As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, April 1, 2015 - Plus A Zookeeper

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Wednesday, April 1, 2015 - Plus A Zookeeper

Plus A Zookeeper

Plus A Zookeeper

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/04/01

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I really hope when the next strip arrives on Friday, Gabe is burnt as fuck. He doesn't look like he even glanced at a bottle of sunscreen.

DoctorEars on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And peeling like a birch tree.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The Dresden Files are pretty cool indeed, they're one of my favorite book series.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    NinjaLawyerNinjaLawyer Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So many three-panel comics feel the need add a joke or humour in at least one of the panels. Refreshingly, PA understands that using those three panels to recount, word for word, a banal phone conversation is the highest form of the comic art. Kudos to you PA! I look forward to Friday's comic to scathingly recount how Gabe was delayed an hour at the airport or ordered a burger without tomato and then got tomato.

On the plus side, the Dresden Files are fun books, and I hope Gabe posts his thoughts.

NinjaLawyer on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So many three-panel comics feel the need add a joke or humour in at least one of the panels. Refreshingly, PA understands that using those three panels to recount, word for word, a banal phone conversation is the highest form of the comic art. Kudos to you PA! I look forward to Friday's comic to scathingly recount how Gabe was delayed an hour at the airport or ordered a burger without tomato and then got tomato.

On the plus side, the Dresden Files are fun books, and I hope Gabe posts his thoughts.

I get it, this is an April Fool's post.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Looove Tycho's face in panel 3.

I thought Dresden Files was a TV show? Might have to check those books out.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    There was a short-lived TV adaptation.

The books aren't very good.

The comic is pretty good.

These have been two facts and one opinion. Enjoy!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ErykthebatErykthebat Registered User new member
    I have LARPed a few times with Butcher.

• Options
    NinjaLawyerNinjaLawyer Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    A steak! wrote: »

I get it, this is an April Fool's post.

Well, only in the same way that every post today is an April Fool's post. But I assure you, I was serious - the Dresden books are pulpy fun.

NinjaLawyer on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Of course they're pulpy.

Wood pulp.

• Options
    RaveBombRaveBomb Registered User regular
    1248964599329.jpg

I'm off to pirate more music, steal software, and knock down little old ladies, then later I'm going to cover my self in Yak's blood, and lay in a pentagram, while reading some Marxist literature and praying to a heathen god.

tata
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    There was a short-lived TV adaptation.

The books aren't very good.

The comic is pretty good.

These have been two facts and one opinion. Enjoy!

I disagree, I've only thought the comics were ok. The books are way better in my opinion.
    The zookeeper bit is probably the least wrong thing Tycho says. Since he actually does take a case at a zoo at one point.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I was talking about the PA comic, actually. I didn't know there was a Dresden comic, but that makes sense.

I can see how it looks like I was talking about a Dresden comic.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    RaveBomb wrote: »
    1248964599329.jpg

This.

I've always wondered whether the Dresden files was any inspiration for these strips:

i-m9QXS4N-1050x10000.jpg

2850-1.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    My god, that Tycho grin in the third panel.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    And from that point on, Gabe read the books voraciously, hoping to see the Decepticon part soon enough...

• Options
    Does... does a zombie T-Rex actually show up at some point?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Yes, and Harry does indeed ride it into battle.

• Options
    Oh my god... I wish I brought my kindle to work.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Desden files started out interesting wizard detective and quickly devolved into "super wizard does epic things" every chapter.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Desden files started out interesting wizard detective and quickly devolved into "super wizard does epic things" every chapter.

More like wizard gets the utter crap kicked out of him manages to the save the day and still not get paid.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

I'm at book three at the moment but does sound pretty amazing, is it?

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »

I'm at book three at the moment but does sound pretty amazing, is it?

My wife who isn't a fan of this sort of fantasy stuff, who has a masters in English and is now an MD, devoured the entire series up until the last book (which she will be starting this week as we just got the paperback) and loved every minute of it. Its silly and fun and not to be taken too seriously but it is a great ride and very entertaining. And Dresden is so loveable.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Fantastic, great to hear it keeps its charm.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    You had me at zombie T-Rex.

• Options
    Bremen wrote: »

Yes, and Harry does indeed ride it into battle.

Since people love to spoil that bit:
    The T-Rex is in
    Book 7: Dead Beat

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely not a hugely serious series, but it's consistently written well, and fun. And it does deal surprisingly well with Harry's power creep over the course of the series without losing the sense of him almost always being up against near impossible odds. It's one of those series where each book you think okay, this book was good, but there's no way the next book is going to be able to keep the tension up without hitting a reset button or compromising some of the world building. And then you read the next book, and you're like, okay, you pulled it off this time, but NEXT book... So kudos to Jim Butcher for that.

• Options
    TheGlassHammerTheGlassHammer Registered User regular
    I love the Dresden series. I am wicked excited to see where it goes next. The semi nice thing about the author has a plan for it and kind of knows how it's going to end. So it won't suffer the same fate as Lost where it meanders and lost it's path because the producers/ABC wanted to milk it for as long as possible.

Most recent book spoiler listed below.
    You could almost say he is a zookeeper with his prison under his island.

• Options
    I love the Dresden series. I am wicked excited to see where it goes next. The semi nice thing about the author has a plan for it and kind of knows how it's going to end. So it won't suffer the same fate as Lost where it meanders and lost it's path because the producers/ABC wanted to milk it for as long as possible.

Most recent book spoiler listed below.
    You could almost say he is a zookeeper with his prison under his island.

Also, the author is getting money from other successful series so he can possibly afford to kill off the Dresden books at some point.
    I think the Dresden books are the series I've successfully introduced the most people too. Although the Vlad Taltos books might be tied in my reading circle.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    1248964599329.jpg

Welp I have a new book series to read.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CaptApocalypseCaptApocalypse Registered User regular
    Excellent choice! I love that series. Codex Alera is another one Jim Butcher does that's like High Fantasy meets Pokemon.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Well I would argue it's more of an animated skeletal T-Rex than a true zombie . . .

Some of the earlier works aren't quite as great as some of the tone wasn't nailed down yet but on the whole I greatly enjoy Butcher's interpretations of various mythological and supernatural entities and concepts in a modern pulp/noir setting. A faerie godmother is much less fun when it's an Unseelie faerie . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Well I would argue it's more of an animated skeletal T-Rex than a true zombie . . .

Some of the earlier works aren't quite as great as some of the tone wasn't nailed down yet but on the whole I greatly enjoy Butcher's interpretations of various mythological and supernatural entities and concepts in a modern pulp/noir setting. A faerie godmother is much less fun when it's an Unseelie faerie . . .

Personally, I think the biggest weakness of the early books is the endings suuuuck. Just the most tacked on bow-tying. I still like them though, it's still worth starting at book 1.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    evil santaevil santa To infinity...and beyond!Registered User regular
    It's a great series of books. Each of the early books introduces a new element or faction (wizards, ghosts, werewolves, fallen angels, fae etc) and weaves it into an intricate mythological tapestry. There are some great surprises, character development and obstacles to overcome and Dresden is an entertaining lens to view this alternate-reality through. Great series - glad it's finally on Mike's radar. Stick through the earlier couple and get ready for some sleepless nights of reading :D

For the record, the television series is quite far removed from the literature. I could only stomach a few episodes before quitting. The Dresden comics are pretty solid, though nothing amazing. The collections of short stories are fantasticly supportive of the world he has created.

Pinny Pals Profile

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Personally, I think the biggest weakness of the early books is the endings suuuuck. Just the most tacked on bow-tying. I still like them though, it's still worth starting at book 1.

They fit the early books. They're largely case files for quite a bit, just documenting the big case that year. The change from being in the periphery of major supernatural happenings to a major player is gradual and marks a shift from pulp/noir fantasy detective to, well, whatever you'd call him now. Stuff he does early on just doesn't have as many ramifications as when he can threaten a black court vampire and be taken very seriously.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    dsplaisted wrote: »
    1248964599329.jpg

This.

I've always wondered whether the Dresden files was any inspiration for these strips:

i-m9QXS4N-1050x10000.jpg

I can't speak to Song of the Sorcelator in general, but LH Franzibald is Tim Buckley (creator of Ctrl+Alt+Del) according to Jerry and Mike, and his ripping off Tycho's Elemenstor Saga is a poke at how often CAD copied material from PA and Scott Kurtz' PVP (like, whole storylines; see Francis' Church of Gaming in PVP and Ethan's Church of Gaming in CAD years later). The Elemenstor Saga itself was Jerry's way of making fun of what he feels is the generally terrible quality of most licensed fantasy fiction made to prop up a separate product (typically a tabletop or videogame). SotS may be a nod to Dresden, but I'm pretty sure Jerry has commented positively on the series before, so it may have just been an attempt to one-up TES by being more "extreme" in that particular early-90's comicbook way that seems to be coming back around.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    i really liked the combination of lich reference and condescension in the first paragraph

whole post was awesome

Translucia on
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Pff. Riding dinos is small-time. Dr McNinja's sidekick does it frequently. Meanwhile McNijna himself is surfing Robot Draculas from the moon.
    http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p49/

• Options
    Bought the first book last night. It was pretty late, so I only got a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks PA!

• Options
    evil santa wrote: »
    It's a great series of books. Each of the early books introduces a new element or faction (wizards, ghosts, werewolves, fallen angels, fae etc) and weaves it into an intricate mythological tapestry. There are some great surprises, character development and obstacles to overcome and Dresden is an entertaining lens to view this alternate-reality through. Great series - glad it's finally on Mike's radar. Stick through the earlier couple and get ready for some sleepless nights of reading :D

For the record, the television series is quite far removed from the literature. I could only stomach a few episodes before quitting. The Dresden comics are pretty solid, though nothing amazing. The collections of short stories are fantasticly supportive of the world he has created.

Maybe it's because I watched the TV show first I was fine with it. Particularly I actually like the TV Bob more than the book version until pretty far into the novels. But I