As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GV10 [Results]: Best Licensed Comic: Check Page 2!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited April 2015 in Graphic Violence
Our next category is Best Licensed Comic.

This category is for your favorite licensed comic of the last ten years. This means any comic based on a non-comics property, like a movie, video game, tv show, book...you get the idea. This isn't for individual issues, this is for ongoing series or miniseries

Rules

1) Nominate as many comics as you want! There's no limit
2) We're going to go back to needing only one nomination for this, as I don't think there's as many possible choices here.
3) Remember, this is your place to make your case for your favorite comic. Voting will be in a Google form, as usual
4) And: keep it civil. This isn't a place to be shitty to each other.

Alright, and nominations are open...NOW

Put your nominations in BOLD TEXT. You don't need to all caps them, though

DJ Eebs on

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Does this include comics that are based on shows that are based on comics?

Like say, a Smallville comic or something.

sig.gif
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

On the surface it's a fun adventure comic in a Transformers setting where the Autobot/Decepticon war is finally over, and a group of Autobots have set out on what is basically a Grail quest to find Cyberutopia, and with it the Knights of Cybertron. While that sounds kinda goofy on the surface (and a lot of the time it is, More Than Meets The Eye is a much more fun series on the whole than it's companion ongoing, Robots In Disguise), that doesn't stop it from packing in way more genuine emotion than one typically expects from a book about giant transforming robots on a quest. Among other things, it has one of the most touching queer romances I've read in any comic, and some fantastic friendships as well. The big quest is only lightly touched on throughout the series, and is more an impetus to get the crew out in the stars finding adventures.

In addition, James Roberts is a crazy person who seeds future plot points years in advance and foreshadows twists as well as anyone I've read. This is not only a book that has made me cry, it's a book that has made me laugh out loud in disbelief more than once when I've realized what he'd managed to sneak by me.

Overall this is a fun, funny, touching, and incredibly smart book.

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    The new Star Wars.

It's so goddamn prefect I hear all the sound effects and voices in my head. It's the best Star Wars thing I've consumed since the original trilogy.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    yeah MTMTE, its so damn good

also transformers: RiD. its faltered recently, but its pre-dark cybertron house of cards with robots schtick was excellent.

and while i'm at it: transformers vs gi joe. scioli channels his inner kirby and the plotting with john barber is enjoyably batshit

300px-TFvsJoe_promo.jpg

manji on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'll second Star Wars.

I'd like to nominate Adventure Time. It's an absolutely great comic - loves to play with the artstyle of the characters and has awesome little comments on the bottom of each page. The writer and artist are wonderful too - we met them at a con and they signed our first issue to my son and drew a Gunther on it for us.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I'm legally required to second Adventure Time because my friend did a variant cover.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The new Star Wars.

It's so goddamn prefect I hear all the sound effects and voices in my head. It's the best Star Wars thing I've consumed since the original trilogy.
    There are new star wars comics? Where?

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Matt Wagner's The Shadow. Big fan of Wagner and all he does.

Seconding Scioli's Transformers vs G.I. Joe.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The new Star Wars.

oh you're in for a treat.

Marvel is making (entirely in-canon) comics set in the time period between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back. Jason Aaron and John Cassaday are on the main Star Wars title, that follows Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest as they try to turn the victory over the Death Star into real momentum for the Rebels, while Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca are the team behind Darth Vader, which follows him as he basically tries to put his reputation back together after being embarrassed by a bunch of kids. There's also a Princess Leia miniseries by Mark Waid and Terry Dodson that is about Leia travelling the galaxy with a pilot/bodyguard trying to save the surviving Alderaanians as the Empire has put a bounty on all of them.

So far they've all been utterly fantastic.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    The new Star Wars.

oh you're in for a treat.

Marvel is making (entirely in-canon) comics set in the time period between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back. Jason Aaron and John Cassaday are on the main Star Wars title, that follows Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest as they try to turn the victory over the Death Star into real momentum for the Rebels, while Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca are the team behind Darth Vader, which follows him as he basically tries to put his reputation back together after being embarrassed by a bunch of kids. There's also a Princess Leia miniseries by Mark Waid and Terry Dodson that is about Leia travelling the galaxy with a pilot/bodyguard trying to save the surviving Alderaanians as the Empire has put a bounty on all of them.

So far they've all been utterly fantastic.

Yeah, second. Marvel has essentially hired the best writers and artists in the industry and put them on their Star Wars books.

G.I.Joe Cobra - The IDW book started as a dark, noirish story of an undercover G.I.Joe agent infiltrating a mysterious group in the days before Cobra's identity existed and evolved to become a series of character studies about the twisted personalities and their plots within the organization. It's a great example of how even a licensed property can provide the hook for great stories when the creators take their jobs seriously.

Planet of the Apes - A loose collection of series examining the political and social upheavals in the future world of Ape vs. Man that shows how well IDW can handle a licensed property. Honestly, while Cobra and Planet of the Apes are the best, any of the licensed IDW books are worth a look. The company does a good job with their licensed property.

Does Flash Gordon count? It started as a comic strip, moved to movies/serials and has had multiple comics runs in the past. If so, Dynamite's Flash Gordon books have been a ton of fun.

Conan - Dark Horse's Conan books are a master class in how to respectfully adapt a property. The stories are well written, with a consistent tone and art style that really helps to make them feel like the part of a greater whole.

Phillishere on
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Consider this another vote for Adventure Time.

And then, I put forth Regular Show because I need that sort of weird in all areas of my life. In all honesty, this is the medium for the series. As much fun as the cartoon is, I prefer it in this form.

Bravest Warriors takes all of the superhero tropes at a different sort of angle. Often dark it isn't as twisted as some deconstructions of the sidekick and has some fun yet crazy moments that entertain well.

Bee & Puppycat because of it's relation to the previous nomination.

Samurai Jack -- I don't know what to tell you. This was a mindblowing cartoon when it debuted that was cut short. Now it's back in comics to finish what was started.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'll nominate the new Ghostbusters comic, myself

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Gail Simone's Red Sonja is the best work she's done in years.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The new Star Wars.

oh dude, you are gonna be so psyched.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hope so. I consumed the EU with fervor, and have a bookshelf 7ft tall /just/ for SW print. It will be great to read some really good stuff. Anyhow I guess I'll find a thread about this so that I'm not taking this one off the rails.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Dungeons and Dragons and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from IDW are both fantastic. Both are often hilarious and a lot of fun.

Dungeons and Dragons and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from IDW are both fantastic. Both are often hilarious and a lot of fun.

That reminds me, Dynamite's Pathfinder comic and tie-ins are really good.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Another vote for Adventure Time

I'd also nominate Brian Wood's Conan the Barbarian

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'll second Transformers vs GI Joe.

It's amazing.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gonna go ahead and nominate John Rogers' Dungeons and Dragons which managed to take an incredibly generic looking premise (the adventure of a mercenary company that includes: A Human warrior, dwarf paladin, elf ranger, halfling rogue and tiefling warlock) and turn it into one of the funniest, most adventurous comics I've ever read that is somehow able to both be a love letter to Dungeons and Dragons and all of its tropes while also turning them on their head.

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Can Conan be amended so that it can also include Busiek & Nord's run a few years prior (but still in the decade)?

Nominating TMNT, a solid series that hasn't really disappointed, it just does a solid retelling of the turtles without being way out there.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think Busiek's run and Wood's run might be worth different nominations since they're very different books about Conan in very different stages of his life

Like how More than Meets the Eye gets nominated and not just Transformers

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Fair enough.

Second Conan and Bravest Warriors

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    does TMNT really count as a licensed comic? I mean it originated as a comic and has pretty much had a comic running since from what I remember.

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    not that i've read it,

but would something like Batman Beyond work here? A character that started off in a comic TV show and eventually got into a comics ongoing?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I doubt it would. I don't reckon DC has to pay to license any of those characters. TMNT is a different story. I could see the call being made either way. They seem to be under license currently from Nickelodeon, but they did start off as a comic property.

Quite honestly, this will probably be a best of IDW category, considering that their business model is based entirely around publishing comics for licensed properties.

Has anyone mentioned the DC Masters of the Universe comic? It's pretty good!

M-Tee wrote: »
    I doubt it would. I don't reckon DC has to pay to license any of those characters. TMNT is a different story. I could see the call being made either way. They seem to be under license currently from Nickelodeon, but they did start off as a comic property.

Quite honestly, this will probably be a best of IDW category, considering that their business model is based entirely around publishing comics for licensed properties.

Dynamite, too, although their line gravitates more toward vintage pulp characters than the 80s/90s nostalgia properties that IDW favors. Both companies put out good books.

That said, I expect Marvel's Star Wars books to take the top spots. Those books have been an event - Star Wars #1 was one of the bestselling single issues since the 90s boom - which is saying something considering that there hasn't exactly been a shortage of Star Wars comics on the stands in the last couple decades.

• M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I forgot about Dynamite and Ape also.

That said, are we excluding licensed properties from the best "non-big-2" category? Could be a lot of overlap there.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    It seems like this might be a category that some people will struggle to fill out five rankings for, so I'm going to nominate a few things that maybe aren't amazing, but that I do enjoy enough to buy. Who knows? maybe some people have loved some of these but would have forgotten to nominate them.

The Dresden Files A group of mini-series, some based off actual books, some original.
    Richard Castle's Derrick Storm books. Getting a bit meta with this nomination.
    Daniel Abraham's A Game of Thrones adaptation.
    Eric Shanower's Wizard of Oz books - Because Skottie Young is awesome.
    Avatar: The Last Airbender filling in the gaps between the two series.
    My Little Pony I'll be the one to bite the bullet on this, there are a couple of different series, but the difference is basically arcs vs one-shots so I'm sticking them together.
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Serenity. Because Joss, duh.
    Did you know there was a MacGyver mini a while back?
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Let's finish up with some good old Disney Afternoon: Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck and Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers.

Feel free to rule out any you don't think count, or feel are an Abomination Unto Grodd.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Has anyone mentioned the DC Masters of the Universe comic? It's pretty good!

I'm going to second DC's Masters of the Universe because it's one of the only licensed books I've read in recent times. I'll also second the new Marvel Star Wars.

Yeah, I'm going to have to say: TMNT was a comic first, so it'll be eligible in the "non big two" category that will start taking nominations on Monday

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Woo, thread title almost gave me a heart attack.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The 80s cartoon was my first exposure to TMNT, so I tend to forget it started as a comic.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Maclay wrote: »
    Eric Shanower's Wizard of Oz books - Because Skottie Young is awesome.

Doh, completely forgot about this, though I voted for Skottie Young for best artist. Seconded, thirded, fourded..

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'll second Ghostbusters. I haven't read the ongoing, but I read the crossover with TMNT and thought it was pretty great.

I'll also second My Little Pony - I read the first few issues and it is a surprisingly smart comic for kids.

Finally I'll second Regular Show - it's a great fit for the comic format.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Richard Stark's Parker series by Darwyn Cooke

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Does Star Trek: Countdown, the tie-in/prequel to the 2009 movie count? I'd like to nominate it for managing to make Nero an actually compelling character which the movie totally failed to do. I didn't know if being a four-part miniseries was too small to qualify.

Failing that, I choose to second Star Wars, TMNT and Ghostbusters.

I don't see why it wouldn't count.

Does Star Trek: Countdown, the tie-in/prequel to the 2009 movie count? I'd like to nominate it for managing to make Nero an actually compelling character which the movie totally failed to do. I didn't know if being a four-part miniseries was too small to qualify.

Failing that, I choose to second Star Wars, TMNT and Ghostbusters.

You could expand it to the entire IDW Star Trek series. The full series is a direct continuation of the style and look of that mini.