As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GV10 [Results]: Best Artist: Check Page 3 for results!

124»

• M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I couldn't care less about deadlines. I don't read monthlies. I don't do comic shops (don't even have them in my country, actually), and I don't store floppies. I can wait for full books and trades. And I'd rather wait than have some generic fill-in artist ruin an arc. (Bachalo and the other not-Quitelys on Morrison's New X-Men are atrocious stains on something that would otherwise, much better hold up over time.)

I'm surprised by the (high amount of unique) talent that made the top 10. The only artists I don't dig at all are Immonen and Saga's artist (the former for simply having a style I don't care for at all and the latter for a lack of harmony between backgrounds and foregrounds.)

Most importantly though, I'll be digging through 29-11 for artist blogs to add to my RSS feed.

Much appreciated.
    Like, I'm okay with Quietly, but literally the only piece of art of his I actually loved was All-Star Superman, and as good as that series was, just one series at your A game doesn't get my vote.

Being at your A game and being loved by a specific netizen are not synonymous. His issues of Batman & Robin are totally boss and gave that series a far stronger kick-off than had it been illustrated by anyone guilty of DC house-style syndrome. Jupiter's Legacy also sports stellar and unique art, probably not seen by most of the members of this board due to the general anti-Millar viewpoint here.

Quitely wasn't my number one. He might or might not have even cracked by top 5, I don't recall. But he definitely deserves his spot. Perhaps had he done more work, it'd be higher.

M-Tee on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Immomen has like a hundred styles

That's part of what makes him so good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Perhaps. But I haven't seen anything from him, including his Nextwave stuff, that I've cared for. Moreover, I absolutely abhor his talking heads as well.

I look for very distinct styles in artists. And where Marvel is far better than DC at publishing various styles, I pretty much see Immonen and the colorists that get put on his work as the epitome of Marvel house style.

Not to say that I particularly dislike his work (I actually totally dig those new X-men outfits he designed), just that I don't see anything he does as being special enough to hold above anyone else working for the big M.

M-Tee on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    well I mean this wasn't "best at hitting deadlines"

And composition is arguably more important when drawing comic books than when drawing anything else.

that was something CB Cebulski emphasised at one of the Marvel panels - there are a lot of great artists and illustrators out there, but unless you can effectively tell a story visually, they can't use you for comics beyond maybe drawing cover illustrations.

To run with a metaphor from another panel, the writer is the playwright, and the artist is the actor and it doesn't matter how good looking you are, you still need to be able to act.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean, I personally wouldn't have arranged these artists in this order.

But if you have any doubts about how ridiculously loaded with talent this list of artists is, you need only look at this fact:

Cliff Chiang came in dead last.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Doug Mahnke and James Stokoe not getting into the top 10 is gonna make me riot in the streets, though.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Quitely has the Quitely Face thing, but if you can look past that, he's an amazing artist at conveying emotion and action. His comic timing is top notch. He can get lazy, but he's a large part of why Preacher is still so well regarded.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Quitely has the Quitely Face thing, but if you can look past that, he's an amazing artist at conveying emotion and action. His comic timing is top notch. He can get lazy, but he's a large part of why Preacher is still so well regarded.
    Steve Dillon did the art for Preacher

And is also not a super good artist

CYpGAPn.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Steve Dillon did the art for Preacher

And is also not a super good artist

You just blew my mind. I've had that wrong for, like, decades.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I love Quitely but I intentionally didn't vote for him based on how little work he's done overall in the last 10 years. Part of that was because I had thought All-Star Superman published its first few issues before the poll started, but I was wrong there, so my bad I guess.

Still, someone joked about Olivier Coipel having only done 15 issues or something, but he's had major projects every year I can remember, and Marvel has been good at slotting him into big events and happenings for two or three issues. He's been on a laundry list of some of Marvel's biggest titles in the last 10 years.

Quitely has done All-Star Superman (12 issues), 3 issues of Batman and Robin, part of a featured story in the Batman 700 anniversary issue, a backup in DCU Legacies (which was basically DC's attempt to do their own Marvels as an excuse to create a gorgeous book celebrating their history and past artists; I highly recommend it!), the Pax Americana Multiversity issue, and however many issues of Jupiter's Legacy have shipped (5 according to wiki). Once again, had I realized All-Star was entirely published during the poll's time frame, I may have given him fifth place or something. It's weird that a guy being recognized in the top 10 has done so little work, with only 9 full issues since All-Star wrapped up in 2008, and five of those coming from a Millar book that probably no one here is reading.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Thank you everyone for voting for Chris G, he got higher than I expected.

MiniMarvelsCap_Vs_USAgent_zpscd80abc3.jpg

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I never tire of that Daredevil gag.