As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Portfolio fun stuffz! (*UPDATE*)

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
selfportrait.jpg

It's a 32x36 charcoal/conte pencil self portrait i'm doing for my portfolio. The lips are all kinds of screwed up, but i'll eventually get to that. Obviously i'm still working on it, so C&C would be pretty awesome.

AlyceInWonderland on

• LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The eyebrows seem to be in slightly the wrong position (like they should be further out from the centre maybe?) but maybe if they were rendered with softer edges it would look right. Looks great so far, looking forward to updates.

edit: because i can't type

Lly on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Can we see the reference, pretty please? The shading on and around the eye seems off...

NightDragon on
    edited October 2006
    if there is a ref that would help. I assumed it was a picture from mirror as thats the kind of pose it seems to be.

Lly on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm doing it from a mirror. My teacher won't let us do it any other way.
    I'll be working on this more tomorrow in class, so i'll have updates every day.

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited October 2006
    He shoots, he scores!

Lly on
    edited October 2006
    Oh, and you're right about the eyebrows. Definitely going to fix that tomorrow.
    I'm sure it will be easier to critique once I have more things added.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • drakkoniadrakkonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Seems like an ambitious project, and it looks good so far. Looking forward to updates!

drakkonia on
    edited October 2006

hahaha, christ...working from a mirror in a weird position sucks...I've done that only twice that I can think of and all my facial muscles hurt (and sometimes my eye muscles, when I was staring up for one of the portraits). I hope that doesn't happen to you! Try to notice if you get "in the zone"...because sometimes I'll forget and hold my position for like a straight two hours, and suddenly my neck is on fire.

fun times! :lol:

NightDragon on
    edited October 2006

hahaha, christ...working from a mirror in a weird position sucks...I've done that only twice that I can think of and all my facial muscles hurt (and sometimes my eye muscles, when I was staring up for one of the portraits). I hope that doesn't happen to you! Try to notice if you get "in the zone"...because sometimes I'll forget and hold my position for like a straight two hours, and suddenly my neck is on fire.

fun times! :lol:

Oh man, yes. My neck and eyes end up hurting when the period is over because i'm looking up slightly while my eyes are looking down, and it's just a really awkward position for my face, neck and eyes. And since I only get to work on it for about an hour a day, the lighting changes everyday, so I'm afraid that the shadows won't be consistant.

It's basically going to be a bitch and a half. But it's going to get done, because I haven't finished anything in a long time. :x

AlyceInWonderland on
  • RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Grab some reeeeeeally soft charcoal (compressed if you have it) and tone the canvas if you still can. The conte should still show up (it's a bit waxxier and would show through the compressed charcoal).

You should do this because working in one direction makes it hard to backpedal. If all you ever do is make the canvas darker, your value balance will suffer for it. You need to work in both directions - from grey to white and from grey to black.

If you cant's bring yourself to do that, then at least go in with a large chunk of charcoal and block in the big pieces of value. Make all the light parts one value, all the dark parts another vlaue and then work from there. In most lighting situations, the bulk of your values will reside in the 40-60% grey, reserving the extreme lights and darks for shadows and highlights. Imagine how much time you'll save if you start on 50% grey as opposed to white.

Rye on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Excellent. I'd love to see it in the end.

One thing, I know the nose seperates from the face in some ways, but should you really have that strong outline for the nose? I unno if it might get in the way. Should be fine in the end.

:rawk on:

NeoRedXIII on
    edited October 2006
    And since I only get to work on it for about an hour a day, the lighting changes everyday, so I'm afraid that the shadows won't be consistant.

I *haaaaated* that aspect about art class. The only way I was able to cope was by leaving the shading to the very last, and doing rough "block shading", and then the last class I evened it out and made it look nice.

NightDragon on
    edited October 2006
    selfportrait2.jpg

I was only able to work in it for 10 minutes because I had a bunch of other pieces I had to work on. I tried to fix the eye.
    It looks way smudgy though around the lids and on the cheeks, but that's going to be fixed once I get the time to really work on it.

I'm having trouble with it though, because it's painted board, and the painbrush left crevices, so it's mighty difficult to get the charcoal, and conte pencil to spread inbetween.

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited November 2006
    port1.jpg

I'm going to fix the area under the eyebrow and between the eyelid as it's atill a bit messed. And I'm also going to lighten everything up so it doesn't look so dark/dirty.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Seems to become awesome :D

Did you consider the magnifying of the glasses? I think this is important to simulate some realistic ones.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
    edited November 2006
    My glasses don't have a strong perscription at all, and I checked before I started the drawing. My glasses don't magnify my eyes one bit. Thanks for the comment though. I just went back and checked in the mirror to see if I was wrong :p

AlyceInWonderland on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you planning on defining the right edge of the face with hair? If that contour that currently exists is supposed to be your cheekbone then I would have a closer look at your reference. As it stands it looks like you're storing nuts for the winter.

Scosglen on
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, the white space to the sides of the face is where the hair is going to go, but I'm doing that last (as well as the glasses) since they go over the face itself.

And i've recently learned that working with only mirrors is fucking tedious, and difficult. D:

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh my, you're right ^^' If I need a mirror I go to the bathroom and take off a part of the mirror board.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
    edited November 2006
    Little progress, but I tried to work on the cheeks and nose for 5 minutes before I worked on other things.

self1.jpg

self2.jpg

Edit: Nostrils are still off. Going to fix them on monday.

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited November 2006
    Asspat first, it is coming along nicely and will surely be a cool piece!

Now crits: The shape of the nose seems off to me, not just the nostrils. It's all very rounded ...

Also the cheeks look like they are pressed against a pane of glass with the way they are coloured. The whole colouring seems way too red to me. This may of course be a conscious decision on your part. Also the shadows look like you've just added black to the colours, as opposed to changing hues.

The eye also needs more colour variation in it. It's not just reflecting skin colours but would have hints of the room as well, blues, greens etc. It is also covered in liquid so would look glossier i think.

That was all being hypercritical because i think it is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing how you render the glass in the glasses!

Lly on
    edited November 2006
    Lly wrote:
    Asspat first, it is coming along nicely and will surely be a cool piece!

Now crits: The shape of the nose seems off to me, not just the nostrils. It's all very rounded ...

Also the cheeks look like they are pressed against a pane of glass with the way they are coloured. The whole colouring seems way too red to me. This may of course be a conscious decision on your part. Also the shadows look like you've just added black to the colours, as opposed to changing hues.

The eye also needs more colour variation in it. It's not just reflecting skin colours but would have hints of the room as well, blues, greens etc. It is also covered in liquid so would look glossier i think.

That was all being hypercritical because i think it is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing how you render the glass in the glasses!

Thanks for the crits, I appreciate it!

Nose- My nose is natrually very round. LOL PKEWPKEW But I see what you're saying. I'll try to fix that, a bit.

cheeks- Yeah, I'm having a rough time with them.

Color- I'm limited to use Rust, black, yellow, and white in this particular project so it's a little difficult to get different hues. I have to mix black the rust to get a decent shadow, which is a pain in the ass. But I'll see if I can ask my teacher if he'd let me use different colors. It is my portfolio project after all.

Again, thanks! I'll take all your comments into consideration <3

AlyceInWonderland on
  • SpeedKnightSpeedKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OLOLOL!

PS I don't like the weird muddiness, but the rendering with pastels looks good.

SpeedKnight on
    edited November 2006
    Ollol! Thast so crayze!

ps- ass

AlyceInWonderland on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Other than the rather excessive glow on the skin (nose and cheek, seems like oily skin) its looking good so far, I take it you have a medium leght nose with a round ball for a tip, because mine loks the same viewed from downwards.

JCM on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JCM wrote:
    I take it you have a medium leght nose with a round ball for a tip.

Oh god, the nose doctor is in.

Sublimus on