As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GV10 [Results]: Best Artist: Check Page 3 for results!

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Okay, am I going crazy, or is it supposed to be Frank Quitely? I've seen two or three different people write Frank Quietly in here. I thought it was supposed to be a pun.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm not sure! I'm going to leave it for now, but I'll check it either way when we get to the results

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It's "Frank Quitely", a spoonerism of "quite frankly" (his real name is Vincent Deighan).

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    This is super easy for me. I don't know any artists' names for comics, so I'm not even voting!

Same here!

Hi5

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    This is super easy for me. I don't know any artists' names for comics, so I'm not even voting!

Same here!

Hi5

Different strokes and all that but I have trouble wrapping my head around this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Comic books may be a visual medium, but the writing is far more important to me, so I totally get not knowing one artist from another.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The art is important to me, but for whatever reason I've never registered the artists' names in my head. I'm sure if you showed me art from various of these folks I would be able to remember where I saw it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    But, yeah, if I don't like a writer I will stop reading. If I dislike an art style I will continue reading anyhow and be happy when there's a different artist.

• M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I'm the exact opposite. I hold priorities probably around 70:30::art:writing. The writing has to be exceptionally entertaining and unique to get me to deal with mediocre or generic comic art.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

Same here!

Hi5

Different strokes and all that but I have trouble wrapping my head around this.

I'm not a visual guy. So long as the art isn't egregious, I barely notice it as art. It's just elements of the storytelling to me.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    It's pretty rare for art to bounce me from a story. I notice, and it does detract, but I'm way more likely to drop a poorly written book than I am to put down something compelling because I don't like the artist's style.

I think it helps that, in general, professional comics art very rarely dips below competency. There are a few artists with extreme styles or working in traditions I don't personally like, but I recognize that they are talented people doing their own thing.

Even then, I can see past it if the story grabs me. Like, I have always hated Crumb-style indie comics art, but I really like Hate.

After 46 ballots, this is a pretty tight race, top to bottom. Some of my personal favorites are waaaaaaaaay down on the list, but it's just...packed with great artists. The whole thing is ridiculous.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Darn it, I forgot to vote for skottie young

steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Chris G. rallies like the Ducks do against Iceland and beats Stuart Immonen!

That's a valid reference because Immonen is Canadian and hockey!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Man, while I was voting I realized...

Why didn't I nominate Steve Epting?

Dammit!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Man, while I was voting I realized...

Why didn't I nominate Steve Epting?

Dammit!

Errybody left me hanging on Epting.

I'm also bummed that no one seconded Acuna or Reis. I know some people don't dig Acuna's style, but I absolutely love it, and he's done so many books with so many different writers and styles.

And Reis is a fantastic and punctual artist, but his close partnership with Geoff Johns most likely means that only a handful of people on this board have been exposed to him in the last few years.

HadjiQuest on
    Well, again, there are a ton of great artists on this poll. It's really easy to miss some.

So, in light of writing up all of each individual writer's accomplishments, which is difficult, I decided to provide a link to examples of each artist's work. Most of these are the artist's personal site, so if you see a name that you're unfamiliar with, I'd encourage you to take a look at what they've done. This poll had the smallest turnout so far, and I feel like it's partially because people don't have a ton of knowledge of who actually worked on some of their favorite comics, so here's a quick way to learn about some of them! Note: I did a brief check of these sites, and I didn't see any NSFW material, but I would probably advise against clicking any art blogs while you're at work, just to be safe.

29-11

29) Cliff Chiang (5 pts)

28) Olivier Coipel (9 pts)

26) Sara Pichelli (12 pts)

26) Tula Lotay (12 pts)

25) Mike Allred (14 pts)

23) Jordie Bellaire (16 pts)

23) Annie Wu (16 pts)

22) Leinil Yu (17 pts)

20) Doug Mahnke (19 pts)

20) Babs Tarr (19 pts)

18) Darwyn Cooke (20 pts)

18) John Cassaday (20 pts)

16) Chris Samnee (27 pts)

16) Jerome Opeña (27 pts)

15) Chris Giarrusso (28 pts)

13) Bryan Lee O’Malley (31 pts)

13) Brandon Graham (31 pts)

12) Jamie McKelvie (33 pts)

11) James Stokoe (38 pts)

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    How the hell did Coipel get 29th

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Because in the last 10 years he's done 8 issues of House of M, 6 issues of Thor, 3 issues of X-Men aaaaaaaaaaaand that's about it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    TOP TEN
    10) Francesco Francavilla (43 pts)

3O97hor.jpg

9) JH Williams III (45 pts)

wZ7C2uZ.jpg

8) Frank Quitely (50 pts)

76KO8uI.jpg

7) Chip Zdarsky (61 pts)

rhi9Rdd.png

6) Skottie Young (64 pts)

XU51QIa.png

5) Fiona Staples (69 pts)

dnaqpZx.jpg

4) David Aja (71 pts)

39WkdsL.jpg

3) Esad Ribic (75 pts)

ao4qKXC.jpg

2) Phil Noto (95 pts)

6XjHHyu.jpg

1) Stuart Immonen (145 pts)

qeNZwQY.jpg

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2015
    Balefuego wrote: »

Because in the last 10 years he's done 8 issues of House of M, 6 issues of Thor, 3 issues of X-Men aaaaaaaaaaaand that's about it
    Spider-Verse, Siege, JMS' Thor, AvX

Also David Aja has done, like, Immortal Iron Fist, an issue of Secret Avengers and the INCREDIBLY delayed Hawkeye

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    coipel got 28th because this thing is fucking loaded with talent

I mean yeah you're not wrong and my Number 1 pick totally won so I'm not all salty or anything

But like

Don't get me wrong I love Chip Zdarsky to death and think he's talented

But there's kinda a reason the picture you put up is covered in text he wrote. While a talented artist he is a way more skilled, and hilarious, writer. Seems weird he got 7th place.

CYpGAPn.png
    I mean yeah you're not wrong and my Number 1 pick totally won so I'm not all salty or anything

But like

But there's kinda a reason the picture you put up is covered in text he wrote. While a talented artist he is a way more skilled, and hilarious, writer. Seems weird he got 7th place.

well his best work is probably in sex criminals which is...difficult to post

Quietly over JH Williams? For real you guys! for real?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Side note: I learned while writing this up that Leinil Yu and Olivier Coipel have more i's in their first name than I originally thought

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Wow, everyone I voted for made it into the top ten

This is a first for me

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

But like

well his best work is probably in sex criminals which is...difficult to post

Even then, the reason I love him so much as the artist for Sex Criminals is because of all of the little background jokes he manages to shove into that comic. A lot of which are more based on his ability to be a hilarious writer than on sheer artistic talent.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Quitely at fucking 8???

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    O'Malley at 13 is a crime

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Comedy is hard, though. Making pictures both hilarious and emotionally resonant in the same book, often in the same page or even panel? Yeah, I'd say that's a skill worth recognizing.

Fearghaill wrote: »
    Comedy is hard, though. Making pictures both hilarious and emotionally resonant in the same book, often in the same page or even panel? Yeah, I'd say that's a skill worth recognizing.
    I don't think anyone is saying he isn't talented at all and doesn't deserve to be on the list

But placing as high as he did is pretty nuts to me

CYpGAPn.png
    heh, nuts

heh, nuts
    I'M A COMEDY GENIUS

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    heh, nuts
    I'M A COMEDY GENIUS

Blank for 7th

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    My only regret is that Brandon Graham didn't place above McKelvie

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Like, I'm okay with Quietly, but literally the only piece of art of his I actually loved was All-Star Superman, and as good as that series was, just one series at your A game doesn't get my vote.

I've loved Phil Noto's work since his stuff on the Vs. Series Card game, but I'm honestly shocked he clocked in at 2.

Immonen is art god so I'm not really surprised he took it.

But you know what my biggest issue is?

DAVID.

FUCKIN

AJA.

I like his art. I do. It's nice and it works. his composition is actually his strongest quality, not the actual art. But the quality of his work is not even CLOSE to directly proportional to how LONG it fucking takes.

Like, the time he takes to work can be measured by goddamn Carbon Dating.

Again, I love his work on Iron Fist and Hawkeye. But taking as long as he does, it should look like Esad Ribic's. So I couldn't vote for him in good faith.

Think about it this way.

He started working at pretty much this sub-forum's inception.

HE IS STILL NOT DONE WITH HIS SECOND MAJOR WORK SINCE HE STARTED.

Oh and WHOOPS Esad Ribic is actually timely!

well I mean this wasn't "best at hitting deadlines"

well I mean this wasn't "best at hitting deadlines"

And composition is arguably more important when drawing comic books than when drawing anything else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]