As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Super quick paint job on my Gears of War board game COG figures. Just base, wash, single color highlight. Took less than an hour or two for all four. Nothing fancy, but at least now it'll be harder to move the wrong model when we play!

AzLmY1D.jpg?1

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    It has bars? Man, I need to look at this thing some more.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Bearing in mind that "Bar" is the metric measurement of pressure, as opposed to "PSI" ...

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Ah right, sorry for the confusion.

• Options
    Is there any way one of my state-side bros could do me a favour? There are simple supplies that are, for some reason, rather dumb to find reasonably priced in Canada. Like, Vallejo Surface Primer is largely only available on ebay for semi-reasonable prices. And even there, shipping is a bitch 99% of the time ...
    Anyone on the East coast have access to a decent hobby shop where they could grab things like this and just put it in one box for me? <3

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Send me a list, I will send you supplies.

And your last, awful, secret santa gift.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Is there any way one of my state-side bros could do me a favour? There are simple supplies that are, for some reason, rather dumb to find reasonably priced in Canada. Like, Vallejo Surface Primer is largely only available on ebay for semi-reasonable prices. And even there, shipping is a bitch 99% of the time ...
    Anyone on the East coast have access to a decent hobby shop where they could grab things like this and just put it in one box for me? <3

Stock levels can be hit or miss, but check out Meeplemart for some stuff. I know they carry Vallejo Surface Primer and ship canada wide.

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Stock levels can be hit or miss, but check out Meeplemart for some stuff. I know they carry Vallejo Surface Primer and ship canada wide.

Aye, stock is usually their problem. That said, last I had looked for VSP on there they had switched over entirely to Badger's Stylinrez (or however it's spelled), so it's good to see it still around. I was hoping to get some Vallejo liquid mask as well, but they were out of that at the moment, which is largely what has spawned me asking this. :P

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    @ArcticLancer I don't think I can do any Vallejo stuff but if there's anything else you might need I can have a look!

Most of the independent hobby stores around here are... not great... from my personal experiences. Poor stock and unfriendly to new people. The Games Workshop, which has plenty of stock and friendly people, obviously won't be providing my Vallejo fixes.

BreakfastPM on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Any recommendation for solvent and/or setting solution for waterslide decals?

Also, was it @Dr_Keenbean that posted some videos of some nice looking weathering pigments? What were those again?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    For the decals, you want MicroSet and MicroSol. You should be able to find those for cheap at a hobby store.

• Options
    Any recommendation for solvent and/or setting solution for waterslide decals?

Also, was it @Dr_Keenbean that posted some videos of some nice looking weathering pigments? What were those again?

The ones he mentioned that I picked up were from Flory models. My experience with them so far was positive, although I'd really like to use them more to have a better assessment.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Yeah, those are the ones I was thinking of.

Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Marginal progress. Fiddly bloody thing.

oz5QgXO.jpg

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    How did you get that black/orange color?

Woozl on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Woozl wrote: »

Just your standard pact with the devil.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Woozl wrote: »

Weathering powders, I'd wager.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah I did a quick coat of black mixed with a greeny brown then got the powders out. :)

I can't decide between skitarri or a t-90. :(

J on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Both

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Both is not an option!

I think when you look at your money from a modelling perspective ( as I don't game ) A scale kit is insane value for money compared to similar offerings from PP or GW etc. But nature of the beast and all that.

Maybe I should just move to America as you all seem to have lovely local scenes for getting some games in.

J on
  • Options
    Do it.

Then I steal your mans an claim I painted them myself.

• Options
    Alternatively, move to Canada because you'll find yourself much more "at home". There's legs to the whole commonwealth union idea.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So I've added a Succubus to my Coven heavy army, and I didn't want to use an actual Succubus model as it would stand out a little too much. So after coming up with a few ideas, I realized the new Harlequin Solitaire was the perfect base model for what I wanted.

A couple hours of raiding my bitz box, some cutting, filing and glue later, this is what I've come up with.

My Coven Succubus!
    Mgr1xxs.jpg
    3P3kdA5.jpgGYqS0xw.jpg

Now, like the rest of my army, it just needs some paint :)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    That looks super awesome.

I'm trying to think of a way to fix my succubus' highwater pants problem.

• Options
    Speaking of gaming... Is there any way for a fellow to find out if any of you gents are near enough to get some games in?

In other news, I spent all morning getting all the base coats done on my Night Lord Captain and the blue onto the Dreadnought. All that's left for them to be table-top standard (in my opinion, certainly not to the quality you guys produce) is to finish the big guy.
    vbzd0u7kq5ec.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2015
    Thanks to modern technology, I no longer keep all my paints in a random old box!

CBsEKR_WAAEpYwa.jpg:medium

Echo on
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    My Coven Succubus!
    Mgr1xxs.jpg

Now, like the rest of my army, it just needs some paint :)

I just finished assembling the new succubus model, and now I wish I hadn't. I'm jealous.

• Options
    So, a question for everyone...

@J says the finecast Dark Eldar Incubi are dog shit. And while I am loathe to distrust him of all people; I just can't dig those metal Incubi models. If I go with the finecast ones what horrors am I getting myself into? Also, what glue works on resin?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Super glue.

Finecast is just the metal version but with more air bubbles and flash than there is model. Same sculpt.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Super glue.

Finecast is just the metal version but with more air bubbles and flash than there is model. Same sculpt.[/b]

Find metal ones. It's worth it.

• Options
    I guess I need to look harder. The only metal ones I can find are this old shit. And I don't want any of that.
    dti0ljk3tbwj.jpg

• Options
    I have a few of those old incubi somewhere. They were a bit... special.

• Options
    Do I have to post my collection of incubi?

• Options
    I have Drazhar somewhere as well, though I think he lost an arm when I moved. I think he still holds up fairly well.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    So, a question for everyone...

@J says the finecast Dark Eldar Incubi are dog shit. And while I am loathe to distrust him of all people; I just can't dig those metal Incubi models. If I go with the finecast ones what horrors am I getting myself into? Also, what glue works on resin?

Flash is fine imo. I didn't have any experience with big air bubbles but maybe i'm lucky with the few FC minis I've had. The real killer is bendyness. I got a couple of big, chunky marine finecasts and they were fine. However, for fiddly delicate things like incubi i can imagine droopy swords, bendy spikes, stuff like that.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I had a bunch of finecast incubi, they were, fine, for the most part; no real deformities or bubbles to speak of, but yeah tonnes of flash to clear off.

They are super-fragile and bendy though yeah, absolutely.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    1428147733yct.jpg
    Base colors done on my very first space marines. Now to apply shading.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Smooth finish, dude. Keep it up with the shading and it'll be pro as.

• Options
    0.8mm drill + paperclips for pinning the feet = they fit so snug to the base that in most cases I don't even have to glue them in place.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Base colors done on my very first space marines. Now to apply shading.

You've successfully managed the 2 most important and difficult skills: neat color blocking and smooth, even color.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.