As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Challenge Coin - Additional coins available

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    The convention centre perhaps?

We used the convention center in 2011, here is a link to our Wiki page that show our past coins: Pax Challenge Coin
    Well, since the Sheraton is often considered the place to be when staying at PAX, how about that, or it's lobby where a lot of PAXians hang out? Or better yet, the flower sculpture next to it.

For me, the flowers always stuck out when going from place to place. The bell in freeway park is an idea as well, but isn't as... 'central'(?) to most of the foot traffic.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I love the look of King Street station on the coin, that's just awesome! Would we really be able to capture anything close to that level of detail on the actual coin though?
    I3izzy wrote: »
    No offence to people from Seattle, but I would like to see this not just landmarks they know about. I would like to at least see some sort of tie in for PAX. Are we really hurting for ideas that bad?

Out of the proposed ideas, the only ones that I see with a PAX tie in at all are the monorail and the train station though I personally don't ever use either.
    Traditionally the PAX challenge coins have had 1 side dedicated to a landmark related to where that PAX event is held, while the other side of the coin is dedicated to something related to the PAX event itself. So far we (the collective thread commenters) have largely been only talking about the landmark side of the coin.

Some of the proposed ideas for the other side of the coin so far have been a arcade machine coin slot, something related to a 3DS/Street pass game, something Oculus Rift related, a Virtual Boy or Sega VR, among others I might not be thinking of off the top of my head. There is certainly more discussion to be had for the PAX side of the coin I think.

Aractor on
    Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    If we are looking for a better PAX tie in, Benaroya Hall would be a good option.

IhtGIyi.png
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If we are looking for a better PAX tie in, Benaroya Hall would be a good option.

Not a bad idea, but we did a theater last year. If we try to look for a landmark that is tied to PAX, I feel we're really limiting our options. Maybe we should pick a landmark *not* tied to PAX in the hope that people want to go out and see the host city.

Just a thought.

What about Hammering Man? (The statue by the Seattle Art Musuem.)

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    How about the whole coin just says, "currently bought and made for Amazon". Cause... that's all seattle is becoming. It's a not a good thing.

For realz though, I don't know that the reverse has to have a PAX tie in? I like the idea of City Icon and gaming reference. The PAX tie in will lose options over time unless they expand indefinitely while SkeleVader has some mighty fine mock ups like the troll, the monorail/EMP and the PE car wash. It says Seattle much more than Beneroya hall, some hotel or the subway in front of the WSCC...wait, no, new vote for the subway in front of WSCC. Or that crepe place. Or a cat playing fruit ninja on an Ipad. That would work too.

• nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I like the Hammering Man idea!

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What about Hammering Man? (The statue by the Seattle Art Musuem.)

Never thought of that one! And it makes sense the more I think about it.

boTdSSK.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Here is a quick mock up of "Hammering Man" at the Seattle Art Museum:

Hammering Man 01:
    at4A1tI.png

I think we have enough option to start the voting. I will be posting it soon.

IhtGIyi.png
    Here is the voting page for the Seattle Landmark:

Seattle Landmark to be used

Voting will be open for one week. So the deadline is April 2nd at 9:00am Pacific.

IhtGIyi.png
  • nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'd make the Hammering Man much bigger on the coin, but this is my favorite idea since it was suggested.

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    nixter wrote: »
    I'd make the Hammering Man much bigger on the coin, but this is my favorite idea since it was suggested.
    Agreed. Maybe if I get time I will try my hand at mocking one up later.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular

This was my initial reaction, but the more I look at it, the more I like the fact that there's so much of the front of the building in there.

• Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular

This was my initial reaction, but the more I look at it, the more I like the fact that there's so much of the front of the building in there.

And didn't really see it in the pic there at first, but it actually says Seattle above him. New fav; done! Other ideas/mocks are great though. Tough choice actually...

• I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    Is there a way we can see how the voting is going?

ZYseqtZ.png
  • splatterzgoodsplatterzgood Registered User new member
    So when the Monorail wins, do you think there would be room for the SLUT on it as well? They are currently running it with a Star Wars paint job on it and it would be cool, especially if in really small letter where no one not looking for it would find it, we could put Ride the SLUT!

Yes, there was a link after you voted that would take you to the results: Voting Responses

Also,
    For those that don't know, the South Union Lake Trolly (SLUT) is a streetcar in Seattle. It has since been renamed to the South Union Lake Streetcar. And no, we will not be putting the SLUT on the coin this year :winky:
    There is always next year though.

IhtGIyi.png

Yes, there was a link after you voted that would take you to the results: Voting Responses

Also,
    For those that don't know, the South Union Lake Trolly (SLUT) is a streetcar in Seattle. It has since been renamed to the South Union Lake Streetcar. And no, we will not be putting the SLUT on the coin this year :winky:

Actually South Lake Union Trolley. You seem to be a little Lysdexic. But it is right next to the monorail.

Also,

Actually South Lake Union Trolley. You seem to be a little Lysdexic. But it is right next to the monorail.

How the hell did I mess that up? The brain, it is an odd thing.

IhtGIyi.png
    Voting has ended and the Monorail/EMP has won. Thank you to everyone who voted.

IhtGIyi.png
    It is time to focus our attention to the front of the coin. So far it looks like the following ideas have been well received:

- Coin Slot
    - VR of some sort
    - Street Pass

Thank you to everyone who has submitted an idea, even if your idea doesn't make the list it helps us move forward and think of other ideas. So please continue to throw your suggestions out this week and any that are well received will be added to the list. We will vote next week.

IhtGIyi.png
  • skitterbugskitterbug Registered User regular
    I really like coin slot or street pass personally. :)

*~o(^.^)o~*
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    I'd go with the coin slot or VR. Although I don't know how you would pull off VR on a coin. Virtual Boy?

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    A vote for the coin slot or VR also. Virtual boy would be cool.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Coin Slot. Mostly because I like saying it.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
    I think if we do the coin slot, it should say player 1 start, or Continue? as well to give the feeling of what that slot represents. I also think if we do VR it should be broken into three slots, with the Power glove, one of the old stand and walk machines form the 90's and maybe the Oculus rift in the third to show the progression of an obscure niche.

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    I think if we do the coin slot, it should say player 1 start, or Continue? as well to give the feeling of what that slot represents. I also think if we do VR it should be broken into three slots, with the Power glove, one of the old stand and walk machines form the 90's and maybe the Oculus rift in the third to show the progression of an obscure niche.

That's a really cool idea for both concepts. The evolution of VR presents a decent range of possibilities.

• sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
  • arconicarconic Registered User regular
    really like the vr idea splatterzgood posted. as far as the coin slot goes i am all for it and as a added suggestion if we don't go with the coin slot from the op and go with one more like sirmrej posted i think it would be a nice little inside joke if instead of 25c and push to reject we changed it to f5 and push for badges. i do like the op coin slot image though.

• AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    This was one of the popular coin slot ideas from last year's thread...
    g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

Something like that angle, minus the fingers, the 25cents, and the..space squid? and add a better coin and just "Insert Coin to Play"

Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aractor wrote: »
    This was one of the popular coin slot ideas from last year's thread...
    g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

Something like that angle, minus the fingers, the 25cents, and the..space squid? and add a better coin and just "Insert Coin to Play"

I believe the Space Squid had a following.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
    edited April 2015
    Voting is now open for the face of the coin:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZCx6aBEKDgofQtoq41hK-PiWtWe29c7rnWluYg3XLj0/viewform?usp=send_form

Please feel free to campaign for your favorite and even work up a rough design.

Voting will close 1 week from today on April 29th at 9:00am Pacific.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
    Voting ends tomorrow and the Coin Slot has a commanding lead right now.

IhtGIyi.png
    Voting has ended & the Coin Slot is the clear winner. Thank you to everyone who voted.

If anyone wants to work up a design, please feel free. I will start working on one as well.

IhtGIyi.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    oh wow looks like im pretty late to the party this year!

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    oh wow looks like im pretty late to the party this year!

You are not the only one!

Thanks @SkeleVader for doing this again this year! We got them for the years we have been able to attend PAX and they are always beautiful!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    No Sats for me this year, my gf and I might sell our passes all together, but id still like to be a part of the coin design and get one for myself and one for my gf.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hadn't planned to vote, but wow did you get started early.
    Glad to see @akidderz is getting a shot at the coin, the samples he sent were amazing.

• AtamosAtamos Registered User new member
    This is my first year hearing about the challenge coin for pax but I still feel like an idiot for asking, where can we place an order for one? I saw orders placed June 19th but does that mean thats when the company will start selling them or is that the finalized order date?

• VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    Great designs for this year's coin! Easily my favorite commemorative item for PAX. They always look great!

SOON.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Atamos wrote: »
    This is my first year hearing about the challenge coin for pax but I still feel like an idiot for asking, where can we place an order for one? I saw orders placed June 19th but does that mean thats when the company will start selling them or is that the finalized order date?
    None of those dates are "finalized". Basically how it generally works, we get a coin designed (both sides), send the design to the coin manufacturer, and they send back a picture of roughly what it will look like. There might be a bit of back-and-forth for that, and eventually the manufacturer will make a test coin and send it. There might be a mistake on that or something that was thought to be a good idea is just bad, so that might take a couple tries. Once we have a good looking prototype coin, that's generally when orders open up for everyone to order one.

Last year people were able to order straight from the manufacturer, if I remember right. The goal is for the orders to be available in plenty of time to guarantee that everyone will have their coins in time for PAX. There is generally one initial batch that is likely to arrive in time for PAX, and there's a time limit to make an order to be part of that batch.

Oh, and sometime during the process, we have to pay for the coin's die to be made, so people contribute funds for that.

Basically what I'm saying is, keep an eye on this thread over the next month :)