As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GV10 [Results]: Best Event Comic: Check Page 2!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited April 2015 in Graphic Violence
Our next category is Best Event Comic.

This category is for your favorite event comic of the last ten years. What's an event comic? Think of the original Secret Wars, or Crisis on Infinite Earths. A massive, company wide crossover that launches new series and shakes up the status quo for that comic publisher.

Rules

1) Nominate as many comics as you want! There's no limit
2) We're going to go back to needing only one nomination for this, as I don't think there's as many possible choices here.
3) Remember, this is your place to make your case for your favorite comic. Voting will be in a Google form, as usual
4) And: keep it civil. This isn't a place to be shitty to each other.

Alright, and nominations are open...NOW

Put your nominations in BOLD TEXT. You don't need to all caps them, though

DJ Eebs on

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna continue my stumping for Morrison and nominate Final Crisis

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Annihilation

Just a great event and full of all the bits I love in the cosmic/space parts of the marvel universe. The followup didn't really grab me apart from the spectacular Phyla Vell Quasar costume.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    So is this only events that have thier own miniseries or would a crossover like Second Coming count?

What about something like Zero Year which mainly just a giant year long storyline in one series but had a few tie ins.

What about something like Dark Reign?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Balefuego wrote: »
    So is this only events that have thier own miniseries or would a crossover like Second Coming count?

What about something like Zero Year which mainly just a giant year long storyline in one series but had a few tie ins.

What about something like Dark Reign?

For the sake of this, let's go with two options:

1) Something with a central miniseries that has a bunch of tie-ins.
    2) A single story that is told over a group of related comics, like Second Coming, which requires you to follow along from title to title to get the full story

Zero Year is a no, because it's mostly told within one specific title, and branding like Dark Reign or Heroic Age are a little bigger in scope than I'd look for. This would be for the event itself, the core story to these broad stories.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm going to nominate House of M, because one of the first things I did in this subforum, before I even did the superhero tournament, was set up a House of M masterthread that did brief recaps of the main series and every tie-in. So, yeah, that's a bit of a personal thing, but the miniseries itself is, in my opinion, the best single story Marvel did in any of their event comics, with gorgeous art and a really cool alternate world.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So, would Doomwar count? It wasn't spread over multiple ongoing series, and it was a core mini-series without tie-ins, but I've always thought of it as an "event". For me, it was one of the best examples of the form: it wasn't hyped up, which means that expectations weren't through the roof, and when it came out it was really well-written. It was like a bolt from a clear sky, just quality writing dropping unexpectedly into your lap.

It also had one of my two favorite portrayals of Dr. Doom, and even managed to sneak in a Deadpool portrayal that - after years of the Daniel Waysian Deadpool - was a breath of fresh air for me.

EDIT: Likewise, would Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers be considered an event, or more like a mini-series, or what?

Delduwath on
    I was going to nominate House of M! In it's stead I will nominate Second Coming which captured the feel of an old school X-Men crossover while pushing the franchise into a new era.

I will also nominate Sinesto Corps War for being the only DC event of the last decade that I can remember liking, and I am going to try really hard not to hold the fact that it started Green Lantern and the DC universe down a road to ruin against it, because in of itself it's a fucking kickass superhero epic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'll second Annihilation. Because it led to Nova putting Stark and the whole "Civil War" thing into perspective:
    Nova02-11.jpg

House of M because I like alternate universe stuff and because it's been a decade and the X-Men still aren't back to status quo. Even though they are close now.

Second Coming. Debated either this or Messiah Complex, but I think SC is better.

Secret Invasion. Because there are a lot more of Marvel events I want to nominate but I think this one was the best one that delivered on its promise of shaking things up. This could, and probably should, have been Civil War, but CW had too many "what the hell?" things in it.

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Seconding Final Crisis! Some of the best Darkseid lines ever come from that.

h4izk9isiq2f.png

Nominating Seige. Wonderful crazy Norman Osborn. Terrifying Sentry. Loki heel-turn.

If final crisis wins this I am going to be so mad at you guys

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gonna nominate Infinity for being the best tent pole Marvel event since House of M on top of being basically Avengers+Mass Effect (basically peanut butter and chocolate) and having some of the most badass character moments in Avengers history, as well as setting into motion the rise of the Inhumans and the creation of Thane.

CYpGAPn.png
    Also, yo

Annihilation: Conquest is way better than original flavor, it's what introduced this forum's number 1 team of the past decade and had a lot less boring filler.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Plus I mean

Annihilation had Annihilus

Conquest had Ultron

One of these is clearly superior

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Huh that was a weird draft error

Grey Ghost on
    Why would you do that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately Identity Crisis is just out of the nomination range

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    I wanted to nominate Infinity but Blank beat me

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

Annihilation
    Annihilation Conquest
    Civil War
    House of M
    Thanos Imperative

edited April 2015
    Uh I'm actually going to nominate The Thanos Imperative

I really dig the cosmic stuff and this one was both a huge sweeping adventure and also really unsettling when it got into the Cancerverse stuff

Grey Ghost on
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to sit this one out. Events are my absolute least favorite aspect of comics. But I do look forward to reading folks making cases for their favorites.

DAMN IT

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm gonna second Infinity and Second Coming

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    DAMN IT
    You can second nominations you dweeb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to go ahead and nominate Siege because somebody should. That was a good story, especially with the context of the Siege: Loki one-shot added in.

Centipede Damascus on
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    DAMN IT
    You can second nominations you dweeb

You're the dweeb

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm nominating Blackest Night.

sig.gif
    Oh I'm also going to nominate

Spider-Men

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Thirding House Of M because I am not a philistine and it has to be stated because it's the best Marvel event, and arguably, a top 3 comics event, ever.

Balefuego wrote: »
    Oh I'm also going to nominate

Spider-Men
    Don't think that counts since it had no tie-ins and was just one miniseries

CYpGAPn.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    It's not over yet, but I am going to nominate Time Runs Out - the Mega-Ultra event that spans Hickman's Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers World and a bunch of tie-ins and contains Infinity and Secret Wars. It may be a bridge too far - the whole thing is somewhere between being just the plotline of the Avengers books and one of the biggest events that Marvel has ever done - but I think it qualifies, especially seeing that the endpoint will be the destruction/reboot/annihilation of both the regular Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe.

• Quantum KnightQuantum Knight Registered User regular
    I'm seconding Blackest Night, and Sinestro Corps War if it counts, because at the time they were probably the best thing to happen to Green Lantern in years.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sinestro Corps War was fantastic, with maybe the best first crossover issue of any event I can remember.

It's not over yet, but I am going to nominate Time Runs Out - the Mega-Ultra event that spans Hickman's Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers World and a bunch of tie-ins and contains Infinity and Secret Wars. It may be a bridge too far - the whole thing is somewhere between being just the plotline of the Avengers books and one of the biggest events that Marvel has ever done - but I think it qualifies, especially seeing that the endpoint will be the destruction/reboot/annihilation of both the regular Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe.
    I don't think Secret Wars is eligible yet since the first issue doesn't come out for a month

CYpGAPn.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I don't think Secret Wars is eligible yet since the first issue doesn't come out for a month

I'm nominating the mega-event that is four-fifths complete and will conclude with Secret Wars on the strength of the existing material.

I mean

I think Infinity, Time Runs Out and Secret Wars are all three separate events

Like they feed into each other, of course, but they each have their own branding and tie-ins and whatnot

I'm not even sure I'd qualify Time Runs Out as an event personally but it fits the criteria since it is in Avengers, New Avengers and Avengers World

CYpGAPn.png
    It was short and not nearly as grandiose as the rest of these

But The Omega Effect in Daredevil, Avenging Spider-Man and Punisher was an awesome, fun story that advanced the plots of all 3 characters and has one of my favorite Daredevil moments ever.

CYpGAPn.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I actually might be more interested in seeing what events don't get nominated for this.

That said, I'm going to add in War of Kings. Shi'ar (led by Cyclops' crazy brother Vulcan) versus Kree (led by the Inhumans) in a slugging match that literally tore a hole in the galaxy. All while the Guardians of the Galaxy are running around trying to stop the war, which results in both sides going "Who the fuck are you?".

Also: Gladiator ends up as Emperor of the Shi'ar, there was an attempted revival of Darkhawk, and Vulcan is dead hopefully for good.

Honestly, it amuses me that the cosmic line had some really fucking epic-in-scope events that just skipped by most of the heroes on Earth, but I also appreciate that because it made them more self contained.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm going to do the devil's work and nominate

Avengers vs X-Men - This was a fun, super-huge, super-colorful crossover that seemed to be a fun retro-styled project for all the talent involved, throwing back to the beat-em-up crossovers of the 80s and 90s while still telling a fairly strong (if somewhat cliched) story, utilizing a lot of Marvel's mythology, and setting up a status quo that produced some great stories and culminated others.

Seconding Blackest Night - this was what finally dragged me kicking and screaming back into the world of monthly comics. It wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed reading it each month.

Seconding Siege - I started reading marvel really heavily during the Dark Reign, and so I was psyched that this was my first Marvel event at the time. I really dug the art and how neat some of the cliffhangers were between issues. I also loved how the ending basically brought a huge, colorful, positive change to that universe, which feels more and more uncommon in cape books as the universes get bigger and storytelling even between different runs becomes more serialized.

Seconding Sinestro Corps War and Final Crisis as well.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Planet/World War Hulk

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Would Superior Spider-man count? Changed status quo for a fair bit, and covered 3-4 titles + ties ins?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508