.

Buh? Does not compute...I run UT2k4 at medium detail at 1680x1050 on an Athlon 64 2800+, a Geforce 6600 GT, and a gig of RAM, with excellent frame rates. Is it like a budget low-end prebuilt or something?

It's a laptop my university forces me to have (and pay exorbitantly for... $500 a semester).

Good heavens man. Thats so much bullshit. 4 semesters = a 2k laptop. Which should be very nice but it can't run UT2k4? man.. Talk about wallet rape.

Back on subject. UT3 sounds sexy. I hope it is as classic as UT2k4 is.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can't wait to try this beta demo out on my P4 2.4/768ram/radeon 9550/Vista beast of a rig! Yes!

Unless 9600 really is the cutoff...

SamuraiRock on
  • Options
    liuzg150181liuzg150181 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can't wait to try this beta demo out on my P4 2.4/768ram/radeon 9550/Vista beast of a rig! Yes!

One of the reasons why I put my Enemy Territory:Quake Wars on hold and wait for UT3 instead is due to UT3's 'lenient' system requirement.......ET:QK is a bit hefty on specs requirement IMO,but specs requirement for Crysis is truly insane~~~O_o
    Of course,other reason being that I like FPS with vehicle!!!

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, so how far apart are the PC and console releases supposed to be? I'm wanting this on my 360, but I'm really inclined to buy it for the PC too, since I've owned all previous versions of this game, and would be much more inclined to double dip if they come a couple months apart.

Aoi on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

One of the reasons why I put my Enemy Territory:Quake Wars on hold and wait for UT3 instead is due to UT3's 'lenient' system requirement.......ET:QK is a bit hefty on specs requirement IMO,but specs requirement for Crysis is truly insane~~~O_o

What exactly are you expecting from UT3? It's going to look and play much worse than UT2k4 will on the same systems I bet.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Rook wrote: »

What exactly are you expecting from UT3? It's going to look and play much worse than UT2k4 will on the same systems I bet.
    So you are suggesting UT series will be going downhill from UT3 onwards?
    If so what makes you think so?

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I think what he means is that while a hefty system, which will play the game full on, balls out will look amazing, having it scaled back on a lower end system will end up looking worse than the last UT did on the exact same system. I don't think he's cutting on the quality of UT3 itself, just how it will look when heavily scaled back.

Aoi on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

No, I reckon on a P4 2.4/768ram/radeon 9550/Vista you can play UT2k4 at full detail at 1280x1024 no problems and it was designed around that level of hardware. It's just the nature of the beast, UT3 engine will be trying to do more things with your CPU/Graphics card etc than before and as such you'll be seeing worse framerates and worse looking visuals.

I mean if UT3 comes out, and runs better and faster on the same hardware then that's fantatic. I just really, really don't think that's going to be the case.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

I think what he means is that while a hefty system, which will play the game full on, balls out will look amazing, having it scaled back on a lower end system will end up looking worse than the last UT did on the exact same system. I don't think he's cutting on the quality of UT3 itself, just how it will look when heavily scaled back.
    Oic,I presume my specs for my PC & laptop is up to par.
    Again,at least the requirement isnt as insane as Crysis.

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hot shit. I'm excited! I can't wait to try it out!

urahonky on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Your system isn't anywhere near "par," at least not anymore. I would suggest an upgrade if you want UT3 to look good at all.

Drool on
  • Options
    SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Drool wrote: »

Your system isn't anywhere near "par," at least not anymore. I would suggest an upgrade if you want UT3 to look good at all.

I think you guys are confusing my totally amazing rig for liuzgs.

Anyway, I'd be impressed if UT3 runs at all on my system, I've made many a game run below the req specs (and decently too, doom 3 engine games were great on my old dustbox) however I think that it may require Shader Model 3.0, which may only have been supported in the 9600 onwards. I am pulling this fact mostly out of my ass.

SamuraiRock on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Wait,I havent divulge my specs yet?:|
    Though computer tech really advances by leaps and bounds,few months later and the device isnt new anymore(perhaps with exception of soundcard?). I wont be hoping to enjoy a edge-cutting graphics,nevertheless UT3 pre-assumed excellent gameplay should detract me from that.

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I think you guys are confusing my totally amazing rig for liuzgs.

Anyway, I'd be impressed if UT3 runs at all on my system, I've made many a game run below the req specs (and decently too, doom 3 engine games were great on my old dustbox) however I think that it may require Shader Model 3.0, which may only have been supported in the 9600 onwards. I am pulling this fact mostly out of my ass.

Oic,LoLz~~~:P

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was confused, sorry.

I can't wait for this demo though. So much awesome shit out on the PC, and so much more awesome coming out soon.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You're damn right Drool. I laugh at people who say PC gaming is dead.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    You're damn right Drool. I laugh at people who say PC gaming is dead.
    Seconded,uh thirded. Cant wait for the demo,let alone the game itself.
    PC gaming is dead? Considering the diversity of gaming genre and plethoric amount of downloadable mods,along with official and community support and in turn the records of the longevity of many of the classics,those who claim so must be out of touch with gaming,or biased.

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There is usually a thread a month about how one person decides to abandon PC gaming. Then it turns into "Lulz, PC gaming is teh doomed! It costs two muhc!!"

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There is usually a thread a month about how one person decides to abandon PC gaming. Then it turns into "Lulz, PC gaming is teh doomed! It costs two muhc!!"
    LoL,pc games are still cheaper than console ones,and considering the longevity of some of the pc games(provided you have chosen the right choice) it is certainly value for money.
    The only few reasons I could fathom why one wou;d abandon pc gaming is constant upgrading one's pc to meet the specs-requirement marathon whenever new games come out. Having said that the same could be said for consoles to some extent,with new generations of consoles coming out the older ones would eventually be rendered obsolete.
    Other than that pc games in general can be more complex and thus more daunting than console games.due to the sheer amount of control buttons avaliable by the keyboard & mouse combo.

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Careful liuzg150181... Those last few sentences are ripe for starting a flame war on the console folk. No matter how much I agree with you. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Careful liuzg150181... Those last few sentences are ripe for starting a flame war on the console folk. No matter how much I agree with you. :)

I see nothing wrong in the statement.:P
    Simplicity itself isnt necessarily a bad thing,even in gaming, in fact some games are better implemented on consoles,while some on PC.
    Of course I quote my last statement as in general cases,certainly there are also complex console games and simple pc games.;-)

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Demo is out doods! Fileplanet, Filefront, and other places. Downloading now!

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So the only issue I have with this game so far is everything feels muted(colors wise). Its like looking at a gray wall some times. UT2k4 was much more colorful then this game in my mind, things were vary easy to pick out at a distance, nothing really blended together.

Other then that, this game feels exactly like UT99, which is awesome.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    padrescoutpadrescout Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I got the demo this afternoon. Great fun. I forgot how much more challenging these fast kind of .. arena style FPSs are - I got fat and slow playing CS and TF2. UT3 definitely requires you to bring your "A" game.

My machines only pseudo-hoss and it runs it wide open at 1280X1024 which is a nice surprise, I was expecting to have to reign in the graphics for smooth play.
    As it stands I'm not so much as getting a hick-up running a bot match with 11 bots, while say 5 or 8 guys go careening across my screen and things are exploding and such, runs great. good game. The Padre is pleased.

padrescout on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is this game more GPU limited or CPU limited? I remember hearing that it is optimized for dual core but I don't plan on upgrading my 3500+ any time soon. But my GPU is an underclocked x1950 Pro, so it is no slouch.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Is this game more GPU limited or CPU limited? I remember hearing that it is optimized for dual core but I don't plan on upgrading my 3500+ any time soon. But my GPU is an underclocked x1950 Pro, so it is no slouch.

I recall hearing somewhere that dual cores get a pretty decent performance increase, that would lead me to believe its more dependent on CPU.

padrescout on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    padrescout wrote: »

I recall hearing somewhere that dual cores get a pretty decent performance increase, that would lead me to believe its more dependent on CPU.
    Can someone with a dual core and a mid-range graphics card post a benchmark? I can compare it to mine and see if a CPU upgrade is worth an investment.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    padrescout wrote: »

Can someone with a dual core and a mid-range graphics card post a benchmark? I can compare it to mine and see if a CPU upgrade is worth an investment.

Core 2 Duo E6750
    GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB
    2 GB ram
    WinXP

I can run the demo at full tilt and get ~40 fps.

edit: gfx card isn't really mid-range though. high-mid i guess.

xraydog on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I've got a d805 intel running at 3.3 gig, 2 gigs ram and a 512 meg X1900XTX (more or less midrange these days) and I cant tell ya my frame rate, but it's smooth, no hitching, nice and sherbert even at the long range for things like interbase sniping - no warping or anything bad like that.

Graphics settings are post processing default , world detail 4, 1280X1024 .

basically .. defaultish decent looking graphics.

padrescout on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm so, so disappointed. I recognize my computer was built for Ut2k4, and I can't expect it to run full bore. But... good fucking god, it looked like I was peering at the game through vasoline. It was just shitty-looking, even with everything scaled back. The HUD was anything but elegant, the customization options I was used to from UT2k4 were gone, and... UGH, the menu system blows. I hate the red/white scheme.

I suspect that the Orange Box is throwing off my perceptions of things.. but I'm starting to see a Star Trek curse appearing for UT. I will give it another, more objective whirl later... but I do not like the first impressions.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Everybody who is getting a blurry looking game: go into video options, click advanced, and under "screen size", crank that shit up to 100. That was a stupid option to put in there, it was dumber still to set it to anything below 100 by default, and Epic should be ashamed. But after you unfuck it the game should look fine.

Moving on.

This game looks remarkably good for the shitty system I'm running it on (2.0GHz Sempron, 1GB ram, GF7600GT). But I need some advice. I recently set up my computer connected to my TV 24/7 since I like to watch movies on it and haven't been playing too many PC games lately (except Psychonauts, which works great with my hacked-up Xbox gamepad). Anyone have any ideas on how to comfortably use my keyboard and mouse from, say, a couch?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This demo is an absolute blast. I'm so excited to start making levels and machinima with the new UnrealEd, though.

<3<3

Kami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Everybody who is getting a blurry looking game: go into video options, click advanced, and under "screen size", crank that shit up to 100. That was a stupid option to put in there, it was dumber still to set it to anything below 100 by default, and Epic should be ashamed. But after you unfuck it the game should look fine.

Moving on.

This game looks remarkably good for the shitty system I'm running it on (2.0GHz Sempron, 1GB ram, GF7600GT). But I need some advice. I recently set up my computer connected to my TV 24/7 since I like to watch movies on it and haven't been playing too many PC games lately (except Psychonauts, which works great with my hacked-up Xbox gamepad). Anyone have any ideas on how to comfortably use my keyboard and mouse from, say, a couch?
    If you already have wireless equipment all you really need is some pillows, a lap, a textbook, and a mousepad. Just prop the keyboard on a pillow and put it on your lap, and put the book and mousepad on another pillow next to you.

If you want something more fashionable you can go buy a lapboard, or the uber expensive all-in-one solution from Phantom.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bumped up the rendering thing to 100, and it helped the blurriness.. but my issues are more fundamental than that. It just feels off. And.. yeah. I am just doing instant action deathmatches to see how my system handles it. I still need to turn down stuff.

The big 3 legged mecha thingy was cute.. but way too immobile. I still don't know what the right mouse button did.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Got my video driver issues sorted out. Now running at 1280x1024 (limited by rather old monitor native resolution), max settings wherever applicable. Rock-solid 60 fps, looks great.

The gameplay feels pretty good, though I'm not really sure if I like the new feel of air mechanics. Something's just a bit off about the gravity. Maybe it's just a little stronger than it was in 2k4?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    WHOAH! Fucking demo out now!?

EDIT: Alright! Standing in line as we speak on fileplanet.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Got my video driver issues sorted out. Now running at 1280x1024 (limited by rather old monitor native resolution), max settings wherever applicable. Rock-solid 60 fps, looks great.

The gameplay feels pretty good, though I'm not really sure if I like the new feel of air mechanics. Something's just a bit off about the gravity. Maybe it's just a little stronger than it was in 2k4?

I noticed that, too. It seems as if everything feels a bit more 'beefy' than UT2k4. It may be the influence of Gears. :lol:

The one thing I'll need to get used to is the wearable equipment. Running over vests or helmets feels a bit weird to me, but I'll soon become accustomed.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah the jumping isn't as floaty as 2k4. UT3 does have a better physics engine obviously so it feels more realistic. It still plays great, it's fast paced, and is absolutely gorgeous on my system.

Drool on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah the jumping isn't as floaty as 2k4. UT3 does have a better physics engine obviously so it feels more realistic. It still plays great, it's fast paced, and is absolutely gorgeous on my system.

Yeah, I'd definitely agree it's a bit more realistic, but I don't always prefer the most realistic options in my gameplay.

I think it could grow on me, but other parts of the game seem painfully lacking in detail. Notably, why is there so little feedback on death? Something as awesome as TF2's death cam wouldn't fit the game, as it would slow respawns, but could I at least get a more detailed message than "Soandso killed you. You are dead." Would it be really that hard to at least tell us what weapon/vehicle they did it with?

Dehumanized on