As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Batthread

• Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    I don't know about this Paul Dini run guys.

I mean, the stories are great, but the art is so crappy. Seriously JH Williams, all you do is draw all day. It is your job. How do you not starve to death?

He's only on the first two issues...and crappy art? Are you reading Morrison's Batman?

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

I mean, the stories are great, but the art is so crappy. Seriously JH Williams, all you do is draw all day. It is your job. How do you not starve to death?

He's only on the first two issues...and crappy art? Are you reading Morrison's Batman?

Kramer does Dini's run so he must be confused.

Cariblue on
    edited October 2006
    Cariblue wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Kramer hate? Bah. Bah I say.

Bad Karma on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Who here reads Nightwing and agrees with me that the last 4-6 months of this book have been far less than stellar? I'm ready to drop it in favor of something more interesting, like the new Flash series.

Robin, on the other hand, has been pretty good.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    JH Williams is supposed to be drawing it, but apparently he can't draw more than one book every 6 months or some shit.

Also, he fucked up his schedule with conflicts.

Sars_Boy on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Cariblue wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Yeah, that was kind of confusing.

Williams is awesome.
    Kramer is not awesome.

I want more JH Williams issues. I wish he drew faster.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Who here reads Nightwing and agrees with me that the last 4-6 months of this book have been far less than stellar? I'm ready to drop it in favor of something more interesting, like the new Flash series.

The last arc made me vomit in terror... no... wait... sadness. But now that Wolfman is on it, it's going to get better.

It is. I promise.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Briareos wrote:

I take it you haven't read the new Flash series then.

Sars_Boy on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

The first issue was real bad, but it has been getting better.

deadonthestreet on
    edited October 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

I'm always willing to give a new book about six months to get its shit together. The first issue was meh, but it has been getting better.

I have my shop pull Nightwing for me, but not the Flash. So when I say switch, I mean telling the shop to stop pulling Nightwing and start pulling the Flash. Both series are on a short leash, but the Flash's stock is rising while Nightwing's is taking a nose-dive.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • watchthesparkswatchthesparks Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    i only started reading nightwing a year and a half ago, and i have no idea why i still do. every arc i've read through has been pretty terrible. i had a lot of high hopes coming out of infinite crisis, he was actually kinda cool in that, but the first one year later story was terrible. the last issue was ok though, nothing great, but for nightwing it was a huge improvement. i'll give it a few more months i guess.

watchthesparks on
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Cariblue wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Yeah, that was kind of confusing.

Williams is awesome.
    Kramer is not awesome.

I want more JH Williams issues. I wish he drew faster.

Lay off the K-Man..just..no. To distract you..heres a funny smiley! :rotate:

Bad Karma on
    edited October 2006
    lolicaust

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    i only started reading nightwing a year and a half ago, and i have no idea why i still do. every arc i've read through has been pretty terrible. i had a lot of high hopes coming out of infinite crisis, he was actually kinda cool in that, but the first one year later story was terrible. the last issue was ok though, nothing great, but for nightwing it was a huge improvement. i'll give it a few more months i guess.

if you want good Nightwing, read Chuck Dixon's stuff

Garlic Bread on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man the first issue or maybe second issue of Nightwing has a really awesome fight in it

DouglasDanger on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2006
    DKR sure has some crazy shit in it. batman with a gun? crazy shit.

Tube on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DKR sure has some crazy shit in it. batman with a gun? crazy shit.
    That part really gave me my first shock of the book. It was the first taste of Batman's change in attitude, and such a big one that I had to go back and make sure I was reading it right. "Holy shit, did Batman just shoot that guy?!" You know he really means business this time.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2006
    seems a bit too far out of character for me to be honest

Tube on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    He shot a guy and smiled about it.

Yay Frank Miller.

august on
    edited October 2006
    it's good but it's not really doing much to move my "fuck frank miller" viewpoint.

Tube on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, me neither.

august on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    did he kill the guy or just wound him? *Hopes he didn't kill*

Caveman Paws on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    nobody answer him because why haven't you read DKR?

Garlic Bread on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:6496b28285]It was only one shot but with the gun he was using, you could probably see through the guy after that one shot.

Think that one gun in "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels."[/spoiler:6496b28285]

On second thought, don't read that. Read DKR.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2006
    I mean y'know, two guiding principles of Batman

doesn't kill people

doesn't use guns

and then he kills a dude with a gun

Tube on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I mean y'know, two guiding principles of Batman

doesn't kill people

doesn't use guns

and then he kills a dude with a gun
    Frank Miller tears down the walls of convention. You're trapped by your own, not-shitty idea of what Batman is.

Frank wants to lead you into a new world of shit.

Conditional_Axe on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006

I always liked that scene in DKR.

Yes it breaks away from the standard, but it could be viewed as insight into just how far you have to push Batman before he'll break his two most sacred beliefs.

[spoiler:89779118bf]Apparently threatening to blow a toddler's head off is around that line.[/spoiler:89779118bf]

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited October 2006
    I vaguely recall this scene. [spoiler:0ae8a22a6c]Is it when Bats is rescuing the kidnapped little kid from the mutants?[/spoiler:0ae8a22a6c]

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just read the Poision Ivy "Detective Comics" from Dini's run.

I have to say I throughly enjoyed it, and would recomend it to everyone.

DharmaBum on
    edited October 2006
    Forar wrote:

Yes it breaks away from the standard, but it could be viewed as insight into just how far you have to push Batman before he'll break his two most sacred beliefs.

[spoiler:fe43085cf9]Apparently threatening to blow a toddler's head off is around that line.[/spoiler:fe43085cf9]

I liked the scene for the above reason, and how it shows Bats in a "didn't have time to prepare" situation and has him deal with the situation anyway. But it also sabotages the tension with him and the Joker a bit. His whole freaking career he's been on the edge of killing the Joker and feeling guilty for each person the Joker kills b/c he (batman) didn't stop him by killing him earlier. The thing that's kept him from doing it all these years is his moral convictions - and then he frags some random thug? It doesn't completely destroy the Bats/Joker dynamic, just weakens it a bit. I still really enjoyed the encounter with the Joker later in the book.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2006
    Are there very many stories that deal with Bruce Wayne before he was Batman?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • LejinLejin Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Are you guys talking about the scene [spoiler:49b592ba24]Where Bats shoots the C4?[/spoiler:49b592ba24] Thats the only part I remember with a gun, but its been awhile since I read it.

Lejin on
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Are there very many stories that deal with Bruce Wayne before he was Batman?

Miller's "Batman: Year One" is pretty good. I think there are some others but that's the most famous one.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2006
    My current view on DKR and Frank Miller is that he is good as long as you don't mind going "I DIDN'T SEE THAT! I DIDN'T SEE THAT! THE COMIC IS STILL GOOD IF I IGNORE THAT FUCKING STUPID THING!" every five pages.

Tube on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Miller has earned my eternal hatred for what he did to Superman. The worst part is that everyone else seems to have taken it and run with it.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    KalTorak wrote:
    Forar wrote:

[spoiler:624a1dcfd5]Apparently threatening to blow a toddler's head off is around that line.[/spoiler:624a1dcfd5]

I liked the scene for the above reason, and how it shows Bats in a "didn't have time to prepare" situation and has him deal with the situation anyway. But it also sabotages the tension with him and the Joker a bit. His whole freaking career he's been on the edge of killing the Joker and feeling guilty for each person the Joker kills b/c he (batman) didn't stop him by killing him earlier. The thing that's kept him from doing it all these years is his moral convictions - and then he frags some random thug? It doesn't completely destroy the Bats/Joker dynamic, just weakens it a bit. I still really enjoyed the encounter with the Joker later in the book.

He just shoots him in the shoulder, for crying out loud! It's not like he kills the guy.
    Harrier wrote:
    Miller has earned my eternal hatred for what he did to Superman. The worst part is that everyone else seems to have taken it and run with it.

Last time, I checked, Superman wasn't a government stooge. Hell, he fights the military at one point in Morrison's JLA.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    He just shoots him in the shoulder, for crying out loud! It's not like he kills the guy.

Now I have to pull open my copy again, but if he's going to risk shooting the hostage taker, you'd think he'd do it right.

Sure, a final spasm may put the hostage at risk, but so does allowing the chance for a conscious choice to pull the trigger.

Also, just getting tagged in the shoulder with a weapon like that seems like it'd still make one hell of a mess out of a person.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited October 2006
    also miller's joker looks and acts stupid

Tube on
    edited October 2006
    I don't think it shows what happens to the guy. Frame of Bats shooting the gun, then picking up the kid, says "I believe you." I just assumed he shot the guy dead.
    also miller's joker looks and acts stupid

I didn't mind what he did to the Joker as much was what he did to Selina. Honestly, what the fuck? Make her a madame if you want but don't you taint Catwoman with fat thighs.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2006
    there are a lot of reasons why DKR is good and a lot of reasons why it can eat a dick

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.