As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Fucking Thread About the 2016 Elections, Seriously, What the Hell, I Don't Even

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    It's still a bit crazy to me that this thread is now 100 pages long and we barely have one candidate declared for the run and are only in April 2015. Everything we see and talk about now in what I'm sure will be many subsequent threads will seem quaint and the butt of jokes by the time next year rolls around.

we need a timehop app for this thread

"God, I can't believe we didn't realize President Carson was a serious candidate."

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It's still a bit crazy to me that this thread is now 100 pages long and we barely have one candidate declared for the run and are only in April 2015. Everything we see and talk about now in what I'm sure will be many subsequent threads will seem quaint and the butt of jokes by the time next year rolls around.

"God, I can't believe we didn't realize President Carson was a serious candidate."

Zombie Johnny Carson can be President whenever. That'd be fine with me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Clearly you don't know much about Johnny C if you think that...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Which minority group did he hate? Or was it women?

shryke wrote: »

Which minority group did he hate? Or was it women?

Married several times, was just noted as kind of being an alcoholic prick.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    For a bit I thought you were talking about former President Jimmy Carter and I was all WTF?!?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Walmart, money is the major factor in any GOP situation.

I don't disagree, but just like when training a dog, you give a pet and a treat when they do the right thing. You know they did the right thing to get the pet and the treat, but that's not the point.

If the GOP starts getting independent numbers that outweigh the tea party loons we might be able to see the party pull itself out of the clown pants they currently inhabit.

That above situation is, to me, so incredibly crazy a thought that I just laughed when I re-read it after posting it.

Just to be clear, they've always had the clown pants on.

They were just careful to hide them under the falsehood of respectable slacks, They took the façade off because they thought the crazy could challenge Obama, and all it did was fracture and devolve the secretly crazy insane bullshit party into a dozen openly crazy insane bullshit subparties.

I don't know, I think the establishment was happy to feed their core voters social wedge issues and tall tales about taxes and govt. excess for years. I don't think they believed a lick of it either. It worked really well, so they continued to do it. You can only dance with the devil for so long though. I don't think the party willingly dropped any facades..I think their own base basically erupted from underneath them when the election of a black president made it abundantly clear "the times they were a changing." And I hate saying that since I'm basically calling it racism, but honestly..I've had a hard time coming up with any other good reason for the sudden rise of tea party types and swift radicalization of the republican platform.

While I don't think we can rule out anti-Obama racism as a Tea Party motivation - it's out there, no question - it seems like a lazy explanation for the whole monkey barrel, and unlikely to hold up. If Hillary is the next president, does anyone see the Tea Party suddenly rediscovering their marbles because she's white? If anything, it will get worse.

My own opinion is that it comes down to two things. First is the fragmentation of news sources and the construction of an alternative universe of conservative reporting which exists principally to tell conservative voters that the apocalypse is upon us all day every day, and also to sell them fake aphrodisiacs and gold futures. Second is the long erosion of economic security for the working class whites that make up the Republican base, which makes all that fearmongering believable. Both trends are long-standing. They just weren't visible while we had a Republican president and a housing bubble propping up the economy.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Hillary will doubtlessly be attacked for not being sufficiently 'feminine' enough - I mean, she gets that NOW, but it'll just get so much worse - and there'll be endless combing and speculation about affairs.

If Michelle Obama was somehow a candidate, there would be a lot of research put in to see how much money she may have 'got' from the government.

It's partly about race and gender, yes, but the people stoking this are less interested in espousing a prejudice they actually believe and more just looking for the best angle to commit slander/demonize the opponent.

That's just my impression, anyway.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It's way too early to talk about a Clinton dynasty. It's one generation, and a married couple at that. Could the Clintons possibly have been drawn to each other at least partially due to mutual ambition, drive, talent, and interest in politics?

I think so.

Married couple counts.
    We can start talking about a Clinton dynasty when Chelsea becomes a senator or governor, but not before then.

We don't need to be that strict with dynasties.
    It's way too early to talk about a Clinton dynasty. It's one generation, and a married couple at that. Could the Clintons possibly have been drawn to each other at least partially due to mutual ambition, drive, talent, and interest in politics?

I think so.

We can start talking about a Clinton dynasty when Chelsea becomes a senator or governor, but not before then.

Even then it's a bad argument. The dynasty argument is an attempt to get around actually discussing positions that candidates hold by substituting a silly argument that one's last name is a measure of their worth as a candidate.

In other words, don't hate Jeb because he's a Bush. Hate him because he had terrible politics and a terrible record.

Eh, it's not like that's all he has against him as a candidate. Being the third Bush circling the Oval Office isn't a good thing for America. It's not like it's the worst thing about him, but it is a subject that can't be over looked.

Dac wrote: »
    Hillary will doubtlessly be attacked for not being sufficiently 'feminine' enough - I mean, she gets that NOW, but it'll just get so much worse - and there'll be endless combing and speculation about affairs.

If Michelle Obama was somehow a candidate, there would be a lot of research put in to see how much money she may have 'got' from the government.

It's partly about race and gender, yes, but the people stoking this are less interested in espousing a prejudice they actually believe and more just looking for the best angle to commit slander/demonize the opponent.

That's just my impression, anyway.

Misogyny will be at all time high in politics with a female Democrat presidential politician, much like racism has been influencing Obama's term.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I think so.

Married couple counts.

Not really.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the dynasty thing can plausibly be applied to the Bushes; their family has been wealthy and active in politics for generations. It can't reasonably be applied to the Clintons. If the Clinton 'dynasty' were truly such a determinative thing, Obama wouldn't have beat her like a drum in 2008.

it's never been entirely clear why we should care so much about political 'dynasties' anyway, especially as they pertain to the presidency. Voters will have ample opportunity to choose candidates other than Jeb Bush, and if they do pick him, that's kind of democracy at work.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    the dynasty thing can plausibly be applied to the Bushes; their family has been wealthy and active in politics for generations.

And not just through the male line! Barbara is a direct ancestor of Franklin Pierce!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    the dynasty thing can plausibly be applied to the Bushes; their family has been wealthy and active in politics for generations.

And not just through the male line! Barbara is a direct ancestor of Franklin Pierce!

Descendant. Or is there weird time travel shit going on?

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Descendant. Or is there weird time travel shit going on?

American politics just keeps getting weirder.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    More useless poll news from WaPo-ABC: Clinton cleanly divides country on favorables but remains the most well-known and well-liked candidate in either party. She still beats every plausible GOP candidate by the same margins as before - Bush by 12, Walker by 14, Rubio by 15 and Cruz by 17.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/clintons-star-is-fading-but-republicans-still-play-catch-up/2015/04/02/9dbf25ea-d8ec-11e4-8103-fa84725dbf9d_graphic.html

Bush's numbers against Clinton doesn't help him much with primary voters (polled by Quinnipiac) in Florida (24 %), Ohio (8 %) or Pennsylvania (9 %).

Absalon on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

shit Franklin Pierce genetics explain alot about W. being an absolutely useless tool of a president.

the dynasty thing can plausibly be applied to the Bushes; their family has been wealthy and active in politics for generations. It can't reasonably be applied to the Clintons. If the Clinton 'dynasty' were truly such a determinative thing, Obama wouldn't have beat her like a drum in 2008.

It's not like Hillary hasn't been giving it the old college try, and almost won last election. She wasn't coming in last or anything in the Dem presidential primary.
    it's never been entirely clear why we should care so much about political 'dynasties' anyway, especially as they pertain to the presidency. Voters will have ample opportunity to choose candidates other than Jeb Bush, and if they do pick him, that's kind of democracy at work.

America's supposed to be a democracy, not a monarchy.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

shit Franklin Pierce genetics explain alot about W. being an absolutely useless tool of a president.

Actually, lizard people genetics explain a lot about W's presidency.

(shit, I can't believe there are 12 and a half million people who actually sincerely believe that)

Re: this conversation about Hillary's dynasty or whatever, it's true that I want more faces in politics than just Bushes and Clintons because a part of me wishes desperately that name recognition wasn't, like, at least 50% of winning the nomination. However, there is plenty to be wary of Hillary for: her corporate ties, her hawkish foreign policy, and the ease with which she changes her views based on what is popular today come to mind. It doesn't need to be about dynasties.

Still, I would much much much much rather have Hillary in office than Jeb.

(shit, I can't believe there are 12 and a half million people who actually sincerely believe that)

Re: this conversation about Hillary's dynasty or whatever, it's true that I want more faces in politics than just Bushes and Clintons because a part of me wishes desperately that name recognition wasn't, like, at least 50% of winning the nomination. However, there is plenty to be wary of Hillary for: her corporate ties, her hawkish foreign policy, and the ease with which she changes her views based on what is popular today come to mind. It doesn't need to be about dynasties.

It doesn't but I don't see the need to ignore it as a factor in her running for president. It's a thing she can't ignore.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

It doesn't but I don't see the need to ignore it as a factor in her running for president. It's a thing she can't ignore.

She absolutely can if Jeb is the Republican nominee. Glass houses, stones, etc.

Nah, that won't stop it being bought up.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Then she needs to mention just who has the father who used to be President.

A dynasty isn't a husband and wife.

edited April 2015

Then she needs to mention just who has the father who used to be President.

Won't solve anything.
    A dynasty isn't a husband and wife.

Either way it's not a point in her favor.

Harry Dresden on

Okay? What are you saying, that Jeb would bring up the fact that her husband was President and score points, when she can just as easily point out that his father and brother were President?

Like, in what world would that be a win for anybody?

Okay? What are you saying, that Jeb would bring up the fact that her husband was President and score points, when she can just as easily point out that his father and brother were President?

Like, in what world would that be a win for anybody?

If it happens it won't be Jeb who would do it, it would be "completely unaffiliated SuperPAC" that Hillary can't answer directly without legitimizing it. Of course, a totally "completely unaffiliated SuperPAC" might try and rebut it....

I mean, voters are goldfish and all but I really don't think Bush will want to go there. Enough people will know who he's related to that any ad like that would just come across as ridiculous.

Yea, I just don't know how tight a leash the superPAC's will stay on over on team Crazy. I know Romney had some issues with it last time.

Oh, and on top of that Bush has had a relative in office more recently, so there's that too

• SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    As hard as the right has been trying to rewrite the GWB presidency, the Bush name remains just as much as a liability as it does a benefit for Jeb.

Hillary is not as encumbered by Bill's legacy because Bill remains fairly well liked and his presidency as relatively positive.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    You can be sure Jeb will do as much as possible to distance himself from his brother. He'd have to be an idiot to open himself up for that and he's not stupid, no matter how terrible and wrong he may be.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited April 2015
    Yea, I just don't know how tight a leash the superPAC's will stay on over on team Crazy. I know Romney had some issues with it last time.

They don't have to, Fox News, conservative pundits or an editorial piece will do it for him. There's numerous people he'd have as allies who can bring it up while he remains neutral on the subject.

Harry Dresden on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just remember: most of the people you hear saying "let's make a deal - no more Bushes, no more Clintons" are Republicans who are scared of Hillary and are willing to give up Jeb Bush to not have to face her.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

They don't have to, Fox News, conservative pundits or an editorial piece will do it for him. There's numerous people he'd have as allies who can bring it up while he remains neutral on the subject.

Even if it's not Jeb or his campaign doing it, it's still going to draw the obvious comparison, even from our shitty news media.

Anyone who can legally vote in this election is old enough to remember when the last Bush was President. And though it's softened considerably, he left office with an approval rating roughly equal to that of syphilis.

I don't think the "do we really want 4 more years of X" card is one that the right is going to want to play. Though I could be underestimating the level of delusion they have about their own hatred for the first Clinton being a mainstream feeling.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

The problem is that you haven't given a good argument for why we shouldn't ignore it. And if you're going to raise the "need more new faces in politics" point, let me point to the influx of new politicians courtesy of the Tea Party (many of whom have little to no prior experience as elected officials) and ask: How's that working out for you?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

It's not like Hillary hasn't been giving it the old college try, and almost won last election. She wasn't coming in last or anything in the Dem presidential primary.

America's supposed to be a democracy, not a monarchy.

this line sounds cool and all but it basically amounts to begging the question; if you hold an election and the people have to vote to give the 'royal family' (so to speak) another four years, what you have can't really be described as a monarchy (especially when the people just eight years ago voted to go ahead and not do that)

why is it a 'factor' that 'can't be ignored?'

fuck I don't even like hillary and probably won't vote for her, but this line of argument against her candidacy is dumb

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    So Martin O'Malley is making noises that sound like a run against Hillary:
    O’Malley wants to be that new leadership, but in everything that matters, he’s far behind Clinton. He trails in the polls, he trails in fundraising, and he trails in party support. But the former Maryland governor knows he’s not going to overcome Clinton with resources. His plan is to stand as a liberal alternative for Democrats who want a more populist alternative to Clinton’s modest, center-left agenda, and hope that—like in 2008—Clinton loses her grip on inevitability.

Personally, as soon as I hear any alternative to Hillary, I get interested. But I admit I know nothing about the guy except what's in that article.

Account not recoverable. So long.
    He didn't destroy Maryland and he's pretty nice I think?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    One upside to the Iowa caucuses is that smart money usage and a good ground game (and frothing at the mouth supporters) can hold up against wealthier campaigns.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Is that the guy who's the Tommy Carcetti to Obama's Matt Santos?

Diplominator on